Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

The weird thing is, that's completely consistent with the Bible. Rend onto Ceasar, etc...

Nope! Guarandrattee you it will result in little enclaves declaring themselves sovereign, which is the exact opposite of the render quote. This situation worked out so well at Waco, after all. Not to mention the aforementioned abuse issues, economic troubles, pockets of extremely low education... bad new all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Thundercracker posted:

The weird thing is, that's completely consistent with the Bible. Rend onto Ceasar, etc...

If the religious wright really cared about the bible they would be a whole lot different and possibly a force for good.

one thing you'll learn is that they are very selective about the bible, if they even bother to read it at all. Plus a whole lot of mental gymnastics.

I remember one bullshit thing I delt with in my youth was jean are a sin. The argument being that to be more christ like we shouldnt wear jeans. I got some people pissed when I pointed out that JESUS NEVER WORE PANTS.

I have a chuckle gently caress on facebook responding to kasich failure with a post "but my vote will count in heaven"

I ranted about heaven isnt a loving democracy, got a line about how paul talked about how the church is the body of christ blah blah blah.

Thats why I said that christian is changing not into a religious practice but a political one.

The most common form I've seen with people is when they join a church they like, AKA one that tells them everything they want to hear. When argue with this people they bring up

MY RELIGION AND MY GOD HOLD THE SEX SHOULD BE BETWEEN ONE MARRIED MAN AND ONE MARRIED WOMAN etc. Which is really just them taking god and saying my views are god's view, and now I have to argue with why god is wrong.

Prestor can tell you what happens when you break these peoples world view or prove them wrong its really not pretty.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Doomtalker posted:

Nope! Guarandrattee you it will result in little enclaves declaring themselves sovereign, which is the exact opposite of the render quote. This situation worked out so well at Waco, after all. Not to mention the aforementioned abuse issues, economic troubles, pockets of extremely low education... bad new all around.

Also as a group they have little interest in most of what their Lord actually said, so why start now?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

this is so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziwYbVx_-qg

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Older post but it reminded me that the World Health Organization has announced that the best strategy to combat the spread of Zika in largely affected countries is to delay pregnancy. Multiple countries are now at a point where their best course of action isn't medicine or environmental action but to to avoid pregnancies altogether.

Could Zika be the thing that unites both parties behind Government-provided birth control?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that really paints the whole email thing in a much better light, and it almost suggest that not having a private server would actually have been worse due to the low security and ancient technology they had.

To put it in perspective, remember Lois Learner's email was kept only on her PC as a local PST because the IRS couldn't afford storage on the main server OR a backup system and when the hard drive crapped out on her junker PC, it was lost.

And that's the head of the IRS.

McAlister posted:

One of the accusations in the right wing media is that she sneaker-netted a few classified documents from a SIPRNet terminal to the unclassified email system. The quote you'll see for that will have a snippet from her emails with the word "nonpaper" in it ... which is industry jargon for removing the classified bits so that you can release the rest. telling an aid to make it nonpaper and send it is not a problem.

Precisely. The specific thing nonpapered were her upcoming travel plans.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 10, 2016

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anyone got some any ideas on what I can do to show my Clinton isn't a bad choice? His issues are roughly

Illegal immigration bad, but no white guy wants those jobs anyways legal immigration should be enforced though

He was career military is is Bush level hawkish. Not glass the Middle East but he's an interventionist and loves drones because it keeps troops safe

For whatever reason he thinks the EPA is killing WV but we are doing a fine loving job of that ourselves

Uh, oh and evolution is just a theory and they need to teach the other options in school

Most blacks aren't bad but they need to step up and break the cycle *cites the black family in our neighbohood*

Man no wonder it took me so long to not be a lovely person gently caress.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

End of Life Guy posted:

Could Zika be the thing that unites both parties behind Government-provided birth control?

Unlikely. The modern GOP has a significant religious wing that would be both against contraception and against aborting microencephalitic fetuses.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Uh, oh and evolution is just a theory and they need to teach the other options in school

I usually respond to this with gravity is "just a theory", and we actually understand evolution more than gravity.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place. I have had arguments (from a purely neo-keynesian point of view, not even arguing marxist poo poo) with many people who are roughly as you described and straight up asked them if there was any piece of data or evidence that will at least make them reconsider their position. 90% of them said no emphatically.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

No, thank you. It's going to help when my Bernie supporter friends bring up those subjects and act like the choice between Trump and Hillary is literally like choosing between Hitler and Stalin.

We could only be so lucky :swoon:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Seems like in that situation we should just follow the historical precedent and pick Stalin

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

max4me posted:

I remember one bullshit thing I delt with in my youth was jean are a sin. The argument being that to be more christ like we shouldnt wear jeans. I got some people pissed when I pointed out that JESUS NEVER WORE PANTS.

Shows what you know, smart guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta9LSx8-9Vc

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Grundulum posted:

Unlikely. The modern GOP has a significant religious wing that would be both against contraception and against aborting microencephalitic fetuses.
It's a blessing from God/you shouldn't have had sex.

Anyway my daughter needs to go visit her grandma in the closest full-access-to-abortion state, see you later sinners.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Rschooley/status/741119488947556352?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Must've been a Berniebro.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Begin the bowtie purge.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Obama opening the campaign with the charm offensive:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

derail time, I used to do a bunch of OSP work before moving into an office but the stuff that worked like a champ was this:

use permatherin for your clothes, backpack, hat, etc

use picaridin for your skin

i've never had issues with any bugs other than ants

PSA addendum: Permethrin is highly toxic to cats.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

Must've been a Berniebro.

He was playing one when they were calling him a "Democratic strategist" (he's not and never has been) if I'm remembering this case properly.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Larch posted:

He was playing one when they were calling him a "Democratic strategist" (he's not and never has been) if I'm remembering this case properly.

http://harlanhill.com

quote:

Harlan Hill got his first taste of politics working in the UK Parliament at age 15. He worked his first campaigns the following year in Liverpool on the data and field operation of the Liberal Democrat party and back home on local races in South Carolina.

Today, Hill's analysis and commentary is featured on national television, including CNN, Fox News, Fox Business, MSNBC, BBC, Newsmax and The Blaze.

:allears:

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Was looking for some funny posts and thougt Id have to dig for it and instead found several pages of mostly emptyquotes of a huge post that said the government didnt even use email in 2008. Are you retarded?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

anne frank fanfic posted:

Was looking for some funny posts and thougt Id have to dig for it and instead found several pages of mostly emptyquotes of a huge post that said the government didnt even use email in 2008. Are you retarded?

I am not confident about your reading comprehension.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Obama opening the campaign with the charm offensive:

I have a feeling Hillary is going to try do this stuff and it's going to hurt so bad.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Butts posted:

I am not confident about your reading comprehension.

Murdering autists is hard work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have a feeling Hillary is going to try do this stuff and it's going to hurt so bad.

Nah, she wants to keep temperament a big issue so she's probably going to avoid stuff like this.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

This dude thinks Trump's idea of focusing on campaigning in CA and NY for the general is strategic genius because it will 'force the dems to spend money in those states', that is complete bullshit, right?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He was career military is is Bush level hawkish. Not glass the Middle East but he's an interventionist and loves drones because it keeps troops safe

Then he'll love Hillary.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

This dude thinks Trump's idea of focusing on campaigning in CA and NY for the general is strategic genius because it will 'force the dems to spend money in those states', that is complete bullshit, right?

Yes. And I can tell you that the Republican party in CA is a garbage fire that couldn't capitalize on the spending even if they wanted to. They couldn't even get a Republican through the Senate primary; a Democrat is guaranteed to be our next Senator.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Of course. Minimal campaigning gets done in safe blue states, just enough to ensure that turnout will be high enough. The vast majority of campaigning on both sides is always done in battleground states.

However, I do think Trump will try extremely hard to win NY because it's his home state and will do way too many rallies there.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I agree with Fauxton on this, I think Hillary wants to maintain a decorum of respectability in contrast to Trump. Also, I don't even think Obama would have done this if not for being in the last 283 days of his Presidency; as he points out in the clip.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't agree. I think she actually handles this type of setting better than she does when she gives public speeches.

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Proposed design for the flag of Wisconsin:

While they're at it, they should change the state motto from "America's Dairyland" to "Drive Like Hell"

(I'm from downstate Illinois)

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

comes along bort posted:

Then he'll love Hillary.

Find forum of Bernie supporters ranting about what a war hawk she is, prep him by likening them to hippies, then get him to read it.

Seeing the same slurs that get thrown at him thrown at her by the same people should foster a sense of kinship. Defending her against them is defending himself and the act of doing it breaks conditioning to always assume she is in the wrong.

Complaints about the need to promote good family values might be reachable with quotes from It Takes A Village presented anonymously then revealed with when he agrees with them.

Edit: oh yeah, contrast the Village quotes with trump quotes about wanting to gently caress his daughter where applicable. That has a strong creep factor for a lot of dads.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

El Pollo Blanco posted:

It's "strategic genius" on the same level as Burnside charging the U.S. Army up Marye's Heights at Fredericksburg. Basically "This is such an unbelievably horrible idea that is so completely doomed to failure that the enemy will never expect it!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

VitalSigns posted:

Obama already updated the State Dept's rules so this won't happen again, the IG did a full report, the FBI is investigating, what more do you need.

Jail Clinton? Cut off her blackberryin hand? Declare her candidacy retroactively void and nominate O'Malley? Or what.

I want this guy to answer this question.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VitalSigns posted:

It's a blessing from God/you shouldn't have had sex.

Anyway my daughter needs to go visit her grandma in the closest full-access-to-abortion state, see you later sinners.

Yep, this will be their answer: stop having sex, sluts.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

El Pollo Blanco posted:

So what? Where's that money gonna come from; the GOP is not gonna pay for that kind of boondoggle, Trump doesn't want to spend money and wealthy GOP contributors are exiting this election cycle in droves. Say they do find the money, all the better for the Democrats because that's money that won't be spent in battle ground states. The Democrats are not going to be out spent and are not going to be hard up for cash. It's insane how much money has already been spent this cycle and it's only a fraction of what is going to be spent over the next 5 months. At least it's money going back into the economy instead of sitting in a bunch of rich fuckers' bank accounts.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My parents told me to abstain and that if I ever knocked a chick up I had to marry her. I paid for an abortion once :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

On the topic of this special, I turned this on (it's really quite good, Tom Hanks had a hand in producing it so it's much better than your average CNN thing) and I saw Geraldo Rivera on there calling out Ronald Reagan for his lack of response to the AIDS crisis.

What the gently caress happened to him in the 30 years between then and now to turn him into the Fox News anchor we know and dislike today?

Al Capone's vault, mostly.

• Locked thread