Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Ugh Nvidia why did you have to do this stupid pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zero VGS posted:

Dell.com, oddly enough, is the only online retailer I've soon who actually follows the 30 day rule. They literally mail me a post card saying "we're not going to have this within 30 days, so either sign this and mail it back to let us know that's ok, or call and tell us, otherwise we'll automatically cancel the order".

Amazon does too, for their first-party sales.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chuu posted:

While we're talking about stock, 1070 FE cards have been widely avaliable all day at MSRP ($450). This is probably more evidence that the supply constraint on 1080s right now is the memory, not the chips.

I hope this is true so I can build my new computer this month

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Bleh Maestro posted:

Ugh Nvidia why did you have to do this stupid pricing.

So I can have 290 launch flashbacks.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Subjunctive posted:

No, they'd have to deal with churn as people asked for new pricing or whatnot, and it also doesn't help them if the price goes up for some reason.

I think it's just a bunch of accounting they'd rather not do, including people wanting estimates and complaining that it's taken so long. People don't complain if they haven't been able to order, but they do if their backorder takes a long time.

What does SOX have to do with this? :confused:

Accepting money for something you aren't sure you can deliver definitely falls under SOX's general umbrella, but I do not know if that specifically applies to pre orders. If they can accept preorders for uncertain stock, I dont know why anybody wouldn't do so.

In that link above I would hone in on "Supply. For each advertised item, is there a sufficient inventory on hand or adequate sources of supply to meet the anticipated demand for the product?" for a good reason why companies wouldn't accept preorders. Now could you actually get in trouble for that? Lol no probably not, but for the same reason I can't walk out of my office with a mouse that isn't applied to an order for a customer with billing and credit attached to it (yes this is an actual SOX violation).

If there are specific rules that allow distributors to accept preorders with no guaranteed stock coming in then there seems to be no reason to not allow pre orders. Since most people aren't allowing pre orders on most of these cards, that would lead me to believe there are some policies (likely company level) being tripped here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Accepting money for something you aren't sure you can deliver definitely falls under SOX's general umbrella, but I do not know if that specifically applies to pre orders. If they can accept preorders for uncertain stock, I dont know why anybody wouldn't do so.

That's interesting, I thought it just required reasonable basis to believe and not certainty. That would indeed be a pretty high bar for pre-orders, though I suspect that EVGA is quite confident that they will be able to make enough, and that it's just a question of when. Given transparency about the uncertainty of timing, it seems like they'd be OK. Maybe I'll circle back to my lawyer-friend again!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Subjunctive posted:

That's interesting, I thought it just required reasonable basis to believe and not certainty. That would indeed be a pretty high bar for pre-orders, though I suspect that EVGA is quite confident that they will be able to make enough, and that it's just a question of when. Given transparency about the uncertainty of timing, it seems like they'd be OK. Maybe I'll circle back to my lawyer-friend again!

I am just guessing though as to the why here, I have a feeling if there's any truth to it its firmly in the grey zone as well. SOX itself was just one thing I could imagine why a company might enforce their own policy for one thing or another (SOX literally runs my life) but it could be other things.

Guessing blindly, lets say Newegg has its own company policy where if they dont have a confirmed purchase order from a distributor with an actual quantity of items then they won't accept pre orders. For a hot item like these GPUs, they likely just have an open ended request and then they get billed by the distributor after they ship whatever amount of items they end up getting. The people doing the distributing are likely getting them in at a constant rate from overseas and are making no promises to anybody about quantities are divide them up as they come in, day by day. This company policy would be influenced by something like SOX, but enacted by internal company lawyers to simply to avoid potential SOX violations in the future if they get audited. A company as big as Newegg will certainly pay a third party to audit them, or even have their own staff to do so, to keep in compliance.

Once the supply chain stabilizes distributors can make solid promises with actual purchase orders and quantities, and even if they get delayed I think at that point its appropriate for a retailer to accept pre orders, because it is then reasonable to make assumptions that there is a supply coming in.

This would also explain why smaller "companies" (ie Amazon re sellers, some dude) are accepting pre orders because they simply don't give a crap about any of that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

This would also explain why smaller "companies" (ie Amazon re sellers, some dude) are accepting pre orders because they simply don't give a crap about any of that.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
MSI sea hawk 1080 listed at $749 at newegg. (Currently sold out)

:lol:

Edit: $849 at Microcenters website! (Also sold out. Who the gently caress buys these?)

Deuce fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 10, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ars review: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/06/nvidia-gtx-1070-review/ Weird that more traditional sites like Anandtech and Techreport don't have anything yet.

The card looks pretty drat good (though I'll need to see it on the same chart with a 650 Ti) but four hundred bucks is still quite a bit of money. I'm in no rush so maybe AMD will deliver something in the ballpark performance-wise soon, worst case it might get nvidia to discount these a bit.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

micro center is selling FE 1070s for $500.00 usd (which is $50 above msrp)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Ars review: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/06/nvidia-gtx-1070-review/ Weird that more traditional sites like Anandtech and Techreport don't have anything yet.

The card looks pretty drat good (though I'll need to see it on the same chart with a 650 Ti) but four hundred bucks is still quite a bit of money. I'm in no rush so maybe AMD will deliver something in the ballpark performance-wise soon, worst case it might get nvidia to discount these a bit.

Anandtech is slow as poo poo these days sadly. They do good architecture info and so on and bench is an amazing tool but for benchmark reviews other sites are better. I like hardware.fr and computerbase.de because they have some real nice charts compared to us sites.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OMFG are you nerds really talking about LEGAL ACTION.

I really need a 1070 but I am not paying Micro Center $500.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Do we know what the 1070/80 Strix are supposed to cost in € outside those weird prices? Seems like everyone's trying to rake in some higher profits.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

macnbc posted:

What I don't get is why nobody takes backorders for this stuff.

I don't care if it puts me in a queue until August or whatever, just knowing I have an order in place and I don't have to stalk Nowinstock or spam F5 whenever something shows up somewhere would be so much easier.

"I'll just put in a preorder and cancel if it comes in stock or is cheaper somewhere else." Meanwhile the retailer orders and then has to sit on rapidly depreciating goods that nobody actually planned on buying. The only reason you see pre-orders for VR or other Kickstarter items anymore is because they don't have any cash/are Ponzi schemes.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Is it just the reference coolers on the 1080's that have throttling/underclocking issues? Or is it to be expected with all blowers?

I was looking at this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-aero-8192mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-324-ms.html ,

And I'm not sure if it's using its own design or not.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

ufarn posted:

Do we know what the 1070/80 Strix are supposed to cost in € outside those weird prices? Seems like everyone's trying to rake in some higher profits.

I'd love to know, I'm waiting on the 1070 strix or a decent evga 1070 but given the current clusterfuck I'm beginning to wonder if I should forget about it for a month or two.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I am an idiot when it comes to anything higher than 1080p. I have a coworker who is looking to drive two 4k monitors. He asked for my help and I assumed that any card could drive it but if he wanted to do gaming of any kind the new 10 series would be the way to go (but to wait for after market cards).

Is that a correct assumption? Would the 1070 be able to drive two 4k monitors @ 60Hz? Not for gaming I mean, for coding and being a desktop. Obviously he might game on one monitor, but that I know would work decently on the 10 series.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rookoo posted:

Is it just the reference coolers on the 1080's that have throttling/underclocking issues? Or is it to be expected with all blowers?

I was looking at this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-aero-8192mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-324-ms.html ,

And I'm not sure if it's using its own design or not.

I would expect it with any blower cooler, especially the el-cheapo ones AIBs are slapping on their cheapest models. You can probably get rid of most of those issues by turning the fan way up.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

ufarn posted:

The 1080 STRIX is below the FE price currently, which I think is where it will sit for a while ($679 vs. $699 FE).

ASUS seems to have taken the MSRP to heart and then gone up from there with their custom stuff.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Knifegrab posted:

So I am an idiot when it comes to anything higher than 1080p. I have a coworker who is looking to drive two 4k monitors. He asked for my help and I assumed that any card could drive it but if he wanted to do gaming of any kind the new 10 series would be the way to go (but to wait for after market cards).

Is that a correct assumption? Would the 1070 be able to drive two 4k monitors @ 60Hz? Not for gaming I mean, for coding and being a desktop. Obviously he might game on one monitor, but that I know would work decently on the 10 series.

For 4k gaming the only name in town is the 1080. Driving 2x 4k monitors for non gaming purposes could be done with a huge number of cards and isn't even part of the equation if he also wants to game.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

If he is splurging for two 4k monitors why would you suggest he be a cheap rear end on his graphics cards? 1080 or bust, maybe even two.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Durinia posted:

The 1080 STRIX is below the FE price currently, which I think is where it will sit for a while ($679 vs. $699 FE).

ASUS seems to have taken the MSRP to heart and then gone up from there with their custom stuff.

I've been watching it and everything has been more or less expected pricing from the major brands except for MSI. The only MSI card I've seen was actually more than FE, but I doubt that will continue. EVGA has a whole pricing lineup consistent with the past down to $609 ($620 for SC), Gigabyte has been selling their G1 for $650 or less, Asus is frankly one of the highest at $680.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

If he is splurging for two 4k monitors why would you suggest he be a cheap rear end on his graphics cards? 1080 or bust, maybe even two.

He said it's not for gaming, just coding. A GTX 960 could handle that I think, it could drive both at 60hz with Displayports.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

He said it's not for gaming, just coding. A GTX 960 could handle that I think, it could drive both at 60hz with Displayports.

If he wanted to game though like he said it would probably be awful. The 1080 was barely pushing 60fps on some of the high end games in 4k. So I would advise a single 1080 should work.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I've been watching it and everything has been more or less expected pricing from the major brands except for MSI. The only MSI card I've seen was actually more than FE, but I doubt that will continue. EVGA has a whole pricing lineup consistent with the past down to $609 ($620 for SC), Gigabyte has been selling their G1 for $650 or less, Asus is frankly one of the highest at $680.

EVGA's 1070 pricing looks like its starting at like $420 for the lowest card :\

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The 1070 prices are too big a jump from the 970 for my wallet. Here's hoping the RX480 can deliver.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Lungboy posted:

The 1070 prices are too big a jump from the 970 for my wallet. Here's hoping the RX480 can deliver.

speaking of which, what's the word on the 480's relative performance? It's cool that both the 1080 and 1070 are faster than any previously released card, but I have no idea where the 480 lies relative to other cards. Also are some of them 4gb and some 8gb?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Holyshoot posted:

Because he is a very very light gamer. When I asked him what he might play he said "Portal 2 or maybe minecraft."

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sout posted:

speaking of which, what's the word on the 480's relative performance? It's cool that both the 1080 and 1070 are faster than any previously released card, but I have no idea where the 480 lies relative to other cards. Also are some of them 4gb and some 8gb?

We're looking at between a 970 and a 980, closer to the 980, with both 4gb and 8gb models.

We'll know more for sure as we approach the release date, which...I think was around June 29?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bleh Maestro posted:

EVGA's 1070 pricing looks like its starting at like $420 for the lowest card :\

That is about what I expected, somewhere between $400 and $420 for the basic one with a decent cooler.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So is there nowhere to buy 1070s other than price-gougers offering to get them to me in a month?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
drat, newegg had the STRIX 1080 at 6:30AM this morning but I wasn't awake yet!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

So is there nowhere to buy 1070s other than price-gougers offering to get them to me in a month?

There's a lot of nerds F5'ing right now, I'm going to wait for the dust to settle. See what the situation is in a few weeks.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EVGA 1070 at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487247&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=gtx_1070-_-14-487-247-_-Product

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nevermind, lucked out and checked Newegg while they had some Evga 1070s in stock. On its way!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

newegg had them in stock for a full hour this morning, so while it's not gonna be super easy, it's not like these things are instantly selling out. and i still haven't seen anything but the lone zotac on amazon so idk if they're holding back or what.

E: there are four or five cards back up on newegg

wicka fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 10, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Why are people ITT buying a 1070 FE card when they are 100 bucks more expensive and the AIB cards are probably going to be better? Also whats the over under on a place like Fry's having these at their store today so I can go rent one for 30 days while I wait for the AIB versions to show up?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

Why are people ITT buying a 1070 FE card when they are 100 bucks more expensive and the AIB cards are probably going to be better? Also whats the over under on a place like Fry's having these at their store today so I can go rent one for 30 days while I wait for the AIB versions to show up?

A paid forum probably has a bit of a selection bias towards people who make bad decisions with money :v:.

But yeah, the 1070 FE isn't much of a value proposition even compared to aftermarket 1080s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ItBurns posted:

"I'll just put in a preorder and cancel if it comes in stock or is cheaper somewhere else." Meanwhile the retailer orders and then has to sit on rapidly depreciating goods that nobody actually planned on buying. The only reason you see pre-orders for VR or other Kickstarter items anymore is because they don't have any cash/are Ponzi schemes.

And yet there's been preorders available for every single console launch in recent years without this being an issue at all.