Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also Star Wars really was unlike anything anyone had seen ever. It had antecedents in Kurosawa and Flash Gordon and so on but nobody had put the pieces together before.

If there ever is "another Star Wars" it won't be a sci-fi action movie because we're used to that. It'll be some genre that was never big, done in a way that wasn't possible before, that appeals to people who would never watch that sort of thing otherwise. Like the biggest romantic comedy of all time or something equally left field.

The Matrix probably comes close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Alhazred posted:

The Matrix probably comes close.

As another poster said, it's Harry Potter.

Aside from earning boatloads of money, it has an extremely wide age-range of fans, relies on extremely expansive world-building, and has fostered a really active fanfiction and collector community that far overreaches the scope of the stories alone. It's not surprising that spinoff materials set in the same world are a thing, and likely will be for decades.

Also, the primary plot essentially happens in the middle of the story, and it's a giant pastiche of other successful genres (e.g. it's partly a Hardy Boys detective mystery, partly a Hero's Journey fantasy narrative, partly a YA teen social drama...)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Xealot posted:

As another poster said, it's Harry Potter.

Aside from earning boatloads of money, it has an extremely wide age-range of fans, relies on extremely expansive world-building, and has fostered a really active fanfiction and collector community that far overreaches the scope of the stories alone. It's not surprising that spinoff materials set in the same world are a thing, and likely will be for decades.

Also, the primary plot essentially happens in the middle of the story, and it's a giant pastiche of other successful genres (e.g. it's partly a Hardy Boys detective mystery, partly a Hero's Journey fantasy narrative, partly a YA teen social drama...)

Arguably that's more true about the books than the movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The tag team of Lucas and Spielberg changed film in a much more drastic and revolutionary way than anything else that's come along since, Harry Potter included. Before Star Wars, Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and E.T, stuff like Harry Potter would have been considered B movie material regardless of how many books were sold.

Lucas and especially Spielberg brought the craft and artistry of New Hollywood, but their genius was in combining that with old school B-movie sensibilities. It changed everything, stuff like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, and every one of these comic book franchises wouldn't exist if that ground had been broken.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

The tag team of Lucas and Spielberg changed film in a much more drastic and revolutionary way than anything else that's come along since, Harry Potter included. Before Star Wars, Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and E.T, stuff like Harry Potter would have been considered B movie material regardless of how many books were sold.

Lucas and especially Spielberg brought the craft and artistry of New Hollywood, but their genius was in combining that with old school B-movie sensibilities. It changed everything, stuff like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, and every one of these comic book franchises wouldn't exist if that ground had been broken.

If anyone bought the Mad Max Blu-Ray anthology, I highly recommend watching the "Madness of Max" bonus DVD. Having been born after the first one (and thankfully not been exposed to the English overdub), I never realized what the original Mad Max brought to film, as it was all old hat by the time I comprehended a movie.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

I wouldn't attribute New Hollywood's capacity to elevate low genres to Spielberg and Lucas so exclusively. Gangland crime stories, or horror stories, or spy thrillers were all pulpy shlock genres in previous years, too, but Friedkin and Coppola managed to elevate all of them in the ways you're describing. I assumed the whole high-low tendency was generally true of lots of 70's-era directors, from Spielberg to Scorsese to Kubrick to Ridley Scott.

But definitely, Harry Potter isn't novel in terms of film craftsmanship. I just meant, abstractly, the entire popular phenomenon (of books, movies, etc.) has grabbed people today in much the way Star Wars did in the 80's. The Matrix was deeply influential on genre filmmaking, but nobody's clamoring for a "Matrix Origins: Merovingian" spinoff or whatever to scour every corner of that world. I guess I'm not stating my terms clearly enough.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xealot posted:

The Matrix was deeply influential on genre filmmaking, but nobody's clamoring for a "Matrix Origins: Merovingian" spinoff or whatever to scour every corner of that world. I guess I'm not stating my terms clearly enough.

That's because Matrix 2 and 3 were terribly botched. Had either managed to live up to the first Matrix, I have no doubt that people would clamor for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

I wouldn't attribute New Hollywood's capacity to elevate low genres to Spielberg and Lucas so exclusively. Gangland crime stories, or horror stories, or spy thrillers were all pulpy shlock genres in previous years, too, but Friedkin and Coppola managed to elevate all of them in the ways you're describing. I assumed the whole high-low tendency was generally true of lots of 70's-era directors, from Spielberg to Scorsese to Kubrick to Ridley Scott.

You're not wrong of course, but I still think Spielberg and Lucas were the keystones of the whole thing. I think the film industry would be more or less the same today if The Exorcist never existed, and I don't really agree that something like the Godfather is an example of what we're talking about.

But take Star Wars and Spielberg's ridiculous string of hits out of the mix, and who knows what kind of movies we'd be watching today.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Wasn't there some talk of a fourth one? Panned or not, M2&3 still made a lot of money.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Basebf555 posted:

Less about genius and more about exploiting/enhancing the puritanism of emerging PG13 ticket-sale demographics.

Basebf555 posted:

But take Star Wars and Spielberg's ridiculous string of hits out of the mix, and who knows what kind of movies we'd be watching today.

More interesting ones.

Fewer Michael Bay films, more George Miller films.

edit; I shouldn't say that, Transformers is at least interesting as time-capsule satire.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 9, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

Wasn't there some talk of a fourth one? Panned or not, M2&3 still made a lot of money.

They couldn't make a fourth one because all of the talented fight choreographers and stunt people had retired to their own private island thanks to Keanu Reeve's gifting them his salary.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Xealot posted:

But definitely, Harry Potter isn't novel in terms of film craftsmanship.

In terms of casting and scheduling it was. I mean they got a group of kids and used them relentlessly for EIGHT MOVIES. "OMG, gotta get this poo poo done before any of them get old!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

So I just got to Beyond Thunderdome.

What the gently caress.

Give it a couple weeks, then watch it again. That movie benefits from repeated viewing more than any of the others.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Yeah not gonna lie I loving love thunderdome.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

VideoTapir posted:

In terms of casting and scheduling it was. I mean they got a group of kids and used them relentlessly for EIGHT MOVIES. "OMG, gotta get this poo poo done before any of them get old!"

Also straight-up luck. They cast like a dozen British child actors, and pretty much all of them aged into attractive adults. Nobody's surprised by Emma Watson, but Neville Longbottom? Come on, how did that Aardman Animations creature age up into a ripped, hot dude?

I rewatched Fury Road recently with someone who had not seen it, and it became funny the number of times the best explanation as to why something was happening was, "gently caress you. It just is." What are the boils from? What happened to Furiosa's arm? Why are they Norse pagans in Australia? Why do they need blood transfusions all the time? "Because gently caress you. They do. This guy's guitar shoots flames and it's awesome."

Fury Road is the total inverse of Jupiter Ascending, a film that goes balls-deep on overwrought imagery and insane plot concepts, but does it with no sense whatsoever of purpose, style, or economy. Nothing but paragraphs of unwanted exposition, and not a single goddamn flame-throwing guitar.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 9, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xealot posted:

Also straight-up luck. They cast like a dozen British child actors, and pretty much all of them aged into attractive adults. Nobody's surprised by Emma Watson, but Neville Longbottom? Come on, how did that Aardman Animations creature age up into a ripped, hot dude?

If I remember correctly, Matthew Lewis actually looked pretty normal for a 10-year-old kid and they had to give him fake teeth to look gawky. They were definitely lucky in getting kids who were not only attractive adults, but actually turned into decent actors. Daniel Radcliffe is all over the drat place now, even if you always see him as Harry Potter.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I always wonder if that's a chicken-and-egg thing, though. Like, is acting something that can be taught? Would Radcliffe be a successful actor if he hadn't been immersed in the industry since boyhood? Likewise the kid who played Neville - having a personal trainer and stylist through your teenage years probably helps a lot in turning you into a hot adult.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, I also wouldn't discount being surrounded by how many established actors as mentors, being worked with throughout their maturation as an actor. Likely avoids the old story of child actors who hit bottom are their first couple of hits, as they got to grow up with the production.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ĦHola SEA!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Fewer Michael Bay films, more George Miller films.

Weird choice of example, there's 0 chance you get something like Fury Road without the blockbuster system, or Star Wars mainstreaming sci fi schlock.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DeimosRising posted:

Weird choice of example, there's 0 chance you get something like Fury Road without the blockbuster system, or Star Wars mainstreaming sci fi schlock.

Well, Road Warrior is more like Fury Road than Star Wars, so...

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Xealot posted:

I rewatched Fury Road recently with someone who had not seen it, and it became funny the number of times the best explanation as to why something was happening was, "gently caress you. It just is." What are the boils from? What happened to Furiosa's arm? Why are they Norse pagans in Australia? Why do they need blood transfusions all the time? "Because gently caress you. They do.

The thing is most of those questions can be answered from careful watching. Furiosa lost her arm in some distant combat (which isn't talked about because it's Max's movie, despite what some may say). Joe's religion is a mishmash of random heavy metal bullshit because it sounds cool and kids who've grown up post-apocalyptic won't know any better anyway. I once heard someone describe Joe's religion as a faith built out of Motorhead liner notes. And since I keep hearing people ask about the half-life illness I'm just gonna repost my earlier thoughts on the subject:

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I've seen the lumps/tumors thing come up a couple of times in the thread. I'm personally pretty sure that the Warboy's illness/'half life' definition is just plain old advanced leukemia. Leukemia is caused by continued exposure to radiation, can sometimes take years to fully develop, and causes swollen/tumerous lymph nodes. I'll attach some pictures to the bottom to show what I mean, but know that these lymph node abnormalities can even cause swelling inside the throat, leading to difficulty breathing (Nux talking about his mates 'chewing on his windpipe'). Untreated leukemia eventually leads to myeloma, a type of blood cancer that attacks bone marrow. This leads to anemia and bone tumors, and can be primitively treated by blood transfusions, though apparently that'll only prolong your life by about 4-5 years with regular good blood injections.

Here's an example of hosed up lymph nodes, like what Nux (probably) has:

And here's some advanced leukemia stuff (like what Ace seems to have), these are gonna be linked cause they are a bit horrifying if you're at work or have a weak stomach for medical stuff
:nms:
http://i.imgur.com/5Bxvzjh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JseAfYh.jpg

Keep in mind that Miller was a for real medical doctor and all this stuff would be pretty familiar to him. Even People Eaters foot has an explanation, that type of gigantism can be caused by walking barefoot on radioactive soil.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Lymphoma is another plausible-sounding culprit.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Lymphoma is another plausible-sounding culprit.

Probably a mixture of both throughout the population, the lymphatic system really really doesn't play nice with radiation.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The thing is most of those questions can be answered from careful watching. Furiosa lost her arm in some distant combat (which isn't talked about because it's Max's movie, despite what some may say). Joe's religion is a mishmash of random heavy metal bullshit because it sounds cool and kids who've grown up post-apocalyptic won't know any better anyway. I once heard someone describe Joe's religion as a faith built out of Motorhead liner notes. And since I keep hearing people ask about the half-life illness I'm just gonna repost my earlier thoughts on the subject:

No, of course, "Furiosa's seen some poo poo" and "they have some sort of blood cancer or something" are sound extrapolations.

All I mean is, they're not going to have some guy say, "the fumes give them The Sickness....'leukemia' we old ones call it." The film has no interest in devoting time to that kind of thing, and explaining it wouldn't particularly enrich the experience.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Keep in mind that Miller was a for real medical doctor and all this stuff would be pretty familiar to him. Even People Eaters foot has an explanation, that type of gigantism can be caused by walking barefoot on radioactive soil.

I'm leaning towards a massive case of gout; I like to think his namesake as very literal and people aren't really the healtiest food.

I mean, people eater is too awesome a name to be wasted in weak metaphor.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tafferling posted:

I'm leaning towards a massive case of gout; I like to think his namesake as very literal and people aren't really the healtiest food.

I mean, people eater is too awesome a name to be wasted in weak metaphor.
I, uh, was curious about this and I think it's only the brain that's really bad for you due to prions or something. At least that's what I read until I had to stop because the site included descriptions of what people taste like from notable convicted cannibals :whitewater:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If you're just eating people then you get all the normal Atkins diseases.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Basebf555 posted:

They couldn't make a fourth one because all of the talented fight choreographers and stunt people had retired to their own private island thanks to Keanu Reeve's gifting them his salary.

Wait what? This sounds awesome.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Not quite that awesome, but something like that:
http://uproxx.com/movies/did-keanu-reeves-really-give-away-80-million-dollars/

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Keanu is good and deserved neither all the horrific things that have happened to him nor the typecasting memes the public have grafted onto.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

david_a posted:

I, uh, was curious about this and I think it's only the brain that's really bad for you due to prions or something. At least that's what I read until I had to stop because the site included descriptions of what people taste like from notable convicted cannibals :whitewater:

It's not that deep, gout can be caused by having too much meat in one's diet.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

One of my former coworkers got gout because he ate pretty much nothing but protein powder.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

david_a posted:

At least that's what I read until I had to stop because the site included descriptions of what people taste like from notable convicted cannibals :whitewater:

Then you shouldn't google "longpork".

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You should watch Ravenous though.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Alhazred posted:

Then you shouldn't google "longpork".

We smell and cook like pork, but apparently taste more like beef.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tezcatlipoca posted:

over a beef stew dinner yes

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

over a beef stew dinner yes

And a nice, juicy rare steak to start off.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TerminalSaint posted:

We smell and cook like pork, but apparently taste more like beef.

Analogies can only get you far. Ultimately, people taste most like people.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I suppose that's a fair comparison.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Arguably that's more true about the books than the movies.

I would agree. The movie series didn't really hit it's creative and critical stride until Alfonso Cuarón did Prisoner Of Azkaban. I doubt the films would have continued to be such hits, or at least would have largely floated on the reputation of the books, if Chris Columbus was still helming them past Chamber Of Secrets.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, I also wouldn't discount being surrounded by how many established actors as mentors, being worked with throughout their maturation as an actor. Likely avoids the old story of child actors who hit bottom are their first couple of hits, as they got to grow up with the production.

This is pretty important. I know that Radcliffe had an off-screen friendship with Richard Griffiths, Mr. Dursley in the films, and even credits him with accepting the role of Alan Strang in "Equus", which Griffiths also played the psychiatrist Dysart, as well as the challenge of the nudity for the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Once upon a time I was watching Armed Forces Network, and there was a PSA for the Fleet and Family Support Center. It had the main theme from Ravenous playing. I was like "what tha gently caress?" Did someone just think it sounded pretty, or did some military video editor guy just want to convert everyone to that movie all stealthily?

• Locked thread