Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He was the writer for Firewatch.

Ironic, because didn't it work terribly on PS4 at release

yes it was a unity game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Electromax posted:

They seem pretty mild to me.

Dunno why PS4'ers would decide the PS4 Neo is suddenly the breaking point for being unable to cope with not playing the shiniest version of a game. PCs are already the NEO for 90% of the games. Better FPS, better resolution, etc. That gap gets bigger each year regardless of what Sony does, until they set a new normal with the PS5 or whatever. It's just the tradeoff for not spending a few hundred bucks to keep up with the latest and greatest, whether it's a Neo or a graphics card.

Consoles are often bought on the assurance that you won't need to buy anything else until the end of the console's lifespan to get the same experience as everyone else. To me that's the main advantage of consoles over PC.

I certainly wouldn't have bought my PS4 a year ago if I knew that they were going to make the NEO.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

Consoles are often bought on the assurance that you won't need to buy anything else until the end of the console's lifespan to get the same experience as everyone else. To me that's the main advantage of consoles over PC.

I certainly wouldn't have bought my PS4 a year ago if I knew that they were going to make the NEO.

the future is a scary place where you have to not care if people have better toys than you because they always will.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the big thing is if sony enforces minimum standards to certify og ps4 games. like i dont care that fallout 5 will run or look better on the neo as long as the regular version is still acceptable

if everything starts turning into lichdom then im out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, the hardware upgrade is not nearly good enough to make the games that substantially different and seems more to just be able to push 4K video, so until there's definitively a game that's busted on PS4.0 and/or a league ahead on Neo, I think I will be fine with my launch PS4 purchase

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

arent they saying the gpu in the neo is going to be roughly twice as powerful?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Andrast posted:

For me, my reason for wanting a PS4 is the player counts that are typically better, so I could try to get most of the game's experience. See: Battlefield Hardline. And I guess Blops 3.

Failing that, I'm aiming for some fight mans like SFV and UFC 2, even if their Knockout Mode isn't Bumfight Simulator like I hoped.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm gonna upgrade to have a quieter ps4 since i have the OG one that's loud, prone to disc drive failure, and uses too much power.

if i had a ver. 2 ps4 i probably wouldn't upgrade.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

the future is a scary place where you have to not care if people have better toys than you because they always will.

It's more that I'm pretty sure that if the NEO catches on the original PS4 versions of games will eventually be lovely ones. Basically the thing where the normal PS4 gets many games at sub 30 frame rates while the NEO versions will run well.

If it was just better graphics I wouldn't care but developers are already having issues with performance in PS4 games and the NEO will cause them to give even less of a poo poo about it.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 10, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Real hurthling! posted:

if i had a ver. 2 ps4 i probably wouldn't upgrade.
yeah mine will probably die at some point and i can look into upgrading then

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

90% of PS4 games also have a version that already looks better on a PC and will look better than a NEO already, so if people went into the console arena purely for technical specs, well

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

arent they saying the gpu in the neo is going to be roughly twice as powerful?

it has doublt the compute units. i don't know poo poo about what that means but i doubt it means double power

Andrast posted:

It's more that I'm pretty sure that if the NEO catches on the original PS4 versions of games will eventually be lovely ones. Basically the thing where the normal PS4 gets many games at sub 30 frame rates while the NEO versions will run well.

ps4 games run pretty bad as it is. i would expect more games to drop to 900p on the base model to run smooth as things get more complex rather than continue to degrade playability. with the neo mandating 1080p devs might not care about achieving that fidelity on the base model - especially since upping the resolution is a really easy way to meet the neo improvement requirements.

idk i'm not as big a defender of the neo as i must seem posting in defense of it all day. i just don't see it as being as disruptive as it might seem.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

ps4 games run pretty bad as it is. i would expect more games to drop to 900p on the base model to run smooth as things get more complex rather than continue to degrade playability. with the neo mandating 1080p devs might not care about achieving that fidelity on the base model - especially since upping the resolution is a really easy way to meet the neo improvement requirements.

idk i'm not as big a defender of the neo as i must seem posting in defense of it all day. i just don't see it as being as disruptive as it might seem.

I just feel like performance on the base model will be first thing developers will sacrifice since they are already kind of doing it. I really don't want to see FF15 or whatever running at stable 30 on NEO and somewhere in the twenties on the original hardware.

Hopefully that doesn't happen but I'm pretty pessimistic about it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Andrast posted:

I just feel like performance on the base model will be first thing developers will sacrifice since they are already kind of doing it.
my guess is it will be resolution since they wont need the base version to get their 1080 screenshots from anymore

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I heard the PS4 NEO will have folders and icon rearranging.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Montalvo posted:

I heard the PS4 NEO will have folders and icon rearranging.

Sony is definitely not capable of that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He was the writer for Firewatch.

Ironic, because didn't it work terribly on PS4 at release

interesting. that game was interesting, apart from the 3rd act letdown.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, the hardware upgrade is not nearly good enough to make the games that substantially different and seems more to just be able to push 4K video, so until there's definitively a game that's busted on PS4.0 and/or a league ahead on Neo, I think I will be fine with my launch PS4 purchase

pretty much. unless they have a good trade indeal or its vastly superior to the 4(if they arn't announcing it at e3, my guess is it isnt) ill just stick with my original.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also no one should watch the Best Friends Play anything

why? i think some of there stuff is pretty funny.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The Neo is necessary because the devs behind Unity can't get their poo poo together.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

I just feel like performance on the base model will be first thing developers will sacrifice since they are already kind of doing it.

Hopefully that doesn't happen but I'm pretty pessimistic about it.

i can see where you are coming from. i think that poor performance on the ps4 currently is mainly because companies without the expertise with the hardware are in a dilemma. the game can look as good as possible (pc mid settings) or it can run smooth.
with ps4 as the lead sales platform for most games devs have pushed to get 1080 resolution on that platform. the xbox can't do 1080p for most games so lots of devs don't even try and there are several multiplat games that run smoother on xbox than ps4 due to the resolution difference (although most of these like witcher 3 and FO4 far harbor get patched to fix ps4 later). with a neo out, it would take the pressure off of the base model to push visual fidelity as advertising shots would naturally come from the glitzier version. devs could put the games on low settings on the base model, lower the res, and get solid performance out of games.

they might not do this. they might just keep choking the life out of the base ps4 model chasing visuals and your pessimism might be prescient, but we just don't know. i'll be mad with you when it happens.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the neo is exactly what I expected it to be

I'm just curious about the price of it and how much they'll drop the base model's price on its release. they said it'll be more expensive than the current model, but is that accounting for price drops? if it's more than $400 on release, that sucks

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm just curious about the price of it and how much they'll drop the base model's price on its release. they said it'll be more expensive than the current model, but is that accounting for price drops? if it's more than $400 on release, that sucks

the article said "more than the 350$ of the current model" or something like that i can't remember if it was in a quote or just something the journo wrote.

i'd imagine 399 minimum on it. hopefully ps4 goes sub 300 but who knows how greedy they'll be

acksplode
May 17, 2004

If Sony prices the Neo higher than the launch price for the base model, I think that'd communicate that it really is more of a generational leap rather than an incremental update, and undermine the credibility of the base model being a viable platform for new releases for the next 2-3 years. Hopefully Sony is smart enough to avoid stoking the backlash like that.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I really don't think there's any reason to believe that the Neo is intended to do anything more than make the PS4 not look like rear end on a 4K television set. Let's not forget - Sony makes TVs as well. 4K has four times as many pixels as 1080p, and the PS4 already doesn't actually render at 1080p, so if you hook your PS4 up to a bigass 4K TV it's... well it's not going to justify your television purchase, at any rate. It's in Sony's interest to make their existing platform (and it's library) look at least as good on a 4K set as the current PS4 looks on a 1080p set. So I imagine what the Neo is meant to do is run PS4 games in the neighborhood of 1080p (or better), rather than somewhere around 720p (or worse).

If you buy it and run it on a 1080p set, you might get a sharper image since, hey, might as well render at the higher resolution. But I wouldn't hold out for better framerates.

I'd be more interested to see if, in a few years' time when they decide to actually bring on a new console, if they decide to market it as a semi-incremental update. Less iphone and more Gameboy Color, I'm thinking. Or 3DS/New 3DS if you want a modern example, I suppose. Compatible with all the stuff that already exists and everything that's coming soon, but also capable of playing the stuff coming next year, that sort of thing.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

most ps4 games are native 1080

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Klades posted:

I really don't think there's any reason to believe that the Neo is intended to do anything more than make the PS4 not look like rear end on a 4K television set. Let's not forget - Sony makes TVs as well. 4K has four times as many pixels as 1080p, and the PS4 already doesn't actually render at 1080p, so if you hook your PS4 up to a bigass 4K TV it's... well it's not going to justify your television purchase, at any rate. It's in Sony's interest to make their existing platform (and it's library) look at least as good on a 4K set as the current PS4 looks on a 1080p set. So I imagine what the Neo is meant to do is run PS4 games in the neighborhood of 1080p (or better), rather than somewhere around 720p (or worse).

If you buy it and run it on a 1080p set, you might get a sharper image since, hey, might as well render at the higher resolution. But I wouldn't hold out for better framerates.

I'd be more interested to see if, in a few years' time when they decide to actually bring on a new console, if they decide to market it as a semi-incremental update. Less iphone and more Gameboy Color, I'm thinking. Or 3DS/New 3DS if you want a modern example, I suppose. Compatible with all the stuff that already exists and everything that's coming soon, but also capable of playing the stuff coming next year, that sort of thing.

with digital storefronts now actually huge business and the whole industry on x86 i doubt they will do anything to gently caress with back compat going forward

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The cinematics for CoD: Infinite Warfare were directed by Guy Ritchie and the main bad guy is played by Kit Harrington. :psyduck:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Awesome! posted:

most ps4 games are native 1080

realllllly?!!!!

Anyway back to Fallout 5 , just reinstalled and frame rate does indeed seem to be better than at launch. Giving this game one more try.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yes, really.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I didn't think it would be possible starting the game, but I platinumed bloodborne (my first and god knows if there will ever be another). :toot: I am a soulsborne fan now, nothing really has the sense of accomplishment these games give. By the time I got to Gehrman, he was a total joke both times I fought him. Still, as much as I love bloodborne, gently caress the chalice dungeons. gently caress them forever. While the regular game is so beautiful and fun to explore, the dungeons are a bunch of repetitive boring rear end boxes brimming with bullshit bosses and mobs. Chalice Amygdala was the worst part of the whole game, really, there was no need for something that awful. Normal Bloodborne is a taught exploration game, chalices are basically the total opposite and only should be there for PVP.

Ranting aside, bring on the DLC and Bloodborne 2. :D

Also I suck at DS3 because being a hyper aggressive victorian badass doesn't translate as well to medieval fantasy land.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
After 10 years and 2.5 generations of consoles we're finally getting 1080/60 living room gaming guys I just know it!!!!1

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

unlawfulsoup posted:

I didn't think it would be possible starting the game, but I platinumed bloodborne (my first and god knows if there will ever be another). :toot: I am a soulsborne fan now, nothing really has the sense of accomplishment these games give. By the time I got to Gehrman, he was a total joke both times I fought him. Still, as much as I love bloodborne, gently caress the chalice dungeons. gently caress them forever. While the regular game is so beautiful and fun to explore, the dungeons are a bunch of repetitive boring rear end boxes brimming with bullshit bosses and mobs. Chalice Amygdala was the worst part of the whole game, really, there was no need for something that awful. Normal Bloodborne is a taught exploration game, chalices are basically the total opposite and only should be there for PVP.

Ranting aside, bring on the DLC and Bloodborne 2. :D

Also I suck at DS3 because being a hyper aggressive victorian badass doesn't translate as well to medieval fantasy land.

You gained insight into the true nightmare.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

jabro posted:

Except it's not.
Yeah, I think a fifth wheel joke is more appropriate.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Real hurthling! posted:

with digital storefronts now actually huge business and the whole industry on x86 i doubt they will do anything to gently caress with back compat going forward

Unless everything goes to ARM.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Klades posted:

If Sony successfully launches the Neo, you're never going to see a big new console refresh from them again. It'll be phone-style incremental updates from here until 2025 or w/e when Playstation becomes a Netflix-style subscription service and the hardware disappears from your life.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I heard that if you buy a PS4 NEO Sony will let you change your PSN name.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

muscles like this? posted:

The cinematics for CoD: Infinite Warfare were directed by Guy Ritchie and the main bad guy is played by Kit Harrington. :psyduck:

sad thing is this is the only cod i have been excited about since Blops 1. Big Low-Sci-fi space battles against fascists outer colonies to defend holy terra. like every other low-fi thing out there.

Manatee Cannon posted:

what did you expect to be if i may ask?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

J-Spot posted:

Have you downloaded the new version? It runs on par with the main game now.

Yeah I just bought it the other day. Still turns into a slide show during some fog heavy areas. I don't care that much anyways. I never play bethesda games expecting polish/good performance.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I made an ODIN SPHERE thread, for all your burning questions and discussion about it

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779601&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post460888431

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Montalvo posted:

I heard that if you buy a PS4 NEO Sony will let you change your PSN name.
Sold!

But seriously though eventually they will need to bring the PSN's account and store stuff into the 21st century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I've got a 4K tv and the ps4 looks fine on it as it is. That said, if the Neo ever gets near £300 I'll buy one and sell the PS4 because I am an idiot when it comes to my disposable income and console stuff.

• Locked thread