Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Do the Chaos invasions end? I'm at the end of turn 113 and have soundly thumped the first wave with all the legendary lords but Sigvald is already back with a full stack. I'm playing as Vampires and ALLIED with the goddamn Empire now. They and Bretonnia are the 2nd and 3rd most powerful factions and I have to wipe them out before I can win. Worse still my northern border is now Kislev so I'm taking the heat from the invasions first.

Kholek also got dropped by a lone Ostmark witch hunter :lol:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

literally this big posted:

So how's the multiplayer for this game? Are the modes fun, and is it easy to get a game?

Also, if I'm about o get this game, what mods should I look into? Getting rid of RO and increasing AI complexity sound pretty good.

You may as well leave RO on for your first game or two and get a feel for the map gameplay they wanted. Then if you try RO later it will give you a nice comparison to see how it changes things.

I'm real interested to see the Better AI mods for Warhammer, since in this case it may actually improve things. And also increase turn times.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Do the Chaos invasions end? I'm at the end of turn 113 and have soundly thumped the first wave with all the legendary lords but Sigvald is already back with a full stack. I'm playing as Vampires and ALLIED with the goddamn Empire now. They and Bretonnia are the 2nd and 3rd most powerful factions and I have to wipe them out before I can win. Worse still my northern border is now Kislev so I'm taking the heat from the invasions first.

Kholek also got dropped by a lone Ostmark witchunter :lol:

Once Archaeon dies the first time I think it's a finite amount of reinforcement or a full stack was off somewhere you couldn't see and replaced their lord with Sigvald. There's a preference set on Archaeon, Kholek, and Sigvald if they can replace the generic lord leading the horde. Once you've killed off all the stacks you get a message about how it's over, no more chaos corruption mechanic and everyone goes back to hating each other.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Aurubin posted:

Once Archaeon dies the first time I think it's a finite amount of reinforcement or a full stack was off somewhere you couldn't see and replaced their lord with Sigvald. There's a preference set on Archaeon, Kholek, and Sigvald if they can replace the generic lord leading the horde. Once you've killed off all the stacks you get a message about how it's over, no more chaos corruption mechanic and everyone goes back to hating each other.

:drac:

Now if only I could kill this lone Varg sorcerer by save-scumming but nope your save stores the RNG. It's also nice that Bretonnia might start hating the Empire again so I can get them into a war on two fronts.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Kholek also got dropped by a lone Ostmark witchunter :lol:

Yeah Witch hunters in this game are almost all to a man incredible heroes who all have compelling character arcs.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Grondoth posted:

Yeah Witch hunters in this game are almost all to a man incredible heroes who all have compelling character arcs.

Nah, they're like Satlzpyre in vermintide, they love hunting down horrible monsters and murdering them.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Once the Warriors of Chaos are gone how tedious would it be to run through the north in raiding stance sack-razing so I never have to see another nordling again? Can't be worse than the three laps I had to do as Chaos.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Shumagorath posted:

Once the Warriors of Chaos are gone how tedious would it be to run through the north in raiding stance sack-razing so I never have to see another nordling again? Can't be worse than the three laps I had to do as Chaos.

If you have like 4+ armies who work as a giant wave of death it probably won't be that bad, especially as the orcs and dwarfs who can just underway everywhere.

It's best done as a giant wave where you are sanitizing everything in one solid move.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

:drac:

Now if only I could kill this lone Varg sorcerer by save-scumming but nope your save stores the RNG. It's also nice that Bretonnia might start hating the Empire again so I can get them into a war on two fronts.

Do something different and do things in a different order every time you save scum you'll get some new odds.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Do something different and do things in a different order every time you save scum you'll get some new odds.
Yeah I know that's how it's worked since at least FotS (I feel like Shogun 2 vanilla re-rolled) but I'm not that desperate.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

has anyone looted a Seed of Rebirth? supposedly it's a common talisman but I've only ever seen them on enemy leaders. Regen on a high level commander is pretty bonkers so it wouldn't surprise me if they made a passive regen item enemy-only

related: This fight is unwinnable because Thorgrim has a seed of rebirth and it's literally impossible for the garrison to kill or rout him, but I win if I click autoresolve :haw:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
My empire version of the tier 4 hit the most popular this week :toot:

Interesting it's still on that list because it hasn't existed for nearly 6 hours

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

has anyone looted a Seed of Rebirth?

I got one. Once. Common, my rear end.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

has anyone looted a Seed of Rebirth? supposedly it's a common talisman but I've only ever seen them on enemy leaders. Regen on a high level commander is pretty bonkers so it wouldn't surprise me if they made a passive regen item enemy-only

related: This fight is unwinnable because Thorgrim has a seed of rebirth and it's literally impossible for the garrison to kill or rout him, but I win if I click autoresolve :haw:

I've gotten a couple Seeds of Rebirth, yeah.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Having trouble getting a empire game off the ground on very hard, 10 turns in and dwarves/orcs are taking turns razing my starting province and I have no less then 5 full enemy stacks on every side because everyone started with imperial distrust and they are just marching across eachothers territory to get a piece of me.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Flavahbeast posted:

Would the regen from Sigvald's Auric Armor and a Seed of Rebirth stack? If so, I can't imagine what could kill him short of massed steam tank volleys.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

William Bear posted:

Would the regen from Sigvald's Auric Armor and a Seed of Rebirth stack? If so, I can't imagine what could kill him short of massed steam tank volleys.
Maybe chain-casting Spirit Leech?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Alright, I'm alone all weekend, I've already got the full Lord of the Rings series ready to go, looking to do a 1st playthrough of anything not VC... so orcs, dwarves, chaso, orhumans... so hard to choose.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is there a way to march faster in the mountains or tundra? Warring against the Dwarves as VC and it's obnoxious how slow my armies move through the mountains while they can tunnel through my troops to attack my home provinces.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Anybody else notice the references to the Skaven sprinkled in? Grimgor makes a speech referencing his time killing "ratmen" at karak eight peaks. The disappearing population event has been noted. But I got a rare weapon drop, the description said it was forged at eight peaks and is good at killing "grobi and vermin alike."

Does this mean The Best Faction will be coming soon? I hope so. The only other factions I've seen mentioned ingame are the elves and the chaos dwarfs

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's all but a guarantee that they'll be coming at SOME point. The game's set around rolling into End Times, it'd be more ridiculous if they didn't add them.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

Does this mean The Best Faction will be coming soon? I hope so. The only other factions I've seen mentioned ingame are the elves and the chaos dwarfs

CA have stated that they will add every army that has a current army book as a playable race. So yes, barring the company collapsing or some similar catastrophe, there will be lizardmen eventually. And Skaven too, I guess.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just finished Empire run. Bloody Amazing. Cleansed the land of all Norsca, Vampires and Greenskin before. A pain in the rear end but was so much fun after learning how to effectively counter the drat horse marauders. Time to do Azhag and finish Orc. I really wish there was sa way to take over a city and grant it to another nation. Friendly AI tend to build their cities short bus style and it would be a nice and very friendly gesture to say "here is this city I built... please have it and love me. " Also "be stronger and be my wonderful wall of protection against another nation pretty please. " I am very gay for Kislev and would like to rebuild their Empire and NOT take it over or have some random nation rebuild the ruin and add crap that lets Chaos take it over a few turns later. Just let me build the shiny wonderful city and use it please. I have yet to save that dwarf city on the top. They got steamrolled hard both times. Well before I met them. Only know about them from the Kislev mod.

Time to win it with Azhag and hopefully get the bloody crown before midgame.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

unwantedplatypus posted:

Anybody else notice the references to the Skaven sprinkled in? Grimgor makes a speech referencing his time killing "ratmen" at karak eight peaks. The disappearing population event has been noted. But I got a rare weapon drop, the description said it was forged at eight peaks and is good at killing "grobi and vermin alike."

It may just be fluff, Karak Eight-Peaks is a notorious 4-way shitfest of Dwarfs, Orcs, Skaven, and stupid treasure hunters that come in via the Dwarf-held upper city.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Von_Doom posted:

A pain in the rear end but was so much fun after learning how to effectively counter the drat horse marauders.
Shitloads of crossbows?

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Chomp8645 posted:

He's taking about the about the actual calculations behind the results of an auto-resolve battle. Zero of the things you listed are relevant to that.

Read his post again, it's more interesting than that.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Decus posted:

They're inf_mel only instead of having their HP divided among lots of mens they're just one man.

Yeah, it's super easy to alter those values. I set it to 15 and 450 and turn times increased pretty greatly by end-game, probably at least 30 seconds.

There are several variables across quite a few tables all about making decisions to conquer/sack/raze/occupy. Guessing you could just cross-check the values with Attila or Rome 2? It's very possible that they made the AI more aggressive with heading out to sack/raze but once the mod also let them occupy they took the chance to do so. I don't think I'd use Conquer Anywhere for single player but it's great for co-op.

Taxes, doing diplomacy things and merging/recruiting troops also fall under "things to consider" as well and are done before moving armies. Yep, turn just ends if they hit their cap.

I'm still tweaking numbers with mine but I think there is actually a mod on the workshop that had a similar idea only instead of adding a new unit class it just changed all of the monsters into the unused "elephant" class and added appropriate "everything does less damage to this thing" modifiers.

edit: vvv harder difficulties do give you leadership penalties, very hard is -5 and I forget what legendary was since it's not in the database and I forgot what I hovered. It's really dumb--I prefer just giving the AI more leadership instead of also nerfing your player units.
I'd be interested in trying this - both the tweaked auto resolve and the more generous AI turns. Are you planning to publish the mod?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

unwantedplatypus posted:

Kemmler also mentions something about ratmen and their warpstone in one of his quest battles. Skaven are pretty significantly present in the background.

I also just ran into Dark Elves. As Empire, I got an event about dark raiders sailing humongous ships and taking slaves in coastal provinces.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Kemmler also mentions something about ratmen and their warpstone in one of his quest battles. Skaven are pretty significantly present in the background.

I also just ran into Dark Elves. As Empire, I got an event about dark raiders sailing humongous ships and taking slaves in coastal provinces.

There's also a Beastmen reference about brayherds stampeding through the forests.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
What's the criteria for getting magic items in campaign? In my Greenskins playthrough I was getting magic items seemingly every second battle. I'm on turn 90 in my Empire playthrough and I have a total of 3!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

kemmler's quest for the staff references them as well

it is noticeable how much they sprinkle them in; I've seen a few elf references, and haven't seen anything pertaining to ogres, beastmen, tomb kings, or other peoples. CA is obviously aware which faction is the best and I'm going to guess whatever expansion they're in will be a bit focused on them while also including the less hyped races that wouldn't carry an expansion on their own.

I'm guessing that the one expansion will push west and south and include ogres, chaos dwarves, demons of chaos, tomb kings, and skaven to sell it. the other will be vanilla, chocolate, and mint elves, beastmen, lizardmen, and a naval component as the centerpiece feature. pure speculation.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Your dark elf comment reminded me that I got a couple followers that reduce attrition on the deep sea
Of which, im sure there is some on the map, but none ive run into getting anywhere including coastal raiding the norscan tribes.

93 turns into Empire on my first normal game. The only noticeable and impactful difference so far is greater casualties for auto-resolve. Specifically, my Lords are getting absolutely hosed by auto resolve, like I can only auto resolve two battles max before i need to sit Gelt on a city to heal.
Tactical combat wise, I have noticed no difference other than slightly faster battles due to increased routing.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
OK I am about to sound real real stupid, probably because I am, but I don't get what "checkerboarding" is, I saw the picture in the OP but I can't really tell what's going on in it, and I just started a Dwarfs campaign so I imagine it would be useful?

I know it has to do with Thunderers and Quarrelers, that's about all I got.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MC2552John posted:

OK I am about to sound real real stupid, probably because I am, but I don't get what "checkerboarding" is, I saw the picture in the OP but I can't really tell what's going on in it, and I just started a Dwarfs campaign so I imagine it would be useful?

Basically you leave gaps in your frontline that your gunners can shoot through, that's all. Enemy melee infantry will still generally go for your melee frontline even then. Your melee blocks will usually get enveloped some by broader enemy lines, but that just allows your thunderers or whatever to freely shoot into their flanks. This most useful with Thunderers, cannons, and other ranged units with a flat trajectory that can't just shoot over your own guys, but it's still useful even with Quarrelers because they can keep shooting for longer.

Here's a lovely diagram:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 11, 2016

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
gently caress the Norscans and their ability to poo poo out innumerable full stacks that waltz past your armies and sack cities. I feel like they need some kind of change, like making them into smaller individual tribes, toning down their income, or making sacking take longer than one turn if the city is built up. I've defeated Chaos, wiped out the vampire counts and all but beat the game as Empire but have to hold off conquering the last few provinces to play marauder whack-a-mole.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Banshees are loving nuts on the battlefield. I had two of them holding off four units of dwarves on a wall while my Grave Guard came up from behind to ruin their day. They amassed nearly 300 kills between them.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Pipski posted:

This should be added to the FAQs in the OP. I don't remember the game even mentioning it.

ZenVulgarity posted:

It doesn't iirc otherwise I wouldn't have asked here

It's.... it's in the OP and always has been? :psyduck:

shalcar posted:

How do I get my units to move in formation?
Click the lock button with a group selected in order to lock their relative positions to each other or create a pre-locked group with Ctrl-G.

How do I get my units to not all attack the same unit when I order an attack with multiple units selected?
Hold Alt when right clicking your attack order with a group selected and the computer will select "sensible" targets (ie. spread out the attack along the line instead of all on the unit you clicked on).

On another note, does anyone know what the differences between Very Hard and Legendary are? Historically the only difference between the two has been that Legendary enforces Ironman, doesn't let you use the minimap or issue orders while not on normal speed but all the actual modifiers have been the same as VH. Is that still the case?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

kemmler's quest for the staff references them as well

it is noticeable how much they sprinkle them in; I've seen a few elf references, and haven't seen anything pertaining to ogres, beastmen, tomb kings, or other peoples. CA is obviously aware which faction is the best and I'm going to guess whatever expansion they're in will be a bit focused on them while also including the less hyped races that wouldn't carry an expansion on their own.

It might also be that there's another pretty successful recent videogame that features the Skaven as the main antagonists and they want to capitalize on that exposure.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

MC2552John posted:

Not to one up the previous poster, but here's some in game screens. I took five minutes to toss an army up in custom battle.
it's 3 shield/spears, 2 swordsmen, three greatswords, 2 cannons, 2 riflemen, and 4 Knights.
Imho it's not a great composition. The greatswords are a bit redundant, but that's more to demonstrate that you don't need ranged to use the checkerboard formation for fun and profit.

Top down without unit highlights.

With highlights.

The general idea is to give yourself a place to fire with gunpowder and fire units since they have no firing arc to shoot over allies without a hill. The AI will try to envelop your line troops which will expose their flanks to your ranged units.
You can essentially replace the ranged units with heavy hitters or various cavalry for similar effect, which is closer to the original use of the Roman formation.
The infantry in the middle can be whatever you want, here I have greatswords, so assume I'm facing dwarves with this much armor piercing. You can use them to protect your ranged units, fill in lines, flank, or just sit there and be chearleaders.

Bonus pictures showing how i suck at making straight formations.
Front

Back

Pretty profile view

Bonus: Alternative formation options the Romans used if you're feeling historical and sassy.

Personally i wonder if Cannae Tactic would be a good option for utilizing Goblins in an Orc army.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

shalcar posted:

It's.... it's in the OP and always has been? :psyduck:

Man ive been trying to do the Alt+right click enemy armies for ages now and i just couldn't seem to get it to work so i ignored it. Finally figured it out in a custom battle. You gotta have the group locked with the little lock icon when you hold Alt+right click enemy or your units will still just congegrate on one target.

Thats cool, i mean ive just spent.... 160 hours on this game before i figured it out..

160 hours.. :negative:

• Locked thread