Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So, was wildstars forums login credentials getting hacked last year ever a thing? I just checked leakedsource and apparently there was a breach or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Doing the Steam launch with very little fanfare and marketing was a pretty smart move. Instead of a massive influx of players crashing the servers now things will be more manageable. In a week or two Carbine can start running ads for the game to try to draw more plays in. I wonder if Carbine's management actually learned something from their past mistakes.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
In no realm of the imagination would there ever be a "massive influx of players" for Wildstar.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I suppose I should specific that by "massive influx of players" I mean "enough to crash the servers"

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Now that I believe. Because that would be ~30 or so people.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
wildstar steamrelease:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

there were goons who paid full box price and a monthly sub for this garbage

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
i was one of those unfortunate sods.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
we were fools

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Hey now, I got like $3 off through Green Man.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I see some clever mod changed the thread title.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/4ndhbw/1000_players_are_playing_wildstar_on_steam_i_knew/

1000 people are playing Wildstar on steam! Its a success! :)

(no it isnt)

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Can you get protobucks or ncpoints or greencoins or whatever the store currency is with your steam wallet?

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Can you get protobucks or ncpoints or greencoins or whatever the store currency is with your steam wallet?

Yes...?

You can buy some of the packs through steam but they are overpriced bundles compared getting them through the in game store.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I went ahead and gave this game a go. The f2p launch was such a disaster I really didnt get to play, and Ive always wanted to give it another chance since I felt there was so much potential. It really does feel like Carbine hasnt learned a loving thing though.

Logging into a character you continue to be absolutely bombarded with poo poo. You log in, the area around you loads, the UI loads.... and then the information overload begins. Before I can even open my bags a nagging quest notified pops up despite the fact that I have given no indication I would like a new quest. Then the help menu opens. Then a Protostar Corporate Bot appears at the top of my screen to provide flavor text for the quest I just turned down. Then the "please dont forget the cash shop" window opens up. Its just more and more bullshit that makes it feel impossible to play the game, and none of it explains where the gently caress my pants went.

Seriously, was my account hacked or something? No? Apparently instead of just replacing my pants with an equivalent piece of gear, I have been given a token for new pants. So I wade through the steady stream of quest notifications(seriously what the gently caress is my holocrom constantly blinking?) to find the token merchant(none of the popups have bothered to tell me where this merchant is, nor is he on the map, I had to wander around to find him). Can I just trade this token for my new gear so I can go play? No? Ok apparently I have to actually craft my new pants. All the stats are different now though so I have to figure out what they do. What stats do I need? To make matters worse, on the crafting screen the stats you are assigning to your item dont have a working tooltip. Nor is the actual name of the stat displayed. So you can see the icon for that stat, but if you dont know what icon represents crit, or multistrike, or one of the other metric gently caress ton of stats in the game you are in trouble. To make things worse, its not just my pants that I have to recraft from a token, its about six slots worth of gear. And after I slog through that I have to slog through reconfiguring my AMPs, since they have all been reset(instead of just changed to be roughly equivlaent to what I had before), I am missing abilities so I have to set my LAS back up. Its probably going to be an hour before I actually do a single quest, and despite the game's never ending stream of "helpful" annoyances, not a single one of them have actually helped me with all this poo poo.

Seriously, what the gently caress Carbine? I am trying to give your game another shot, but you are making it nearly impossible. This "information overload" style of design is what made leveling in the game annoying the first time around. Somehow it seems to have gotten even worse. Has no one actually learned from past mistakes?

DapperDraculaDeer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 10, 2016

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Percelus posted:

there were goons who paid full box price and a monthly sub for this garbage

I actually met some pretty chill people so for me it was worth it :unsmith:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I met some chill dudes in Space Jam. I'd like to game with them again.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Just installed via Steam, where do I go to get into the goon guild?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parker Lewis posted:

Just installed via Steam, where do I go to get into the goon guild?

you don't

uninstall imo

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

I like this, this whole pants thing. I want to believe that one of the patches just removed pants and now you have to slog through menus to craft them with a universal apology token.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Kelp Plankton posted:

If you take out modern features from modern games people just get frustrated they aren't there, making things harder to do would not have helped Wildstar's launch

This.

Not having a group finder is just stupid. The difference between me hitting the "queue" button and enjoying some questing or crafting while it waits | versus me spamming trade chat or zone chat with "LFG DUNGEON X LEVEL 32 RDPS AND OFFHEALS" for an hour is major. I won't play a game that doesn't have a working group finder anymore.

I never understood the weird grognardy dislike of group finders. If you'd rather spam trade chat for an hour, be my guest - no one is saying you have to use the finder.

Edit: gently caress, I think I just answered my question. Grognard powergamers don't want anything that makes the game easy or fun for people who don't treat it as a second job. They spend literal hours each day in their powerguilds, so they don't have to use a group finder. Those of us with lives who play a few hours a week would have an immeasurably better experience in a group finder situation... so therefore, the mouthbreathing poopsockers don't want it in their game.

kaxman posted:

bugs that wiped people's progress and couldn't be fixed without doing it all over again

what

is this real?

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 10, 2016

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Thursday Next posted:

what

is this real?

There was a bug that would wipe out the month long attunement to raids. If you got it you couldn't even try and attune again. The dev response to that initially was supposedly, 'Well, roll a new character'.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 10, 2016

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

so if the steam release doesn't somehow turn this smoldering dumpster fire around will ncsoft pull the plug finally?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Givin posted:

I met some chill dudes in Space Jam. I'd like to game with them again.

FYI most of the prominent space jam dudes were Gold Knuckles guys who play WoW. Also I was stylie.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

I like this, this whole pants thing. I want to believe that one of the patches just removed pants and now you have to slog through menus to craft them with a universal apology token.

I completely wrecked a lot of good gear because the stat system changed and all my poo poo got turned into tokens and there was no information anywhere to be found, and the token vendor is a giant unexplainable piece of poo poo that doesn't just give you a few pieces of gear that you can trade in for, you have to gently caress with buttons and gizmos and poo poo to get your gear.

Thanks to my Eve online days my first instinct when a game is being stupid and I need to figure poo poo out is to join up with a group of people that already have it figured out who can tell me where I'm being dumb.

So I joined a guild, they crafted me all new gear, I generally unfucked myself, and I had fun with the game for a few months. Ultimately the frustration that made me quit was just how alt unfriendly this poo poo is. Wildstar is like it or not a raiding game ripped straight out of the mid 00's. Anyone who's run with a raiding guild for a while has had a point where you just needed to gear up/setup an alt real quick to fulfill another role in the raid. We needed a new tank, and we needed one of our raid leads to be that tank so we could set a good tempo and actually get things done. So I leveled and geared a tank for entry level raiding. That bit was easy.

The hard bit was all of the amp/ability tier points that turned me from a "Good enough for dungeons, may be squishy in raids" tank were locked behind long loving grinds OR spending a fuckton of in game currency (Like more than most players can realistically make).

I had already gone through that pain on one character. So I just quit instead, the raiding guild fell apart, and we all quit the game. ~the end~

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ShadowMoo posted:

There was a bug that would wipe out the month long attunement to raids. If you got it you couldn't even try and attune again. The dev response to that initially was supposedly, 'Well, roll a new character'.

I think it was something that specifically affected guild leaders so it was perfectly focused to piss off their most hardcore customers. I guess they were also the ones most likely to go through the entire grind again, though.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Percelus posted:

so if the steam release doesn't somehow turn this smoldering dumpster fire around will ncsoft pull the plug finally?

I doubt it. NCSoft is on the hook for what has to be some pretty hefty development costs. They will probably at least keep it on lifesupport for as long as the cash shop is bringing in some money.

Then again, the game looks positively embarrassing on the quarterly earnings report. It is so bad that various video game news sites routinely run a small piece about how poorly Wildstar is performing. NCSoft might just jettison the thing because it is making them look bad.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I am still amazed how Lineage 1 is still NCsoft Global's top earner by a large amount. Apparently Wildstar only made 1,282 (units, I'm guessing dollars) in Q1 2016.

Edit: Apparently the units are Million Won. So google convert says $1,093,981 in Q1 '16.

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx

Double Edit:

Currently Very Positive on steam somehow?

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 11, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

ShadowMoo posted:

Currently Very Positive on steam somehow?
there's not a single negative review of this trash game in the last 48 hours, good job on getting the last 600 people that play this to shill for ya carbine

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

TheAgent posted:

there's not a single negative review of this trash game in the last 48 hours, good job on getting the last 600 people that play this to shill for ya carbine

There have been quite a few but the hive mind is telling people not to reply or bump those.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Everyone I know who's tried to play it from steam ("oh come on how bad can it be" they say) has had the installer crash.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anoia posted:

Everyone I know who's tried to play it from steam ("oh come on how bad can it be" they say) has had the installer crash.

it installed for me and i got in. that's a real boring game you guys. it tries so hard, too.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The Wildstar subreddit is cheering because it's the "top trending game" on Steam right now:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That will last for all of about five days. At most.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I am installing the game right now, Pray for me

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I typically dont uninstall games even if i dont play them. Wildstar is different, very different.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Ok some questions:

Are the controls supposed to be this clunky?
Why do I have to be standing within 2mm of someone/object to interact with it?
Why is this lady making me go on a quest when the quest arrow doesn't tell me where to go?
Why have I had to lower my settings to 2004 mode to sort out the framerate?
Is this going to get any better? actually no don't answer that one

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ronnie posted:

Ok some questions:

Are the controls supposed to be this clunky?
Why do I have to be standing within 2mm of someone/object to interact with it?
Why is this lady making me go on a quest when the quest arrow doesn't tell me where to go?
Why have I had to lower my settings to 2004 mode to sort out the framerate?
Is this going to get any better? actually no don't answer that one

In order then;

It
is
a
bad
game.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Well a 700 percent increase is usually really impressive. Usually. When you increase from gently caress all to still not quite 3000 people which is still gently caress all for any MMO then it's really not. Gotta have some perspective there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
wildstar is not a bad game. it just has a lot of poor decisions ripped right out of nostalgia riddled minds who think vanilla wow is the best thing ever

fake edit: the killing of mans and watching numbers go up is pretty good

• Locked thread