Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like them referencing a post in a thread that no longer exists.

I am the gaming company who is threatened by negative feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
:crossarms:

So they're fine with buying a new concept ship every three weeks, even when they know they'll won't be in the game ever at launch

I'm worried about them

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Derek = power bottom

My smartphone was stolen. I am so mad. I kindly request Kayak/catte pictures to calm my nerves. Alternatively another CIG fuckup would help improve my mood. Ben, Sandi, Ray, anyone?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ezekeel posted:

Derek = power bottom

yeah not gonna google that

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

Fuckin :lol: at the page when I now log in

Man, that is sad. Hell you had the most viewers of their game.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Ezekeel posted:

Derek = power bottom

My smartphone was stolen. I am so mad. I kindly request Kayak/catte pictures to calm my nerves. Alternatively another CIG fuckup would help improve my mood. Ben, Sandi, Ray, anyone?

Ben Lesnick, Developer

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm glad of this, but I'm a bit concerned about the amount of footage you'll get that's not of the loader or taskmgr.exe

Time to press <<USE>> and put my gaming pants on

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sickening posted:

I am the gaming company who is threatened by negative feedback.

In the thread I was saying that it was time they got a publisher, not much more really

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

peter gabriel posted:

I'm sure Toast is glad for it.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

peter gabriel posted:

This is just sad, and even less professional than the whole snowflake thing. Real companies don't explain to you why you were bad, like you're a petulant and willful 12 year-old.

YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOM, SANDI!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
telling me how to budget my $115 million? that's a ban

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Star Citizen: Continued Vitriol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

mdxi posted:

This is just sad, and even less professional than the whole snowflake thing. Real companies don't explain to you why you were bad, like you're a petulant and willful 12 year-old.

YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOM, SANDI!

Well, they say I have got a perma ban right next to the date my probation will finish.
Now, I'm not a scientist but all the backers who are going to play this game for decades are going to have a loving top notch monocle popping moment when I log back into the forums, I mean, surely the forums staff want the game to last that long at least?
This begs the question: What do the support team know that we don't? IS THE PROJECT IN SOME KIND OF TROUBLE?
I'd expect more loyalty from my staff tbh

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

In the thread I was saying that it was time they got a publisher, not much more really

CONTINUED VITRIOL

It's interesting how CIG and all the Citizens have developed their own vocabulary with the meaning of words like troll, criticism, week, investment and development

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

quote:

Your continued vitriol versus CIG in the forums and how they spend the money on the project...

Interesting that they say "the money", obviously they couldn't say 'your money' as that would kind of invalidate their whole argument and it seems even for them saying 'our money' was taking the piss a bit too much for a crowdfunded project.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Star Citizen - This Ban does Not Affect Your Ability to Play the Game

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

yeah not gonna google that

frankly I find it hard to believe that you don't know what a power bottom is in 2016

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Obviously, there is no game to play :v:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Google Butt posted:

frankly I find it hard to believe that you don't know what a power bottom is in 2016

nice try but nah

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Well, they say I have got a perma ban right next to the date my probation will finish.
Now, I'm not a scientist but all the backers who are going to play this game for decades are going to have a loving top notch monocle popping moment when I log back into the forums, I mean, surely the forums staff want the game to last that long at least?
This begs the question: What do the support team know that we don't? IS THE PROJECT IN SOME KIND OF TROUBLE?
I'd expect more loyalty from my staff tbh

Time to get on the horn with Ray Roocroft or whatever the hell that idiot's name is to get down to the bottom of this.

Whomever in CIG land that is reading this thread:

1) Pg patch abz promotes your game.
2) Ten year bans are excessive.
3) Client fixes.
4) Most importantly, you ban people, you are banning a potential income source for future sales.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Chalks posted:

Hi moma, I get it that you enjoy posting just to wind people up with this sort of thing but I'm wondering which side of the fence you're leaning towards these days.

Based on the current state of the game, their stated goals, timescales (or lack thereof) and the competence of people in control of the project, can you tell me what percentage you'd give that the game will come out and be a critically acclaimed success at any point in the future?

Are you a 50/50 kinda guy? Are you thinking they've got a 40% chance of succeeding? I assume you're not an insane cultist who thinks they've got a 100% chance of success.

Where abouts would you place yourself on this scale?

Personally, I think they've got maybe a 20% chance of releasing something that average gamers (ones that aren't already invested in the project) think is a high quality game. I guess they've got another 20% chance of releasing something average, and the rest is split between releasing nothing at all or pushing an unmitigated pile of crap out of the door which is pretty much the same thing.

Let's get something clear: I didn't come in here with a leading post. I responded because I was asked to provide my opnion.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I was being serious

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

orcinus posted:

Forgot the details, but the actual issue caused by the low-g is called mast bumping. The blades flapping motion gets so pronounced the rotor head hits the mast. If it causes enough damage, rotor goes bye bye and the helicopter drops from the sky like a rock (essentially equivalent to a fixed wing aircraft losing its wings).

Helicopters back then used a semirigid rotor design, with two blades meeting at a hinge that translates flapping of one blade into the opposite (mirror-ish) flapping of the other, like a see-saw, essentially. When one blade lowers, the other one goes up. Now, the key part of this design is that the rotor plane is below the actual mast "top". If you imagine the rotor disc, the mast goes *through* it. If you now imagine the rotor disc tilting, it can only go so far before the central, inner hub portion of the disc hits the mast.

This was the source of the weakness to low-g. Rigid rotors and fully articulated rotors don't have that issue, and are more common today.

I'm pretty bad at explaining things without a piece of paper and a pen, but if you google "mast bumping", you should find plenty of illustrations.
While you're at it, google "jesus bolt" or "jesus nut".

Most of my knowledge of helicopters is from 80s televsion, but surely you could avoid crashing by just engaging the turboes and flying off at mach 1?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm on 150 meg broadband here but cannot use the internet unless I pause that goddamn bullshit launcher update :thumbsup:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Goddamn :pgabz: . CIG really is treating you like you're their own personal anti-christ. Even moreso, I'd daresay, than DSmart in some ways.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Pgabz is actually talented which is more threatening to them than Derek

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

Time to get on the horn with Ray Roocroft or whatever the hell that idiot's name is to get down to the bottom of this.

Whomever in CIG land that is reading this thread:

1) Pg patch abz promotes your game.
2) Ten year bans are excessive.
3) Client fixes.
4) Most importantly, you ban people, you are banning a potential income source for future sales.

Let us not misunderstand - I am happier being banned, I am not the correct calibre of person to a part of that community, for you see, I am a nay sayer

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I hope they haven't changed the dragonfly concept too much, it is :perfect:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

Most of my knowledge of helicopters is from 80s televsion, but surely you could avoid crashing by just engaging the turboes and flying off at mach 1?

brb off to watch some airwolf

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ezekeel posted:

Derek = power bottom

Kayak with Christmoose incoming

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

orcinus posted:

brb off to watch some airwolf

Airwolf was a loving awesome show, and it still has more realistic vehicle physics than there is in 2.4a-z.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

trucutru posted:

They managed that trademark CIG "poo poo visibility" on a motorcycle, incredible.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I'm on 150 meg broadband here but cannot use the internet unless I pause that goddamn bullshit launcher update :thumbsup:

Exact same, it has caused everything to crawl. lol.

Sucking up CPU, says it is downloading at 3Mb/sec but everything else is hosed.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok so to put it bluntly: they are a business. Sure - they're producing a video game without a publisher (and some would say with misguided management - time will tell), and via a crowd-funded venture. Some of the more blatant trolls here will argue that other funding sources are minimal. Yet some here with a bit more business accumen can understand that no business that wishes to exceed banks on once source of income for progression. Ok - that part is said.

To answer your question, and based on my preface: I think they can absolutely continue to offer ships for pledges/donations so long as they now "have a ship pipeline" that they can reasonable stick with. With over 300 people working, I'm sure there are enough individuals that can be dedciated to working on concepting, designing, and rendering ships that it wouldn't detract from other key elements of development. Now - forget for a second that concept ships might not make it to engine right away, and that they are offering ships for cash before other facets of the game are further developed. Are they forcing anyone to buy it? Nevermind that ships can presumably be bought in-game. They are not forcing anyone to purcahse ships. They are not saying that 'in order to continue funding development, we need to sell these ships - so buy!' They are making something available to people who continue to back a project while still in creation.

If we were to close out all communication of development from this point forward and pretend - for instance - that this were a project run by a publisher, we likely wouldn't hear anything about development progress until later alpha/beta stages, were only a select few thousand were invited, and then a few more in public beta: approx 6-8 months from release (similar to how COD, BF, etc do things). Those users never get anything prior to game release, unless they pre-purchase the title and are offered some mediocre bonus for doing so.

CIG is very unorthodox (and some of you may interpret unorthodox to mean inexperienced, complacent, whatever) in their methods of communication. But, they technically are divulging more about the development process than most other games have done this early in the game.

In summation, I don't have a problem with a business that wants to offer somethign for sale to make money. They are self-tasked with developing and producing a game, but if they want to make some extra cash doing so, they can try. People vote with their wallets. That's not an excuse for ignorance or stupidity. It's just the way of consumerism.

i cant comment

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nice dragonfly, bro.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

trucutru posted:

Can't wait to pilot that thing in a t-shirt and my boxers.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

If you are reading this, support drone, I am sorry

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Let us not misunderstand - I am happier being banned, I am not the correct calibre of person to a part of that community, for you see, I am a nay sayer

God speed son. Twelve months from now we can bid on the Oldman doodle together. In harmony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

trucutru posted:

What the gently caress? Are you supposed to see by leaning out the side?

• Locked thread