Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That reminds me, I need to change my PayPal account to a Keepass generated one.

funnily enough the people who compromised his pc didn't realize it was a work pc and they just beelined for his paypal account which he also had saved and they transferred $10k out

which i'm baffled about how someone would keep that much in their paypal account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

FordPRefectLL posted:

funnily enough the people who compromised his pc didn't realize it was a work pc and they just beelined for his paypal account which he also had saved and they transferred $10k out

which i'm baffled about how someone would keep that much in their paypal account

low hanging fruit is the easy stuff.

Gotta buy bike parts and buttcoins somehow

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Arsten posted:

'C Pound'

Please don't be too hard on this kind of mistake, especially if everything else seems good.

It's an indication that a person reads more than they talk, and that might indicate that you've got someone who really wants to move up and out of their current circumstances.

Besides, it's C-Octothorp.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Please don't be too hard on this kind of mistake, especially if everything else seems good.

It's an indication that a person reads more than they talk, and that might indicate that you've got someone who really wants to move up and out of their current circumstances.

I always give them the benefit of the doubt on terminology. A lot of very smart self-taught people get terminology just a little bit wrong. In that anecdote, it was the rest of the situations that made it very wrong when he talked about his programming ability.

Back in the day, I was removed for consideration on a few jobs because, while I could do all the helpdesk twaddle of adding/removing/setting up the system to use add-on cards, I'd never bothered to learn what ISA and PCI meant. But, at the time, I could competently tell you the differences, how they interfaced, and even bandwidth concerns when selecting between ISA and PCI for a couple of cards. But gently caress if I ever learned what the actual initialisms stood for at that point in my career. :v:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Any testers here? How do you like it?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

See Pound (of food), Eat Pound.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

a cop posted:

Can I throw out here that at least from my vantage point, dedicated QA testing seems to be going out of fashion? I haven't filled a QA role since last year and looking at my board I don't have a single role up there. Sometimes I'll get automation but it just seems like everyone is having devs test now. Haven't seen a manual QA role in forever.

Maybe someone closer to the technology can elaborate on or debunk my analysis.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

a cop posted:

Functional > go kill yourself while you're ahead.

Load/stress > better, but wasn't something I looked forward to doing the rest of my life.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Reminds me of when a recruiter had me talk about commonly used skillets, then said I'm unqualified since they're not familiar with SQL.

They need someone comfortable with ess queue el :airquote:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

See Pound Cake, Eat Pound Cake. :colbert:

Edit:

air- posted:

Reminds me of when a recruiter had me talk about commonly used skillets, then said I'm unqualified since they're not familiar with SQL.

They need someone comfortable with ess queue el :airquote:

I pronounce it as an initialism. :saddowns:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Dark Helmut posted:

Can I throw out here that at least from my vantage point, dedicated QA testing seems to be going out of fashion? I haven't filled a QA role since last year and looking at my board I don't have a single role up there. Sometimes I'll get automation but it just seems like everyone is having devs test now. Haven't seen a manual QA role in forever.

Understandable. The position I've been hired for is basically an intermediary between the devs and the end users in addition to testing so it seems as if there's a bit more there, but it's also a large company that could just have more of an old school approach. Luckily, they bounce everyone around over the course of a few years and let you get a feel for developing, testing, BI etc to see where you do best, so I have the opportunity to try to make a lateral move for my future health if need be.

LochNessMonster posted:

Functional > go kill yourself while you're ahead.

Load/stress > better, but wasn't something I looked forward to doing the rest of my life.

whoa..glad I'll be working with some friends!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arsten posted:

See Pound Cake, Eat Pound Cake. :colbert:
Actually, I thought about it more and realized immediately after posting that it was See Pound of Hash.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Actually, I thought about it more and realized immediately after posting that it was See Pound of Hash.

If you eat a pound of hash, you're gonna have a bad time.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Does anyone have a nice up to date blog post or page that talks about performance metrics with java?

We are going to be hacking together some cloudwatch metrics for our apps running in tomcat by attaching to jmx. So much of the stuff you find googling is freaking old. Java 8 changes how memory management works, so I guess I gotta go back and re-read the stuff I read up on that. Thinking I should have some of the catalina metrics that have info about the thread pool activity, then the memory stuff (metaspace, heap usage, garbage collection)

I think a lot of people just use an APM solution but that just doesn't fit and we don't have the budget. NewRelic was cool for a while but now they added a middle tier that has the useful info in it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Arsten posted:

I always give them the benefit of the doubt on terminology. A lot of very smart self-taught people get terminology just a little bit wrong. In that anecdote, it was the rest of the situations that made it very wrong when he talked about his programming ability.

I wasn't even self taught and I still call methods functions constantly. I might have done the same thing with C# if I hadn't talked about it with someone I knew in college. I also didn't know what an IDE was for years, but I would have gotten what they meant on the follow-up.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

a cop posted:

whoa..glad I'll be working with some friends!

That'll make life bearable. I found testing to be utterly boring and would be miserable if I had to do it fulltime.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Did QA for a workforce management application for our client. I was the QA Lead aka The Only Person Doing QA. It was alright, I learned a good bit about methodology and it brought my troubleshooting skills to a new level. After the first month it was grueling (hell during the first month it was), because the test plan essentially didn't change, I just copy and pasted the same test cases over and over and over again and repeated them, oh we are updating to the next version? Time to regression test. At the end, my test plan was roughly 10000 items, probably 2000 of them I performed during regression testing for version upgrades etc. Honestly, I could have doubled both those numbers (the regression testing could have been 3x as much infact) if I had more time to be more thorough. Obviously your experience could be different.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Uhh, new :yotj: does new hire press releases. I can't imagine coming up with a quote that doesn't make me sound like mayor of bonertown.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

gooby pls posted:

Uhh, new :yotj: does new hire press releases. I can't imagine coming up with a quote that doesn't make me sound like mayor of bonertown.

They want a quote from you? Like a "I'm really excited to work here" or something?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

gooby pls posted:

"Cash rules everything around me. Dolla, dolla bill, y'all." -Wu Tang Clan

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

gooby pls posted:

"I can't wait to start exchanging labor for currency"

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky; -Gooby Pls

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm so happy that I'm having "I could do that quicker with powershell than the GUI" moments at this job.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm so happy that I'm having "I could do that quicker with powershell than the GUI" moments at this job.

That's an okay quote for a press release I guess.

Today I got to watch someone configure network adapters manually, one after another using the gui.

I've got to figure out a good way to automate that (The tricky part is that if you screw up while configuring a network adapter, you get stuck!)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gooby pls posted:

"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people, Jeremy." - Super Hans

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

a cop posted:

The position I've been hired for is basically an intermediary between the devs and the end users

Would you say that you're a people person? Do you physically take the specs from the End Users to the Devs or do you have your assistant do that?

I have no real content to add just couldn't pass up the joke/reference.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaepho posted:

Would you say that you're a people person? Do you physically take the specs from the End Users to the Devs or do you have your assistant do that?

I have no real content to add just couldn't pass up the joke/reference.

What would you say you do here?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dark Helmut posted:

QA testers haven't gone away in the least (TDD is still a small number of shops, especially for internal corporate dev), but certainly nobody is hiring onshore for the positions.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
We just moved pretty much all of ours to India within the last couple of weeks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We just moved pretty much all of ours to India within the last couple of weeks.

Nobody listens to QA anyway and you might as well pay them nothing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

gooby pls posted:

“When you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people I deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous and surly. They are like this because they can't tell good from evil." - Marcus Aurelius

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Mostly because the new web GUIs make it impossible to do anything more advanced.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

gooby pls posted:

"Disregard females, acquire currency"

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

gooby pls posted:

"How Can VMs Be Real If Our Hypervisors Aren't Real"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

gooby pls posted:

Just remember, nobody there has met or spoken with you yet. They will base their first impression of you on that quote. If you go corporate cheese, everybody below management will roll their eyes at the new bonertown mayor. If you go with humor, management will roll their eyes at the new bonertown mayor.

The only option is 100% literal fact, such as "I am physically present for my job at this moment", or "I will begin processing my workload as my role of employment requires."

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
"I embrace my new role as Mayor of Bonertown"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
"Hello."

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

"Hello, World!"

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Why not just like "Looking forward to meeting everyone" or some other simple pleasantry like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

a cop posted:

Why not just like "Looking forward to meeting everyone" or some other simple pleasantry like that?

"I challenge everyone to a drinking contest. Beware, my long experience in IT has given me a really high alcohol tolerance."