Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Wait, which leaks?

some fairly bizarre notes slipped out but apparently they're not what's going to be going up on the sandbox server later. they look like half-a-dozen different - contradictory - ideas mashed together into one build.

Prav fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

speaking of new stuff, what do people make of this map?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVbRP3yzKAM

i think it looks pretty drat big but maybe i'm just getting the scale wrong?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Wait, which leaks?

Prav posted:

some fairly bizarre notes slipped out but apparently they're not what's going to be going up on the sandbox server later. they look like half-a-dozen different - contradictory - ideas mashed together into one build.

Found here: https://ritastatusreport.live/2016/06/08/sandbox-stats-sketch/

Doesn't seem worth judging until we get more sandbox info from the devs.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Soulfucker posted:

Found here: https://ritastatusreport.live/2016/06/08/sandbox-stats-sketch/

Doesn't seem worth judging until we get more sandbox info from the devs.

I like the idea that they're trying out wildly different things just to see what works. Glad I signed up for the NA one. Also agreed that it's probably best to wait for real news.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Prav posted:

It's been a console map for a while. It's not large. A lot of the areas are inaccessible and the large middle depression is a kill zone, so it ends up being a two-corridor fight with a small tertiary struggle on the switchback road in front of the mountain.

The areas immediately around the caps are pretty interesting, with a network of tight paths, but they don't come into play much.

You can spawn in a landing craft at the south spawn, though, which is neat.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

it ends up being a two-corridor fight

i'm not surprised but i am disappointed

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Prav posted:

In addition to what Marauder wrote....

It looks...interesting. I don't think it's that big, though; use the cap circles to judge scale and you can see it isn't particularly huge. Frankly I think it might be a little cramped, and suffers from "old-Serene-Coast-" or "Hidden-Village-syndrome" where huge portions of the map are inaccessible; it looks like at least 1/3 of the map is unplayable, and even if it's 1 km x 1 km that means it's not nearly as big as you might think it is on first glance. Also I like how there are some aircraft chilling on the island when there's no airstrip and those don't appear to be seaplanes. :psyduck: (Maybe I'm wrong though. :shrug:)

It's probably better that this map isn't too big, because it has a lot of gradients and swampy terrain, and will probably have a slow game pace. Also there appear to be a lot of obstacles to gently caress up arty (which may actually be their intent, their new strategy to secretly nerf arty.)

Really though, they don't need to add new maps since the solution is to fix the rotation so you don't have to play the same two maps over and over again (from opposite sides) when there are already like 30 maps in the game.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Atomizer posted:

Really though, they don't need to add new maps since the solution is to fix the rotation so you don't have to play the same two maps over and over again (from opposite sides) when there are already like 30 maps in the game.
I played like seven battles last night and got Sacred Valley three times in a row. :negative:

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Okay...so, my time so far on NA has given me the impression that the conduct and rage is relatively tame most of the time. But now that I have witnessed tier 10 matches in a tier 10 tank for the first time in my WoT career, I have come to appreciate that tier10-match-chat on NA is basically "niggerthis", "niggerthat" in perpetuity. And the rest is "rerollrigger", except I can't really tell anymore between the opening consonant of that word.

O it's friend of the family this, an' friend of the family that, an' "rerollrigger" too;
But it's "Thank you, Goodly Goonsire", when I'm carrying them through,
They might even call me pubbie, they don't know what they mean
In chats they leave me to decode by Kolobanov's gleam

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.
https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/06/08/sandbox-leak/

Next round of Sandbox leaks, with more big changes:
  • Heat does ~25% damage and has pretty bad pen. APCR seems way way superior
  • T-54 HEAT is 240 dmg and 240 pen.
  • BatChat get 85 km/t speed, buffs to track/turret traverse, decimated gun performance - Seems like a tier X light?

Much more crazy poo poo in there. I think the takeaway is that there are no more sacred cows. I wonder what prompted these massive changes, numbers down in RU/EU?

Maimgara fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 9, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

they're calling it the sandbox for a reason - the point of the server is to try crazy poo poo and see what happens

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

... which is a good thing.

85 km/h is surprising considering that the MT-25 is apparently limited to 72 km/h because "It’s the current game engine’s limit."

Edit: Goddamn the BatChat lost about 1000 DPM. :stare:

McGavin fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 9, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

was, they increased it with one of the physics patches and just never uncapped the MT-25 to match

the Ru 251 has a 80 km/h limit for instance

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I guess Yuri Pasholok wasn't informed then, because that's the reason he gave yesterday when someone asked why it wasn't the historical 100 km/h.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

well it was true at the time when they made it

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Is there any compelling reason to start playing WoT again other than my increase in self loathing and free time?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Is there any compelling reason to start playing WoT again other than my increase in self loathing and free time?

Nope

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Maimgara posted:

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/06/08/sandbox-leak/

Next round of Sandbox leaks, with more big changes:
  • Heat does ~25% damage and has pretty bad pen. APCR seems way way superior
  • T-54 HEAT is 240 dmg and 240 pen.
  • BatChat get 85 km/t speed, buffs to track/turret traverse, decimated gun performance - Seems like a tier X light?

Much more crazy poo poo in there. I think the takeaway is that there are no more sacred cows. I wonder what prompted these massive changes, numbers down in RU/EU?

They are nerfing the gently caress out of autoloaders, it looks like. Figures I am on the verge of unlocking the 13 90.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Blindeye posted:

They are nerfing the gently caress out of autoloaders, it looks like. Figures I am on the verge of unlocking the 13 90.

I'll be interested in how they handle the 155 58. The 155 55 is already a better arty because of the long clip reload with the 155 58. So making GBS threads on the 155 58's reload will just make it more obvious.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Shorter time between shots. The 55 delivers a constant, slower stream of fire, the 58 unloads a burst of 4 shells in under 10 seconds, then has to reload. Adjust the aim time to compensate. Would that make it *better* than the 55? I dunno, but it would at emphasize the inherently gimmicky nature of an autoloading artillery.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 9, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Steelion posted:

Shorter time between shots. The 55 delivers a constant, slower stream of fire, the 58 unloads a burst of 4 shells in under 10 seconds, then has to reload. Adjust the aim time to compensate. Would that make it *better* than the 55? I dunno, but it would at emphasize the inherently gimmicky nature of an autoloading artillery.

But I'm talking in reference to what they did to the regular batchat. Nerfing the interdrum on the 155 58 would just make it worse. As for the difference, you must also remember that you have to wait for the bloom to come back between each firing which nullifies the advantage of the interdrum reload. Likewise, if you fire one shot then have to wait for an opportunity for another shot, you have again been nullified and the 155 55 would have been better. Because your reload action is similar to it, but with the penalty of the drum reload as well.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If they shorten the 58's reload between shells and reduce the aim time accordingly it will utterly gently caress anything that it tracks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Reward for scoring 150 goals in the upcoming football mode (not the brain damage football):

quote:

Mission: Legendary Forward

Goal Complete “Attacker” 150 times
Reward 15x Credit bonuses, +50%, 1 hour
Conditions •Only available in Football Mode
•Only available with the T-62A
•Once per account

That's for EU and that seems great. The mode should be back tomorrow if anyone wants to have fun and then set themselves up for a shitload of credits.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Hellsau posted:

Reward for scoring 150 goals in the upcoming football mode (not the brain damage football):

That's for EU and that seems great. The mode should be back tomorrow if anyone wants to have fun and then set themselves up for a shitload of credits.

Is that the same mode from the world cup in '14? That was actually relatively fun. Not quite Bulldog racing fun, but fun.

Edit: vvvvv If it's the same mode from '14 the only tank available was the T-62A "sport" which had minor tweaks to the passive road stats and track repair

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 9, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So you can only do that if you have the T-62A? That blows.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They give you a special T-62A to play with.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Is that the same mode from the world cup in '14? That was actually relatively fun. Not quite Bulldog racing fun, but fun.

There'll be three arenas (with only visual differences as far as I know) and presumably physics nowadays are differe----

Holy poo poo what if you can work to flip the other players please wargaming let it happen.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Sigh I'm going to regret this reinstall :(

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Prav posted:

As they've said, it's not really bigger. If you hit youtube and search for Skorpion Pass however, you'll get multiple videos for a PS4 exclusive map, that is actually 1500x1500, over doubling the effective area.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Nordick posted:

I played like seven battles last night and got Sacred Valley three times in a row. :negative:

Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking maps in this motherfucking map rotation!

Let's see exactly which maps are still in the game:
Westfield
Karelia
Live Oaks
Siegfried Line
Lakeville
Malinovka
Abbey
Murovanka
Prokhorovka/Fiery Salient
Mountain Pass
Redshire
Mines
Ruinberg/Winterburg
Fisherman's Bay
Steppes
Serene Coast
Swamp
Tundra
Cliff
Fjords
Highway
Himmelsdorf
Ensk
Overlord
Stalingrad
Windstorm
Arctic Region
Kharkov
Erlenberg
Airfield
Sand River
El Halluf
Pilsen

So, according to the list of maps on the official wiki, and ignoring tier-restricted maps (i.e. Mittengard and Widepark), there are THIRTY-loving-THREE maps at this moment. Technically, if you weren't boosting the frequency of newly-added maps for the reasonable goal of allowing players to try out the new content, each map should have about a 3% chance of occurrence. There is no loving excuse for having to log in and play the same three goddamn maps for four hours, giving them an actual frequency of 33% and the other 30 maps 0%. How lovely does Wargaming have to be to gently caress up a random map selection process? :psyboom:

stephenfry posted:

O it's friend of the family this, an' friend of the family that, an' "rerollrigger" too;
But it's "Thank you, Goodly Goonsire", when I'm carrying them through,
They might even call me pubbie, they don't know what they mean
In chats they leave me to decode by Kolobanov's gleam

:magical:

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I'm sure I read long ago that there's like 6 (?) maps in rotation at any given time and the 6 or so maps are changed every 2 hours, and that's the way the game seems to me at least, get map X 3 times in 6 battles and later in the day you never see it. And I remember there was some site or the other that wanted people to work with them thru XVM or whatever so you could report what maps you played, which would help somewhat choosing which tanks to play or to play at all. Wish there was a way to tell which maps were in play.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Is the VK 45 03 bad or just overpriced? Or both?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

TANK SOCCER IS LIVE ON NA THIS IS NOT A DRILL ALL GOON HANDS ON DICK FOR TANK SOCCER

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:eleventyone1111!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I'm five for five in random soccer matches. Copy and paste this in allchat if you're going to play Soccer mode:

quote:

Please don't try to play "goalie", it never works and just makes you lose because your team is stuck in a 3v2.
because having a goalie WILL cause your team to lose. It is such a brutally easy win playing 3v2 that it becomes a total slaughter. If some idiot is parking their tiny tank in front of the gigantic goal, there is a good chance that if someone is pushing the ball forward, the ball can just be pushed around the goalie, and most goalie shots will just pop the ball backwards, and it'll immediately get pushed forward again. If you want to get the ball away from someone, you need to shoot the top/bottom and pop it over the tank --- but if its near your goal and you just fired, you can't stop an enemy from just shooting the thing into your goal. Hell, even if everything goes well and you block someone trying to push the ball in, it's not uncommon for the ball to just roll straight over you and into your goal --- and that counts as an assist against your own team! Goalie was absurdly bad before, and is just as bad now.

Other things you shouldn't do:

1) Shoot tracks when you could shoot ball. You want to use your shots to control the ball, either disrupting the enemy's control of the ball, pushing it further into the enemy side of the map, or shooting it when it's already heading for the enemy goal so you steal the score. Shooting tracks of an enemy that isn't even close to the ball is stupid - now you have no way to interact with the game, and the tracked enemy gets to place a shot to either spin the ball up over the scrum, or if the ball gets bounced up, they are in prime position to blast it right into your goal.

2) If your teammate is about to score, don't just try to tag along behind them. If they need help, try to block the enemy shots onto them/the ball. If it's over, get into the center just a bit toward your own goal (maybe 2-3 tank lengths) and once that ball spawns, let it bounce one time and shoot it. It'll go flying - it will need a little more help, but one more shot and it'll be in the enemy goal.

3) Don't ignore the consumables. That Turboboost consumable is just like the Removed Speed Governor, in that it's a one time purchase that you can reuse. Also RSG is available so you can get to the ball at the start just a little faster, but I'm not sure whether that's useful or not. Definitely have a Large Repair Kit on your tank that you'll never use - you get 10% faster track repairs just

4) Don't forget to mercilessly mock the stupid pubbies who lose games for their team. If there's some dumbshit trying to play goalie, let them know that they're the reason their teams are losing - 3v2s are really tough to win. I had one dumbass who just spent the whole match bitching about it being a "3v1" and that they had an "idiot team" - this doofus shot tracks 29 times! We scored a goal, and just kept the ball in their corner the whole rest of the match because they didn't actually have this guy available to get into the scrum or shoot the ball when it pops up, he was uselessly shooting tracks and letting us have total map control. Let them know how bad they are and why they're bad so at least the other 4 people may learn from other players' mistakes.

5) Don't try to flip enemies, and don't try to help unflip teammates. If you flip over, you just magically flip back over Mario Kart style after like 3 seconds. Had an insane middle scrum at the start of one game where one dude totally flipped and two more were on one side for a little bit, it was awesome. Sadly, we don't get to play Twisted Metal and try to kill the enemy team, no matter how much I wish that were an option.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Atomizer posted:

How lovely does Wargaming have to be to gently caress up a random map selection process? :psyboom:

Fat Jesus posted:

I'm sure I read long ago that there's like 6 (?) maps in rotation at any given time and the 6 or so maps are changed every 2 hours, and that's the way the game seems to me at least, get map X 3 times in 6 battles and later in the day you never see it. And I remember there was some site or the other that wanted people to work with them thru XVM or whatever so you could report what maps you played, which would help somewhat choosing which tanks to play or to play at all. Wish there was a way to tell which maps were in play.

yeah, they only load a few maps at a time to save on server memory

on the one hand, that's loving stupid just buy more ram. on the other hand, the servers were absolutely pushed to the breaking point with users in the first year or two of the game's life so every little bit of resources was critical.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Finally faced my first loss in my tenth football game, by having two completely useless snipers/goalies that I couldn't shame into action. Enemy scores a goal because they actually move toward the ball and shoot the ball. I get into position behind the ball using the turbocharge, shoot the ball towards the enemy base, ram the ball into the enemy and then when it pops up, I shoot the ball into the goal. Bam, got a score by myself against 3 enemies. BOTH my idiots teammates are on our side of the field. Neither one shoots the ball - the two enemies close to me at their base shoot the ball, shoot it again, and then shoot it one more time for a score.

we need to get some platoons going

e: btw just because the turbocharger recharges during the game doesn't mean you don't have to resupply it afterwards, if you use it once that'll be another 15k credits.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Hellsau posted:

I'm five for five in random soccer matches. Copy and paste this in allchat if you're going to play Soccer mode:

because having a goalie WILL cause your team to lose. It is such a brutally easy win playing 3v2 that it becomes a total slaughter. If some idiot is parking their tiny tank in front of the gigantic goal, there is a good chance that if someone is pushing the ball forward, the ball can just be pushed around the goalie, and most goalie shots will just pop the ball backwards, and it'll immediately get pushed forward again. If you want to get the ball away from someone, you need to shoot the top/bottom and pop it over the tank --- but if its near your goal and you just fired, you can't stop an enemy from just shooting the thing into your goal. Hell, even if everything goes well and you block someone trying to push the ball in, it's not uncommon for the ball to just roll straight over you and into your goal --- and that counts as an assist against your own team! Goalie was absurdly bad before, and is just as bad now.

Other things you shouldn't do:

1) Shoot tracks when you could shoot ball. You want to use your shots to control the ball, either disrupting the enemy's control of the ball, pushing it further into the enemy side of the map, or shooting it when it's already heading for the enemy goal so you steal the score. Shooting tracks of an enemy that isn't even close to the ball is stupid - now you have no way to interact with the game, and the tracked enemy gets to place a shot to either spin the ball up over the scrum, or if the ball gets bounced up, they are in prime position to blast it right into your goal.

2) If your teammate is about to score, don't just try to tag along behind them. If they need help, try to block the enemy shots onto them/the ball. If it's over, get into the center just a bit toward your own goal (maybe 2-3 tank lengths) and once that ball spawns, let it bounce one time and shoot it. It'll go flying - it will need a little more help, but one more shot and it'll be in the enemy goal.

3) Don't ignore the consumables. That Turboboost consumable is just like the Removed Speed Governor, in that it's a one time purchase that you can reuse. Also RSG is available so you can get to the ball at the start just a little faster, but I'm not sure whether that's useful or not. Definitely have a Large Repair Kit on your tank that you'll never use - you get 10% faster track repairs just

4) Don't forget to mercilessly mock the stupid pubbies who lose games for their team. If there's some dumbshit trying to play goalie, let them know that they're the reason their teams are losing - 3v2s are really tough to win. I had one dumbass who just spent the whole match bitching about it being a "3v1" and that they had an "idiot team" - this doofus shot tracks 29 times! We scored a goal, and just kept the ball in their corner the whole rest of the match because they didn't actually have this guy available to get into the scrum or shoot the ball when it pops up, he was uselessly shooting tracks and letting us have total map control. Let them know how bad they are and why they're bad so at least the other 4 people may learn from other players' mistakes.

5) Don't try to flip enemies, and don't try to help unflip teammates. If you flip over, you just magically flip back over Mario Kart style after like 3 seconds. Had an insane middle scrum at the start of one game where one dude totally flipped and two more were on one side for a little bit, it was awesome. Sadly, we don't get to play Twisted Metal and try to kill the enemy team, no matter how much I wish that were an option.

While playing 'goalie' is detrimental to your team it is a good idea to keep one player behind the half line to shut down breakaways and also to be in a position to control the ball drop after a goal is scored. It also makes it easy to pick up goals if you can coordinate with your pubbie teammate to pass the ball across the face of the goal.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Arishtat posted:

While playing 'goalie' is detrimental to your team it is a good idea to keep one player behind the half line to shut down breakaways and also to be in a position to control the ball drop after a goal is scored. It also makes it easy to pick up goals if you can coordinate with your pubbie teammate to pass the ball across the face of the goal.

Holy poo poo dude you've been gone a long loving time.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I don't have any filters for the tanks in my carousel. Is this because I have a two-row carousel enabled via OM modpack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Is there still some sponsoring mission thingy available for people who haven't played in a good long while? I seem to recall something like this existing but I can't find any info. Thought I might come back for the tank soccer, and it'd be a shame to waste any potential rewards.