Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

chaosrefined posted:

If that does end up being the case, could I ask to join as well please?

Sure why not.

It's going to be first-come-first-serve by tomorrow at 3 PM EST

Slur fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
Fair enough, thanks very much!

I'm interested to see how this latest match turns out, as I don't think I've seen anyone play as Grimm yet.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Grimm is all about the First Plan Best Plan lifestyle.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

grand final more like grand whinal

hi again slur

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Dabir posted:

grand final more like grand whinal

hi again slur

Hi Dabir.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
perhaps my grand strategy of #fuckrecons would have worked if it wasn't CONSTANTLY loving SNOWING

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Gamerofthegame posted:

perhaps my grand strategy of #fuckrecons would have worked if it wasn't CONSTANTLY loving SNOWING

Clearly, you should have picked Olaf.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Semifinals - Match 2: GameroftheGame vs Paul.Power

Another semifinal match, another fog of war game, another two players, and this tournament has almost come to an end! This time, GameroftheGame and Paul.Power face off with one another and see who gets to face Doctor Reynolds in the finals. Going back through the replay of the last match, I was extremely satisfied with the results that I got from switching fog on, and I honestly am hoping that (as I write this update) the next match will yield the same level of competitive excitement. Again, though the replays do not show off where the fog envelopes each player, it'd be best to take into consideration just how far a player can see in regards to the fog that is around them while the game goes on. If you aren't aware of a unit's vision range, a handy chart is available here for you to take a glance at, as to see each unit's statline.

If you don't want to go chart-reading, then keep in mind these simple points: recons, submarines, missiles, and infantry/mech placed on mountains have a vision range of 5 spaces around them, which is the highest amount of vision a unit can give to the player. Considering that indirect combat units and higher-tier units such as medium tanks have only a vision of 1 space, it's up to the player to combine destructive units with high-vision units to seize victory, as one cannot function without the other.

Before seeing who can use the element of surprise to their advantage the best, let's go over our map and COs:

Cities, mountains, and roads sprawl out to make quite the chaotic map. The reason I chose this map for the players, however, was because I noticed that woods covered half the map, which would make for some interesting fog tactics, assuming the players decide to utilize them. More interestingly is the two seaports which are sitting in the near-center of each player's side of the map. They don't do anything, but if you park a battleship in the middle of one of them, they could lead to a nasty surprise attack or two...assuming either player gathers 28000G to build one.

Comm. towers sit on either side of the map, close enough to either player's base so that they could be captured, but far away enough that they can be contested at will from either side. The extra offense doesn't hurt in fog of war: even a 1 HP unit is useful due to its ability to act as a scout for the player who controls it.

GameroftheGame has stuck to his mainstay of Kindle for this round, while Paul.Power has chosen a CO we haven't seen in this tournament:

Grimm:

• Day-to-day: Units have 30% extra offense. Units have 20% less defense.
  • CO Power: Knuckleduster - Units gain 30% more attack power.
  • Super CO Power: Haymaker - Units gain 60% more attack power.

No CO explanation will be simpler than Grimm's, and yet there is nary a CO who is as difficult to play as and master as Grimm. With only 80% to his defensive line, Grimm's units are like paper, and can be cut through very easily by COs with high passive boosts to their attack. Sami and Max remain dangerous opponents to Grimm as a result, and Lash can win in infantry-versus-infantry city contests with Grimm. If a player gets an early first strike on Grimm, it will be extremely hard for the player using Grimm to make a comeback from the assault.

Does that make Grimm a bad CO? Far from it. In fact, in playtesting with various people, I've noticed that Grimm is probably one of the most dangerous COs to be playing against in a fog of war environment. With a strikingly high 130% offensive power (only matched passively by Kanbei, who is banned from the tournament), Grimm's units hit like trucks. Because of this high offensive power, Grimm's biggest strength is getting units off of the field without having to worry about the luck factor letting a unit survive with 1 HP left. In fog of war, that single HP is the difference between letting an opponent know exactly what you're up to, and leaving an opponent completely guessing. Thus, Grimm being able to make these aggressive assaults in fog of war while leaving the opponent's guessing is what his biggest strength is. Knuckleduster can assure a few kills on those unfortunate units which did get a single hit or two in, while Haymaker can allow Grimm to one-shot stray tanks with his own tanks.

Just how will Paul's Grimm do against GameroftheGame's Kindle, though? Let's find out!

Grey Sky - End of Day 5

Both players have been extremely patient up to this point in the game, building infantry and making sure to capture the properties around them as much as they possibly can before bringing out the big guns. Paul decides to be the first with a unit besides an infantry, as he builds a recon on top of the base that he captured on day 3. Contrast to the last game, where both players were anxious as can be to get a recon out as soon as possible. This is probably because both players were close enough to each other to start pumping out offensive units more readily, but each player this time around is far more patient.

It might have to do with CO choice as well: Kindle is a unit who does rely on properties to maintain her advantage far more than other COs, while Paul needs the funding to pump out more powerful units sooner to create a strong offensive advantage. Though all COs need properties to function, it's more noticable with Grimm and Kindle as the selected COs.

Red Fire - End of Day 6

Paul lets off the first attack of this match, using his recon to start harrassing GameroftheGame's infantry. Despite having the 140% attack advantage on cities, GameroftheGame's infantry still only has 100% defense, and a 3 HP infantry is not scratching a full HP recon, even with Grimm's low defenses. With nothing to defend his right side, GameroftheGame might need to consider building some more offensive units starting on the next turn or so. Paul has also brought out a tank to add to his offense.

GameroftheGame built a t-copter in his last turn. I wonder what that's going to be used for...

Grey Sky - End of Day 7

It isn't what GameroftheGame does this turn which kind of makes me raise an eyebrow, it's what he doesn't do: instead of building towards an offensive unit with his funding, he decides to build more infantry off of his bases. I don't get why; if he knows that a recon is coming his way, he should be looking to the offensive. Then again, maybe he doesn't see that so much as a threat as of the moment, as much as he cares about simply getting that property advantage and unit numbers. Maybe he's saving up for something bigger. I wouldn't know.

I'm kind of surprised at the sheer amount of weather changes happening in this game. So far, in this round, there has been two bouts of snow, and (off-screen) one bout of rain. It does give GameroftheGame one extra turn to think about what he's going to deploy to stop Paul's recon, anyways.

Gamer did some damge to Paul's capturing infantry on the city near the northern port this turn, anyways. Though this seems like just another move, it's the next turn which really sells this one for me:

Red Fire - End of Day 7

Rather than continue his capture, Paul decides to attack right back against that infantry, bringing it down to 4 HP, and Paul's infantry down to 1. A smart move: Paul wouldn't have been able to capture the city or retreat his infantry anyways, so he might as well do as much damage as he can. With 80% defense, it would have been foolish to just keep capturing anyways.

Paul builds another recon to the southwest. We might see him build some defenses in the southwest soon.

Grey Sky - End of Day 9

While Paul.Power is leading in with some tanks and some recon, it seems GameroftheGame has something else in mind: b-copters. Two of them, in fact, and they're both heading southbound towards Paul's forces. Thankfully for GameroftheGame, Paul.Power hasn't pushed too far into his territory yet, so these might be the weapons needed to put Paul.Power out of commission, especially since Paul doesn't have any deployed counters for b-copters yet. That t-copter is making its way south as well. Perhaps GameroftheGame is looking for that stealth capture.

GameroftheGame is also gunning for both ports right now. He might get the upper-right one, but the upper left one won't be taken so easily.

Red Fire - End of Day 9

Paul.Power plays this turn rather boldly, sending out both of his recons out into the open to deal with two of GameroftheGame's infantry. If I were Paul, I would have held back on those moves until I could go for the kill, but I assume Paul wants to ensure that he has the funding advantage by any means necessary. He does destroy the other infantry making the capture on the one port, which is good for Paul going forward as to secure that funding advantage. However, his recon in the northwest might be sacrificed due to his aggressive-as-can-be assault.

Paul's built an anti-air on his rightmost base. Perhaps he predicted a b-copter coming his way eventually.

Grey Sky - End of Day 10

While Paul dominates the east side of the map, GameroftheGame is dominating the west. With a large force of infantry, he not only prevents Paul's recon from advancing by tanking hits from Paul's recon, but also has a few battle copters moving that way. GameroftheGame also opts to ignore Paul's recon near the port, perhaps in fear of an anti-air waiting for him behind the corner. GameroftheGame seems to be focusing all of his fire on the west, and letting the east go. Maybe he's hoping to get an early capture on Paul's HQ before anything else happens, or just wants Paul to focus his units back over on the west in hopes that he loses momentum on the east. Reinforcing that theory is GameroftheGame building not one, but two tanks on the left side of the map, and leaving only an infantry on the right side.

Grey Sky - End of Day 11

Finally, GameroftheGame takes some action in the east by building a tank, but what's most striking is how well he's doing in the west: with both tanks coming in and coming in strong, as well as two b-copters, GameroftheGame has quite a bit of control over the offensive. His b-copter near the northern port took down Paul's recon, and many other units are marching in and pushing back against Paul's forces. One infantry is within capturing range of Paul's HQ as well. Paul has enough defenses to subvert any HQ capture attempts at this point though: with a b-copter and a newly built recon, he can probably see what's coming in the next turn or so.

GameroftheGame's t-copter is just outside of Paul's vision range as well (which is the luckiest break GameroftheGame could have gotten with that copter). You may be wondering "well can't Paul's infantry on top of the port see it?" The answer is no: in rainy conditions, all units lose 1 to their vision range. The more you know!

Red Fire - End of Day 11

Paul fights back this turn on the west side of the map by bringing down GameroftheGame's b-copter to 1 HP, meaning that the most it can do is act as a vision scout for the next turn or so. He also advances on the east side of the map, showing no mercy along his way. The only unit which can truly do damage to Paul on that side of the map is the full HP b-copter that GameroftheGame has deployed, as well as that newly built tank.

On the east side, Paul has a bit more to worry about though, in the form of two tanks. If GameroftheGame plays those right, Paul will lose momentum once more in the west.

Grey Sky - End of Day 12

Urban blight is activated this turn, leaving 5 of Paul's infantry damaged. Considering that Paul has been advancing on some of GameroftheGame's properties, this will give GameroftheGame one more turn to deal with Paul's capturing infantry. The most devastating blow to Paul this turn is that GameroftheGame took down not one, but two of Paul's recons on the west side of the map, while damaging Paul's tank on the east side of the map near the northern port. Damaging some of Paul's most vital units, GameroftheGame might regain the advantage.

Oh hey, there's quite a few infantry near that HQ over there. It'd be a shame if something were to happen to it.

Red Fire - End of Day 12

With one CO power comes the next, and so Paul activates Knuckleduster and does a lot of damage in the west: one tank brings GameroftheGame's tank on the city down to 5 HP, while Paul gets a 5 HP counterattack. Paul's b-copter also does 8 damage to the other tank on the west side of the map. The rest is more or less infantry attacking infantry on that side.

On the east side, GameroftheGame takes a much larger hit, losing a tank and a b-copter to anti-air and surrounding infantry. Paul also succeeds in laying siege to more cities on the east side of the map. With that much of his assault crippled, GameroftheGame might need to rethink his strategy.

Grey Sky - End of Day 13

A minor misplay on GameroftheGame's part here was not using his infantry in the forest to attempt an HQ capture last turn. Instead, he landed his infantry from his t-copter on top of it, giving Paul an extra turn to react. Paul does have the units to back himself up against that assault on the HQ, but even then I can't help but wonder if GameroftheGame positioned his units differently if things would have turned out differently.

Considering GameroftheGame's units are beaten up pretty badly at this point, and Paul has advanced as far as he has into enemy territory, things aren't looking so hot for GameroftheGame.

Red Fire - End of Day 13

Not only does Paul break through that wall of units in the south and stop an HQ capture, but he also manages to capture a whopping 4 properties this turn, giving Paul a 9 property advantage over GameroftheGame. With Paul aiming for the northern port, GameroftheGame's units battered as badly as they are, and Paul making such a heavy advance in the eastern front...

Grey Sky - End of Day 18

GameroftheGame resigns. Paul moves onwards to the finals, and will be facing Doctor Reynolds for the prestigious prize of a Something Awful forum avatar change.

Though I've noted players moving too quick to building offensive units in some games, this time GameroftheGame didn't play aggressively enough to play up to Grimm's weaknesses, and thus lost the advantage rather quickly against Paul's extremely aggressive tactics. In most situations, Kindle would have gotten some advantage by situating her units on cities and waiting for units to strike her first, but that tactic doesn't work against Grimm, who thrives on heavy assaults and doesn't care about counterattack damage in the least.

The finals are coming up soon. The last map has been selected. This LP is nearly at its end. This notepad file I've been writing updates in is pretty darn long when I come to think about it. Who will claim the prize as Something Awful's best Advance Wars player? Find out next time in the final parts of this LP!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

The final map will be this one: http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=53960

Javier is banned from being used this round in addition to the standard bans, due to the excessive amount of comm. towers. Fog is on. Good luck, you two.

Slur fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 2, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

protip to the players, there are a few non-javier COs who really benefit from comm towers. see if you can figure out which ones.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

fun fact about snow; when it's snowing an infantry can't go up onto a mountain. It was snowing all the time. I was relying on infantry going on mountains.

scream

To be honest, I would cite that as my main defeat; while I didn't play to well (FoW maps are my bane) Paul being able to see me via scattered recons and my inability to hustle up a mountain meant Grimm could just punch me in the face out of no where with his massive damage every time.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Great game, both of you. Grimm is one of my favorite COs, and playing him in fog of war is one of the most terrifying things you can face. He really excels with the extra layer of protection the uncertainty of fog of war provides.

As regards COs good with lots of comm towers, my thought would be Sturm. By negating his weaknesses, he gets even more mileage out of his counterattacks, and in fog of war he'd have an above-average number of scouting units able to survive attacks and retain their unparalleled mobility.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Endorph posted:

protip to the players, there are a few non-javier COs who really benefit from comm towers. see if you can figure out which ones.
Then again, you don't have to choose the extra comm tower: the idea (and it's a neat one) is to force the player to choose which bonus they get: 4000G; 2000G and an airport; 2000G, a port (that isn't shoalled in) and easier access to their opponent's "natural expansion" airport; or 1000G, a comm tower and a missile silo.

Incidentally, I liked how my move that made Gamer resign was putting a battleship in a tiny lake :)

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 2, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Haha, yeah. I blinked, checked its range and nodded.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

I have created this game. The password is letsroll. Given the amount of towers, Javier was banned.

2 months, as if.

This game is now free for anyone to join.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well, game's full up. I'll start it tomorrow (my tomorrow as in when I wake up), so anyone who wants to change display country or CO has about 12 more hours to do that.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
This is what I get for not paying attention!

Ah well, good luck to everyone, sure it'll be a great game to watch.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

chaosrefined posted:

This is what I get for not paying attention!

Ah well, good luck to everyone, sure it'll be a great game to watch.

If you want, I can drop out and let you take my spot.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

Slur posted:

If you want, I can drop out and let you take my spot.

That's very kind of you, but it's my own fault for not watching closely enough!

Besides, has the thread seen you play yet? If not, it's all the more reason to keep you in.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

chaosrefined posted:

Besides, has the thread seen you play yet? If not, it's all the more reason to keep you in.

There was the exhibition match against Paul.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Exactly. I'm not exactly unwilling to switch out if you want me to, chaosrefined.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Ah yes, so there was.

Slur posted:

Exactly. I'm not exactly unwilling to switch out if you want me to, chaosrefined.

Ok then sure, if you're fine with that, then I guess I'll take you up on that! Username is steadystate on AWBW.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

chaosrefined posted:

Ah yes, so there was.

Ok then sure, if you're fine with that, then I guess I'll take you up on that! Username is steadystate on AWBW.

Alright. The slot's reserved for you.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
Much appreciated, thank you very much! I've joined the game now.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Game's started. Three Olafs, three Lashes, a Sami (GUESS WHO :D) and a Hawke.

Oy.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

It's time for the Olaf alliance to rise!
(Hope you guys like snow)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

KennyMan666 posted:

Oy.

:allears:

This is gonna be fuuuuuuuuun.

EDIT: Oh my god, the three Olafs are all at the top of the map.

You know, I'd be down to not touch our respective properties beyond the river if you are.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 3, 2016

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

KennyMan666 posted:

Oy.

Ptarmigans posted:

It's time for the Olaf alliance to rise!
(Hope you guys like snow)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I have created the game. The password is "goons" and the name is Finals!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I have created the game. The password is "goons" and the name is Finals!
Cool, I'm in. May the best player win!

e: Sami mirror match, and snow on day 2. We're going to drive Slur to drink, aren't we? :v:.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 4, 2016

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Whoops. Pay attention to power meters! Ah well. GG.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Finals - Doctor Reynolds vs Paul.Power

Well, here we are.

The pre-deployed anti-air units striked me as odd about this map, as they can't really do much beyond sit around in that huddled corner and just kind of wander back and forth in that area. I assume the reason it's there is to prevent any air strikes from getting in on the infantry pre-deployed on either side of the map, and is some sort of failsafe for playtesting. What's more interesting is what options those infantry in the southwest and northeast corners are given: a port, a comm. tower and missile silo, four cities, or an airport. It's up to the players to choose what they think will be most viable for them, and cannot turn back on their decision. The reason that they cannot turn back on their decision is because the infantry start on top of pipelines, meaning that as soon as they cross over them, they cannot go back over them. Starting units on terrain they cannot be normally deployed on is an AWBW-exclusive feature.

Otherwise, the center of the map is fairly standard, with a few roads, a few more comm. towers, and a few cities surrounding the general area, and a few woods to hide units in for a fog match. As with the rest of the maps in this tournament, the second player gets one extra infantry to begin with. Beyond that, this map is pretty vanilla, and I hope it tests both Paul and Reynolds's skills, strategies, and decision-making in this final game.

As for COs...well, it's a mirror match of Sami versus Sami again. We all know what she does, what she's capable of, and how to play her successfully at this point, due to her popularity among the players in this tournament. I don't think I need to comment on that, so let the games begin.

Purple Lightning - End of Day 1

It begins to snow right at the end of Paul's turn here, but I wish to go over the decision that each player made with their infantry on the pipeline at the beginning of the round: while Paul decided to take the airport which was to the right of the infantry's starting point, Doctor Reynolds decided to go for funding advantage with the four cities which were above her starting point. Beyond that, the standard Advance Wars fare begins, with players building infantry and engaging in the capture phase.

Purple Lightning - End of Day 7

A hell of a lot of infantry later, and both players have covered quite a bit of ground on each end, with Doctor Reynolds coming on strong with a recon lying in wait of Paul's units, with a tank, a recon and an artillery being built on her base in the last turn. We might be seeing some fireworks here soon enough. Paul, on the other hand, has been building more transport units to get his units across the map, with a visible t-copter, black boat, and APC pushing his units up to the front line. Considering Sami's transports do give that extra mobility which other COs don't have, as well as Sami's infantry and mech being the most viable units, this isn't the worst choice (especially with a map this large down the center. Paul has a recon hiding in wait behind his infantry as well, and a tank was just built within the last turn to bolster Paul's offense. Depending on how aggressively Reynolds strikes, Paul can either sink or swim in the upcoming turns.

Amber Blaze - End of Day 9

Though it doesn't seem any units are damaged here, Paul.Power lost two infantry within the last turn from a small skirmish involving Reynolds's recons and infantry assault. Going forward, she protects her tank with an artillery unit as well as a surrounding infantry, giving the strongest and most expensive parts of her assault some much-needed fortification, just in case Paul has a tank lying in wait (which, in this case, he does).

What I always found interesting about Doctor Reynolds's tactics in the LP is that she plays with an extremely aggressive playstyle, not letting her opponent get any chances above her when it comes to any form of advantage. This kind of playstyle is one I've adopted myself due to the practicality behind it: if you don't let your opponent set up, then there's no way that they can possibly come back to harm you with stronger units down the line. However, the tactic is risky, as (in this fog of war match), there are a factor of unknowns which can cause you some bad tradeoffs in the long run, and perhaps a hole ripped within whatever offense that a player may be performing. With Reynolds showing no signs of holding her units back for any period of time, Paul may get pushed back into a corner if he doesn't respond accordingly.

In the last turn, Paul also made a clever move and dropped his infantry off near the port he couldn't access with the infantry otherwise. By choosing the airport, Paul was able to also capture the port and the city around it as well, getting the same advantages as if he were to capture the four cities down below his infantry's starting point. Clever!

Purple Lightning - End of Day 9

Paul.Power counterattacks and severely punishes Doctor Reynolds moving her units to the frontlines: Though Paul didn't destroy any units, he made the best possible moves and crippled a variety of units, including bringing Reynolds's tank down to 4 HP, and crippling a few infantry along the center line. Paul is also building much more offensive units to back him up in the center, with a battle copter on its way to the frontlines, and a tank and an artillery being built to match up to Reynolds's frontline.

That tank of his is going to get punished pretty severely within the next turn though, with Doctor Reynolds's artillery pointed right at that HP tank. We might see Paul suffer a few losses in the next turn.

Amber Blaze - End of Day 10

With that artillery fire, and her own infantry, Doctor Reynolds takes down a total of four units from Paul's side: that aforementioned 8 HP tank, and 3 infantry. Doctor Reynolds wastes no time attempting to capture one of Paul's own cities. Paul's offensive line is hurting quite a bit.

Doctor Reynolds building an anti-air was a smart decision here, as those things are the bane of a Sami player's existence due to them dealing more damage to infantry overall. It was also a lucky move, as Paul has a battle copter coming right in within the upcoming turns.

Purple Lightning - End of Day 12

These skirmishes continue on for a while, with each player going back and forth in losing and gaining units. With both players proving that they are as skilled as they are, there really isn't much to commentate on in the upcoming turns. In this turn, for example, Paul is able to push forward, damage a few tanks, break through a wall and harm an artillery on top of Reynolds's comm. tower, destroy a recon, and a few infantry. Bigger units are seen being built here, with Paul calling forward another b-copter and a few tanks, and Doctor Reynolds bringing out the rocket launchers. However...

Amber Blaze - End of Day 13

The tournament ends here. Doctor Reynolds resigns at this point, knowing that she'd lose within the next turn after moving all of her units and performing all of her possible actions for the turn. From the screenshot that we're seeing, it still seems like anyone's game, doesn't it? However, I think we need to point to two specific things.

One:

Two:

Paul.Power had Victory March charged. If he were to activate it within the next turn, all of his infantry units would gain +2 to their movement, and have their movement cost reduced to 1 on all terrain. As well, they can capture any property in a single turn. Within range of Paul.Power's 5 HP infantry was Doctor Reynolds's HQ.

Victory March isn't often neglected, as it is the most dangerous of Sami's powers, and probably the biggest buff that any CO has received from one game to the next. It's an especially dangerous power as well, as it can give Sami an alarming advantage over her opponent due to the high amount of property advantage that she can claim in a single turn from the super CO power. Despite its large charge time, any infantry within 5 spaces of an HQ becomes extremely dangerous due to that power as well. With Doctor Reynolds making the smallest mistake of leaving that path open to her HQ after combat, Paul could simply declare victory in the next turn with a few simple clicks of his mouse, ending the battle regardless of the combat situation. The most minor mistake turned what was to be a long match into one of the shortest in the tournament.

Thus concludes the Advance Wars tournament. It was a fun time watching the participants climb up the ladder and take on each other in this game of wits. As well, this practically concludes the LP.

I have probably one or two more updates in me, though. Perhaps an epilogue, a retrospective, or a bonus round? We don't know yet. If the thread may have any suggestions or requests, then I'll be glad to hear them! Stay tuned!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I feel it's very fitting to AW for the whole thing to end in a case of Sami.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I play her almost exclusively because of her 1.5x capture rate. Everything else is a nice bonus that I usually forget about. (Case and point)

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I just checked up on the bonus round.

That game isn't getting done in 2 months, is it?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Good game, Doctor Reynolds! Well played, too - that tank push was really melting my central units, your AA was doing a number on my left flank, and I was pretty lucky to still have some infantry hanging around on the right flank. I had a sneaky suspicion that a Victory March HQ capture might be on - I'd probably have sent the full health infantry next to the 5HP one up on the mountain to check that the coast was clear beforehand.

But yeah, really tight finish to the tournament, that game was on a knife edge.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Slur posted:

I have probably one or two more updates in me, though. Perhaps an epilogue, a retrospective, or a bonus round? We don't know yet. If the thread may have any suggestions or requests, then I'll be glad to hear them! Stay tuned!
I had seen an idea about some exhibition matches for the "banned COs" (Grit, Colin, Kanbei, Hachi, Nell, Sensei, Javier with copious COM towers) to show exactly why they're broken. A mini-tournament of "Broken CO vs Broken CO" sounds like a lot of fun.

Also this tournament showed off what I've recently discovered: Kindle is strong as hell. It's crazy just how painful Urban Blight is combined with the increased city attack is. If you leave your units on cites you get blighted over and over again, but if you don't guard your cities then they get stolen, or Kindle parks her units on them and attacks you with 130/130 Tanks/AA/ranged stuff.

At her worst she's a 100/100 CO, and she's super versatile since boats botes are the only thing that can't make huge use of her day-to-day.

AWDS would be scary if the AI was actually competent with Kindle.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Slur posted:

That game isn't getting done in 2 months, is it?
Not in your wildest dreams.

Especially not with how the first round, which for everyone consisted of building two infantries and for some of us also moving a predeployed infantry, took four days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

Not in your wildest dreams.

Especially not with how the first round, which for everyone consisted of building two infantries and for some of us also moving a predeployed infantry, took four days.

If that's the case, then is there anyone who would like to participate in a few exhibition rounds while this game finishes? I can set up a team battle, a broken CO game, and maybe a few gimmick games here and there.

• Locked thread