Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They're not comparable in that way because the source materials aren't similar length. They have more to do in less time and Stardust Crusaders wasn't "9 episodes longer than it needed to be" stretched. The link doesn't really shed any light on situation anyway. Egypt arc was Stardust Crusaders - Battle in Egypt. A theoretical final cour for the end would have a similar subtitle, meaning it's not technically Diamond is Unbreakable from that point on.

As before, it's a wait and see thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The end part where Okuyasu is sucked into the cable at the end of this episode was super weirdly rushed and weird to me for some reason.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Having watched it again with subs now, I'm pretty comfortable in saying that the episode as a whole is just pretty bad. It's not close to the usual JoJo + david standard.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They have more to do in less time and Stardust Crusaders wasn't "9 episodes longer than it needed to be"

SDC could have absolutely been done just as well with 9 fewer episodes and probably not cutting a single thing.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

as was said before, SDC was kind of artificially extended due to there not being great places to cut off and it being a Big Deal, so more judicious editing in terms of pacing is more than welcome. they've already shown that they can easily get everything in there while keeping from stretching things out too long, so i'm not worried a bit.

I was worried they were going to cut out tonio, and they didn't cut out tonio, so I'm happy

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Having watched it again with subs now, I'm pretty comfortable in saying that the episode as a whole is just pretty bad. It's not close to the usual JoJo + david standard.

All the best parts of the red hot chili pepper fight come after akira reveals himself on the docks anyway. I was kind of hoping they'd end this episode with his reveal

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i suppose there's inevitably going to be a lackluster episode here or there

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Sticking with the source material at least, I always thought Chilly Peeps was a pretty bland fight and the better half of it is in the next episode.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Rohan Kishibe posted:

The end part where Okuyasu is sucked into the cable at the end of this episode was super weirdly rushed and weird to me for some reason.

I'm only halfway through now and the pacing feels strange so I'd wondered if this was Honda be jammed at the end. But again, it's kind of weird in the manga- a lot feels blink-and-you'll-miss-it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So far we've gone
1. Josuke meets Jotaro
2. Angelo
3. Niji
4. Niji 2
5. Niji 3.
6. Echoes
7. Surface
8. Yukako
9. Yukako 2
10. Italian
11. RHCP 1
12. RHCP 2

---------------speculation with the intent to get it as close to 39 as possible-------
13. Shizuka
14. Rohan 1
15. Rohan 2
16. Hunting
17. Rohan's Adventure
18. Shigechi 1
19. Shigechi 2
20. Yoshikage Kira wants a Quiet Life + People of Morioh (this will be a squished episode with this much)
21. Cinderella
22. Sheer Heart Attack 1
23. Sheer Heart Attack 2
24. Sheer Heart Attack 3 (Could be 2 but based on chap count/ep count of Niji bros, probably not)
25. Atom Heart Father
26. RPS kid 1 (Includes Kira's new life at the start)
27. RPS kid 2 (Probably includes Kira's new face)
28. I am an Alien
29. Highway Star 1
30. Highway Star 2
31. The Cat who loves Kira
32. Superfly
33. Enigma (could feasibly go two but probs will not)
34. My dad is not my dad! + Cheap trick 1.
35. Cheap trick 2
36. Another One Bites The Dust 1
37. Another One Bites The Dust 2
38. Mix of AOTBD/Crazy D is Unbreakable
39. Crazy D is Unbreakable 2
---------cut off----------
40. Crazy D is Unbreakable 3 + Finale

There's going to be some considerable pacing improvements needed to make all this fit it in 39 imo.
I also think it's entirely possible that they mix things up and make the Kira's "New" chapters (one is before RPS, one after) a single Kira focused ep, kind of how they changed around when Shooting DIO!? happened. If they do that, they can make RPS kid one episode (to no net gain)

e: They also gave Okuyasu a sports/superbike looking ride instead of one that looks like this, for whatever reason (easier to draw I suppose?)

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 10, 2016

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

As far as part 1's go, I thought it was p good. Okie getting a big moment to himself at last is noteworthy right there, but I also loved little bits like how they animated Chili Peppers, surprise gradius 64, the way they frame the shots w everyone talking and the bike in the foreground like it's a part of the conversation. Lotsa good stuff this week.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It wasn't bad, just not as good. Kind of a miss in that okuyasu's stuff seemed blunted, this was his moment to be a cool strong boy

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I was really hoping that the bit where Okuyasu pulls himself to the bike would be a lot faster to show how intimidating The Hand can be when Okuyasu puts his mind to it, like his first fight where Josuke just loving zooms across the street into Okuyasu's fist. Just a shot of RHCP looking back at the gang and then VOOOM HERE'S OKU. It's still cool how he catches up but it looked goofy as hell when he just sort of hovered towards the bike.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Wasn't this episode the only solo fight Okuyasu gets?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

WrightOfWay posted:

Wasn't this episode the only solo fight Okuyasu gets?

I think so? I don't remember him being in any fights until Harvest, then Superfly, then finally Crazy Diamond is Unbreakable.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think it is yeah.

He has a fight in "The Book" novel too that got released. He loses that too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oops.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 10, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I really wish we could see what Diesel's World was going to look like.

I found this list around: http://pastebin.com/0Ew3rq2E

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I really wish we could see what Diesel's World was going to look like.

I found this list around: http://pastebin.com/0Ew3rq2E

There's a lot of episodes where they get chunks into another plot going on there and it's not something that David tend to do. Like they're definitely not starting Sheer Heart Attack chapter 2 at the end of another episode.

I can't see them starting Rohan in ep 13 either.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 10, 2016

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

It wasn't bad, just not as good. Kind of a miss in that okuyasu's stuff seemed blunted, this was his moment to be a cool strong boy
Yeah, this. Lots of missed opportunities to give that fight more impact, and they also didn't take the opportunity to fix some odd bits from the manga (like, Jotaro and Josuke were callous about Oku almost dying there, too, but it felt even more off when it was animated this week), and the pacing felt a little off, but it wasn't a bad episode.

ChaosArgate posted:

I think so? I don't remember him being in any fights until Harvest, then Superfly, then finally Crazy Diamond is Unbreakable.
Don't forget that he's also lovably useless in Atom Heart Father, but yeah: also not a solo fight.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Using my double post to add that the only way RHCP could possibly be actually bad is if David doesn't figure out how to include the "This has nothing to do with the story, but here's an explanation of Akira's guitar" page.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Amaryllis posted:

Using my double post to add that the only way RHCP could possibly be actually bad is if David doesn't figure out how to include the "This has nothing to do with the story, but here's an explanation of Akira's guitar" page.

Moments where Araki takes a moment to provide some inconsequential detail might be my low-key favorite aspect of JoJo's.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

When you actually think about it, Okuyasu dos next to no fighting, really, which is a bummer since he does have a cool ability, but then again he's more interesting when he's playing off other people anyway.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I can see it being an issue when you have a dude that while not that bright had an absurdly strong power that would probably beat anyone on a straight up fight if he wasn't tricked.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If something is not bad, but not that good or whatever, here's a bunch of flaws, there's a good chance that it's actually bad but you don't want to say it because you like the overall product, series or whatever.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 11, 2016

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
what was the episode cj was talking about in the anime thread. it better not have been shizuka

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

no they will not posted:

what was the episode cj was talking about in the anime thread. it better not have been shizuka

It's Shizuka. No dignity.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

At first I thought the criticism was, say, "it would have been interesting to have her show up again and it feels like a waste that she didn't," but nope, dude just thought that story was pointless. An objectively bad jojopinion.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Moments where Araki takes a moment to provide some inconsequential detail might be my low-key favorite aspect of JoJo's.
Same. Is there a collection of those pages somewhere?

I'm not gonna call this week's episode bad because even though there were lots of things to nitpick I still enjoyed watching it. :shobon:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Amaryllis posted:

I'm not gonna call this week's episode bad because even though there were lots of things to nitpick I still enjoyed watching it. :shobon:

I wouldn't call them bad, that feels a bit strong, but they were hinjaku, hinjaku!

*Translator's note: hinjaku means weak

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

I wouldn't call them bad, that feels a bit strong, but they were hinjaku, hinjaku!

*Translator's note: hinjaku means weak
When I said it was hinjaku, I also wasn't referring to the animation, which was a disaster on everything that wasn't a close-up shot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Amaryllis posted:

I would be okay with the OP and ED being removed to make sure that moment happens.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't understand why the anime thread are so set on declaring Josuke out of character when we've seen him lackadaisical about the well being of others in crunch time even in the anime so far and we're going to see it again.

The fandom's portrayal and understanding of Josuke and Okuyasu and Araki's are generally different. It's lame.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everyone treats the P4 characters like they're their dogs so it shouldn't come as a surprise to you, tbh.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
While dogs are quite smart, every character in Persona 4 is Dumb as Hell tho, that's fact.

I don't understand why the anime thread are so set on declaring Josuke out of character when we've seen him lackadaisical about the well being of others in crunch time even in the anime so far and we're going to see it again.

The fandom's portrayal and understanding of Josuke and Okuyasu and Araki's are generally different. It's lame.
josuke is a perfect sweet good boy and I will unleash my hanzo steel upon you and Araki if you dare think differently

e: this is not me mocking anyone, this is my true feelings

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Josuke's an rear end in a top hat

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, but so is honestly every single person with a Stand.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

josuke is a huuuuuuuge rear end in a top hat. it comes from his dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I guess the idea is Josuke wouldn't know how long it takes RHCP to kill someone once they get sucked in, so he should be worries about being too late. He has been shown being totally nonchalant about punching through his mom because he knows he can heal her, but there's a lot more uncertainty here than usual.

I agree it's a silly complaint, but I can see their perspective.