Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Meatsicle posted:

That's all well and good, but hey maybe letting people seamlessly jump between solo and open is loving retarded and ripe for abuse. At the very least solo/pg and open should be 2 different profiles.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Why are PG and solo terrible design decisions?

They are if you secretly hate space sims and want them to die faster. Think about it: A space sim is already a niche-game. If you tell solo-players to gently caress off, you make that niche even smaller. Hopefully small enough to kill the game!

The only conclusion you can draw from this is obvious.

This post brought to you by Conspiracy.com. We are the craziest. Accept no substitute!

Edit:

Meatsicle posted:

That's all well and good, but hey maybe letting people seamlessly jump between solo and open is loving retarded and ripe for abuse. At the very least solo/pg and open should be 2 different profiles.

Frontier knows if they do that open will be basically empty anyway.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I like playing in open, but sometines my connection is super bad so I play in solo cause that cuts the matchmaking servers out of the equation. Should I be penalised for that by having all my stuff taken away? Am I 'abusing the system' by being able to play the drat game?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Dabir posted:

I like playing in open, but sometines my connection is super bad so I play in solo cause that cuts the matchmaking servers out of the equation. Should I be penalised for that by having all my stuff taken away? Am I 'abusing the system' by being able to play the drat game?

You're not but in my experience, what the people who get pissy about PG and solo existing don't like to admit is that they're really just mad about "pubbies" existing who they can't personally curb-stomp.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

people who get pissy about PG and solo existing don't like to admit is that they're really just mad about "pubbies" existing who they can't personally curb-stomp.

It's not Elite: Mostly Harmless you know !!

Edit: also; pimp my ride :cool:

https://www.frontierstore.net/game-extras/elite-dangerous-game-extras.html?extra_type=203

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 10, 2016

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Libluini posted:

They are if you secretly hate space sims and want them to die faster. Think about it: A space sim is already a niche-game. If you tell solo-players to gently caress off, you make that niche even smaller. Hopefully small enough to kill the game!

The only conclusion you can draw from this is obvious.

This post brought to you by Conspiracy.com. We are the craziest. Accept no substitute!

Edit:

Frontier knows if they do that open will be basically empty anyway.

Who's telling them to gently caress off? Is it so crazy to suggest that solo and open should at least be separate characters in a supposedly persistent universe? I can't think of any game that handles multi and single player the way Elite does and that's because it's stupid.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Yesterday I had to log into solo to actually get into the instance for an engineer's base. While I have a lot of sympathy with the idea of splitting the BGS between the two modes, in practice this would lead to situations where players could sit in stations flipping modes and arbitrage between them. Given the utility of players being able to access both you mention, I can't see it being changed - which is why I also think player-owned anything is unlikely.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Meatsicle posted:

Who's telling them to gently caress off? Is it so crazy to suggest that solo and open should at least be separate characters in a supposedly persistent universe? I can't think of any game that handles multi and single player the way Elite does and that's because it's stupid.

How persistent do you think Elite really is? Stations and planets and a few other things like nav beacons and REZs stick around, but everything else is instanced. There is no such thing as a persistent NPC ship in the game.

Considering this is an instanced game, why worry about what instance players want to play in? I think it's cool that Frontier gives people the choice.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Remember during the beta when people noticed body mods for certain ships?

Well they came out today for the Cobra, Eagle, and Sidewinder

$12 a pop so definitely only going to drop that on a ship I actually fly regularly...

Still no paint jobs for high-end ships :argh:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
drat you Frontier you may actually get me to buy a cosmetic package if you make something cool for the courier.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I think having Solo and Private in the game was one of the best decisions Frontier made, because it consistently infuriates awful people, who whine incessantly about it

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Something even more difficult to notice and appreciate during normal gameplay. :v:

(where are my Corvette paint jobs Frontier)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Also where are the iggle paints & mods / or why aren't the regular eagle addons compatible? ( lol :10bux: )

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

I think having Solo and Private in the game was one of the best decisions Frontier made, because it consistently infuriates awful people, who whine incessantly about it

Disliking a design choice in a video game makes you an awful person. Oh goons.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

"I just want to be able to take my Robigo-financed murderboat and relentlessly poo poo on pubbies who can do nothing about it. I don't see why anyone would oppose this idea because it has literally no downsides (for me)."

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

BMan posted:

"I just want to be able to take my Robigo-financed murderboat and relentlessly poo poo on pubbies who can do nothing about it. I don't see why anyone would oppose this idea because it has literally no downsides (for me)."

This is really the reaction this thread is giving to the suggestion that people shouldn't be able to seamlessly swap between solo and open? Am I on the Frontier forums?

Also I just cleared my save and I've only ever interdicted someone to pirate them or claim a bounty. I've never randomly killed anyone, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Solo mode is great and it was a very good design decision and I'm happy it's never going away.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Solo mode is fine but ultimately is kind of a bad replacement for an actual not-online singleplayer mode. I'd pay an extra 60$ just to get proper single player or at least a private-server game where I could use mods.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
A terrible picture I took:

I play in open but there are no other players around. Really wish they were forced into my instance so I could have some fun.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mike the TV posted:

I play in open but there are no other players around. Really wish they were forced into my instance so I could have some fun.

…and that's why they aren't.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Is there a site where I can search to find specific things for sale in a Yong Mart near me, like where I can buy an Asp Explorer at a discount?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BitBasher posted:

Is there a site where I can search to find specific things for sale in a Yong Mart near me, like where I can buy an Asp Explorer at a discount?

https://eddb.io/station lets you do that with pretty good accuracy. Pick Yong from the “Powers” list, the ship you want from the ship list, and enter your current system as the “Reference system.”

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 10, 2016

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
For any traders or whatever having trouble with interdictions, consider using mines!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzRLt0Zm8Nk

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
SteamVR needs the steam overlay like normal steam games so I don't have to take off my headset to visit eddb.io and whatnot.

And also netflix.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This is pretty awesome; more of this and less bitching about open/solo because that poo poo's staying exactly how it is and that's a good thing, stop measuring your e-dick by your imaginary bank account/ship size in relation to other players

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

MisterZimbu posted:

SteamVR needs the steam overlay like normal steam games so I don't have to take off my headset to visit eddb.io and whatnot.

And also netflix.

I was thinking exactly this earlier in the week. I have an IP camera and would love to have it appear in the INFO pane when I glance at that.

Even stuff like a Twitter feed or music info from iTunes would be good.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

For any traders or whatever having trouble with interdictions, consider using mines!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzRLt0Zm8Nk
I've been using a pair of mine launchers on my Tradeconda and they are pretty great at dealing with smaller ships, though given what's shown in the video I clearly need to fit a few more. :v:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
HUD positive: Everything looks like a Carpenter tech noir movie. HUD negative: All the NPC's look like they're from a Carpenter tech noir movie :stonk:

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Why does everything have a violet hue?

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Bling posted:

This is pretty awesome; more of this and less bitching about open/solo because that poo poo's staying exactly how it is and that's a good thing, stop measuring your e-dick by your imaginary bank account/ship size in relation to other players

Guess you missed the part where I said I just cleared my save. It's more about players being a lot more fun and engaging than NPCs. This game is far too shallow to be played without other people and I seriously question how anyone can really have fun playing Elite solo past like 15 hours or so.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ShadowMoo posted:

Why does everything have a violet hue?

Because the HUD colour filtering that you can apply also applies to character images (presumably because they're treated as part of the UI and thus have the same colour filters applied to them).

Meatsicle posted:

Guess you missed the part where I said I just cleared my save. It's more about players being a lot more fun and engaging than NPCs. This game is far too shallow to be played without other people and I seriously question how anyone can really have fun playing Elite solo past like 15 hours or so.

It's pretty easy, actually: you just do what you want and play the game without any interruptions from other players.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Meatsicle posted:

This game is far too shallow to be played without other people and I seriously question how anyone can really have fun playing Elite solo past like 15 hours or so.

I've played this game well over a thousand hours, the vast majority of it by myself (mostly in open, just not in a wing or PVP).

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Meatsicle posted:

I did mainly because it was a generalized drive-by threadshit over people having the same goddamned argument since gamma but guess what? It doesn't matter that you cleared your save, the argument's dumb and I'm not becoming a part of it.

Also, can we be mad that there are only kits for the Cobra, Eagle, and Sidewinder? I kind of wish they'd have put one out for the Viper III, at least so I can see how that would stack up to the sexy as gently caress MkIV.

I mean, I get the Sidewinder, actually; it's the moped of the Elite universe so the first thing you should do is throw a kit on that bitch, so I'm not really mad. I guess I'm just the rear end in a top hat that's gonna patiently wait because that stuff looks cool and it seems like it might end up like paintjobs where we get some new ones every major patch or so.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Meatsicle posted:

:salt::allears:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Meatsicle posted:

Why would you clear your save? :psyduck:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Couple thousand lights out in an explorer asp, I decide to try landing on a 3.5G world with my d-rated thrusters... Man, takes a light touch and a clenched butt :o:

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Ambaire posted:

Came back for 2.1 and decided with the mission and AI overhaul that it might be fun to start fresh. I'm enjoying it so far.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Couple thousand lights out in an explorer asp, I decide to try landing on a 3.5G world with my d-rated thrusters... Man, takes a light touch and a clenched butt :o:

Were they the right size at least? If so, try with an undersized one next time… and good luck. :D

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ambaire posted:

I've done it a couple of times. It can be fun starting out again, especially if there's been substantive changes to the early game since you were last in a sidewinder. Your resources a lot thinner, but in a strange way you get more variety in gameplay, since you take whatever you can get where you can get it.

And why not? It's only numbers at the end of the day, so I'll psyduck you right back and ask why get so attached?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

tooterfish posted:

I've done it a couple of times. It can be fun starting out again, especially if there's been substantive changes to the early game since you were last in a sidewinder. Your resources a lot thinner, but in a strange way you get more variety in gameplay, since you take whatever you can get where you can get it.

And why not? It's only numbers at the end of the day, so I'll psyduck you right back and ask why get so attached?

I'm choosing to regard that question the same way as if you had asked if I would consider resetting an mmo account that I had sunk years into, like Eve Online. In Elite's case, the time invested is *only* a few weeks total, but still. Why?!?!?... How could you even consider asking such a question?

• Locked thread