Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I might be wrong, my memory isn't what it was, but I'm fairly sure I just loving told you why. We both did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Meatsicle posted:

Guess you missed the part where I said I just cleared my save. It's more about players being a lot more fun and engaging than NPCs. This game is far too shallow to be played without other people and I seriously question how anyone can really have fun playing Elite solo past like 15 hours or so.

That's exactly why private groups exist, and why players can switch modes whenever they please.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

That's exactly why private groups exist, and why players can switch modes whenever they please.

Or you could just switch to your open character when you want some interaction. Removing the option to game the game by hopping between modes doesn't remove the option to play in any mode you wish.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
This is one game where clearing your save could absolutely make things more enjoyable. There's not really a huge difference in the gameplay between starting out and being rich as gently caress, you don't have to grind to unlock some endgame where all the real fun is. Why not reset and try something different if that's what you feel like doing?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
That is true, I would regularly start over in Escape Velocity even if I had a weeks old save and conquered every station on the map. The main goal of E:D though is to get to 3x Elite I thought.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

:agreed:

At the end of the day, what can you do in an anaconda? Shoot lasers at a man? Carry 100 cargo instead of 10?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

When the last season of E:D content is done and dusted, Braben will do a server reset so everyone can enjoy the whole game again.

I'll be over reading the Frontier forums and lolling.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

When the last season of E:D content is done and dusted, Braben will do a server reset so everyone can enjoy the whole game again.

I'll be over reading the Frontier forums and lolling.

It will be beautiful.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Meatsicle posted:

Or you could just switch to your open character when you want some interaction. Removing the option to game the game by hopping between modes doesn't remove the option to play in any mode you wish.

In other words, there's no reason to remove it, since it's all just the same.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Meatsicle posted:

Or you could stop trying to limit other people's enjoyment of the game because you don't like thing.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

In other words, there's no reason to remove it, since it's all just the same.

Reading comprehension is hard to come by these days.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Meatsicle posted:

Reading comprehension is hard to come by these days.

If it doesn't remove the option to play in any mode you like, there's no reason to remove the option by implementing that change. Simples.

You're asking for something that serves no purpose; solves no problems; and makes no sense.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

If it doesn't remove the option to play in any mode you like, there's no reason to remove the option by implementing that change. Simples.

You're asking for something that serves no purpose; solves no problems; and makes no sense.

You can't see why seamlessly switching between open and solo in a persistent universe might be a problem? It's not a hard thing to comprehend. You can disagree with me because you like the feature and that's fine, but to say the argument makes no sense ...makes no sense.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Meatsicle posted:

You can't see why seamlessly switching between open and solo in a persistent universe might be a problem?

Nope. An instance is an instance is an instance. And E:D isn't particularly persistent anyway, so there's even less of a problem even if there is one to begin with, which, due to the instancing, there isn't.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

Nope. An instance is an instance is an instance. And E:D isn't particularly persistent anyway, so there's even less of a problem even if there is one to begin with, which, due to the instancing, there isn't.

Plenty of MMOs are instanced so that's a weak argument.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Meatsicle posted:

Plenty of MMOs are instanced so that's a weak argument.

…so apparently, whatever the problem is supposed to be, it is not and would not actually be a problem regardless, even if E:D had a persistent world or was an MMO.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 11, 2016

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

…so apparently, whatever the problem is supposed to be, it is not and would not actually be a problem regardless, even if E:D had a persistent world or was an MMO.

You're brutal.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Meatsicle posted:

You're brutal.

Why thank you.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What loving system do you think is being gamed?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Can we please just leave the Solo vs Open debate to the brown sea? It's a dumb discussion and nothing we write about it in this thread will make a shred of difference to Frontier.

I had some fun in a Vulture today, 1.4 million in bounties after about an hour in a RES just derping around.

Tried a HazRES for a bit too, but didn't really achieve much.

Having a Mining ASP and a ratting Vulture in the same area makes for some different gameplay, so it doesn't get boring. Ratted / Mined up something like 25 mil the last few weeks just going in for a few hours when I felt like it.

Also some VR talk: I have the distinct feeling that I play better with the rift CV1 than without, even with TrackIR ... the sense of scale is just right, and stuff like docking/landing is just so intuitive compared to playing on a regular monitor. Not to mention the freedom to look around when shooting bads in a RES. Anyone else had the same experience?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Dabir posted:

What loving system do you think is being gamed?

the system of not curbstomping 'the pubbies :D'

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think there is just a fundamental misunderstanding of what "instancing" actually means when people think you can just toss everyone into the same place at the same time.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
This has got to be an example of Poe's law. Surely no-one is really that dense.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DreadLlama posted:

This has got to be an example of Poe's law. Surely no-one is really that dense.

You know it in your heart of hearts that ol' fleshchill is def. unironic and true posting.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I just want to say, bookmarks are the best idea Frontier had in a long time. Yesterday I had just decided to continue to my first waypoint on my galactic crusade and then turn back to get some engineer upgrades. And you know what I learned when I reached the Spiral Nebula? I had already been here and explored the star at its center. :shepface:

This was kind of embarrassing. Thank god I can now just bookmark important targets, next time I'm planning a new exploration voyage, I can just look up my bookmarks and avoid putting in waypoints I've already visited.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Libluini posted:

I just want to say, bookmarks are the best idea Frontier had in a long time.

Absolutely.

Is there a guide for which engineer upgrades are most worthwhile for the different roles, like explorer and combat, and what you need and where from, all in one easy grind guide? I have about 10 browser tabs open on different things at the moment (and some of the giant Google doc spreadsheets really make my browser sad.)

(Or am I asking too soon after release and should just wait until someone makes a fancy website like we have for ship fitting, commodities etc?)

quote:

Open/private/solo

I'm glad that non-open exists or I'd never be able to take part in any CGs without being "helped" toward the insurance rebuy screen.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

legooolas posted:

Absolutely.

Is there a guide for which engineer upgrades are most worthwhile for the different roles, like explorer and combat, and what you need and where from, all in one easy grind guide? I have about 10 browser tabs open on different things at the moment (and some of the giant Google doc spreadsheets really make my browser sad.)

(Or am I asking too soon after release and should just wait until someone makes a fancy website like we have for ship fitting, commodities etc?)

It's not really a grid or much of a role guide, but http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers seems to be the comprehensive go-to place for that kind of information. It lets you browse the known blueprints, check what materials are needed for each one and which known engineer has it available as well as the ways to find that engineer. It also conveniently lists common locations to find the materials you need for your upgrades.

Figuring out what you want isn't all that hard: for an explorer, you want longer FSD range and lower mass (but the latter is usually better done by just not fitting a module at all rather than fitting a low-mass one); if you want to run a disco, you probably want something that makes your pulse laser pulse better. It's all to taste, really.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 11, 2016

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
I knew goons were soft (and pudgy), but I didn't expect you all to be literally shaking over meeting big bad space men in your space games.

scrubs itt

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Meatsicle posted:

I knew goons were soft (and pudgy), but I didn't expect you all to be literally shaking over meeting big bad space men in your space games.

scrubs itt
That's good psychology - why don't you just say something bad about our mothers? :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Meatsicle posted:

Says the man who's so furious at the thought that someone is in a different instance than he is that he can't even articulate what he's being furious about or why it is in any way, shape, or form anything that could even remotely be construed as a problem.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Meatsicle posted:

scrubs itt

OK that's it I'm logging into open right now to hunt you down for this insult! 1vs1 at the sun!

Right after I fill out this government form I keep putting off because it's so tedious! And after I copy all those other documents I need for verification! Just you wait, scum! Only a few hours left in your space life! I will reduce you to space dust! Consider this my space mutiny!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Meatsicle posted:

scrubs itt

:salt::allears:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Meatsicle posted:

scrubs itt

Nice meltdown.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
The main thing that bums me out in the solo/open is the player group bgs fighting and the PP fights.

It would be really cool to need to patrol our system for asshats that are attacking us and blockade our stations. It would also require wings for protection, which would give a new role for both fighters and wings.

I understand instancing won't guarantee running into the enemy, but at least their hats in the ring.

Never going to happen though, so even I will play in solo if loving around in an enemy system.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Snaxx posted:

It would be really cool to need to patrol our system for asshats that are attacking us and blockade our stations. It would also require wings for protection, which would give a new role for both fighters and wings.

I understand instancing won't guarantee running into the enemy, but at least their hats in the ring.

These are all things that super happen in Open, even though there's no mechanic for it. You can't actually drive someone out since they can just go to Solo, but patrolling as space cop and trying to blockade stations was at least half of what I did when I was playing. The fact that your targets have so many options for escaping makes it really fun, actually; if you haven't gotten some friends together for it, I highly recommend it.

And yes, instancing is a huge millstone, but for now there's not enough infrastructure in place to change it much. In the past people could mode flip to hopefully get an instance that didn't have your patrol in it, and at least it sounds like that's gone!

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
People who would really like for Elite to be EVE-in-cockpits are upset because they anticipate that a rival space guild can come kick over the sandcastle and there's nothing to stop them.

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
I would recommend that anyone looking for the eve-in-cockpits experience just play eve with us instead... it is much less frustrating than bitching about a game not being what we want because ED was never meant to be that game and never will. It is fundamentally not an mmo and will never be.

Also, SC just pushed alpha 2.4 to stable and it is freaking awesome. I would also recommend anyone looking for that eve-in-cockpits experience to quit shitposting about ED and enjoy games that are designed to actually make sense.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Fishreds99 posted:

Also, SC just pushed alpha 2.4 to stable and it is freaking awesome. I would also recommend anyone looking for that eve-in-cockpits experience to quit shitposting about ED and enjoy games that are designed to actually make sense.

…so, that would just be EVE again, then, but with the first-person camera active?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Fishreds99 posted:

Also, SC just pushed alpha 2.4 to stable and it is freaking awesome.
Are you on drugs?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

tooterfish posted:

Are you on drugs?!?

To be fair, the increasingly horrible mess with every new attempt at a release, combined with the laughable new “gently caress you; got mine, we out sukkaz!”-EULA is freaking awesome. Best comedy of the year.

• Locked thread