Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neato
Mar 2, 2016

This doesn't look very good at all. It kinda reminds me some kind of tie in movie for a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

The positive I'm taking away from the promotional material so far is that I can't see any evidence they're loving too much with the story or sequence of events, which was what bothered me about the movies exponentially more than the animation.

On the other hand, man that CG looks shoddy in motion. It looks better than the films, but the lack of bold outlining on the CG models really does it no favors.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
The animation is not stellar but it looks ok for 3D TBH, I also get a "straight out of the page" kinda look for a lot of the still shots which looks cool. :shrug:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

4 Chan Berserk fans are certainly having a pretty big meltdown right now.

Even I wonder if this will be executed well at all.

Also they might be skipping the Lost Children Arc (at least for right now). No VAs announced for those characters after all.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
What I really wish is that they would stop those freeze frame closeups of the sword because I swear it's the worst looking model.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did people seriously have any expectations after those movies?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Is the thing on the right what its going to look like? That is like a straight bootleg guts, like the copyright safe version of him

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah, the left is the original trailer that looked promising at least.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Reference please. Which reaction?

i'd also like to know when the skull knight reacts to puck

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Speculation that the next Musou game is going to be based on Berserk - http://www.siliconera.com/2016/06/10/omega-force-teaser-starting-look-lot-like-berserk-musou/

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
There's a chapter in the conviction arc where Guts meets the skeleton knight and he tips off that Casca might be at the tower. The knight notices Puck but just notes that it's curious Guts has a creature like that with him.

It's more curious that after the meeting Puck thinks the knight almost felt like an elf...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to watch and enjoy the anime hopefully

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
There are numerous moments that look perfectly fine, a few great even but the poor shots really, really stand out. Still, I'm liking what I see for the most part.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:circlefap: please be true, I've wanted this for so long

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oy. I'm sure I'll get used to it but there's some shots here that really really cry out to be traditionally animated, like Farnese breathing and Guts laughing, which looks like a CG animator trying to do what would work in 2D and failing utterly.

I wonder if they tried making this show in the style of the 90s series how much more movement they could get away with given their current budget (which I'm assuming is larger than the one they had then, but who knows.) I would honestly be okay with another season of that quality in comparison to really badly executed CG, but who knows. Maybe all those shots are from the first episode and we'll be getting some better shots later on? I hope.

I am excited that they're doing the Conviction arc though. That's a great arc.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 10, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm resigned to accepting it just because there won't be anything else, but why the hell do they keep trying to do 3D animation for berserk? Some bits of it look okay but they really, really went overboard. Like one of the scenes near the end of the trailer where guts is staring down what I think is the tree monster from the arc with the fake elf kids and it just looks like a goofy muppet instead of the freaky demon tree it was in the manga. I'm hoping it'll be like the movies and they'll pick up steam and quality over time.

Oh well at least we'll get to see rape horse in 3D.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

For all of our reservations regarding the way the characters are going to look as 3D models, Mozgus is going to look absolutely perfect.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I'm resigned to accepting it just because there won't be anything else, but why the hell do they keep trying to do 3D animation for berserk?

It's the only way to get movement out of characters covered with armor and realistic human proportions, not to mention the incredibly detailed monsters that Guts fights, without breaking the bank. Unfortunately CG animation is a totally different beast to 2D, and lots of tricks that anime uses that work so well in 2D don't translate to 3D. Only a few studios in Japan can really do it well and they're usually working for video game companies.

Maybe if Berserk was more mainstream they could afford to do it traditionally, but this is bloody dark fantasy filled with nudity and rape.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
They should have done lost children first. Think about it, many of the scenes are a bunch of tiny little indistinguishable creatures flying into a sword. Rosine would require detail, but her apostle form could be medium poly and still work. Egg sacks. Yeah, real complicated. Trolls? Pretty basic. Afterwards they'd have more practice, better technology, and improved models for the tower.

Instead they choose to start with the harder stuff. Humanoid apostles, lots of close ups on two dozen different secondary characters. I mean, just start naming all the characters you can think of that build the backstory, all the details needed for the torture chamber, the torturers, Luca's troupe, goat apostle, Joachim... They're screwed.

Insect battles versus all-human melees? They may have made the wrong choice. :(

... still waiting for something better than the anime (other than the manga).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ccs posted:

It's the only way to get movement out of characters covered with armor and realistic human proportions, not to mention the incredibly detailed monsters that Guts fights, without breaking the bank. Unfortunately CG animation is a totally different beast to 2D, and lots of tricks that anime uses that work so well in 2D don't translate to 3D. Only a few studios in Japan can really do it well and they're usually working for video game companies.

Maybe if Berserk was more mainstream they could afford to do it traditionally, but this is bloody dark fantasy filled with nudity and rape.

That seems popular in the west now maybe they should look for foreign investors.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As long as it feels right when I watch the whole thing the 3d won't be the worst thing. It will be terrible if I don't get 80% Hirasawa. What the gently caress was that generic poo poo I was hearing in the latest trailer?

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

Crabtree posted:

As long as it feels right when I watch the whole thing the 3d won't be the worst thing. It will be terrible if I don't get 80% Hirasawa. What the gently caress was that generic poo poo I was hearing in the latest trailer?

Hirasawa's only doing an insert song or two, like Forces in the '97 anime. The soundtrack for the new series is being done by Shiro Sagisu who did the soundtrack on the movies. I kind of doubt the music in the trailers is actually part of the soundtrack for the show, besides the special inserts, but I could be wrong.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
It looks like poo poo and they made Farnese look 12 years old. Bummer.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I really don't understand what they're going for with stuff like the skeletons being rendered in a completely different style.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I didn't mind those earlier previews but yeesh this latest one is pretty terrible.

Everything looks so stiff and the stills look like something out of a PS1 era cutscene.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Begemot posted:

I didn't mind those earlier previews but yeesh this latest one is pretty terrible.

Everything looks so stiff and the stills look like something out of a PS1 era cutscene.

PS2.

PS1 looks really really terrible.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Holy poo poo I really REALLY hope this is true!

Vedius Pollio posted:

For all of our reservations regarding the way the characters are going to look as 3D models, Mozgus is going to look absolutely perfect.

Ha, I didn't even think of that but he'll be the best looking character in this animation.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I'd rather watch an LP of the 1999 Dreamcast game because it's visually comparable to this garbage if you run it through an HD filter, and at least in that you get Susumu Hirasawa's music and an original story.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The monkeys paw is nothing to gently caress with.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Monomythian posted:

an original story.

This is never a good thing with game adaptations of other media (except Witcher for some reason)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Calling it a PS2 cutscene is still being way too critical I think. Anyway I find it much much easier to watch than some CG anime attempts like Knights of Sidonia, but it doesn't match what studios like Sanzigen or Kamikaze Douga are able to do with anime-style CG.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it would be great if berserk was popular enough to get the enormous budget needed to animate it properly. it is not. this is the best we are ever gonna get.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
As long as Griffith is beautiful, who cares?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

What's weird about all of this is I remember the ps2 game having CGI cutscenes that looked pretty good and its sad that the new series looks to be a step back from that, but hey Mozgus and all that so I guess we will just have to wait and see

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

There's now a title list for the first 5 episodes which has been translated as:'

EP01 竜殺しの大剣 --> Ryuugoroshi no Daiken --> The large Dragonslayer's sword
EP02 聖鉄鎖騎士団 --> Sei Tessa Kishidan --> The Holy Iron Chain Knights
EP03 奇跡の夜 --> Kiseki no Yoru --> Night of Miracles
EP04 啓示--> Keiji --> Revelations
EP05 断罪の塔 --> Danzai no Tou --> Tower of Conviction

So conclusively we're completely skipping the Count stuff and the Lost Children stuff. All 24 episodes are going to be exclusively following the Tower of Conviction storyline.

It sucks, but I guess I'd rather have them spend time on the Tower arc rather than butcher all 3 storylines into some incomprehensible mess like the Golden Age movies.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vedius Pollio posted:

There's now a title list for the first 5 episodes which has been translated as:'

EP01 竜殺しの大剣 --> Ryuugoroshi no Daiken --> The large Dragonslayer's sword
EP02 聖鉄鎖騎士団 --> Sei Tessa Kishidan --> The Holy Iron Chain Knights
EP03 奇跡の夜 --> Kiseki no Yoru --> Night of Miracles
EP04 啓示--> Keiji --> Revelations
EP05 断罪の塔 --> Danzai no Tou --> Tower of Conviction

So conclusively we're completely skipping the Count stuff and the Lost Children stuff. All 24 episodes are going to be exclusively following the Tower of Conviction storyline.

It sucks, but I guess I'd rather have them spend time on the Tower arc rather than butcher all 3 storylines into some incomprehensible mess like the Golden Age movies.

I wonder if it will start in media res with the end of the Rosine fight. That's be neat, if nothing else.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Have to say I'm not surprised they don't want to cover multiple arcs, but Conviction is only about 60 chapters (for comparison, Golden Age is around 100) so the pacing might have to be pretty lethargic if they don't want to do any material from Millennium Falcon.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Genocyber posted:

I wonder if it will start in media res with the end of the Rosine fight. That's be neat, if nothing else.

Maybe, or it'll at least show parts of that arc because the preview definitely showed the cursed tree monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It also showed the girl and skeletons from volume 2. Looks like the first episode might be a Black Swordsman Greatest Hits compilation before the show dives into the tower of conviction arc?