Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
We're probably just never gonna get Tauren.

:saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Given that the film will need roughly $500M just to break even, and it's looking like it may only barely make that thanks to China, I'm really scratching my head at how many people seem to seriously be talking about a sequel on the internet (granted it's mostly the WoW forums but still).

Then again, we're getting Pacific Rim 2, so miracles can happen in this brave new world of Chinese equity financing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It says production costs were $160 million. I think they made it back already.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

It says production costs were $160 million. I think they made it back already.

$160M production budget + ~$110M Marketing budget. Then the theaters themselves take anywhere between 40-50% of the initial launch cuts. Most films take double to break even and roughly triple to be considered sequel worthy since the industry is clamping down on purses and making fewer movies each year.

This doesn't even get into the 4-way split this film has due to Legendary's deal with Wanda, their buyout, and then Universal's co-financing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The theater I saw it in was nearly empty, so I suppose it's not surprising that it's barely profitable.

Anyway, my impression for Garona being in the forest was that the raiding party was leading her around in chains and then her handler got melted by the wide-range anti-Fel spell. But she's too weak to drag his body around her so she was stuck until the chain got cut.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Someone tell me how this is as a standalone fantasy movie without relating it to the games in the slightest

It's clearly not supposed to be a standalone movie in any sense, but it's not like Blizzard is going to flush potential revenue down the drain by admitting that out loud.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I doubt they'll do a sequel (as someone said earlier, I think Blizzard just wanted to check off Did A Movie) , but you can totally gloss over the WC1/2 war and set a potential sequel in a kinda/sorta WC3 setting. Without a working portal the Orcs are mostly defeated, become lethargic, and Thrall/Doomhammer try and save their people, with a dude who can't be Medievh, he's dead. Garona is trying to get help from the distrustful humans, because he's trying to open the Dark Portal again.

Also, wtf. My mounts never disemboweled half a dozen mobs at a time. The gently caress, all this dude had was a man-sized eagle, I had a giant skeletal dragon with armor plating bolted onto its face.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Axel Serenity posted:

$160M production budget + ~$110M Marketing budget. Then the theaters themselves take anywhere between 40-50% of the initial launch cuts. Most films take double to break even and roughly triple to be considered sequel worthy since the industry is clamping down on purses and making fewer movies each year.

This is completely made up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

computer parts posted:

Everything about Hollywood budgets is made up, it's a complete mystery as to how little or much money they make. Who knows what they had to pay a "Party official" in China to get it distributed there.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Just saw it. I thought all the Orc stuff was good, was kind of surprised to see so many lady Orcs besides Durotan's mate. I also noticed a pretty diverse cast of extras. Some stuff I liked:

-All the callbacks to the various places, and the sweeping shots of Stormwind.

-While I didn't quite recognize all the spells, I did like the 'channeling' they did to wind them up

-Seeing Durotan, you really see the kind of Orc that Thrall becomes.

-I liked Gul'Dan's voice and character. He seemed like an Orc taken to a logical extreme; the Orcs value strength, so he wanted to be the most badass Orc of them all. But because it was through pussy wizard poo poo the other Orcs didn't really respect him for it.

-Lothar's duel with Blackhand, and his pimp walk afterward.

Instead of a goofy forcefield, Khadgar should've just cast iceblock, had the badguy smack uselessly at this benign block of ice, get bored and walk away.

What exactly did Khadgar do to Medivh to snap him out of it? That scene confused me. It was like some sort of Warcraft version of Intervention or something. Medivh is all green and demony, then Khadgar does some kind of exorcism, then Medivh is cool now?

The name Varian sounds familiar, was he in WoW? I've played the games since WCII Tides of Darkness through Frozen Throne, so my memory is hazy. Also because WoW involves a whole continent that doesn't even get addressed until WCIII I had trouble remembering some of the places they pointed out.

It was an okay movie, but I feel they would've been better off pandering to WoW fans rather than people completely unfamiliar with the franchise who are going to have no idea of the whole baby Moses Thrall stuff. I mean, not one Zug Zug or Kek for crying out loud!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I absolutely loved the orcs, they looked loving awesome and Gul'Dan especially blew me away. The humans were the worst part of the movie for me. Khadgar was OK, but I didn't like their choice for Medivh, he just didn't seem right. I wouldn't say this was a great movie, but it was better than I expected and I sincerely do hope they make a sequel, I am dying to see Illidan or Arthas on the big screen. I am willing to concede that most of my enjoyment came from seeing all of the familiar places, spells, and people, so I wouldn't really recommend this movie to non-fans.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Panfilo posted:

The name Varian sounds familiar, was he in WoW? I've played the games since WCII Tides of Darkness through Frozen Throne, so my memory is hazy. Also because WoW involves a whole continent that doesn't even get addressed until WCIII I had trouble remembering some of the places they pointed out.

Yeah, he's in WoW. He's the new king of Stormwind who reignites conflict because he hates orcs so much. Conflict is always in danger of dying down in WoW, so they need characters like him.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Everything about Hollywood budgets is made up, it's a complete mystery as to how little or much money they make. Who knows what they had to pay a "Party official" in China to get it distributed there.

Standard Hollywood accounting makes Enron look like a Girl Scout cookie sale.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I don't have much to say right now, but my initial reaction is that I had a good time with this. It's what I thought it would be earlier in the thread, a family-friendly summer fantasy with clear good and evil. I took someone who had no familiarity with Warcraft but enjoys other fantasy like Lord of the Rings and Elder Scrolls, and she said it was better than expected.

There's a little too much jumping around in the beginning. You see dwarves and Ironforge for a few minutes, and then they disappear from the film. That may matter less if this becomes a trilogy; Fellowship of the Ring also jumped to locations that played a larger role later. The ending differs slightly from the first game, and my guess is that they'll skip to the third, and we'll see three grown sons who travel very different paths--Thrall, Arthas, and Wrynn.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

We're probably just never gonna get Tauren.

:saddowns:

When they retconned Orcs to be brutish tribal noble savages instead of a raging horde of bloodthirsty Huns they completely displaced the Tauren's genre niche.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nah, they did the retcon at the exact same time the Tauren were introduced, so if that were true then they never had a niche in the first place. Their purpose is more to remind the orcs of what they could have been.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To be fair the Orcs and Tauren still have different niches. As Warlords of Draenor revealed Orcs were always brutal, they just weren't monstrous or particularly Warmongering. Tauren on the other hand are relatively peaceful and had nearly been destroyed by the Centaur before the Orcs showed up.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
I have never played the mmo and only really remember the story from the 3rd rts, and I seriously thought this was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Terrible acting, terrible effects, terrible story, just nothing redeeming about the entire affair.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Cool meme. Any with Shrek?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Clarste posted:

Anyway, my impression for Garona being in the forest was that the raiding party was leading her around in chains and then her handler got melted by the wide-range anti-Fel spell. But she's too weak to drag his body around her so she was stuck until the chain got cut.

Then why not show that? As far as I'm concerned that raiding party of orcs turned up (I don't remember blackhand being in it) and attacked the humans. They lost and ran off.
Then Durotan saw Girona in the forest.

That's it, that's what we saw. I know she translated at the very start but Christ just drop in a line about her being a translator and that's why she's there in a forest on her own.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

computer parts posted:

Well, I only worked for Warner Bros. for a few years and had to learn about and discuss this stuff every day, but if you don't want to take my word for it, here's Deadline's look at it:

quote:

I now hear that the appropriate break-even for Warcraft given its P&A of $110M and $160M production cost is around $500M at the global B.O., not $400M or $450M. Foreign sources think China ultimately could cash in $200M-$250M by the end of its run. Through Sunday, the total international B.O. for the Duncan Jones-helmed movie should stand at $250M-$270M.

Not saying production budgets and Hollywood accounting aren't wonky, but theater chains have been getting about half the initial cut for ages now, which is why it's considered double to break even on the studio end.

This film had weird financing, though, and unlike the U.S., productions studios in China do own theater chains. Wanda (which bought Legendary and owned an equity stake in the film) also owns 18% of theaters in China, so only they know if their accounting is separating their production and theater divisions for the purposes of the film.

Basically, for Warcraft, the answer to whether we get a sequel is "How is Wanda feeling?" on any particular day since it'll barely be close to even by the time all the tickets are sold.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

china saves another lovely franchise.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

china saves another lovely franchise.

Have you seen the movie yet my man? I may go today.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Axel Serenity posted:

Well, I only worked for Warner Bros. for a few years and had to learn about and discuss this stuff every day, but if you don't want to take my word for it, here's Deadline's look at it:

Not saying production budgets and Hollywood accounting aren't wonky, but theater chains have been getting about half the initial cut for ages now, which is why it's considered double to break even on the studio end.

This film had weird financing, though, and unlike the U.S., productions studios in China do own theater chains. Wanda (which bought Legendary and owned an equity stake in the film) also owns 18% of theaters in China, so only they know if their accounting is separating their production and theater divisions for the purposes of the film.

Basically, for Warcraft, the answer to whether we get a sequel is "How is Wanda feeling?" on any particular day since it'll barely be close to even by the time all the tickets are sold.

And then there's also factors like money received from merchandising. It's a big reason that Sony gave up on ASM2 despite the fact that it was a "success" by your metrics. Something might be a success, and not look like it. Or it might be a failure, but be great. Or it might actually do well, but subsequent sales aren't worth it. Or it might have done poorly in the box office but done great in the aftermarket.

There are so many factors to consider that just saying "It didn't earn 3 times its budget therefore it's a flop" is insane.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

computer parts posted:

And then there's also factors like money received from merchandising. It's a big reason that Sony gave up on ASM2 despite the fact that it was a "success" by your metrics. Something might be a success, and not look like it. Or it might be a failure, but be great. Or it might actually do well, but subsequent sales aren't worth it. Or it might have done poorly in the box office but done great in the aftermarket.

There are so many factors to consider that just saying "It didn't earn 3 times its budget therefore it's a flop" is insane.

I don't make the rules, but those are metrics you can read about from just about in every trade from THR to Deadline to Variety.

I should note that I'm talking specifically about a movie being sequel-worthy, which is very different than simply being profitable. Most movies released nowadays are profitable since studios are mostly interested in making sure bets. I'm sure that once everything is tallied, Warcraft will make its money back and then some. The question is whether Uni/Wanda believe viewers are interested enough to warrant taking up the 10-12 release slots Universal slates each year, or if they would rather go with a property they believe would sell more.

The 2x budget thing is pretty standard to break even just because of the actual theater cuts. Beyond that, anyone can really greenlight a sequel if they think it'll make money. The "triple the budget" thing is mostly used as a barometer, though, because studios aren't making as many films every year. At WB, we were only making about 22 each year, and that was almost double the next-highest studio. And even they are cutting back as of last year. Studios only slate so many films each year, so they are giving those films bigger budgets and want more guaranteed bets (hence so many sequels). So, if Warcraft is competing against the Jurassic franchise for a slot, Jurassic will win out. It's just a matter of "we only have this many slots so which movies are we filling them with" and Universal has a few franchises already that have made more than 3x their cost back.

Warcraft is kind of in an odd spot though where things are still up in the air because of Legendary's buyout and the unique position of Wanda in the Chinese market. I think a sequel is more likely than it was before it started breaking B.O. expectations there, but I still think it's a hard sell to get Universal to agree to another because of the way cash works in China. U.S. studios have a harder time keeping grosses in China, not to mention actually getting the money because of regulators there (some people say studios only receive 20% of Chinese grosses versus the 50% standard in U.S. and Europe), so while the numbers may look great there, they may not actually be so great for the U.S. investors.

But, no one really knows since Legendary's buyout is probably the biggest production company sale to foreign investors the industry has seen in a good while. If they decide to greenlight a sequel and market it largely to China, they may be able to convince Universal to release stateside with minimal risk (the studio currently only has about a ~25% return thanks to the equity deal but also only ate ~25% of the cost of production). Or they could simply make a sequel using an entirely Chinese production, which would be odd for such a world-recognized game but not out of the realm of possibility.

My gut instinct tells me no, Warcraft is not getting a sequel because of all of the factors involved, but I've been wrong before. I don't even think Universal knows at this point what Wanda will do.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 11, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So this was reasonably fun. I appreciated how fast the pace was. Way better than the Hobbit films or other recent fantasy I can think of.

A lot of the stuff people are mentioning as plot holes are just things you have to be paying attention to catch that they don't explicitly lay out with dialog. Which, yeah, they could have had that dialog, but better to just keep things in motion.

In particular, that one dude agreeing to take the fell, but wanting his clan to see him do it, where it's obvious he's just stalling for time. It was great to have him get back to his camp and it's like, nope, the evil sorcerer isn't an idiot and saw through you instantly, and now he's killing all your people, you hosed up again.

Also don't get the idea that you need to know any sort of background lore to understand the movie. I've played a few missions in Warcraft 3, of which I remember nothing, and a few hands of Hearthstone, and it didn't seem like I was missing anything. I'm sure there's context for a bunch of stuff, but it's not like Empire Strikes Back is somehow lessened by you not knowing what the ice cream machine guy's deal is. The movie has everything you need to understand the movie itself.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Sir Kodiak posted:

Also don't get the idea that you need to know any sort of background lore to understand the movie. I've played a few missions in Warcraft 3, of which I remember nothing, and a few hands of Hearthstone, and it didn't seem like I was missing anything. I'm sure there's context for a bunch of stuff, but it's not like Empire Strikes Back is somehow lessened by you not knowing what the ice cream machine guy's deal is. The movie has everything you need to understand the movie itself.

I'm convinced its the opening 15-20 minutes or so. Having like four different travelling scenes before you get to the point is making it harder to get into the movie than it should be. Something i'm seeing in reviews that don't outright hate the film is that they like the orc stuff - and the orc stuff is established in one scene. Dying planet have to escape evil sorcerer in one scene. Theres like 5 or more between first human scene and oh poo poo evil magic this is bad also orcs are killing dudes.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

I'm convinced its the opening 15-20 minutes or so. Having like four different travelling scenes before you get to the point is making it harder to get into the movie than it should be. Something i'm seeing in reviews that don't outright hate the film is that they like the orc stuff - and the orc stuff is established in one scene. Dying planet have to escape evil sorcerer in one scene. Theres like 5 or more between first human scene and oh poo poo evil magic this is bad also orcs are killing dudes.

If I'm remembering the opening correctly, I thought it did a pretty nice job establishing the basic political geography relatively quickly. There's a dude who runs a city, he's friendly with the king, the king's wife is also his sister so he's highly connected, there's a powerful protector wizard who's respected but he's been distant recently, etc.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Axel Serenity posted:

I don't make the rules, but those are metrics you can read about from just about in every trade from THR to Deadline to Variety.

I should note that I'm talking specifically about a movie being sequel-worthy, which is very different than simply being profitable. Most movies released nowadays are profitable since studios are mostly interested in making sure bets. I'm sure that once everything is tallied, Warcraft will make its money back and then some. The question is whether Uni/Wanda believe viewers are interested enough to warrant taking up the 10-12 release slots Universal slates each year, or if they would rather go with a property they believe would sell more.

The 2x budget thing is pretty standard to break even just because of the actual theater cuts. Beyond that, anyone can really greenlight a sequel if they think it'll make money. The "triple the budget" thing is mostly used as a barometer, though, because studios aren't making as many films every year. At WB, we were only making about 22 each year, and that was almost double the next-highest studio. And even they are cutting back as of last year. Studios only slate so many films each year, so they are giving those films bigger budgets and want more guaranteed bets (hence so many sequels). So, if Warcraft is competing against the Jurassic franchise for a slot, Jurassic will win out. It's just a matter of "we only have this many slots so which movies are we filling them with" and Universal has a few franchises already that have made more than 3x their cost back.

Warcraft is kind of in an odd spot though where things are still up in the air because of Legendary's buyout and the unique position of Wanda in the Chinese market. I think a sequel is more likely than it was before it started breaking B.O. expectations there, but I still think it's a hard sell to get Universal to agree to another because of the way cash works in China. U.S. studios have a harder time keeping grosses in China, not to mention actually getting the money because of regulators there (some people say studios only receive 20% of Chinese grosses versus the 50% standard in U.S. and Europe), so while the numbers may look great there, they may not actually be so great for the U.S. investors.

But, no one really knows since Legendary's buyout is probably the biggest production company sale to foreign investors the industry has seen in a good while. If they decide to greenlight a sequel and market it largely to China, they may be able to convince Universal to release stateside with minimal risk (the studio currently only has about a ~25% return thanks to the equity deal but also only ate ~25% of the cost of production). Or they could simply make a sequel using an entirely Chinese production, which would be odd for such a world-recognized game but not out of the realm of possibility.

My gut instinct tells me no, Warcraft is not getting a sequel because of all of the factors involved, but I've been wrong before. I don't even think Universal knows at this point what Wanda will do.

Opportunity cost is the big thing here; it's why studios don't just try to make Paranormal Activity forever (x10,000 budget multiplier!) There's only so much advertising to go around and there are only so many screens.

Also LOL at Computer Parts doing his contrarian BS with someone who actually worked for a studio.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

porfiria posted:

Opportunity cost is the big thing here; it's why studios don't just try to make Paranormal Activity forever (x10,000 budget multiplier!) There's only so much advertising to go around and there are only so many screens.

Also LOL at Computer Parts doing his contrarian BS with someone who actually worked for a studio.

There's a ton of cheap movies in that make bank the same way!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

porfiria posted:

Disagreeing with you isn't contrarianism, sorry.

Also you're really dumb if you're just looking at ROI multiplier.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Axel Serenity posted:

For how poorly this movie has been received it's still leagues better than anything that a domestic Chinese company could produce and everyone involved knows it, including Chinese cinemagoers. I highly doubt that they would make a sequel a Chinese production, as that ups the risk substantially.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I also thought it was hilarious that the king was hanging out at the inn in Goldshire, the inn that is famous for erotic roleplay!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

computer parts posted:

Disagreeing with you isn't contrarianism, sorry.

Also you're really dumb if you're just looking at ROI multiplier.

You're right!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

remigious posted:

I also thought it was hilarious that the king was hanging out at the inn in Goldshire, the inn that is famous for erotic roleplay!

The guards in the movie did what the guards in-game refuse to do :black101:/:fuckoff:

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Fojar38 posted:

For how poorly this movie has been received it's still leagues better than anything that a domestic Chinese company could produce and everyone involved knows it, including Chinese cinemagoers. I highly doubt that they would make a sequel a Chinese production, as that ups the risk substantially.

To add to this, while it's true that it's made a shitload of money in China, it hasn't been making peanuts abroad either.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=warcraft.htm

About half of its box office has been from outside China. While it's true that China is probably the reason this is going to break even, China alone can't do it.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Sir Kodiak posted:

If I'm remembering the opening correctly, I thought it did a pretty nice job establishing the basic political geography relatively quickly. There's a dude who runs a city, he's friendly with the king, the king's wife is also his sister so he's highly connected, there's a powerful protector wizard who's respected but he's been distant recently, etc.

It worked fine for me as well - my thinking is though that I *noticed* how many different scenes that information took to get across and maybe it made it harder for other people to get into the movie.

I was into the movie from the start - actually as I was watching I kept wondering when it was going to get bad. I didn't have a problem with any of the human actors - I really liked Khadgar and Lothar (although his delivery kind of sticks out compared to everyone else).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Was this a good movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Was there a chinese person in the movie? Did they mention the central government coming to help?

• Locked thread