Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

genericnick posted:

Does anyone know if Vassals lose the base funding? Because I'm finishing up a Dwarve (hard) campaign and I've been having significantly less fun than in my empire one. I don't think I want to build such a sprawling empire again if I can help it. I'll never understand people using the conquer anywhere mod.

Base funding from being AI? I don't think so. I agree with you, though, I really don't want to have more than five or six provinces if I can help it, but it's impossible in the base-game to vassalize anyone via diplomacy as far as I can tell.

I made a little mod for myself that makes the AI more willing to become a vassal if it's threatened (in the same sense that the AI becomes more willing to confederate if threatened) but only if you're friendly with them. I can post it up if anyone wants it, though I wont promise that the values are perfect. It seems to work so far in the Empire campaign I've been playing—factions that I'm on good terms who are about to get annihilated will request vassalization to keep themselves alive, which makes sense really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZIAQ818Lvc

Joey vs James. Having not watched it yet, the victor is clear short of James straight throwing the match.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wallet posted:

Base funding from being AI? I don't think so. I agree with you, though, I really don't want to have more than five or six provinces if I can help it, but it's impossible in the base-game to vassalize anyone via diplomacy as far as I can tell.

No I meant the same you also get. I think its 2500 on hard.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The slayer king definitely has to be the best start for a dwarven campaign, doesn't take long at all before he can take on armies by himself.

I'd send him out alone ahead of the army and when the enemy completely surrounds him I'd order the catapults to fire at his position :black101:

He got 650 kills taking on the garrison of drakenhof and poofing the ghosts with his magic axe, finishing the battle with 10% HP with a potion of healing, 20% ward save and a helm of discord.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
I just demolished the Greenskins on my hard dorf campaign .. which is great because I got severely tired of their agents loving with my land and armies. So what do I do now? Confederate the northern dorfs and hold out for the Chaos shitstorm approaching?

NT Plus fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 10, 2016

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Well, I think I got the perfect dwarf army for campaign. 1 runesmith, 1 cannon, 2 thunderers, 4 quarrelers, 4 gyrocopters with brimstone guns and 7 iron breakers. And now I'm bored of it because every fight ends with like 20 casualties or less.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Nasgate posted:

Also just sad about Slayers being so weak.

Slayers own if used properly. They aren't a line unit and aren't meant to be a large portion of your army. They are best used behind your line as a hard counter to cavalry or as a flanking unit, but they are especially good at killing monsters. They're worth their slot in your army when they dominate some poor VC monster who thought he was going to be able to rampage behind your line and kill your artillery or ranged units.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Well, I think I got the perfect dwarf army for campaign. 1 runesmith, 1 cannon, 2 thunderers, 4 quarrelers, 4 gyrocopters with brimstone guns and 7 iron breakers. And now I'm bored of it because every fight ends with like 20 casualties or less.

I think Ironbreakers are too good. Until I get them things are a little rough, but then it's just game over. Especially once I turn my forces towards the VC. The AI just seems to have no answer to them.

Also, any tips for dealing with the huge Scabby Eye stacks running around before turn 10 in the Dwarf campaign? Playing on Very Hard starting with Ungrim. I hate his starting units, but it's so much easier to get both LLs this way and I feel like if I can overcome his starting units it'll be better in the long run. Thinking I might spend a slot in Silver Road on the grudge thrower recruitment building early with Ungrim. Having issues with armoured Greenskins early on with miners as my only AP.

Also, I've almost exclusively used Quarrelers and am trying to learn Thunderers. Since their best targets will be engaged in melee, what's the best way to position ranged units shooting in to melee. Should I just run up the side and get behind them and start shooting them in the back? I usually keep my Quarrelers safely behind my Dwarven meat mountain.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Reik posted:

Also, I've almost exclusively used Quarrelers and am trying to learn Thunderers. Since their best targets will be engaged in melee, what's the best way to position ranged units shooting in to melee. Should I just run up the side and get behind them and start shooting them in the back? I usually keep my Quarrelers safely behind my Dwarven meat mountain.

That's an option, assuming that you've already dealt with any cavalry or whatever that might annihilate them. Most of the maps dwarfs fight on have hills or mountains you can set up on so that they can shoot over your line much better, though. Mind that Thunderers only do better damage than Quarrelers against armored units. I prefer Irondrakes over Thunderers for the most part, since the range difference isn't all that relevant when you can't shoot over your lines.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 10, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wallet posted:

That's an option, assuming that you've already dealt with any cavalry or whatever that might annihilate them. Most of the maps dwarfs fight on have hills or mountains you can set up on so that they can shoot over your line much better, though.

Even then, shooting into the front of units isn't often the best idea. Flanking almost always gets better results.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

sassassin posted:

Even then, shooting into the front of units isn't often the best idea. Flanking almost always gets better results.

Depends. Dwarfs have awful mobility, so if you're in a safe enough position to try and flank with your ranged units you've almost certainly won the battle anyway.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Wallet posted:

Depends. Dwarfs have awful mobility, so if you're in a safe enough position to try and flank with your ranged units you've almost certainly won the battle anyway.

This reminded me of how much the AI will kite for days with gobbo spider archers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

NT Plus posted:

This reminded me of how much the AI will kite for days with gobbo spider archers.

Running a stack of gobbo spider archers against savage orks has been some of the best fun I've had in the game. Just need to be weak enough that they come out of their walls and eat arrows, and you can go careening through settlements.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
If you have the standard gaps between your infantry squares the enemy will surround it, which gives a clear shot into their flank for your missiles without ever moving.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Sometimes you need a stack of entirely organ guns

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

You wanna spam boyz well gently caress you and gently caress everyone around you

Ever since I used the checkboard playing dwarves is markedly easier late game

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wallet posted:

The AI tends to attack both flanks evenly, so I focus on breaking one and then enveloping the front lines from that side.

I wouldn't say the battle is won by that point, especially if the orcs still have boar chariots moving about.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Wallet posted:

That's an option, assuming that you've already dealt with any cavalry or whatever that might annihilate them. Most of the maps dwarfs fight on have hills or mountains you can set up on so that they can shoot over your line much better, though. Mind that Thunderers only do better damage than Quarrelers against armored units. I prefer Irondrakes over Thunderers for the most part, since the range difference isn't all that relevant when you can't shoot over your lines.

I did some testing switching out irondrakes and thunderers. Thunderers always performed better. Probably because 80 men with a higher refire rate doing like 25 damage each adds up to be more damage than 24 guys with a slow refire rate doing 110 damage each. You don't need to shoot over your lines. If you checkerboard a bit the AI will almost always attack the infantry. If they don't you can just pull them back and aim them to the side to shoot up anything coming around your flanks.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Back To 99 posted:

If you have the standard gaps between your infantry squares the enemy will surround it, which gives a clear shot into their flank for your missiles without ever moving.

What setting do I need to put on my infantry squares so they don't de-square? Guard formation?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Reik posted:

What setting do I need to put on my infantry squares so they don't de-square? Guard formation?

Guard just stops them from chasing the enemy. He means just putting spaces between the units. Like say a line of infantry is two inches wide on your screen you put a gap of about 1 inch between each one. Enemy units will get caught on the edges if they try to go through so your back lines are safeish.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I tried radious and why the gently caress do I have 4k gold right at the start in income

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Oh yeah, one thing I noticed

Sometimes the unit panel bugs out and just stays open in combat and I can't seem to get the drat thing closed

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

ZenVulgarity posted:

I tried radious and why the gently caress do I have 4k gold right at the start in income

Because it is and always has been the No Morale, Infinite Gold and Stack Spam mod.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I did some testing switching out irondrakes and thunderers. Thunderers always performed better. Probably because 80 men with a higher refire rate doing like 25 damage each adds up to be more damage than 24 guys with a slow refire rate doing 110 damage each. You don't need to shoot over your lines. If you checkerboard a bit the AI will almost always attack the infantry. If they don't you can just pull them back and aim them to the side to shoot up anything coming around your flanks.

Based on their stats, Irondrakes (the Trollhammer variety) do ~40% more damage (and AP damage) per second compared to Thunderers, despite their smaller unit size, even before you factor in their explosive damage. Regular Irondrakes don't do very much AP damage, obviously, but they do a shitload of explosive damage—like, more than twice as much explosive damage as Quarrelers do regular damage.

I've found checkerboarding to be fairly ineffective against enemies with significant numbers of monstrous units, though it does work fine against Orcs.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

Slayers own if used properly. They aren't a line unit and aren't meant to be a large portion of your army. They are best used behind your line as a hard counter to cavalry or as a flanking unit, but they are especially good at killing monsters. They're worth their slot in your army when they dominate some poor VC monster who thought he was going to be able to rampage behind your line and kill your artillery or ranged units.

God help you if you want to ever auto resolve, or fight other dwarves, or humans, or if there's more than two arrer boys in a stack.

There's so many Dwarven units that do well against monstrous units with the bonus of being good against more than two factions and being buildable from buildings you will build anyway. That's what I meant by weak.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
In my recent chaos game I've just finished torching most of the empire, after which I'll head west and destroy...estalia :psyduck:? Apparently Estalia has taken over almost all of brettonia. What the gently caress AI?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

unwantedplatypus posted:

In my recent chaos game I've just finished torching most of the empire, after which I'll head west and destroy...estalia :psyduck:? Apparently Estalia has taken over almost all of brettonia. What the gently caress AI?

I guess fantasy Rocroi went well :spain:

God I want working tercios.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Estalia and Tilea are actually pretty big NPC nations without an major oppressive force keeping them down like Kislev or the Border Princes. I have to wonder what they even get up to in all the games where they don't streamroll the Bretts.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

madmac posted:

Estalia and Tilea are actually pretty big NPC nations without an major oppressive force keeping them down like Kislev or the Border Princes. I have to wonder what they even get up to in all the games where they don't streamroll the Bretts.

Endless slapfight over where the goddess Myrmidia was born.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Nasgate posted:

God help you if you want to ever auto resolve, or fight other dwarves, or humans, or if there's more than two arrer boys in a stack.

There's so many Dwarven units that do well against monstrous units with the bonus of being good against more than two factions and being buildable from buildings you will build anyway. That's what I meant by weak.

There's a balance mod for auto resolve that helps again giant arrer boyz spam

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

madmac posted:

If my Empire games are in any way representative Tilea occasionally gets burned down a bit by Orcs or rear end in a top hat Dwarfs from the mountains or colonises its way east into the Border Princes and then gets into a war with Orcs or rear end in a top hat Dwarfs.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

madmac posted:

In my orc campaign they settled the border Prince lands I razed and then started settling empire lands, but because it wasn't my objective to kill them I just let them get on with it

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Geez, Legendary is a rather cruel difficulty level. Being unable to play at half-speed or even being able to move the camera while paused is rough, especially when you have no mini-map. Battles with multiple stacks are going to be absurdly chaotic.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Playing a VC hard campaign right now and the loving dwarves decided that mid chaos invasion was the best possible time to declare war on me. They haven't actually done anything because they are busy trying to wipe the greenskins out.

So I've now wiped chaos out and I've decided to make it my mission to nurture the orcs and gently caress the dwarves. The main greenskin faction is slowly getting wiped out but I'm injecting money into their economy to help stave it off, while slowly raizing my way down to them from the north all the way south. Each province I enter is getting deployed banshees to quickly drive corruption up so reconquering is a pain in the dick. These loving dwarves didn't even send agents up to gently caress with chaos. They are clearly chaos dwarves. They are going to burn.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

KnoxZone posted:

Geez, Legendary is a rather cruel difficulty level. Being unable to play at half-speed or even being able to move the camera while paused is rough, especially when you have no mini-map. Battles with multiple stacks are going to be absurdly chaotic.

Yeah, Legendary sounds like tedious difficulty more than anything else.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

unwantedplatypus posted:

Yeah, Legendary sounds like tedious difficulty more than anything else.

Is there a mod that creates pseudo-Legendary with the better AI and other quantitative penalties but you can save the same and have a minimap and stuff.

Also, I feel like Very Hard just means "Now you have to build a Refectory in every province sucker!"

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

my dad posted:

Why, a gift from Slaanesh. :v:

Sounds like something Slaanesh would be into. MEN ERECT YOUR TOWERS ALL AT ONCE!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I hate public order penalties

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

KnoxZone posted:

I genuinely can't say I ever play with it slowed down and barely use the minimap.

Is there a summary of the difference anywhere? I expect AI cheating on the strategic layer is what's going to gently caress me up most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So had a Goon game last night, 3 of us vs Pubbies and we had an Orc (Me!), Empire and Dwarf team up versus 3 Vampire Counts.

The vampires had brought masses of Grave Guard, Cavalry and Flying Units with a squish zombie core. Supported by three mighty wizards.

While our army was a rag tag bunch covering each others weaknesses!

The Dwarves had brought Dwarf Warriors, a lot of Thunderers, some Cannons a Gyro Bomber and the Slayer King and a few units of Slayers.

The Empire was led by Karl Franz on Razorbeak, with a few Hellstorm Rocket Batteries, a light smattering of Spears, Greatswords

And of course since it's Empire, these guys.

Meanwhile I'd decided that Artillery is for gitz, and went with a massive WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH led by the only Orc 'ard enough that even the Humans and Dwarfs want him on their side.

GRIMGOR IS THE GREATEST! And he brought all his Boys.

LOADS OF WEAK STUNTY GOBBOS AS SNACKS FOR THE TROLLS

ORCS WHO SHOOT POINTY STICKS AND ARE JUST 'APPY TO BE 'ERE

SOME BOYS SO DED 'ARD THE SLAYERS HUNG OUT WITH 'EM

AND YOU GOTTA HAVE PIGS

I brought some Goblin Wolfriders and Archers too, but it was a terrible choice as they all died pretty much immediately as they Vanguard Deployed next to these guys.

While my other Goblin Riders were found immediately and I tried to run them back home. It failed miserably.

This also means our side brought NO PONCY MAGIC AT ALL. gently caress THE FINGERWIGGLERS!

They start by surrounding our hilltop and trying to move in around our main line with a ton of Varghiests, dropping them on the Dwarf Gunline. This goes really badly for the Varghiests as we'd been expecting it and hidden some units nearby.

As the Dwaves leg it in the background there, the Varghiests are flanked by Black Orcs and are being charged by Demigryph knights and Boar Boy Big Un's with no escape. This does not go well for them.

In another bad move, they send a Varghulf way ahead of their main force to attack a single unit of Big Un's, who get supported by all the Orc Arrow Boys nearby and pretty much mince the thing.

It's the last small engagement before the battle begins in earnest, the waves of undead rolling uphill towards the Orc Screen force, who were being supported mightly by the Dwarf Cannons and Hellstorm Rockets.

And a ton of Dwarf Thunderers ain't going to let the Orcs have all the killing either.

Rather than let them hit us, I send the Goblins out to counter charge the Zombies. The battle of the completely useless units begins.

While having learned nothing, the enemy charges in their Black Knights much like the Varghiests did to get at our gun lines and the exact same trap of Black Orcs is sprung.

Those Black Knights are hosed.

Meanwhile up on the Artillery Battery hill, I'm not the only player using my heavy hitters to good use.

However a problem is becoming apparent, the Undead have way more melee infantry than us left

While we've all done a good job of smashing some of their big stuff, Orc Leadership is not good and poo poo like this is not something Goblins will hold back not even with a few Dwarf Miners for company.

Even Grimgor is looking a bit outnumbered as he does what he does best.

We got some reinforcements held back, sending in waves of Dwarf Warriors, Orcs and Trolls but the Undead don't want them to help out the front line just yet.

However not all is going badly, the Empire forces have been mainly left alone and with the Undead all committed they begin a large attack on the Flank of the main battle line.

As a quick overview of the main lines, we've mainly held off from them breaking through. We're on the left, with an intact Dwarven Gunline doing work, the Grave Guard have pushed in to replace the mostly now crumbled zombies and while the Orcs are being to get surrounded in the south stout Dwarf Warriors are coming to help. The North meanwhile is the site of an Empire beat down on a rather weak Undead line pinned by a few goblin spears who've refused to break yet.

However the Empire have a problem that we hadn't noticed.

Four full strenght units of Crypt Horrors they'd been keeping in reserve were now being thrown in

Worse yet, Grimgor has finally got targeted by Spirit Leech and he can't keep up with the mass pile on of Undead Lords who really want his rear end dead.

Even with the Slayer King watching disapprovingly, this proves too much for the Trolls who just bottle it and run from the battle.

However all is not lost, the Dwarf Warriors have held long enough for the Black Orcs to finally finish off the Black knights and rejoin the main battle.

And Ungrim fancies a lord for himself.

Sadly he flew away.

BUT THE DWARVES WOULD NOT BE DENIED.

Also much needed relief on the front lines as the Hellstorm batteries finally get back into the action.

But those Crypt Horrors I'd mentioned earlier finally hit the Empire lines too and it quickly gets bad.

With no Spears of Halberd to support they tear through the Empire troops practically unopposed because Karl Franz is busy boys.

Busy being a DUNK MACHINE

The Orcs and Dwarves won't be help to the Empire yet because they've banded together to try stop the infantry line breaking and having all the Arrow Boys and Thunderers in peril.

It's looking grim though, the Empire are getting pounded by Crypt Horrors.

Maybe they can only sense motion, keep still Witch Hunter :ohdear:

But to make up for it they help the Dwarfs and Orcs win with an absolute pounding of artillery.

And while the casualties for that particular fight were incredible, the Undead crumble first and the Orcs and Dwarfs swarm to take out the last of the Undead, that drat blob of Crypt Horrors.

However we never reach them as the Undead morale is so low that the final nail in the coffin is this guy.

Blown away by every ranged unit we had left in a hail of bullets, arrows and cannon shells.

Was a great game! Thanks to Ganjdalf the Purple and Dickheadhipster for letting me come along.

Fans fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 10, 2016

• Locked thread