Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

SeXReX posted:

I think this record jacket would make a pretty neat wall clock.

What does Kenny Loggins have to do with exotica?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I recently moved into a new place and need to downsize my furniture. Used to have a separate table for the player and equipment and the records but now looking to get something for both. Any recommendations?

I have like 200+ records at this point so prolly need something sizeable

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Gravel Gravy posted:

So I recently moved into a new place and need to downsize my furniture. Used to have a separate table for the player and equipment and the records but now looking to get something for both. Any recommendations?

I have like 200+ records at this point so prolly need something sizeable

Kallax holds about 300 records.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/40275813/

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

The scene from High fidelity where Jack Black's character refuses to sell the goon the record he wants, but then sells it to the record store regular that he likes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOwjVVSNOtY

What always bothered me is he has whipped cream and other delights in his hand, but knows enough to offer $40 for Safe As Milk. That guy either already has whipped cream or will never buy it. I am unable to suspend my disbelief at this oversight.

I special ordered Phosphorescent Harvest by the Chris Robinson Brotherhood. Came in this weekend on some nice trippy colored vinyl with a bonus 45 in the sleeve I wasn't expecting. Really well-done package.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I dunno, it took me quite a while to finally buy a copy of Whipped Cream, I already had a couple hundred records when I got it.

It's really not a bad record!

The thing that upsets me the most about High Fidelity is how quickly Wicker Park devolved into yuppie stroller hell.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
What is it with record dealers who price things ludicrously high? There's one guy at a flea market I go to who has a fantastic selection of records but everything is priced either two to three times what it's worth or he actually just adds a zero on the the end of the value of the record to arrive at a price. I'm just completely baffled. It's like he doesn't want to actually sell anything.

Here's some examples of his prices:
First two B-52s albums - $50 each
Joy Division - Les Bains Douces vol. 2 -$300
New Order - Blue Monday 12' - $70

This is just a few I can remember but all of his prices are this ridiculous.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I remember seeing this guy on eBay who sold all his poo poo at beyond ridiculous prices. Like, 200 dollars for Journey and Foreigner.

But then I saw he sold a Boston album for 200 dollars and I figure, if he's able to make one of those sales every so often, it's better than trying to sell it for the actual value.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Senator Giroux posted:

I remember seeing this guy on eBay who sold all his poo poo at beyond ridiculous prices. Like, 200 dollars for Journey and Foreigner.

But then I saw he sold a Boston album for 200 dollars and I figure, if he's able to make one of those sales every so often, it's better than trying to sell it for the actual value.

That sounds like a guy in on---or at least selling to---the White Hot Stamper cult.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

That sounds like a guy in on---or at least selling to---the White Hot Stamper cult.

How exactly do I take advantage of that whole scam? I'd be glad to take money from people dumb enough to pay high premiums for copies of poo poo like Glass Houses or Born in the USA.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

How exactly do I take advantage of that whole scam? I'd be glad to take money from people dumb enough to pay high premiums for copies of poo poo like Glass Houses or Born in the USA.

loving wish I knew. I've got some prime 70s white people stuff I got when my girlfriend's father gave me all his records that I'm never going to listen to.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

JehovahsWetness posted:

Haacks are local buys, originally from a nearby school in VA (I think my copy of Dance to the Music is from there too). I bought the two Haacks and Shadow from a local record guy from his "randoms" bin at a hotel record show here. Skynyrd Street Survivor flames cover = $50, Bruce Haack = "i dunno, five bucks?"

Top right is McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath, south african expatriate jazz group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCBDExmB7Bo

lol there's a hotel record show here in roanoke too, i dont think they do it anymore though? or something? i dont know.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
So I post in here every time my band releases a record because I love records, and because I've gotten positive reinforcement in the past (and a couple of orders, no less), I want to share pics of our latest, out on 7/22. They came in the mail today and I just can't resist sharing:

This color configuration is limited and you can get it in the Vinyl Me, Please members store if any of y'all are members. Otherwise, the records are white.

If you're into art pop/smart pop/experimental pop/noisy pop, this may be your stuff. You can listen to the first single at this link: http://bit.ly/1UdEeWs
And grab a copy if you're into it at this link: http://bit.ly/1PgBO3L

Thanks for the support and encouragement over the years of releasing records/posting them here!

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

1000 umbrellas posted:

So I post in here every time my band releases a record because I love records, and because I've gotten positive reinforcement in the past (and a couple of orders, no less), I want to share pics of our latest, out on 7/22. They came in the mail today and I just can't resist sharing:

This color configuration is limited and you can get it in the Vinyl Me, Please members store if any of y'all are members. Otherwise, the records are white.

If you're into art pop/smart pop/experimental pop/noisy pop, this may be your stuff. You can listen to the first single at this link: http://bit.ly/1UdEeWs
And grab a copy if you're into it at this link: http://bit.ly/1PgBO3L

Thanks for the support and encouragement over the years of releasing records/posting them here!

Nice vulvic symbolism. Also ejaculate-colored vinyl. Good stuff.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
same i love vulvas

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Should have done a yellow center label for that fried egg look

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Any suggestions for sleek-looking, vibration-reducing speaker stands? I need a pair of stands to get my largish speakers off the ground, taking up as little space width-wise as possible. I have the KEF C series type SP3056.

Poppy Nogood fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 10, 2016

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I use the small version of these, and have been happy with them. https://amzn.com/B009NWX2WO

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Just saw that Cornelius' Fantasma just got reissued, been looking for that one for a while.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Hot Topic is phasing out its vinyl selection and everything is $12 in-store. My local store was mostly cleared out but I was able to get Led Zeppelin IV and Blink 182's Greatest Hits for $25 total (they were marked at $28 each). They had some represses, if y'all are feeling lucky you might be able to stock up on the Bowie re-releases or something similar.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Barry posted:

Just saw that Cornelius' Fantasma just got reissued, been looking for that one for a while.

I have an original pressing but I see this has "Ball In Kick Off" on it as a bonus track and now am very tempted to double dip.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CRINDY posted:

Hot Topic is phasing out its vinyl selection and everything is $12 in-store. My local store was mostly cleared out but I was able to get Led Zeppelin IV and Blink 182's Greatest Hits for $25 total (they were marked at $28 each). They had some represses, if y'all are feeling lucky you might be able to stock up on the Bowie re-releases or something similar.

But now where will I be able to get My Little Pony picture discs? :(

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I'm going to Philadelphia tomorrow for a few days, any shop recommendations?

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

CRINDY posted:

Wait, does this mean records aren't swick any more?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Schremp Howard posted:

I'm going to Philadelphia tomorrow for a few days, any shop recommendations?

Long in the Tooth
AKA
Repo

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

uncle spero posted:

Wait, does this mean records aren't swick any more?

It's always amusing when businesses think that a thing that's popular among people that like that thing is going to be popular with the general public, so they add a section of their store dedicated to that thing only to find out that nobody cares. As a guy who buys, and occasionally listens to, records I go to record stores or flea markets or online sellers. If I go into a Barnes & Noble or Hot Topic I'm not going there to buy records.

So records are just as popular with Record People, the general public is probably just losing what little interest they had after the trend died down.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

It's always amusing when businesses think that a thing that's popular among people that like that thing is going to be popular with the general public, so they add a section of their store dedicated to that thing only to find out that nobody cares. As a guy who buys, and occasionally listens to, records I go to record stores or flea markets or online sellers. If I go into a Barnes & Noble or Hot Topic I'm not going there to buy records.

So records are just as popular with Record People, the general public is probably just losing what little interest they had after the trend died down.

Shorting Crosley tomorrow when the market opens.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

If I go into a Barnes & Noble or Hot Topic I'm not going there to buy records.

Why not? Are you too good to pay a five to ten dollar markup on reissues of albums everyone already has?

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Why not? Are you too good to pay a five to ten dollar markup on reissues of albums everyone already has?

Eh they suckered me into the trippy color reissues of Workingman's Dead and the first Cars album. In my defense the Barnes and Noble is on the walk home from all our bars.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I was about to ask if Crosleys were really the pieces of poo poo everybody claims, and then I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Crosley-NP1-Replacement-Needle/dp/B0002FO2IO/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1465746527&sr=8-26&keywords=crosley+turntable

Fucker is like entirely plastic except for the "diamond" needle that's probably black ceramic. It looks like it would snap off if it hit the tiniest particle of dirt in a groove.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

The most common gripe about the crosleys I read is the heavy tracking force and no way to adjust it. There is some vid making the rounds of some industry exec complaining about how people trying out records for the first time buy a nice new record and have it sound like crap after 5 spins on their crosley.

Found this to be the case after my small study of one person/record player a couple years ago. They had bought a Crosley suitcase table and a half dozen 180 gram urban outfitters records. It looked very cute in their living room, but I put on their copy of Come Fly With me and it was in really rough shape, so there may be something to it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

King Vidiot posted:

Hot Topic was selling records when I got into this 15 years ago. So this isn't a thing they were doing to jump on a trend.

I imagine that because vinyl is more readily available, and Hot Topic is less and less and music, stocking records make less sense for them.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

uncle spero posted:

The most common gripe about the crosleys I read is the heavy tracking force and no way to adjust it. There is some vid making the rounds of some industry exec complaining about how people trying out records for the first time buy a nice new record and have it sound like crap after 5 spins on their crosley.

Found this to be the case after my small study of one person/record player a couple years ago. They had bought a Crosley suitcase table and a half dozen 180 gram urban outfitters records. It looked very cute in their living room, but I put on their copy of Come Fly With me and it was in really rough shape, so there may be something to it.

I looked it up and those things track at 5g :gonk:

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Cemetry Gator posted:

Hot Topic was selling records when I got into this 15 years ago. So this isn't a thing they were doing to jump on a trend.

I imagine that because vinyl is more readily available, and Hot Topic is less and less and music, stocking records make less sense for them.

More to the point no one buys records at Hot Topic because the $12 Zeppelin and Blink records were each $28 normally

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

hatelull posted:

What causes skipping/repetition?

I use one of these (inherited from deceased father-in-law) to play records. It generally sounds superb and is one of my most favorite things. However, I've found that the arm (a Shure SME 3009) is extremely picky and prone to needing adjustment after a move. Otherwise it sounds excellent. Lately, I've noticed some of my LP's skip at random times. I've made sure the record is dust/lint free, there's no scratches, and yet some of my records end up skipping or stuck in a particular section and I manually have to correct the arm to continue listening. As expected, this completely kills the mood. It doesn't happen to all the records (the majority of classical vinyl I inherited from him is mostly flawless, particularly the ffrr recordings) but it happens enough to irritate me.

Ideas?

Interesting quandry, OP, not sure of the answer myself but I think once the goons get their heads together we can solve it!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'd make fun but tbh I'd totally buy an LP that was just all the polka medleys compiled

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm definitely not going to buy an accordion-shaped box set, but I do wonder what sort of bonus tracks lurk on that last record, yeah.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is the 'Shazam this poster to learn more' thing a gag, or do they have things embedded in images now?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is the 'Shazam this poster to learn more' thing a gag, or do they have things embedded in images now?

They have their own QR type thingy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

I'm definitely not going to buy an accordion-shaped box set, but I do wonder what sort of bonus tracks lurk on that last record, yeah.

That's what I'm wondering about as well. My guess is it will be all b-sides and things previously released on Dr. Demento tapes, but there's also some completely unheard material and live recordings from the late 70s and early 80s that would be perfect for something like this. Back in 2004 some fan put together a 5-disc compilation of rarities and it was kind of surprising how much material there was.

I want to buy this set but I also don't want an accordion-shaped box in my collection. Also I'm sure it will be like $200 or something ridiculous.