Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I love this thread.

*cough*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Entropic posted:

My options are $45 for a draft with basically no prizing, or $60 draft with 1 pack per entrant prizing and I have no idea on the distribution.
Both shops are selling packs for $15 CAD which is like $12 USD

My shops are selling for $12cdn. Bought a couple packs and got deathrite, vindicate, and a force of will.

Gonna draft tonight for $45

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Holy poo poo. That's really freaky.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Pretty sure the guy just collected all the foil Pilgrim's Eyes to line them up. Unless it is another random mispack like those Fate Reforged boxes that had a fetch in every pack. :doh:

He opened them all in his box, 13 of them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/4nicwj/13_foil_pilgrims_eye_in_my_ema_box/

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
According to goldfish, seems only 4 of the 15 mythics in the set are below MSRP, which seems to me to be above average compared to the typical sets that are released. Seems decent.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheMaestroso posted:

According to goldfish, seems only 4 of the 15 mythics in the set are below MSRP, which seems to me to be above average compared to the typical sets that are released. Seems decent.

I mean, in MM2015 it was just Comet Storm and MM2015 was way shittier value than MM1.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I went to my shop to pick up a few things for the GPT tomorrow, and decided to buy one EMA pack...and just one pack......

:vince:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Went to draft. Opened nothing over $3. Built a dumb UB reanimated deck. Went 2-1. Got blown out by glare of subdual, cause I had no way to interact with it, and then I decided the format was kinda dumb. Fun, but kinda dumb. Never saw a counterspell in the draft. Got an isochron scepter in my prize pack. An excellent use of $40.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Currently 2-0 in an EMA draft. It was $30 entry and they're paying out in EMA packs for 2-1/2-0-1/3-0 as 3/4/5 packs. ELVES GONNA ELVES.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I just lost to mill in standard. I'm gonna go set this deck on fire, kill myself, and make a new deck. What should I build that isn't GW tokens?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Yawgmoth posted:

I just lost to mill in standard. I'm gonna go set this deck on fire, kill myself, and make a new deck. What should I build that isn't GW tokens?

Mill.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Bant clues tamiyo's journal season's past perma fog mill.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Bant clues tamiyo's journal season's past perma fog mill.
I hate myself and everyone else so clearly this is the right answer.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I don't know what that other guy was smoking because EMA draft is actually fun as poo poo.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

Fight feels like a mistake. It's confusing to every new player (how are you supposed to know the word has a specific rules meaning, it reads like generic rules text), and a bunch of the fight-like spells don't use the word anyway (like rabid bite).

Disagree. It's easy to explain, sidesteps the constraints of burn spells, and overcomes some of the glaring weaknesses of stompy creatures. It adds a tiny little dimension to the game. Worth the price of being confusing at first imo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr. Jive posted:

Disagree. It's easy to explain, sidesteps the constraints of burn spells, and overcomes some of the glaring weaknesses of stompy creatures. It adds a tiny little dimension to the game. Worth the price of being confusing at first imo.

My issue is more with the specific implementation and wording than the general idea. They should've found a way to cover rabid bite type effects with the same keyword (e.g., "A hits B, B hits A" for fights)and used a less confusing phrasing, imo.

What do you mean by "sidesteps the constraints of burn spells"?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Rinkles posted:

My issue is more with the specific implementation and wording than the general idea. They should've found a way to cover rabid bite type effects with the same keyword (e.g., "A hits B, B hits A" for fights)and used a less confusing phrasing, imo.

My guess is that WOTC agrees with you- the last couple limited sets have been phasing out fight for rabid bite style effects.

I enjoy fight but definitely have seen it confuse newer players.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

red is the only color that gets burn, but fight acts like psuedo-burn in a lot of contexts

thats what i'm assuming they mean, idk for sure tbh

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
So I just noticed that I have 45 MTGO Championship Series Qualifier Points. Is there a way to look up when the next tournament will be for these? Specifically a limited one.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Shouldn't green have some reasonable burn, in the "I'm literally walking up and punching you/your creature in the face" way?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Skyl3lazer posted:

I don't know what that other guy was smoking because EMA draft is actually fun as poo poo.

It's just ok. Not amazing, not bad, just ok.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Got back from EMA draft. Went R/W aggro splashing green for 2 x Bloodbraid Elf and an Armadillo Cloak. Pool was kind of nutty with 4 x Carbonize with random Karakas + Vamp Tutor + Mystical Tutor for :10bux:. There was another red drafter two seats to the left, but he decided to go full on tokens which didn't really pan out for him, and I kind of cut off all of his removal. Ended up going undefeated eeking out a close match against a sick U/G threshold deck.

One guy had a ridiculous U/B reanimator deck that was theoretically better than mine, but I drew all 4 Carbonize against him in the deciding game, so he could never get two creatures in his grave to use his Victimizes. And I ended up beating him by top decking Bloodbraid Elf cascading into Rally the Peasants. :v:

Prize packs had nothing in them, but I can't complain. I did, however, fail in my secondary goal which was to play the Esper control guy and repeatedly bounce his Brago with Karakas. :v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

PJOmega posted:

Shouldn't green have some reasonable burn, in the "I'm literally walking up and punching you/your creature in the face" way?

That''s more of a red action. Green has fight, which is a pretty good equivalent.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
I did what any self respecting magic player should do on Eternal masters release day...

Play standard FNM... Win... trade prize pack for EMA ones and open a DRS, Top and a Foil Green Sun's Zenith.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So I just noticed that I have 45 MTGO Championship Series Qualifier Points. Is there a way to look up when the next tournament will be for these? Specifically a limited one.

You missed it. The next one is in August.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/2016-magic-online-championship-series

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Ah, K thanks. Maybe I'll ask to borrow a standard deck for one of those other ones. Do you know if you get to keep the product in the limited events?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

PJOmega posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of green spell that was like "deal damage to target creature equal to your life total, it deals damage equal to its power to you," although that could backfire spectacularly and isn't good late game it would be an interesting card to have. Make it an uncommon instant and cost it at G or 1G and it could actually be good. Anyway green's burn is more "target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn."

I'm not sure if fight is going to still be used as a mechanic, they've been looking for a way to give green removal for years and they seem to be moving more towards one-sided fighting, which is awesome.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lets Pickle posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of green spell that was like "deal damage to target creature equal to your life total, it deals damage equal to its power to you," although that could backfire spectacularly and isn't good late game it would be an interesting card to have.

For most of the game that's practically "destroy target creature, you lose life equal to its power". Which surprisingly doesn't seem to have been done yet, but a few versions that make you lose life equal to its toughness have shown up in B or WB, where it probably fits better. I can't see them giving green something like that, at least not at low CMC.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So they just kind of quietly gave up on the cardboard packaging experiment they'd be trying with Modern Masters, huh?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Oh a PES Grand Prix. And online pairings aren't working? Surprise!!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Entropic posted:

So they just kind of quietly gave up on the cardboard packaging experiment they'd be trying with Modern Masters, huh?

They had to replace too many cards. Maybe cardboard with a Mylar lining would work better?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Wasn't that packaging responsible for ruining a lot of cards?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

kizudarake posted:

They had to replace too many cards. Maybe cardboard with a Mylar lining would work better?

That'd defeat the whole recyclable part of the cardboard packaging

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

kizudarake posted:

That would defeat the whole point of the cardboard, which was to replace mylar with something recyclable.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The nature of experiments is that sometimes they don't work out - if you already knew things would work perfectly, you wouldn't need an experiment, you'd just do it.

We might see cardboard packs coming back if they have ideas on how to fix the issues, or they might forever be an interesting idea that didn't pan out.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I did like that they were easily reusable, but you do need packaging that actually protects your product.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I really wish the cardboard packs would have been big enough to hold 15 sleeved cards for cube purposes but that would have left even more room for the cards to move around and get damaged.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

I really wish the cardboard packs would have been big enough to hold 15 sleeved cards for cube purposes but that would have left even more room for the cards to move around and get damaged.

I think you can also order them on Amazon, but my mom works at a bank and gave me a pile of those bands they use for bundling cash. They work great.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Today was the day I was reminded that I am perma'd in the official magic stream by Efro because I said the following...

"Maybe his opponent should concede for player equity" during a random match while he was a mod in the chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Sickening posted:

Today was the day I was reminded that I am perma'd in the official magic stream by Efro because I said the following...

"Maybe his opponent should concede for player equity" while he was a mod in the chat.

Good for you?

• Locked thread