Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Autonomous Monster posted:

I dropped about a dozen nukes on Japan and their NU doesn't seem to go lower than 40%. Makes me wonder if it's actually possible to get them to capitulate without Downfall, because I'm fairly certain they do not have 40% of their VPs outside the home islands.

It is, I ended the Chinese civil war with just nukes.

As for Japan, I've seen US players get them to surrender with 3 nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ArchangeI posted:

Thanks man, much appreciated. A few of them are already in, the rest will follow...eventually.

I realise that it doesn't really fit with the timeline, but I think you should make the Bob Semple Tank the starting point for the New Zealand armor tree.

I think a worthwhile detail for the Canadian vehicles is the policy of naming their vehicles after animals, in case there's an issue for creating variant names from whole cloth.

I think the exhaustive (and rather impressive) list of British Variant names is very good, but there was already a historical Churchill Tank Destroyer (more or less) with the considerably more boring name of the Churchill Gun Carrier. There was also a Cromwell TD known as the Challenger, that was a period equivalent. Also I think it's rather insulting to brand the Matilda's TD variant after one of the most garbage tanks Britain ever made. Maybe call that the Excelsior, instead? Also, to prevent confusion with the american vehicle for which it's named, perhaps rebranding its SPG variant to the Alecto might be an idea. It'd be an appropriate moniker to complement the Matilda's idiosyncratic name.

You could say that it's a lovely name for a lovely, lovely lady. :downsrim:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Tindahbawx posted:

Dear god, how on earth do you stop Britain's endless naval invasions when playing as a country without their overwhelming sea-power?

Put a bunch of dudes along your coast and watch them endlessly suicide against you.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Put a bunch of dudes along your coast and watch them endlessly suicide against you.

Yeah, do this and it turns into an easy way to wipe out the UK slices of 10 divisions at a time.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

So the game works in a really weird way in a situation where a faction that you have a common enemy with also has another enemy that you are neutral towards.

The Allies are at war with the Axis and the Soviets, and I'm just at war with the Axis. As my armies push the Germans out of Poland, they don't occupy it, they release it back to Poland, who is in the Allies. Then, immediately after my armies pass through, the Soviets move their armies in and occupy it. The Germans, because they have a common enemy with the Soviets, are able to move through Soviet territory. Which means that whenever a German division retreats from me, it wraps back around through Soviet territory that I can't enter and attacks again. This is a big pain in my rear end and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it other than declaring war on either the Allies or the Soviets, which I don't want to because the Soviets would crush me and Europe is currently a nightmare clusterfuck of my own armies fighting alongside Allied armies and a random patchwork of occupation with territory belonging to whoever launched the first offensive in a particular area and most states containing sections occupied by at least 2 different countries and in some cases as many as 5.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
HoI4: The game that makes you say things like, "Huh. I thought they capitulated. I guess I'll have to nuke them again."

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm Italy, formed my own faction but at war with the UK anyways...but am I going to loving have to somehow naval invade them on my own because that does not sound like a good time.

edit: I own basically every other part of the UK, from africa to the middle east, and I honestly just want the Med.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 11, 2016

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Colonial Air Force posted:

HoI4: The game that makes you say things like, "Huh. I thought they capitulated. I guess I'll have to nuke them again."

Mapgames make you unfortunately sympathetic to the great assholes of history. "These uppity Karelians will never become an accepted culture in my realm. I might as well eradicate them and have them replaced with more productive Russians."

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Do air wings on a carrier automatically support the carrier group or do I have to assign them an air area and a mission?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
For a frame of reference:

The US surrendered before I even got to New York, I think the only city of note I captured was Seattle and Boston and a ton of the no-vp midwest. Nukes can win a war pretty much "single handedly" but it requires some amount of actual advance before they'll consider capitulating.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

Do air wings on a carrier automatically support the carrier group or do I have to assign them an air area and a mission?

They automatically participate in naval battles, and defend the fleet from aerial naval strikes, but to have them fly cover or close air support for your armies you need to park them off the coast with the hold command and then order them into the air zone like a normal squadron

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Well, this is a really fun game and a lot easier than Hoi3. Really loved how easy it was to pull of complex tactics and plans. My only gripes are

Combat AI not aggressive enough
AI wants to send troops via transport through hostile waters when there are safe land routes
Big performance issue in the lategame, beta patch did nothing
The "Chaplin found and sent to meet Hitler" event has generic art and not two moustaches facing eachother

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have a reinforcement request for like, 7000 towed arty, but I have told all my templates to use better arty, why is there still that request?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

I have a reinforcement request for like, 7000 towed arty, but I have told all my templates to use better arty, why is there still that request?

Is it an upgrade request? Post a screenshot

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Elendil004 posted:

When you say better, do you mean a different type of artillery, like rockets or mobile artillery, or just an upgraded form of artillery, like artillery 2?

If it's the former, did you attach support artillery to any divisions? If the latter, then you just don't have enough towed artillery of any type.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I did it, I saved France as a newbie. Things got real tense real fast a month in when Italy started bursting from down south and took over Provence and Germany declared and took out Belgium in two weeks. Initially when the war first started my plan was to let UK help me defend and maybe even do a little poking while waiting for the US to join and take over. Well, whatever UK did it was not something visible on the French mainlands other than the 400 fighters they send to reinforce Paris and US joined years later so it was up to me and myself to handle Hitler & friends. I was so desperate to contain the northern and southern shrinking borders that I ended up with pretty much 1 division each on the Maginot Line, god bless those frenchmen who fought inside those forts for over a year with no reinforcements.

And now I took over Italy and Germany and plan to look to the east and see how I'm supposed to make Japan surrender without any nukes. Also I still don't know how battle plans work. I make a frontline and sometimes they automatically move around to fill in any holes, other times they do jack poo poo. If I put in multiple non connected frontlines they completely ignore all but one. I set an offensive line but sometimes it says there is no division assigned to it and right clicking to assign divisions to it don't work. I just don't know. I've spend three+ ingame years manually maneuvering every single unit from the start of the war to now where I beaten Italy and Germany.

France is sooo satisfying to pull off because of how much of an uphill slope it is from the get go. Especially since AI Italy is competent unlike history, and add on top of that the possible added threat of Spain joining the Axis depending on the game and it can be grueling.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Things took an odd turn in my not-historical Japan game.

It's mid 1939 and I've conquered China and joined the Axis. Hungary is also in the Axis and begins justifying against Yugoslavia; a quick check shows France is guaranteeing them so I figure WW2 is about to kick off. I line my troops up to invade French Indochina and British India, Hungary starts the war and France joins in...

Then Yugoslavia instantly turns around and joins the Comintern, throwing us into war with the Soviets. Somehow France hasn't called in the rest of the allies, so it's the Axis vs the Comintern + France. Would probably work in our favor if I have any confidence of it staying that way, but I worry the rest of the allies will join in. I've just sent half the army I had lined up to take India to invade Mongolia so Murphy's law says that should be any day now.

It's kinda funny watching Germany try to squeeze around Poland to invade the SU though.

Edit: The irony thickens, the Soviets just declared war on Poland so now it's a WW2 where Germany and Poland are on the same side.

Edit2: The craziness grows. Poland joined the allies, so now it's a three way throw down between the allies, the axis, and the Comintern, all at war with both others.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 11, 2016

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Bremen posted:

It's kinda funny watching Germany try to squeeze around Poland to invade the SU though.

Yeah, I enjoyed this as the SU after Germany declared war on France without ever attacking Poland. I swallowed up East Poland which gave Germany a thing narrow corridor to a border a few provinces wide with me, at which point Germany decided that the obvious thing to do was declare was declare war on me even though they were still taking on France. It was pretty much maximum Hitler.

Just finished up defeating the entire axis in early 1943 with a cold war type set-up. Gonna try out some other countries then come back to it for the inevitable Comintern/Japan showdown.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

StarMinstrel posted:

France is sooo satisfying to pull off because of how much of an uphill slope it is from the get go. Especially since AI Italy is competent unlike history, and add on top of that the possible added threat of Spain joining the Axis depending on the game and it can be grueling.
AI Italy is definitely better than historical Italy, but in my french commune game they did lose 2 million men trying to assault the alps in a 13th-20th isonzo.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
man the tutorial doesnt really tell you what you should be doing for the first three years of a game - i mean intuitively its build forces, infrastructure, and try to mobilize but like, do i want to have my dockyards going 100% of the time? is it worth building lovely 1934 planes or should i be waiting for a more modern plane, etc

is there a reason i shouldnt be training every single army nonstop?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Dirk the Average posted:

When you say better, do you mean a different type of artillery, like rockets or mobile artillery, or just an upgraded form of artillery, like artillery 2?

If it's the former, did you attach support artillery to any divisions? If the latter, then you just don't have enough towed artillery of any type.

I am up to Arty III, and all my templates are using it. The support arty (on the left side where you put like, signal companies) just shows arty: 24 not towed or arty 3 or anything.

edit: and I clearly have enough arty 3

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Tindahbawx posted:

Dear god, how on earth do you stop Britain's endless naval invasions when playing as a country without their overwhelming sea-power?

Really cheap way if you have a lot of coastline: get some spare close air support planes or naval bombers (if you have any) and place them on the ocean air zones surrounding your coast with the anti-shipping mission enabled. Watch as the entire royal navy sinks to the bottom of the ocean in under 6 months and be annoyed at the siren that sounds every time you send another Town-class cruiser to Davy Jones' Locker.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I just learned the hard way in my Germany game that you absolutely should not invade the USSR unless you have massive air superiority.

Or maybe just that you should not invade the USSR.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Verviticus posted:

man the tutorial doesnt really tell you what you should be doing for the first three years of a game - i mean intuitively its build forces, infrastructure, and try to mobilize but like, do i want to have my dockyards going 100% of the time? is it worth building lovely 1934 planes or should i be waiting for a more modern plane, etc

Training results in an increased loss of Infantry/Support Equipment. If you have gear to spare, go for it. Once a unit reaches "Regular" they no longer get XP, but you do still get "Army Experience".

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 11, 2016

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

YouTuber posted:

You're invading via British lands, usually it will add it to their lands as the offensive derives from their turf. If you did a naval invasion on the other hand it would then derive from you.

Follow on question from this. Was playing a game as Australia and decided to go for the 'control Bursa' achievement. Was a member of the allies under the UK, but launched by own invasion.
The beachhead I made was showing as controlled by me, however as I'd declared war on Turkey, the UK and France also invaded.
The state of Bursa was probably half and half occupied by me (Australia) and the UK, however it seems as though once we controlled the whole state, all the provinces flipped to UK control.

I don't quite understand why, was it that the control flipped to the faction leader, or that UK controlled more of the state? Saw a similar thing happen when forcing Italy out of East Africa. Was majority Australian controlled, and then it suddenly all flipped to France.

I still managed to get the achievement by diplomatically requesting that the UK transfer me the state, but I still don't understand why it flipped out from under my control.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Verviticus posted:

man the tutorial doesnt really tell you what you should be doing for the first three years of a game - I mean intuitively its build forces, infrastructure, and try to mobilize but like, do i want to have my dockyards going 100% of the time? is it worth building lovely 1934 planes or should i be waiting for a more modern plane, etc

Yup, always be producing. If you don't use them, the factories just sit there empty. There's no downside to producing. Even if for some reason you don't want to trade civilian factories for imported resources, you can still produce everything - just slower than with the appropriate resources.

quote:

It goes through equipment is the only real reason.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I don't understand what's going on here.

I have 335 naval bombers in that section of the ocean and all they did was fly one attack and damage the Viscount. They never damaged another ship after that. In the meantime the RN was chilling in my coastal waters for days and didn't take further damage.

I had my bombers assigned to the correct section and there was hardly any air interception.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Do we know what happens when two nations with nukes go to war with each other? It hasn't come up in my game yet, but I'm curious.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

I love the idea of peace confrences but it seems like there needs to be some kind of distance factor where nations have an exclusive zone to take what they want. The UK/USA being able to guarantee an Allied Poland when the USSR overran Europe up to the Rhine seems really off.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hammerstein posted:

I don't understand what's going on here.

I have 335 naval bombers in that section of the ocean and all they did was fly one attack and damage the Viscount. They never damaged another ship after that. In the meantime the RN was chilling in my coastal waters for days and didn't take further damage.

I had my bombers assigned to the correct section and there was hardly any air interception.

Naval bombers from land only get one round in sea combat. Which is usually plenty, but hey. Carrier planes stick around.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

IXIX posted:

I love the idea of peace confrences but it seems like there needs to be some kind of distance factor where nations have an exclusive zone to take what they want. The UK/USA being able to guarantee an Allied Poland when the USSR overran Europe up to the Rhine seems really off.

In my France game, Poland took half of Japan for itself -_-

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
They should work it so that the Allies prefer to release independent democracies (who are automatically added to the Allies), the Comintern creates puppet states, and the Axis just straight up annexes the territory.

And work it so that you can get multiple copies of nations to simulate the dividing of countries into West/East Germany, North/South Korea, etc. So that as the enemy really does start collapsing it becomes more about pushing the borders so as to make the Iron Curtain fall in a position more advantageous to yourself.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

I am up to Arty III, and all my templates are using it. The support arty (on the left side where you put like, signal companies) just shows arty: 24 not towed or arty 3 or anything.

edit: and I clearly have enough arty 3

You actually don't. The Arty III in the second picture only means that this is the most modern artillery you possess, not how much of it you actually have. If you click on it you get a list of how much artillery you have and of what type. I'm guessing about 10k Arty I and 4k Arty II or so.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Xerophyte posted:

Mapgames make you unfortunately sympathetic to the great assholes of history. "These uppity Karelians will never become an accepted culture in my realm. I might as well eradicate them and have them replaced with more productive Russians."

I''m at least 30% more fascist after listening to the German radio music for 10ish hours.

HOLD DIE DOOR UVIE UVIE AYY (HA HA HA)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Imagine being the President who sent a million men to die in Patagonia and still lost.

This was taken the day the wars escalated and merged, so unless a lot happened in about two hours somehow, every single one of those dead Americans died fighting in the Andes or in their brief, abortive invasions of Mar del Plata. We took a kicking but I managed the front extremely closely and did encirclement, etc., where possible.

These days the yanks aren't the problem though, they apparently decided a naval invasion of southern China was a better use of men. The Allies got both Plurinational Bolivia and Second Brazilian Republic in and so I've been fighting against considerable numbers (Backed up by shitloads of UK troops; idk how they can spare the men because they're fighting across most of Western Europe in France, Spain, Italy, Germany, and the Low Countries, and winning) but after a massive encirclement I've managed to stop Brazil enough to let me regroup and reinforce. Next up, pushing into Bolivia, then hopefully being able to finally make a drive on Rio. I've been trying to do that for two years now, but every time I've been ready to start I've suddenly had to use those units to respond to a fire someplace else. I didn't have even close to enough divisions to both secure my beaches and hold the Brazilian front, but I think I do now.

This game is so loving good.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
How do you get around the monroe doctrine? Im on my third attempt at non historical brazil and every time i declare war on a country the US forces me to sign a peace treaty or declares war. Everybody on the forums say this shouldn't happen and that they changed this, but it isn't working for me and it makes playing any of the sa countries entirely pointless.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Gamerofthegame posted:

Naval bombers from land only get one round in sea combat. Which is usually plenty, but hey. Carrier planes stick around.

Ugh, I had no idea. Do they actually attack other fleets when you set them to Naval Strike ? Or do they only attack if your fleet engages another fleet ?

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
Doing a Fascist Canada playthrough, turned Fascist ASAP and then started supporting Fascist party popularity in the United states, once it reached 33% I started a coup attempt, in 1940 a month before the elections the coup fired and I followed up with a war declaration for Alaska.

I had managed to build 50 divisions to that point, pretty tough divisions too, 4 of them were armour breakthrough that I used on the east coast for encirclements and such. Managed to actually win the civil war with only 50k casualties and the "Free American Empire" is actually letting me occupy all their territory, I gave them the East coast to lessen the load on my garrison duties, but I was pretty surprised they would let me basically occupy all of America except the states where the coup fired(New York and Ohio)

In other news, the former United States consists SOLELY of Hawaii, and they own the 2nd largest surface fleet in the world.

Neobdragon fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 11, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hammerstein posted:

Ugh, I had no idea. Do they actually attack other fleets when you set them to Naval Strike ? Or do they only attack if your fleet engages another fleet ?

They'll do naval strikes, which you'll see pop up now and then. The thing is that you need good recon for planes to do stuff and planes themselves don't provide a hell of a lot. Radar and decryption will help you out, but you get naval bombers showing up pretty much instantly in naval fights because you spotted the enemy from the get go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it appears if you start researching a technology, and then pre-completion you add a bonus to research (through focus/advisors/whatever), that bonus isn't added to that tech - is this correct? just had a situation where i think it was actually beneficial to leave research slots unused/temporarily researching stuff i didnt really care about because i got a -10% to industrial and -5% in a few weeks