Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Well poo poo.....

(top row all foils)

I'm never opening a booster box again, I don't think I can ever top this one.

I saw this post and thought, "This looks a whole lot like the cards this dude opened and posted on Facebook."

Took me a minute to connect the dots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I don't suppose there exists a sealed pool generator that gives you a pool thats likely to happen in real life? I guess no one has access to print runs.

What's everyone's preferred generator for practicing making decks?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What's the best draft simulation website or app? Want to burn some time getting used to what eternal masters packs will look like.

Cube tutor probably has a bunch of people that have listed their ema boxes for draft.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 10, 2016

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

A big flaming stink posted:

I don't suppose there exists a sealed pool generator that gives you a pool thats likely to happen in real life? I guess no one has access to print runs.

What's everyone's preferred generator for practicing making decks?

xmage does a pretty good job simulating draft/sealed environments. I know some out there don't properly account for foils, or for sets like ISD the guaranteed transform card, but xmage does. Bonus points if you just want to rip through pools you can queue yourself in a solo table; or you can sit through actual drafts that will probably be reasonably accurate to an experience with players who aren't limited experts and/or grinders.

I personally draft sets on there a few times once they're spoiled before I go to actual release events so I've already got a feel for some of the things that look strong and aren't, and vice versa.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Holy crap the Sneak and Show deck is way better than all the other decks I've played in the Legacy gauntlet. Just went up against Elves, and finished two games in 8 minutes, before any other match finished game 1. Blue cards are good cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hellsau posted:

Holy crap the Sneak and Show deck is way better than all the other decks I've played in the Legacy gauntlet. Just went up against Elves, and finished two games in 8 minutes, before any other match finished game 1. Blue cards are good cards.

I remember not being impressed by sneak-and-show when I was playing painter, though that player ended up 0-3ing the gauntlet so it might not say that much. I didn't even have crypt in for game 1, just beat him down with a couple of 1/3s and countered every single show-and-tell and sneak attack.

Then in game two I stuck painter and blood moon and red blasted his basic island, which might not have optimal but certainly felt pretty legacy.jpg

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What's the best draft simulation website or app? Want to burn some time getting used to what eternal masters packs will look like.

I use Forge, but it probably doesn't have Eternal Masters.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Well poo poo.....

(top row all foils)

I'm never opening a booster box again, I don't think I can ever top this one.
That foil top... drools. Love the new art!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Sigma-X posted:

I think you're missing something, because it's pretty close to normal, just with a second dark petition for no real reason and an SDT in the main, when it could have the trop in the main and a 7th discard spell.

What do you think is wrong with it?

I think it just wasn't behaving for me for my first 2 matches (and I kept drawing into dark petition when I didn't need it) - match 3 I went off on turn 2 and turn 1 respectively

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I really want to draft this set but the EV is such absolute poo poo...

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

I really want to draft this set but the EV is such absolute poo poo...

Are you drafting for the fun of the game or because you hope to get an expensive pull in one of your 3 packs?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

80s James Hetfield posted:

Are you drafting for the fun of the game or because you hope to get an expensive pull in one of your 3 packs?

For fun but when I end up spending $45 bucks to draft and come out with a bunch of bulk rares and a few prize packs that is quite the feel bad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

80s James Hetfield posted:

If you want to draft for fun and not to gamble on the Karakas Lottery, it makes way more sense to spend $15 on a draft than $45 or $60. SOI is probably a more fun draft format anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

If you want to draft for fun and not to gamble on the Karakas Lottery, it makes way more sense to spend $15 on a draft than $45 or $60. SOI is probably a more fun draft format anyway.

This is not true.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Are there actually people who dislike SOI as a draft format? It's the best one since triple Khans IMO.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

Are there actually people who dislike SOI as a draft format? It's the best one since triple Khans IMO.

I don't dislike it but EMA is awesome. High powered formats rule.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

Hot take: triple Khans was awful.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You can build a strong peasant/budget cube for the cost of a couple EMA drafts and get to play it as much as you want if all you care about is high powered limited play.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

How does it feel to be wrong about things?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

whydirt posted:

You can build a strong peasant/budget cube for the cost of a couple EMA drafts and get to play it as much as you want if all you care about is high powered limited play.

I did this, but getting other people to play a format where they can't win packs at my shop...ugh.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

Hot take: EMA could have a larger print run, cost the same as regular sets, and still made just as much money while having an upside of being more accessible/popular.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

whydirt posted:

Good luck finding anyone who wants to play this.

Sickening posted:

Hot take: EMA could have a larger print run, cost the same as regular sets, and still made just as much money while having an upside of being more accessible/popular.

I couldn't possibly agree with this more.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Any good stratgey articles for Eternal Masters draft? I'm probably only going to get to do one and it's a 8-4 so need to make it count.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Entropic posted:

Not feeling it personally. Color balance seems off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

Any good stratgey articles for Eternal Masters draft? I'm probably only going to get to do one and it's a 8-4 so need to make it count.

LR did a good rundown. I think it was posted yesterday.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

jassi007 posted:

I did this, but getting other people to play a format where they can't win packs at my shop...ugh.

Having prizes be a primary motivator for playing Magic is something I cannot wrap my brain around. Sorry about your situation. :(

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

suicidesteve posted:

Whether you liked Triple Khans came down almost entirely to whether or not you liked Morph as a Limited Mechanic.

It was indisputably better than Fate-Khans or Dragons-Fate though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

jassi007 posted:

How does it feel to be wrong about things?

I'll let you know when I find out. :v:

Sickening posted:

That's not really a hot take, it's just common sense. It still wouldn't do anything for accessibility, which is the fake reason WotC gave us for making these sets.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Also, I do not like the werewolves mechanic at all.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

I'll let you know when I find out. :v:

That's not really a hot take, it's just common sense. It still wouldn't do anything for accessibility, which is the fake reason WotC gave us for making these sets.

Well, normal price would definitely make drafting this set more accessible.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The one thing I kind of wish this set had is a Moonmist. I only think that when I'm playing an RG deck though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

"Ugh, why is Wizards screwing us with these low value sets?!? I can't afford this."

"Draft a cube as many times as I want for free? No thank you!" :smaug:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

Reprint equity REPRINT EQUITY

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Reprint equity REPRINT EQUITY

There's only like ten valuable cards in the set so even reprint equity doesn't explain the short supply and high MSRP.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Cracked the first of my two EMA boxes (£170 paid each, about $230)

$2+ cards came to a total SCG value of $334, best value being in a Wasteland and a foil DRS. Honorable mentions go to foil counterspell, mongoose and a few other high value foils. Two mythics were Maelstrom Wanderer and Necropotence, fairly lackluster there, but I never get sad when I see Necropotence, aka my favorite card ever.

It was very much an "I'm ok with this" box opening. Nothing blew my socks off, but I got a lot of the rares and uncommons with new art I wanted and would have traded for anyway, like the Wasteland, Mystic/Enlightened tutor, sinkhole, Winter orb. The foil Counterspell is super nice.

The second box, now that's going to be something cool, and I'm going to keep the thread updated. Over the past couple of years, I've been trying to fix my life a bit. Some years ago I suffered a few fairly bad injuries which threw me off regular exercise and caused a ton of depression and sympathy eating. The result was a put on a chunk of weight that I want rid of. I'm not ZOMG huge, but now I'm fairly "healthy" again injury-wise, I want to return to my former superfit self.

So here's my thing.

Every 2lb I lose, I get a booster. Simple. Today I weighed in at 211.4lb after stabilizing my diet for a week (last week I was 218lb). My end goal is 154lb. I'm actually about 4-5 boosters short, so I'm considering working out good milestones and getting some super-sweet boosters/product to fill that out.

I'm *aiming* at 1.5lb loss a week through calorie counting, but the last time I lost a chunk of weight this way I was hitting 2lb+ loss a week easy. I just slipped because a whole load of lovely/stressful life things happened all together.

Wish me luck!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Xaerael posted:

$2+ cards came to a total SCG value of $334, best value being in a Wasteland and a foil DRS. Honorable mentions go to foil counterspell, mongoose and a few other high value foils. Two mythics were Maelstrom Wanderer and Necropotence, fairly lackluster there, but I never get sad when I see Necropotence, aka my favorite card ever.

It was very much an "I'm ok with this" box opening. Nothing blew my socks off, but I got a lot of the rares and uncommons with new art I wanted and would have traded for anyway, like the Wasteland, Mystic/Enlightened tutor, sinkhole, Winter orb. The foil Counterspell is super nice.

The second box, now that's going to be something cool, and I'm going to keep the thread updated. Over the past couple of years, I've been trying to fix my life a bit. Some years ago I suffered a few fairly bad injuries which threw me off regular exercise and caused a ton of depression and sympathy eating. The result was a put on a chunk of weight that I want rid of. I'm not ZOMG huge, but now I'm fairly "healthy" again injury-wise, I want to return to my former superfit self.

So here's my thing.

Every 2lb I lose, I get a booster. Simple. Today I weighed in at 211.4lb after stabilizing my diet for a week (last week I was 218lb). My end goal is 154lb. I'm actually about 4-5 boosters short, so I'm considering working out good milestones and getting some super-sweet boosters/product to fill that out.

I'm *aiming* at 1.5lb loss a week through calorie counting, but the last time I lost a chunk of weight this way I was hitting 2lb+ loss a week easy. I just slipped because a whole load of lovely/stressful life things happened all together.

Wish me luck!

The ultimate reward is the foil fow in the last pack.

Good luck bud.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

^ Look at this goon trying not to be a goon anymore. Good luck buddy!

Sickening posted:

Well, normal price would definitely make drafting this set more accessible.

I meant for the formats it's supposed to be supporting. The only thing this is doing is making some MTGO pauper decks $40 cheaper, which is cool, and making legacy burn like $60 cheaper, which is awful.

Also it made all the reserved list cards spike hard so this set could bring the value of every card in it to $0 and it wouldn't have made legacy any cheaper.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Xaerael posted:

So here's my thing.

Wish me luck!

Now this is value.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don't know if Wizards is ever going to get over their Chronicles-phobia and do a reprint set with a large enough print run to actually be sold at MSRP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

I don't know if Wizards is ever going to get over their Chronicles-phobia and do a reprint set with a large enough print run to actually be sold at MSRP.

I bet alot of stores will sell EMA at face just like alot of stores sold MM15 at face.

• Locked thread