Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Afford? :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

thecluckmeme posted:

The bar I frequent in town has a Glenfidditch 21-year-old that I get for a slight discount because the bartender knows gently caress-all about scotch, so when I ask for it neat she gives me a full rocks glass of it for the price of what they'd charge if she poured it over a full rocks glass of ice. :cawg: $18 for a full rocks glass of 21 year old scotch is the best.

But yeah, my real Bourbon love is Woodford Reserve, but like gently caress am I going to be able to shell out 50 bucks for a 750 every time I want bourbon. Wild Turkey's just good enough, in the supply my small-rear end town gives me, for half the price. It's better than Ancient Age at least.

WT101 is a pretty great price/bourbon ratio, and I heartily recommend it to people who need bourbon on a budget.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!

Twiggymouse posted:

Are you one of those folk who can't have dark liquor, at all?

Yes, and throw vodka onto the list as well just for the hell of it. I pretty much just drink gin nowadays, though if I'm visiting my Swiss friends I'll drink kirschwasser or schnapps, and when I lived in Slovakia I became very well acquainted with slivovitsa.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Slivovitz and I had a dangerous relationship when I was in that part of the world but I think if I had another sip of it I might die.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
Of my four Slovak roommates, I could only communicate with one (we both spoke German as a second language). His father-in-law made his own slivovitsa, of which said roommate and I drank an entire bottle while chatting one night. I mean he just poured another shot every ten minutes and we downed it with a "Na zdravie!" and just kept on trucking.

And I woke up at 7:30 the next morning fresh as a daisy.

But ONE SIP OF WHISKEY and I'm a barf monster for an entire day.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It's actually really fortunate for me that we're on an alcohol tangent right now. One of my friends gifted me a bottle of this stuff in celebration of me striking out of my own today:

Anyone vouch for the taste? I tend to be a big fan of scotch. Apparently it set him back 100 bucks though so I want to know if it's especially good - I'll want to know whether or not to save it for some really good company or not.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Did you guys all just turn 21 or something?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Coolguy is an astonishing lightweight.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Orv posted:

Coolguy is an astonishing lightweight.

Bullshit, I just enjoy a good drink and I'm not afraid to show it.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

SpookyLizard posted:

WT101 is a pretty great price/bourbon ratio, and I heartily recommend it to people who need bourbon on a budget.

I tried bourbon once and it was just vanilla and nothing else, am I missing something or is it just that I'm non-American?

e: lp's cool, and I just watched dark messiah which was great and probably a ton more fun than playing it with all the fun physics myself

a cow fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 6, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

a cow posted:

I tried bourbon once and it was just vanilla and nothing else, am I missing something or is it just that I'm non-American?
Have you tried it with ice or otherwise tried diluting it with water? Apparently that's a common technique to reduce the taste of pure alcohol that distilled spirits often have. Last summer my family went to see my great-aunt in Louisville, Kentucky for her 90th birthday. Along the way we went on a factory tour of the Evan Williams plant, complete with a tasting at the end, which is how I received the prior advice.

Or maybe I'm just a wimp when it comes to alcohol. I've never liked beer (despite trying a fair variety), so if I want something comparable I usually have to look for hard cider. And if I try anything with distilled spirits it often ends up tasting like flavored alcohol rather than whatever you connaisseurs claim, so :shrug:. (My preferred drink at a bar is "Malibu and pineapple"; my sister has referred to this as "sunshine".)

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

NGDBSS posted:

Have you tried it with ice or otherwise tried diluting it with water? Apparently that's a common technique to reduce the taste of pure alcohol that distilled spirits often have. Last summer my family went to see my great-aunt in Louisville, Kentucky for her 90th birthday. Along the way we went on a factory tour of the Evan Williams plant, complete with a tasting at the end, which is how I received the prior advice.

Or maybe I'm just a wimp when it comes to alcohol. I've never liked beer (despite trying a fair variety), so if I want something comparable I usually have to look for hard cider. And if I try anything with distilled spirits it often ends up tasting like flavored alcohol rather than whatever you connaisseurs claim, so :shrug:. (My preferred drink at a bar is "Malibu and pineapple"; my sister has referred to this as "sunshine".)

I guess I got turned on to scotch which just tastes of smoke and wood and everything good. Bourbon is like vodka, but American-style sweet with vanilla.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

a cow posted:

I guess I got turned on to scotch which just tastes of smoke and wood and everything good. Bourbon is like vodka, but American-style sweet with vanilla.
The funny thing about that is that your scotch might have been made in the same barrel as was used for bourbon, especially if that scotch is a cheap brand. See, one of the (edit) Protected Designation of Origin requirements for bourbon whiskey* is that it must be made in new charred oak barrels. Old ones will not suffice. So at the end of the production process after draining whiskey for distribution, the distiller has a bunch of alcohol-infused barrels that are still usable but legally unacceptable for making bourbon. So instead of just hauling these barrels soaked with several gallons of spirits off to a landfill, the bourbon distiller will instead sell them to another distiller to be used again in the same sort of aging process.

*Apparently "whiskey" with an E is predominant in the US and Ireland, while "whisky" is predominant everywhere else.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 6, 2016

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

NGDBSS posted:

The funny thing about that is that your scotch might have been made in the same barrel as was used for bourbon, especially if that scotch is a cheap brand. See, one of the Protection of Origin requirements for bourbon whiskey* is that it must be made in new charred oak barrels. Old ones will not suffice. So at the end of the production process after draining whiskey for distribution, the distiller has a bunch of alcohol-infused barrels that are still usable but legally unacceptable for making bourbon. So instead of just hauling these barrels soaked with several gallons of spirits off to a landfill, the bourbon distiller will instead sell them to another distiller to be used again in the same sort of aging process.

*Apparently "whiskey" with an E is predominant in the US and Ireland, while "whisky" is predominant everywhere else.

Wait, so you actually have rules to make your "whisky" be the sweetest and blandest it possibly can be? Vote Trump

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

a cow posted:

Wait, so you actually have rules to make your "whisky" be the sweetest and blandest it possibly can be? Vote Trump
Spirits of that caliber all taste like flavored alcohol to me, so I don't drink the stuff in the first place :shrug:. But yeah, bourbon has a bunch of rules on it for consistency and whatnot that are pretty common for foods like alcoholic beverages and cheeses where a particular region or culture wants to keep its "brand" intact in the age of international trade. Ever wonder why the term "sparkling wine" exists? It's because "champagne" is a protected term held by the corresponding region in France, and thus any imitators have to call their product something else. Hell, scotch has a corresponding set of rules on its production (though "new barrels" isn't one of them).

Maybe it's the local water supply? Most bourbon comes from Kentucky and is thus influenced by the Ohio River basin; the Evan Williams folks definitely touted that facet of production.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

NGDBSS posted:

Spirits of that caliber all taste like flavored alcohol to me, so I don't drink the stuff in the first place :shrug:. But yeah, bourbon has a bunch of rules on it for consistency and whatnot that are pretty common for foods like alcoholic beverages and cheeses where a particular region or culture wants to keep its "brand" intact in the age of international trade. Ever wonder why the term "sparkling wine" exists? It's because "champagne" is a protected term held by the corresponding region in France, and thus any imitators have to call their product something else. Hell, scotch has a corresponding set of rules on its production (though "new barrels" isn't one of them).

Maybe it's the local water supply? Most bourbon comes from Kentucky and is thus influenced by the Ohio River basin; the Evan Williams folks definitely touted that facet of production.

I have no idea what they do to them, but those good whiskys just have that tar and smoke and... something that makes you feel like you're out there by your tent or boathouse or whatever inhaling smoke from the fire and just being at peace with, and in, nature. You don't even have to drink a lot, because it tastes SO much and you can just smell it for minutes before even taking a sip

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've got a horribly uncultured palate and alcohol's never tasted like much of anything other than alcohol to me. I'll have a margarita every once in a while because my friend likes to make them, but other than that I do mixers-only stuff like coke and grapefruit juice. I'm a sad drunk too, so alcohol isn't even fun in that respect.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I once gave a buddy of mine a bit of Laphroaig and he drank it like a shot.

Don't do that.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
At least he didn't mix it with coke :v:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Shall we gather for whiskey and more whiskey tonight? Let's Play Dishonored

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

IronSaber posted:

Shove off taffer

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
* Choffer.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I agree with taffer

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

George posted:

I once gave a buddy of mine a bit of Laphroaig and he drank it like a shot.

Don't do that.

There's a special place in hell reserved for men who waste good whiskey.

IronSaber posted:

I feel this is an appropriate title for the DLC.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Corvo drinks all the whiskey in the house while Daud does the monkey.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So my favorite blend is High West's Son of Bourye:

It's a nice mix of silky and slow burn. On the sweeter side, but not too much. Rye whiskeys in general are what I've fallen in love with.

The girlfriend prefers single malts, and her favorite go-to is Knappogue Castle:

However, it seems both of these are in short stock. The Son of Bourye is nowhere to be found anymore around my area, and her Knappogue changed their recipe and the gf doesn't like it anymore.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

High Chaos Update

A Captain of Industry (part 2):
Youtube Polsy

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I am saddened that you don't get to see the place go up in flames.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The whalesaw's operating manual that roboky found explained the minigun mode: it chips its own blade and spews out the fragments, meant for long distance flensing.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Fish Noise posted:

The whalesaw's operating manual that roboky found explained the minigun mode: it chips its own blade and spews out the fragments, meant for long distance flensing.

I figured it was somewhere in there and I missed actually reading it. I'm almost disappointed they explain it though.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm not quite sure how he got incinerated - Dishonored DLC

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Poor whale. :(

That was so freaky the first time I saw it too. Oh gods what the hell is this? :gonk:

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I've only just realised that the PS4 version comes with the DLC, I guess? I like that Daud's version of Blink has the neat difference of stopping time, but I'm finding it kind of awkward to adjust to. I'm sure once you've got it down it's really useful.

Also, I don't think you fail if you kill Billie. At least, it doesn't fail you automatically. I once killed her by accident and the game didn't seem to do anything about it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheDarkFlame posted:

I've only just realised that the PS4 version comes with the DLC, I guess? I like that Daud's version of Blink has the neat difference of stopping time, but I'm finding it kind of awkward to adjust to. I'm sure once you've got it down it's really useful.

Also, I don't think you fail if you kill Billie. At least, it doesn't fail you automatically. I once killed her by accident and the game didn't seem to do anything about it.

I'm gonna guess you do. I accidentally goomba stomped her at one point in my playthrough and it auto-failed me. (Irreconcilable hostilities)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The first thing I did when I started my most recent playthrough of the DLC was stab Billie. Standard execution, Irreconcilable Hostilities.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TheDarkFlame posted:

I like that Daud's version of Blink has the neat difference of stopping time, but I'm finding it kind of awkward to adjust to.

Heh. Hahahahaha. Ohhhh, you'll see some poo poo.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I was practically yelling at my monitor the entire time because Roboky never shot a man with a bullet just to explode his whale oil tanks.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

thecluckmeme posted:

I was practically yelling at my monitor the entire time because Roboky never shot a man with a bullet just to explode his whale oil tanks.
Oh good, I wasn't the only person who was disappointed by Roboky not shooting the oil tanks.

Seriously, how could you pass up such an obvious opportunity, Roboky?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Coolguye has gone on record stating, somewhere on SA anyway, that back mounted gas tanks are god's gift to men. This was all part of Roboky's subconscious plan to devastate Coolguye at heart, even if Coolguye didn't realize it as other things were happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
He ain't wrong.

• Locked thread