Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I kinda get it. But it seems like the same image is being posted over and over.

I believe those are called memes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I have no idea about most of those but in Dota 2 the supplementary lore didn't really come at odds with the way the game played. For the most part though, the characters in Dota 2 weren't as generic so there was less need for their to be extra chances to show off their character. Of course given that there were dozens of them there were some that weren't great, but Valve just has stronger writing than Blizzard overall.

The point I'm trying to make is, Blizzard went with very generic archetypes for a lot of their characters. So for those characters to really be interesting they need to give them more depth, but with the way Overwatch is setup you're not gonna get that.

You literally have characters doing stuff that goes directly against all their interests for the sake of the game. How is it not?

I was mostly listing games since aside from TF2 I haven't played any of them anyway. It's not like Payday has enemy classes you're fighting against. And in TF2's case, a good deal of its features didn't get added until years down the line so I dunno if all the writing was there at the beginning. Granted, that doesn't mean you can't tell or say that what Blizzard's put out right now isn't stellar.

But I get your meaning. There is no fixing Overwatch's story, it's unsalvageable.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Overwatch is about superheroes duking it out in spectacular fashion. As long as the spectacle is foregrounded, whether by old grudges coming to odds in animated shorts or by HitlerFan1998's highlight reel, they really can't go awry.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There was like 15 images last page and zero this page, post some loving images and shut up about whatever you're blathering about

one of these is not fanart

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Huszsersvn posted:

Overwatch is about superheroes duking it out in spectacular fashion. As long as the spectacle is foregrounded, whether by old grudges coming to odds in animated shorts or by HitlerFan1998's highlight reel, they really can't go awry.

Superheroes are always temporarily changing sides or getting in fights with each other. Within the last few months we've had two huge blockbuster movies about superheroes fighting each other

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Honestly the only real problem with the Overwatch lore is that the writing is mediocre. It's not like Dota and TF2 characters are substantially more interesting on the concept level, their writer and voice actors just do a better job of bringing them to life. Plus nobody seems to have actually thought twice about any of the worldbuilding. For example, they keep referring to Overwatch as "heroes" whose goal is to "fight for peace", but their actual backstory is that they're an international taskforce designed to put down a slave revolt. They also make a big deal out of how Omnics are sentient beings with rights and feelings, then turn right around and cast them as faceless villains and monsters in the backstories of other characters.

Also fwiw to me Reaper comes across as less Tryhard McGrimdark and more saturday morning cartoon villain, but whether that's intentional or just Blizzard trying and failing at Serious Business is anyone's guess.

Okay now that I got that out of my system, here's some relevant fanart:

Tracer voice lines

SFM videos are a hell of a thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8HO6hba9ZE

There used to be an excellent motion comic version of this on YouTube, but it was taken down for some reason. At least the audio survives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4147195M5RA

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

...Overwatch has lore? I thought it was just "here's some archetypes we made, we made a legitimate effort towards visual diversity, here's a fun FPS, have at it!"

I'm sad these are fanart and not included in some sort of ultra-deluxe Earthbound art book where this is what's featured on the character bio and development sections.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Pomp posted:

A N T I M A G E

The only story I know about DotA2 is that Invoker is on the lane and AntiMage hates him.

This I learned from SaltyBet.

Also, Invoker on the Train is the best team in Exhibitions.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

There was like 15 images last page and zero this page, post some loving images and shut up about whatever you're blathering about

this type of fanart always looks so gross, which works really well for the bottom picture

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Even their last name is gross.

MINCH.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Tiberius Thyben posted:

The infantilizing is because she is a gamer, and thus an adult child.

She's also way younger than everyone else in the game. Most characters are in their thirties or later, with a couple people in mid to late 20s. D. Va's 19.

e: I was beaten to this horribly and didn't notice, have this as penance

Taciturn Tactician has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Jun 10, 2016

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

...Overwatch has lore? I thought it was just "here's some archetypes we made, we made a legitimate effort towards visual diversity, here's a fun FPS, have at it!"

What a disgusting display of toxic masculinity.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I only know about Overwatch through being totally saturated with fanart and stuff, but I feel like the lore/game disconnect could have been really easily been fixed just by putting the heroes on opposing factions. Team Little Shitbird Gremlins causing no end of grief for Team Retired Cops Who Are Too Old For This poo poo.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it2sk2nzbnY

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Abyssal Squid posted:

I only know about Overwatch through being totally saturated with fanart and stuff, but I feel like the lore/game disconnect could have been really easily been fixed just by putting the heroes on opposing factions. Team Little Shitbird Gremlins causing no end of grief for Team Retired Cops Who Are Too Old For This poo poo.

Ooh, and also you need to play long enough to unlock certain heroes, and if one person is playing one of them then you can't play that hero right now either!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_9SsX7HJhE

That one gets weird towards the end so I wouldn't recommend watching it at work.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/LordSaytenn/status/717885665803763715

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That was some crazy poo poo right there, that someone would take the time to basically animate your average Hyrule adventure.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Please don't doxx me

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

If I wasn't about to fall asleep I'd write what this letter (and the one it's responding to) would say.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Heh.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I GUESS this is fanart.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So proud people are still making dragon age 2 fanart.

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

Cracked_Gear has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Jun 11, 2016

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

So proud people are I'm still making dragon age 2 fanart.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I GUESS this is fanart.

When your work has more words than B^U, that's when you know you need to put down the pencil. Just because there's white space doesn't mean you have to compulsively fill it in!

This just gives me the vibe of something a middle schooler or freshman high school student would draw. I remember doing a trace sketch of Shrek in middle school for fun and the shakiness of the handwriting reminds me of that.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

(click for bigger)

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Eh, it's more this.

Anyway...

Rampant Dwickery has a new favorite as of 09:03 on Jun 11, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Well here's one of the problems with Overwatch's writing; its trying to be two separate things at once. The backstory for the game is this more serious story about fallen heroes rising back up to save the world from crisis. Okay, what does this have to do with the actual game? Absolutely nothing. Nothing you do in Overwatch has to do with all this backstory. Some of your objectives have connections to the backround story but they are very flimsy. They also create weird problems; peaceful robot monk Zenyatta will help deliver an EMP bomb to genocide a bunch of other robots living under a city. Doesn't really make much sense, does it?

I watched a few streams and it was pretty funny how heroic and bombastic the intermatch music was considering it's prefacing a zero stakes death match between a bunch of looney tunes. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

When your work has more words than B^U, that's when you know you need to put down the pencil. Just because there's white space doesn't mean you have to compulsively fill it in!

This just gives me the vibe of something a middle schooler or freshman high school student would draw. I remember doing a trace sketch of Shrek in middle school for fun and the shakiness of the handwriting reminds me of that.

To be fair, every art teacher I had in school said that blank area on a page should be filled in. Of course, they never meant with words...

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Tohouverwatch, nice.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Its that time of the year, the Four Job Fiesta is starting soon. To celebrate, here's some FFV fanart.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Baron Snow posted:

Tohouverwatch, nice.

It's even better when you realize they're both fandoms for games with very little/no coherent plot, outside of a thinly constructed one to sort of drape the world upon. Which means the fans have gone APESHIT because there's so much room to impose yourself and your beliefs on there and make your own world/jokes.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 18:19 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It's even better when you realize they're both fandoms for games with very little/no coherent plot, outside of a thinly constructed one to sort of drape the world upon. Which means the fans have gone APESHIT because there's so much room to impose yourself and your beliefs on there and make your own world/jokes.

Touhou has significantly more thematic consistency and plot than Overwatch does

Which is kinda sad, since Touhou was made by a single Japanese alcoholic and Overwatch is a AAA game

• Locked thread