Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Cernunnos posted:

There are like 2 walls in the game that you can just break to find stuff behind.

They're not illusions. You just smash a wall and there's goodies behind it.

Which is silly, because to the player, there's really no difference. It reminds me of telling DS1 players, "No, barrels don't have items... but they do hide items, so you might as well hit them.... and maybe 3 in the whole game actually do have items. Just go ahead any hit all the pots and barrels"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That one doesnt count, it's actually a lizard in a barrel.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Captain Lavender posted:

Which is silly, because to the player, there's really no difference. It reminds me of telling DS1 players, "No, barrels don't have items... but they do hide items, so you might as well hit them.... and maybe 3 in the whole game actually do have items. Just go ahead any hit all the pots and barrels"

I still hit all the pots and barrels even though I know they don't have items and lol if you don't.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Captain Lavender posted:

What kind of joyless gently caress doesn't roll through every barrel and piece of furniture? Chief reason Dark Souls 2 is the indisputably the worst one is that they took out the physics objects when smashing through poo poo and the balloon ragdoll corpses.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Would saying that you can't break metal chests with weapons be counted as a spoiler?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Huey's hair is more birdlike than Hal's, as it turns out.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Dark Souls II has some weird butt stuff going on. It's noticeable with a few armor sets. But it's pretty apparent with the Elite Knight set because you know it from the first game and it seems off. It's just that your character's butt looks fat in this and some other sets.

I'm not even kidding. The way the armor morphs to fit the body seems to make it that way. I encourage you too look at characters from the side too when trying out sets. It's more obvious with some. The Elite Knight set is not the worst offender, but one of the more noticeable ones.

You know, being completely serious, I noticed that when I first plated too. Some body type proportions are way the hell out of whack. And it turns out I still had the screenshot.

Look at this bullshit. That is not how butts work, From. :catstare:

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 9, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats the butt slider's fault

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Porkcullis?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Thats the butt slider's fault

Would that be butt acuity, butt height or butt length?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
DS2 started using mocap. They probably fell into the trap of wanting to keep the same old skeleton from DS1 so that they could continue using character game assets going forward. That skeleton probably wasn't too mocap-friendly, causing the characters to stick their butts out once in motion. I've seen this sort of thing before; Sometimes it's a slouch, sometimes it's a shrug, and sometimes you might just get the butt.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Like in DS3 with a certain emote and clothing option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNE4fRZRdRc

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IGgy IGsen posted:

Dark Souls II has some weird butt stuff going on. It's noticeable with a few armor sets. But it's pretty apparent with the Elite Knight set because you know it from the first game and it seems off. It's just that your character's butt looks fat in this and some other sets.

I'm not even kidding. The way the armor morphs to fit the body seems to make it that way. I encourage you too look at characters from the side too when trying out sets. It's more obvious with some. The Elite Knight set is not the worst offender, but one of the more noticeable ones.

The pauldron is misaligned too, compared to DS1.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Great Job!

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Wow, that upgraded mace of yours really took Last Giant apart. :stare:

VERY GOOD.

Probably for the best that you dealt with him quickly; the Last Giant's stomps have a pretty wonkey hitbox and can hit you from a good bit further away than you may think. Also the 'flop over' attack which left it wide open for a good tenderising.

I will say, while this boss has its issues, as a first boss it isn't too bad. The design of the giants is suitably "other" with the giant hole for a face which is effectively disconcerting. That and the "rip its own arm off to beat you with" is kinda metal. Silly, but metal. Plus, 10K souls is pretty generous for the game's first boss. You could do some jolly co-op right here and gain a decent amount of souls from it. So that's kinda nice, too.

Also WOW I didn't realize you got quite that upset over the durability discussion earlier. That was kinda funny to listen to, actually.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 11, 2016

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I think I remember that unpatched version of First Giant was able to kill the player in one stomp, if not one hit in general. Anyways he was bullshit but some people got real pissed that he got nerfed in a patch. I just think that the meant-to-be first boss taking all your health bar in one is kinda garbage and thus am happy he was made a bit easier (while still being tough).

e: the durability discussion was unbelievably bad, what is it with geop threads getting ten pages of terrible arguments nobody cares about anyways (might be just the DS threads since I remember the DS1 thread being like that too)

smuh fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 11, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The original version of DS2 still had an encounter to fight you on the giant stone sword, but instead of four weak hollow infantry it consisted of two hollow soldiers. One was resting at the end with a shield and spear, while the other would drop behind you with a bastard sword. As with Scholar's version of the encounter, it was a trap for the oblivious. Standard Souls fare, really.

Geop didn't show it off (or at least not much), but one of the amazing features of DS2 is that many of the really large enemies have multiple points at which to lock onto. In the case of the Last Giant, his chest is considered one point, while each of his feet has another point for a total of three. Otherwise, yeah, he's pretty easy if you've got your head in the game. A friend of mine was playing DS2 blind as his first Souls game several months ago, and even he managed to take down the Last Giant without dying once to the boss.

Kuvo must have been thinking of something else when he was wondering about a bonfire in the Last Giant's boss arena, since that's not a big thing in DS2. Generally DS2 does what DS1 did to instead place bonfires shortly after boss encounters (among other places).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Geop didn't show it off (or at least not much), but one of the amazing features of DS2 is that many of the really large enemies have multiple points at which to lock onto. In the case of the Last Giant, his chest is considered one point, while each of his feet has another point for a total of three. Otherwise, yeah, he's pretty easy if you've got your head in the game.

This is a feature that, like many in the series, is only absent from DS1. It was in Demon's, and is in all of the games post-DS1.

quote:

Kuvo must have been thinking of something else when he was wondering about a bonfire in the Last Giant's boss arena, since that's not a big thing in DS2. Generally DS2 does what DS1 did to instead place bonfires shortly after boss encounters (among other places).

He may have been conflating how this game handles bonfires with Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, or DS3, since all of them do that.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
In the original unpatched console version the Last Giant was a bit harder. His stomp would one-shot most characters and him falling down was a guaranteed kill pretty much. They eventually toned it down to not have one-hit kills anymore (except the fall, that can still do it, but if you put all your points till then into vigor to up your HP you might survive). He wasn't too hard, but for a first-time Souls player's first boss maybe a bit rough.

When they toned it down, needless to say, certain people were whining about how this first boss in a video game was too easy because he could not kill you in one hit.

Thing is, just having your entire health bar depleted in one attack is something that Souls games do incredibly rarely, mainly because it's not fun or fair (unless the telegraph is ridiculous and makes it clear you're gonna get wrecked, I mean, the stomp is obviously telegraphed, but not one-hit kill telegraphed. I'm thinking big charge-up moves. And even those don't usually kill you in one hit.) And yet some people were championing for him to stay as hard as he was. Personally, I just like seeing Souls Lords getting mad that their core game gets ruined by casuals, or however they want to spin it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
i really hate that red filter they put over the boss intro. it's ugly and sucks.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Oh hey, somebody else remembers the last giant one hit kill bullshit. Am glad that Geop is playing SotFS all around.

Arrhythmia posted:

i really hate that red filter they put over the boss intro. it's ugly and sucks.
One of the many strange experimental things DS2 did. It's kinda why I love it, they just threw everything in there to see what would stick and pretty much leads to both good and bad design decisions - but most importantly, it leads to something fresh. But yes the boss vignettes are silly

smuh fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 11, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Genocyber posted:

This is a feature that, like many in the series, is only absent from DS1. It was in Demon's, and is in all of the games post-DS1.
It was in Demon's Souls? By now I've seen several LPs worth of footage from the game, but I never saw anything like that. :iiam: In any case, DS2 does it a lot compared to other games in the series and is better for recognizing its utility.

IGgy IGsen posted:

In the original unpatched console version the Last Giant was a bit harder. His stomp would one-shot most characters and him falling down was a guaranteed kill pretty much. They eventually toned it down to not have one-hit kills anymore (except the fall, that can still do it, but if you put all your points till then into vigor to up your HP you might survive). He wasn't too hard, but for a first-time Souls player's first boss maybe a bit rough.
Every time I hear "unpatched console version" when referring to a Souls game, I just shake my head and laugh. I'd be annoyed about the PC versions releasing later if not for From's goofball errors that get fixed within a week of release.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

Every time I hear "unpatched console version" when referring to a Souls game, I just shake my head and laugh. I'd be annoyed about the PC versions releasing later if not for From's goofball errors that get fixed within a week of release.
Holy poo poo yea unpatched DS1 was some giant poo poo allright. Punishing the player as much as possible was the name of the game. But I suppose that's not a discussion for this thread :v:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

It was in Demon's Souls? By now I've seen several LPs worth of footage from the game, but I never saw anything like that. :iiam: In any case, DS2 does it a lot compared to other games in the series and is better for recognizing its utility.

Yup. Tower Knight, Maneater, Adjudicator, Storm King, and I'm pretty sure Leechmonger and the trash golem all do. I'm also not going to both and think about DS3/BB in specific, but I feel like they use it about as often as DS2.

And those delays are why the original release console version is always the best. Get to experience all the broke-rear end poo poo before they patch it, hell yeah.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Arrhythmia posted:

Weird thing to get upset about.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Geop was right, those enemies on that sword do drop down from above. My first time through I read a message about an ambush and peeked out/back and they just dropped right down easy to fight.

Last Giant is a neat boss, it's more or less a warm up, I think.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

I didn't mind so much in this fight since it kinda worked with how the Last Giant woke up?

Problem is it uses that effect for EVERY boss fight cutscene. Regardless of whether it makes any sense or not. It's pretty dumb. Not the worst thing in the game though, by any stretch of the imagination. But it is a weird thing that can be criticised.

Also I had no idea the Last Giant's stomps were so overpowered initially. I only played the PC version which I recall was delayed by... a month or so? So that would be why we were spared from that particular pain.

Genocyber posted:

Yup. Tower Knight, Maneater, Adjudicator, Storm King, and I'm pretty sure Leechmonger and the trash golem all do. I'm also not going to both and think about DS3/BB in specific, but I feel like they use it about as often as DS2.

I'll be totally honest, I totally forgot that other bosses in Demon's Souls besides the Tower Knight had multiple lock-on points. But now that you mention it; each maneater has a lock-on point for its tail as well as the main body, Adjudicator has that gash in the golem's side as well as the bird on top (which I recall is actually the Adjudicator) and Storm King has multiple points along its underside.

I don't think Leechmonger does... I can't remember if Dirty Colossus does either. Dirty Colossus seemed a bit too small to really have those multiple points. I feel like Old Hero would be large enough for it but I don't think he has multiple lock-on points either.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 11, 2016

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The Last Giant's stomps were never super powerful, they just remembered wrong.

The thing the Last Giant does that does lots of damage is smashing you with its arm and it still does.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

I had to do a little bit of searching around, but I did find some patch notes for "Version 1.03 / Calibration 1.04" on the 8th of April that mentioned having reduced Last Giant's damage "even further" among some other stuff that counts as spoilers so I won't link the actual thing I found here. For those interested though, it's on GiantBomb. One of the comments on the thread also mentioned something to this effect;

"He can 1 shot low level characters that are fully hollowed. I was watching my friend fight him and he kept getting 1 shotted by the stomp attack. I know that he should 'get gud' but From Software probably have stats that show that new players were having difficulty against him."

So, it is a possibility that they aren't remembering entirely wrong. Though I never experienced Last Giant pre-PC release so I can't personally account for this story. But there is some patch history to support it.

I do remember the swinging-its-own-arm-at-you stuff being quite nasty as you said, though, so it's good that Geop finished it off before it stuck around like that for too long.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 11, 2016

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

MGlBlaze posted:

I had to do a little bit of searching around, but I did find some patch notes for "Version 1.03 / Calibration 1.04" on the 8th of April that mentioned having reduced Last Giant's damage "even further" among some other stuff that counts as spoilers so I won't link the actual thing I found here. For those interested though, it's on GiantBomb. One of the comments on the thread also mentioned something to this effect;

"He can 1 shot low level characters that are fully hollowed. I was watching my friend fight him and he kept getting 1 shotted by the stomp attack. I know that he should 'get gud' but From Software probably have stats that show that new players were having difficulty against him."

So, it is a possibility that they aren't remembering entirely wrong. Though I never experienced Last Giant pre-PC release so I can't personally account for this story. But there is some patch history to support it.

I do remember the swinging-its-own-arm-at-you stuff being quite nasty as you said, though, so it's good that Geop finished it off before it stuck around like that for too long.

A fully hollowed low level character gets one-shot by lots of things, though.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

That's kind of a whole other problem with the game as a whole, really. I mentioned it before but Dark Souls 2's health system is poorly balanced. In Demon's Souls enemies were balanced around your half-health soul form so things would never be too unreasonable. Dark Souls 1 did away with that entirely except for the Curse status effect, which is a really terrible thing to have happen to you and takes #1 priority on curing if you are unfortunate enough to get hit by it. Dark Souls 2 kind of throws the idea out the window so if you end up getting down to minimum health, and you have no Human Effigies, you're kinda up poo poo creek. Outside of some exceptional circumstances or very specific things (Like, say, managing to go into an area FAR beyond where you should be. Though even then I don't think many things will one-shot a new character in Dark Souls 1 if you go right to Blight Town), nothing should one-shot you ever. That's kinda just a symptom of poor/weak/sloppy design.

Dark Souls 2 has some neat ideas but a lot of the level and encounter design is rather poor. We've seen a few examples of the usual "bum-rush the player with a group of enemies" tactic a bunch already, for instance.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 11, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MGlBlaze posted:

That's kind of a whole other problem with the game as a whole, really. I mentioned it before but Dark Souls 2's health system is poorly balanced. In Demon's Souls enemies were balanced around your half-health soul form so things would never be too unreasonable. Dark Souls 1 did away with that entirely except for the Curse status effect, which is a really terrible thing to have happen to you and takes #1 priority on curing if you are unfortunate enough to get hit by it. Dark Souls 2 kind of throws the idea out the window so if you end up getting down to minimum health, and you have no Human Effigies, you're kinda up poo poo creek.

This would be the case if not for them including the Cling Ring equivalent (also the small white soapstone but not everyone will be able to take advantage of that, of course).

quote:

Dark Souls 2 has some neat ideas but a lot of the level and encounter design is rather poor. We've seen a few examples of the usual "bum-rush the player with a group of enemies" tactic a bunch already, for instance.

I see a lot of people say this and I've never understood it, because DS2 very much does not do this. It throws groups of enemies at you, yes, but it doesn't just throw them at you willy nilly. Usually how it works is one of two will approach with a larger group lagging behind. If you're overly defensive and fail to kill the first few quick enough then you could be in trouble, but that's ultimately on you.

Another weird thing is people seem to think DS2 is the only Souls games to favor large groups of enemies, when it's really more that DS1 is the only game to not do so. DeS, BB, and DS3 all favor large groups of enemies as their standard for encounter design.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
:goonsay: So the problem with weapon durability is

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
For a second, I was worried that geop would lay waste to the boss so quickly we wouldn't get to see phase 2 :ohdear:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

MGlBlaze posted:

if you end up getting down to minimum health, and you have no Human Effigies,

That is a very big if, my dude. The game drowns you in the things.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Genocyber posted:

This would be the case if not for them including the Cling Ring equivalent (also the small white soapstone but not everyone will be able to take advantage of that, of course).
:agreed: It's been said before (by me, for instance), but Scholar absolutely throws Human Effigies at you. DS2 originally gave them at a more measured pace, and yet you could still ration them without farming or being summoned to always have at least 80% of your maximum health if you weren't reckless.

quote:

I see a lot of people say this and I've never understood it, because DS2 very much does not do this. It throws groups of enemies at you, yes, but it doesn't just throw them at you willy nilly. Usually how it works is one of two will approach with a larger group lagging behind. If you're overly defensive and fail to kill the first few quick enough then you could be in trouble, but that's ultimately on you.

Another weird thing is people seem to think DS2 is the only Souls games to favor large groups of enemies, when it's really more that DS1 is the only game to not do so. DeS, BB, and DS3 all favor large groups of enemies as their standard for encounter design.
If there's one thing I've found funny looking back at the series, it's that there are a lot of things that only DS1 did or didn't do despite the community getting surprised about those things being different in other games. And honestly, I prefer the encounter design here precisely because it doesn't let you be ultra-cautious behind a shield or greatshield like DS1 allowed. Instead it rewards you for balancing on that razor's edge between aggression and prudence. In that sense it feels a bit like managing Hypermode in Metroid Prime 3, since if you knew how to work that then you could run around as an unstoppable engine of destruction.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Ariong posted:

That is a very big if, my dude. The game drowns you in the things.

There's also the small white soapstone which I've really wished was in DS3 a couple of times. Sometimes I just want to go on a short coop adventure to explore the next area and humanize, without having the next boss spoiled.

[E:] Scholar actually added a bunch of fairly powerful small sign NPC summons that can help you out with some of the more annoying areas of the game and I hope Geop goes human a bit more often so he can see them. There was one particular buddy with a Heal miracle that I remember very fondly from when I went through.

Re: hitting closed doors to have enemies open them, the mechanic occurs in other places. It's not hitting the door per se, it's activating the enemies behind it so they open the one-way-door for you. Which can also be done by fighting things nearby. You just don't typically notice that the door the reinforcing ambush bastard is opening is one way. I have no clue why the forest door with the Life Ring doesn't have an encounter near the approach side like the rest of them.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 11, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One thing to note about that fight is how the giant just flips the gently caress out at you. Here's a creature that has been chained up for hundreds of years under an abandoned fortress, and it lashes out at the first person it sees, going so far as to mutilate itself just to kill this person.

There is of course a reason for this, one which won't be revealed for a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing to note about that fight is how the giant just flips the gently caress out at you. Here's a creature that has been chained up for hundreds of years under an abandoned fortress, and it lashes out at the first person it sees, going so far as to mutilate itself just to kill this person.

There is of course a reason for this, one which won't be revealed for a very long time.

One thing that I noticed this time that I didn't notice previous times is that the dude is straight up impaled through the chest with a giant rear end piece of rubble. drat.

• Locked thread