Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The solution to Zika is mosquito eradication. They're an invasive species in America, anyway, so gently caress 'em let's kill 'em all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Welp

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-adult-diaper-store-controversy-0610-biz-20160609-story.html

quote:

"We all don't think this type of business is appropriate for a brick-and-mortar store in this business district," said Pat O'Donnell. "That being said, the village has approved them and therefore we have to let the village handle it."

"Our concern is how the village will ensure that this business won't be detrimental to us as residents and business owners," added Anne O'Donnell.

To those who object to his business, Williams points out the storefront had been empty for several years and he will be adding tax revenue to Mount Prospect's coffers.

Despite controversy, Williams said he has no plans to leave. "I honestly don't think there's a need to move," he said.

Cassady said Mount Prospect plans to amend its zoning ordinance so unique uses such as Tykables participate in a public hearing process before being approved for a business license.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

End of Life Guy posted:

Could Zika be the thing that unites both parties behind Government-provided birth control?
Zika isn't even enough to get both parties to unite behind funding anti-Zika research.

I hadn't asked what the love child of Tucker Carlson and John Hodgman would look like, but now I know the answer.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

radical meme posted:

I agree with Fauxton on this, I think Hillary wants to maintain a decorum of respectability in contrast to Trump. Also, I don't even think Obama would have done this if not for being in the last 283 days of his Presidency; as he points out in the clip.

She already appeared on SNL in a skit that mocked her this year. She doesn't have the comedic chops of Obama, and she nods her head too much, but it's not a disaster.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jh2n5ki0KE

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

The solution to Zika is mosquito eradication. They're an invasive species in America, anyway, so gently caress 'em let's kill 'em all.

I remember riding my bike down the street as a kid behind the fogger breathing in probably malathion. Good times. The generation before was DDT, I guess. These days though, I cant recall the last time I've seen a mosquito truck.

I drop mosquito dunks in all the areas around my property that hold water, but that only does so much good if other people in the area don't do the same.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

I remember riding my bike down the street as a kid behind the fogger breathing in probably malathion. Good times. The generation before was DDT, I guess. These days though, I cant recall the last time I've seen a mosquito truck.

I drop mosquito dunks in all the areas around my property that hold water, but that only does so much good if other people in the area don't do the same.
I frequently see mosquito fogger trucks in towns near the water in Virginia; they're still going strong.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

EwokEntourage posted:

She already appeared on SNL in a skit that mocked her this year. She doesn't have the comedic chops of Obama, and she nods her head too much, but it's not a disaster.

Yikes, she doesn't have any comedic timing at all

It's actually kinda funny how terrified she is to do comedy

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Munkeymon posted:

drat right, I'll get my shotgun, let's do this

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

It's actually kinda funny how terrified she is to do comedy

Comedic timing isn't one of the qualities I'm looking for in a President. When we do get it, like with Obama, it's a nice bonus.

She just needs to have Biden appointed as VP for life, he's got enough comedy in him to cover for her.

E: VVV Yea, I wasn't trying to argue with you, I just kind of used your post as a springboard. We cool. :hfive:

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 10, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

WampaLord posted:

Comedic timing isn't one of the qualities I'm looking for in a President. When we do get it, like with Obama, it's a nice bonus.
You may notice that how it impacted her ability to be president was not part of my post

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I really don't want Hillary doing comedy. Obama is a rare diamond but when DNCers try to be cool we get Gore dancing badly or Kerry looking goofier than usual.

If she wants to show incredible disdain at idiots trying to trap her in a congressional hearing that's fine since she nailed that one.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EwokEntourage posted:

I don't think there was much consideration of the possibility that Trump would seal the nomination at that time so her expected most likely opponents were, like, Bush and Rubio. Doing grandma humor on SNL is a good tactic against them, not so much against the guy who screams about Mexican blood compromising one's integrity.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Total hypothetical I'm hoping someone with more polisci classes then me knows.

What is HRC picks Trump for VP after they are both the nominee and he accepts and drops out?

nerox
May 20, 2001

ReidRansom posted:

My neighbors and I have our yards sprayed by a crop duster. I haven't seen a mosquito in my yard in months.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What is HRC picks Trump for VP after they are both the nominee and he accepts and drops out?

Are you loving kidding me?

Like, assuming multiverse theory is true, there is no universe that exists where that happens. I can't even begin to process it as a hypothetical.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ReidRansom posted:

We have better ways than blowing toxins all over the place now. Just have to ramp up production of the genetically modified males with the built-in kill switch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/741268052512235521

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

Like, assuming multiverse theory is true, there is no universe that exists where that happens. I can't even begin to process it as a hypothetical.

Fine replace HRC and Trump with democratic and republican nominee. I'm interested in the procedural aspect.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

McAlister posted:

Another bit of misleading framing is the implication or claim that Clintons' server was set up after she was appointed SoS. In reality the Clinton family server was set up by Bill after he stepped down around 2001ish. Hillary had her blackberry hooked up to it all during the primary. Setting up a secure email server is a significant endeavor for the layman. By claiming it was done after she stepped up you make listeners suspicious and prime them to accept a devious motive. The truth that she just kept on using the setup she'd been using, otoh, flows much more naturally into Hillary's stated reason, convenience. All her poo poo was there and why mess with what works?

Just as a point of reference clintonemail.com was registered on January 15th 2009 and the server seems to have been set up by her keystone cop IT guy around the same time. How was she using it in 2001? The notion that it was a long-term email account that would be a hassle to change (with appointments, calendars etc) is made up nonsense. Not trying to "gotcha" you but with most things related to the Clintons it's genuinely hard to sift through the bullshit to get actual facts.

ozmunkeh fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 10, 2016

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I think the more interesting question is what would happen if Trump realized that his fame and infamy would last generations if, after his nomination, he renounced all things GOP and admitted his candidacy was nothing but history's greatest trolling. It's a good play for a narcissist facing an inevitable and very public loss.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Munkeymon posted:

We have better ways than blowing toxins all over the place now. Just have to ramp up production of the genetically modified males with the built-in kill switch.

CRAZY 'SCIENTISTS' WANT TO UNLEASH FRANKEN-SQUITOS ON YOUR CHILDREN!!!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Fine replace HRC and Trump with democratic and republican nominee. I'm interested in the procedural aspect.

The procedure would be completely the same. The candidate picks a running mate, there is internal vetting of the running mate but there is no official vote or anything from the party about who the running mate is. It's entirely the candidate's decision as far as I'm aware.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

theflyingorc posted:

So her appearance on SNL was totally fitting.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

WampaLord posted:

The procedure would be completely the same. The candidate picks a running mate, there is internal vetting of the running mate but there is no official vote or anything from the party about who the running mate is. It's entirely the candidate's decision as far as I'm aware.
I don't think that's right. It is customary now that the Republicans and Democrats allow the nominee to choose their running mate, but it is not necessary. There is a vote at the conventions to name the running mate, but it is now mostly a formality. The Libertarian Party (lol) do it a bit differently, and the nominee had to argue at the convention to convince delegates to vote for the running mate he wanted.

There are legal requirements in several states that the parties need to submit names on official documents to print on ballots, so it isn't just automatically whoever the nominee wants, and can switch whenever. They're voted upon at the conventions, and then that's that.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Would the GOP get to nominate someone else or would the new GOP be required to run third party?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Would the GOP get to nominate someone else or would the new GOP be required to run third party?

If the GOP had such a hard on for getting rid of Trump that they'd do all this next level political acrobatics they could just simply have a majority vote of the convention rules committee and strip his delegates.

But they can't.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kinda late in the game for that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

comes along bort posted:

Kinda late in the game for that.

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/741275006848634880

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Yep like I said, kinda late to be wishing death on the president.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

comes along bort posted:

I just figure that when called on it the sitting Senator trying to cast avada kedavra on the President would try to say that he just meant his term of office; I"m just making it clear the psalm is about the dude dying in agony.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

I really don't want Hillary doing comedy. Obama is a rare diamond but when DNCers try to be cool we get Gore dancing badly or Kerry looking goofier than usual.

If she wants to show incredible disdain at idiots trying to trap her in a congressional hearing that's fine since she nailed that one.

36 of the last 40 years have had very charismatic and personable presidents, and we've seen a lot of stuffy awkward people lose the presidency in that time. So we've decided that the president HAS to be personable, and it's phenomenally not a good look for hillary.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

I have received several messages from Goons asking about my opinion Re: how Trump will handle the pressure of a real General election. I have (with permission) reprinted one of those messages here so that I can properly address the subject.

To explain my analysis of what the impending Trump meltdown will look like (I am quite certain we are going to witness the rare instance of a narcissist dropping their mask and revealing their true ugliness, and I think we are going to witness it on live TV) I will first need to elaborate a bit on my perception of who Trump is and how his conflict with Hillary will play out.

As mentioned in earlier posts, Trump is a clinical narcissist. While many people understand that this means “a very selfish individual” I would like to explain that clinical Narcissism is a bit more complicated than that.

A couple of things. One, Trump has always claimed to sleep four or five hours a night. Second, he seemed to suffer a chronic lack of attention as a child, with a father that would only value him for his success, with an obligatory imported strict German nanny raising him before being sent to boarding school. It seems like that pattern has continued.

quote:

The Trump kids, Meyers posited to me, were very much raised to reflect their father’s image of himself. “They learned very early on to be loved and to fit in with the image their father prized so much,” he said. “What narcissistic parents usually do is they want compliance, and boy, we have no better example of children who seem to be complying with their father and his agenda than these children.” (Growing up, “what he cared about was respect,” Ivanka recalled in a recent Politico Magazine profile. “You would never hear us yelling at our parents or using a tone that was inappropriate or disrespectful. Even a tone.”)

Trump, after all, is not only their father; he is also their professional mentor and boss. (Ivanka does have her own successful fashion line outside the Trump Organization.) “Mustn’t they have feared they could get fired if they didn’t mirror their father’s exact wishes?” Meyers asked.

This fear has manifested itself frequently on the campaign trail during moments in which Trump has been onstage with his children fielding questions about him. A question is posed—“What do you bond over?,” “Does he speak to you differently than he does his opponents?,” “Does he really hate women?”—and if you catch the candidate’s expression in the frame, you’ll see it. He doesn’t make eye contact with the child in the hot seat; instead there’s an indirect, perceptible force field between them. Inevitably, the child answers on message, in a warmly humanized, sharp, sincere-sounding way, and that unspoken tension eases into a tiny smirk on Trump’s face, as if it to say: “Job well done, children.” As with all things regarding the candidate, it’s hard to know if Trump planned it to turn out like this, or if he’s just faking it every step of the way.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/05/donald-trump-kids-normal

Trump has always been in the public eye, and suffered a fall in its glare plenty of times before. Wouldn't that inure him to what's going to happen in November.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

comes along bort posted:

It's ok, they've got it covered. The right has been using Psalm 109:8 to talk about Obama since 2009.

http://schott.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/psalm-1098-let-his-days-be-few/?_r=0

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zoux posted:

I just figure that when called on it the sitting Senator trying to cast avada kedavra on the President would try to say that he just meant his term of office; I"m just making it clear the psalm is about the dude dying in agony.

I'm still surprised no one's actually shot at Obama after all these years. It was even a plot point in a Tom Clancy novel from well before Obama came along: the young, charismatic, popular black candidate for president (Tom Clancy so he's a Republican of course) is assassinated by a KKK member.

I'm going to be surprised if no one tries to assassinate Hillary, too.

Bushiz posted:

36 of the last 40 years have had very charismatic and personable presidents, and we've seen a lot of stuffy awkward people lose the presidency in that time. So we've decided that the president HAS to be personable, and it's phenomenally not a good look for hillary.

It's not a good look for Trump, either.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Inferior Third Season posted:

I don't think that's right. It is customary now that the Republicans and Democrats allow the nominee to choose their running mate, but it is not necessary. There is a vote at the conventions to name the running mate, but it is now mostly a formality. The Libertarian Party (lol) do it a bit differently, and the nominee had to argue at the convention to convince delegates to vote for the running mate he wanted.

There are legal requirements in several states that the parties need to submit names on official documents to print on ballots, so it isn't just automatically whoever the nominee wants, and can switch whenever. They're voted upon at the conventions, and then that's that.

Yeah, this - the party still votes on the VP nominee. There was (still might be?) some speculation/murmurs in regards to this on the GOP side: here's just one article on it. It's almost certainly an absurd notion, but a thought was: Cruz's (and other) delegates, while many are forced/obliged to vote Trump on the first X votes... could they be numerous enough stage a rebellion on the VP vote?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Grey Fox posted:

I frequently see mosquito fogger trucks in towns near the water in Virginia; they're still going strong.

Some cursory googling tells me they're still used all over here in Texas too. Just not in my part, it seems.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I'm still surprised no one's actually shot at Obama after all these years. It was even a plot point in a Tom Clancy novel from well before Obama came along: the young, charismatic, popular black candidate for president (Tom Clancy so he's a Republican of course) is assassinated by a KKK member.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA9QBZr8WEg

Black-ish is an extremely good show yall.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Cythereal posted:

I'm going to be surprised if no one tries to assassinate Hillary, too.
People absolutely, positively have tried, they just haven't made it anywhere close. It's not an easy thing to get a concealed firearm within 50 yards of Obama, because there's a lot of very talented people doing everything in their power to prevent that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Except that one guy in the elevator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA9QBZr8WEg

Black-ish is an extremely good show yall.

Well drat, that's another show I'm adding to my "To watch" list.

• Locked thread