Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Lord Tywin posted:

So I have finally starting to eat properly again and jesus christ what a difference it makes. I don't feel like a weakass baby anymore.

im going to attempt this this weekend. The lovely thing is I'm a gay irresponsible baby, have been my whole life, so I get overwhelmed because I don't even know what to get. Is there anything wrong with say, getting a ton of some pork shoulders, beef roasts, chicken breasts, taters, etc and make friends with my crock pot? I suppose I need veggies. I like spinach so I guess I can get some salad stuff.

Really with me, my overall calories are okay and I can hit my protein goals alright, I just need real food. I've been living on beer, vending machines, microwavable stuff and fast food or take out if I have the money the past year.

e: trip report. was off work today, went to gym. Had literally no knee issues, worked up to 155 lbs on my squats, and even did a couple extra sets because it was piss easy. Perhaps there isn't really anything wrong and my body just dislikes being made to lift weight after working my rear end off.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Learn to cook one thing and make it a lot. Once your gay little cooking anxiety passes learn to cook one more thing. Etc

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
yeah. it's not really cooking axiety, i actually like cooking. It's why I mentioned the crock pot thing, I used to make pulled pork a lot because it was tasty. Its a managing what little free time I have anxiety on top of not really knowing what I'm doing thing. I suppose I can start browsing goons with spoons, I"m sure Ill learn.

Also as far as dumbell bench press I mentioned earlier, I think I just was unfamiliar with it. I bumped up to 40 lb dumbells today and it felt easier than the 35s before. I do a starting strength/5x5 style of alternating BP and OHP days and I've started doing 3 sets of 8 of dumbell bench after my OHP to help out. So far it seems to be working pretty good.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Just make sure you have proper form, and it'll be easier. 30 something year old short black guy asked me to spot 135 BB bench the other day, and his form was terrible and I wanted to say something so loving bad, but didn't want to be that dude. He said he had MS and was working to get his strength up after his last flare up. He didn't have collars on the bar and kept a really narrow grip with his shoulders rolling forward, back not planted at all. He went for 20 reps in one set and the bar was teeter tottering the whole time hardcore.

gently caress. Painfully awkward.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I think my bench press form is pretty on point, at least barbell bench. The dumbbells obviously feel a little weirder, like it's harder to keep my shoulder blades retracted back or something. I think it's because I have to roll back when I'm sitting with the dumbbells on my thighs to get into position

El Duderino
Mar 28, 2003

If you're not into that whole brevity thing..
Question for you seasoned lifters. How much bigger are your bench lifts when using a barbell as apposed to db?

I had some gnarly tendinitis in my elbow, and an old shoulder injury, and barbell would really make me sore. So for the last year I've been sticking to just dumbell flat and incline, and really happy with my body not making GBS threads the bed. I'm 3x8 db flat 90s, 85 to 80 incline and sort of curious, if my body didn't suck if this is getting close to 2 plate flat bench for reps territory.

I'm sure it can really vary by person, but just wondering what you goons are seeing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
dumbbells are great and in my opinion are just as good as barbell benching except it is harder since you have to stabilize more

Dumbbells own and it owns to be able to pick up the really heavy ones and press them while all the babbies around you can't

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
My dumbbell press are my favs 85 to 90nis were im at and for me its easier more comfortable than my BB bench.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Isolated dumbbell press is cool because you get to feel up your chest and imagine what it will be like when a girl finally touches it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

exquisite tea posted:

Isolated dumbbell press is cool because you get to feel up your chest and imagine what it will be like when a girl finally touches it.

Don't forget to sit on your hand first.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yes "girls"

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I squatted 325 x 5 today and felt like a beast until this beautiful female powerlifter came in with her bucket of chalk and literally pegged me.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Booties posted:

I squatted 325 x 5 today and felt like a beast until this beautiful female powerlifter came in with her bucket of chalk and literally pegged me.

can i get a referral

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!

Booties posted:

I think she claimed you. Congrats!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I find a healthy case of bacne is a good way of keeping female powerlifters from jumping on you.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
He doesn't fit in regulation size hallways

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i am v sore today

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It looks like his skeleton has completely disconnected

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

So what kind of shoes does everyone squat/deadlift in? I've been using some chuck style slip ons for awhile that are falling apart, or just barefoot. Not really happy with the traction and support I get with either route.

Also, shorts? Been wearing some baggy basketball style stuff and I'm tired of it bunching up on the bar during deadlifts. Really need to upgrade my gym attire something fierce.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Say Nothing posted:

I find a healthy case of bacne is a good way of keeping female powerlifters from jumping on you.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Constipated posted:

So what kind of shoes does everyone squat/deadlift in? I've been using some chuck style slip ons for awhile that are falling apart, or just barefoot. Not really happy with the traction and support I get with either route.

Also, shorts? Been wearing some baggy basketball style stuff and I'm tired of it bunching up on the bar during deadlifts. Really need to upgrade my gym attire something fierce.

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE THE CROSSFIT BRANDED APPAREL AND FOOTWARE

also rugby shorts are cheap+good

or just buy new chucks and smaller shorts

crossfit tr lites are great flat shoes

Greg Nuckols squats 700 in WalMart slipons

skimothy milkerson fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 12, 2016

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Lol. Rugby shorts look good, think I'll order a pair or two of those and wear some compression shorts underneath.

I think I'm done with chucks, I've never had a pair that felt like they really fit. Always have issues with my toes having too much room to move around. Do you mean the reebok crossfit lites? If so, those look cool. I think I remember seeing people talk about adidas adipower's, anyone have experience with those? Pretty expensive but reviews online are pretty good.

Walmart is where I got my slip ons, I would totally get another pair but the ones I keep seeing at the 2 closest Walmarts are a different design thats just not as good as the ones I got some years back. :(

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Just lift barefoot, Milo of Croton didn't need branded poo poo and neither do you

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

El Duderino posted:

Question for you seasoned lifters. How much bigger are your bench lifts when using a barbell as apposed to db?

I had some gnarly tendinitis in my elbow, and an old shoulder injury, and barbell would really make me sore. So for the last year I've been sticking to just dumbell flat and incline, and really happy with my body not making GBS threads the bed. I'm 3x8 db flat 90s, 85 to 80 incline and sort of curious, if my body didn't suck if this is getting close to 2 plate flat bench for reps territory.

I'm sure it can really vary by person, but just wondering what you goons are seeing.

You should be able to rep 2 plates. May take a week or two to get your body used to the different lift if you haven't bb benched in a while.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Lol @ caring about gym attire.

It's called a t-shirt and athletic shorts. Commando, always.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Constipated posted:

shoes?

where we're going we won't need shoes

(get a better gym where you can no-shoe your squats/deads)

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Adidas classic Sambas are fairly flat but offer good support and traction. Then again I do pretty much everything in Sambas because I'm weird and think they're the best shoe that has ever existed.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Constipated posted:

Lol. Rugby shorts look good, think I'll order a pair or two of those and wear some compression shorts underneath.

I think I'm done with chucks, I've never had a pair that felt like they really fit. Always have issues with my toes having too much room to move around. Do you mean the reebok crossfit lites? If so, those look cool. I think I remember seeing people talk about adidas adipower's, anyone have experience with those? Pretty expensive but reviews online are pretty good.

Walmart is where I got my slip ons, I would totally get another pair but the ones I keep seeing at the 2 closest Walmarts are a different design thats just not as good as the ones I got some years back. :(

Whichever shoes are the high-tops that look like chucks. Mark Bell and Jesse Burdick helped develop them for the powerlifts and they're very very nice. Word on the street is that at least one iteration of the Adipowers didn't/don't have 100% incompressible soles but it probably doesn't matter. The Reebok crossfit Oly shoes are nice because they have flexible forefoots for running and jumps and stuff.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Chinatown posted:

Lol @ caring about gym attire.

It's called a t-shirt and athletic shorts. Commando, always.

look good feel good
feel good lift good
lift good get lunk alarmed

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Skim Milk posted:

Whichever shoes are the high-tops that look like chucks. Mark Bell and Jesse Burdick helped develop them for the powerlifts and they're very very nice. Word on the street is that at least one iteration of the Adipowers didn't/don't have 100% incompressible soles but it probably doesn't matter. The Reebok crossfit Oly shoes are nice because they have flexible forefoots for running and jumps and stuff.

Only issue I have had with those high tops is they NEVER loving DRY OUT AND MAKE YOUR GET STINK TO HIGH HELL. Unless you only use them like once a week but then wtf is the point. Not buying 6 pairs to rotate when others dry out fine

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

sassassin posted:

look good feel good
feel good lift good
lift good get lunk alarmed

My gym is pretty good except for having a slick as poo poo deadlift platform. My only other options are 24 hour fitness type places with no free weights of any kind or Planet Fitness. So yeah, staying where I'm at.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
lift nude, duh

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i did baby's first grocery shopping trip(well not literally) for food. Here is what I got:

Boston Butt to slow cook in the crock pot(although i forgot the vinegar and marinade to go with it)
Chicken breasts
turkey keilbasa
rice
soups and crackers
sandwich poo poo (wheat bread)
tuna
chinese food from the chinese place next door because why not i can eat on it like 3 times for 8 dollars

and other poo poo i'm drawing a blank on right now. i hope all this stuff is considered decently healthy, at least for getting a jump start from eating fast food and microwavables the past year. I just noticed veggies are missing, the soups i got have em in there, other than getting a lot of sodium they are still legit, right? I also order spinach salads from subway a time or two a week, so i'll continue doing that at least since my veggie intake is still low.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Constipated posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTr2cAGvHV4&t=565s
(9:25 if the video doesn't start there for you.)

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I just noticed veggies are missing, the soups i got have em in there, other than getting a lot of sodium they are still legit, right? I also order spinach salads from subway a time or two a week, so i'll continue doing that at least since my veggie intake is still low.

Here's a useful infographic on how to cook a number of different vegetables. You should try to try them all with the understanding that you'll like some and you'll hate some and that's the most normal thing in the world. I'd try 'roasting' veggies first. Toss-with/Mix-with/Brush-on a little oil (I like peanut - inexpensive, easy to cook with, very light flavor) and put into an oven on a cookie sheet/flat pan at 375-400F. Lightly salt and eat.

For particulars, search on the veggie and method: "roast broccoli" or "roast zucchini"

Also useful:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i did baby's first grocery shopping trip(well not literally) for food. Here is what I got:

Boston Butt to slow cook in the crock pot(although i forgot the vinegar and marinade to go with it)
Chicken breasts
turkey keilbasa
rice
soups and crackers
sandwich poo poo (wheat bread)
tuna
chinese food from the chinese place next door because why not i can eat on it like 3 times for 8 dollars

and other poo poo i'm drawing a blank on right now. i hope all this stuff is considered decently healthy, at least for getting a jump start from eating fast food and microwavables the past year. I just noticed veggies are missing, the soups i got have em in there, other than getting a lot of sodium they are still legit, right? I also order spinach salads from subway a time or two a week, so i'll continue doing that at least since my veggie intake is still low.

if an 8 dollar lunch special from a chinese place lasts you 3 meals you aint eating enough

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Profondo Rosso posted:

if an 8 dollar lunch special from a chinese place lasts you 3 meals you aint eating enough

i eat a good bit, i'm the type to maybe eat 1 large meal, and snack on and off. I just meant it's a good deal of calories for the money, compared to fast food and poo poo.

e: although i will probably need to eat a bit more to fill the void of calories the alcohol left. right now i'm about 193ish at 6'1, and honestly a good chunk of that is belly fat. i'm not sure if i should continue to maintain this weight(but swapping to better foods) and lift, or let my body lose the beer gut for a couple months and then bulk up from there(while still continuing to lift of course)

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 13, 2016

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Zahgaegun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTr2cAGvHV4&t=565s
(9:25 if the video doesn't start there for you.)

Hahaha that is awesome, I'm down for some booty shorts fo sho

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
does anyone here use a lacrosse ball to roll your glutes like in Limber 11? I do but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to. If I lean way to the side I can get the outer areas okay, but anything straight across just seems to bounce of some bones and poo poo in my hip, it's weird. I don't even really have a skinny rear end or anything so wtf. So far I just do my best to let it dig around everywhere I can, I'm hoping there is no wrong way to do this.

e: i also don't remember if I mentioned this before in here, but how much does light/darkness affect sleep quality? even when I get in bed early, because of my job, that's about when the sun starts to come out so basically 100% of my sleep is during the day in a room that's got a lot of light. I was going to buy a blackout curtain, but a friend has one I can have which I am going to get next time I see him at work in a day or two.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Hey can everyone else please post their loving grocery list? It's such awesome conversation and makes this thread so good. Anyone buy any milk recently???

• Locked thread