Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Lol

I haven't a clue. The monitor just says no signal and no amount of rebooting has been able to change that.

Probably your videocard. Your motherboard may have another video out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Mrit posted:

Probably your videocard. Your motherboard may have another video out.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

oystertoadfish posted:

recording the euros and we got those sudamericanos goin on too

got that f1 quali later

baseball now and for months and forever

do you want a spoiler free zone? of not: england are starting rooney in midfield lol

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Solvent posted:

That's probably just a dead video card. Have you tried taking it out, and plugging your monitor into your motherboard's port?

E: On another note, the Steam link's not bad. I can stream my desktop to the living room for 35 bucks. Steam controller is cool too, haptic feedback for the two thumb touchpads, good weight, and no real problems, really plug n play with the link.

I spent like 20 minutes just now unscrewing the side panel bolt with a knife and have determined that this motherboard port you're referring to isn't inside the pc and instead is on the back, sealed by a black piece of plastic that is bolted onto the machine with screws that I haven't got a screwdriver for. :sigh:

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I spent like 20 minutes just now unscrewing the side panel bolt with a knife and have determined that this motherboard port you're referring to isn't inside the pc and instead is on the back, sealed by a black piece of plastic that is bolted onto the machine with screws that I haven't got a screwdriver for. :sigh:

That sucks, man.

Such is the danger of following advice given without context.

e: Are you phone posting or do you have a secondary PC?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

NumberLast posted:

That sucks, man.

I'm on a phone. A Samsung of some sort.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

rear end cobra posted:

do you want a spoiler free zone? of not: england are starting rooney in midfield lol

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i dont really care tbh i bet others would like to discuss i dont need a gag rule*

*congressional history joke

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Remember how I said I had an old computer? Well it died this morning. I'm pretty ticked off about losing like 12,000 songs. The only songs I've got left are the 40 or so on my mp3 player, which I haven't even got batteries for! :(

I'm the guy who listens to 15 of those songs on repeat for days on end

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

I'm the guy who listens to 15 of those songs on repeat for days on end

Can you listen to stuff on repeat on spotify?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Solvent posted:

That's probably just a dead video card. Have you tried taking it out, and plugging your monitor into your motherboard's port?

E: On another note, the Steam link's not bad. I can stream my desktop to the living room for 35 bucks. Steam controller is cool too, haptic feedback for the two thumb touchpads, good weight, and no real problems, really plug n play with the link.

Yup, the only problem now is :effort: in making key bindings for the game, or waiting for a scrub to make one you can use.

It's great for things like First Person Roguelikes and such though, that's for sure. Played a shitton of Delver with it to get used to it. Medium paced FPS style movement is good for getting used to it.
Love the trackball mode for mouselook and right analog stick, but wish they would add trackball style momentum to left analog//movement bindings.

Fantastic game for it: Valkyria Chronicles. Not only does it support simultaneous KBM and controller, the mouse can be used as fine tune aiming while everything else in the game you can have the original xinput bindings. (Plus as a console game port it is one of the best technically done ports I've ever loving seen and wish every console game gets an amazing port like this, and I wish Sega would capitalize on the PC functions with more games. I believe they're making more VKs and I hope those all use the same ported engine... if they port those to PC when they do re-release them.)

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Jun 11, 2016

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I just want England to lose

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

NumberLast posted:

That sucks, man.

Good point. I apologize for not thinking of this.

So my computers have been notorious for not accepting the motherboard's port while a graphics card is installed. Since Matoi has it open, it might be productive to unplug the graphics card first. Given your seeming lack of knowledge on the subject, I suggest you do it GENTLY, and make sure you touch something metal just before you unplug it, so I was told, this will discharge any static electricity you might shock the delicate circuitry with... you do have a graphics card... right? Also, make a point to go buy some tools at the 99 cent store near you when you have a chance. Screwdrivers are cheap, and I forget other people aren't as accustomed to having a workshop full of crap to do basic stuff with.

Also, learn to change your own oil and replace your own brake pads. This is a general recommendation for anybody with a car.

... and make me a sig sometime. Please?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Matoi Ryuko posted:

The VGA/DVI cable can come undone with your fingers. If it's stuck in use plyers or a coin or something to start turning it.
The secondary port thing is only if you have a video port on your mobo as well as a GFX card

Your HDD should be fine though depending on the issue. The data can be recovered.

If you wish to see if it's just your video card you can boot it up and then look at your router's web UI to see if it says it's connected. Perhaps do a ping test to the PC to see if it responds (if the PC doesn't just go "I WON'T BOOT WITHOUT A VALID VIDEO CARD RESPONSE" though, some do.)

If you verify your PC can respond, it's fine and just a video card issue.
If it doesn't respond, could be any number of things depending on how far it boots.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Solvent posted:

Good point. I apologize for not thinking of this.

So my computers have been notorious for not accepting the motherboard's port while a graphics card is installed. Since Matoi has it open, it might be productive to unplug the graphics card first. Given your seeming lack of knowledge on the subject, I suggest you do it GENTLY, and make sure you touch something metal just before you unplug it, so I was told, this will discharge any static electricity you might shock the delicate circuitry with... you do have a graphics card... right? Also, make a point to go buy some tools at the 99 cent store near you when you have a chance. Screwdrivers are cheap, and I forget other people aren't as accustomed to having a workshop full of crap to do basic stuff with.

Also, learn to change your own oil and replace your own brake pads. This is a general recommendation for anybody with a car.

... and make me a sig sometime. Please?

I'm broke so that's not going to happen anytime soon, if you post a sig request in my BYOB sig request thread I'll get to it in a couple of months, when I get a new computer.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

rear end cobra posted:

I just want England to lose

id like that as well english sports fans are extremely good at being bitter its fun to watch them be that

i used to follow the stupid qualifying for euro and olympics where like albania-serbia will degenerate into a riot when somebody flies a drone with an albanian flag over the stadium and poo poo but since i got dvr ive watched a lot more american sports and spent a lot less time watching lovely streams

im off my game on internet sports streaming i think reddit has a lot of hd links now

my baseball team kicked a nearby metropolitan area's baseball team's rear end, won 9 of the last 12, good day

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Jun 11, 2016

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

ThndrShk2k posted:

Yup, the only problem now is :effort: in making key bindings for the game, or waiting for a scrub to make one you can use.

It's great for things like First Person Roguelikes and such though, that's for sure. Played a shitton of Delver with it to get used to it. Medium paced FPS style movement is good for getting used to it.
Love the trackball mode for mouselook and right analog stick, but wish they would add trackball style momentum to left analog//movement bindings.

Fantastic game for it: Valkyria Chronicles. Not only does it support simultaneous KBM and controller, the mouse can be used as fine tune aiming while everything else in the game you can have the original xinput bindings. (Plus as a console game port it is one of the best technically done ports I've ever loving seen and wish every console game gets an amazing port like this, and I wish Sega would capitalize on the PC functions with more games. I believe they're making more VKs and I hope those all use the same ported engine... if they port those to PC when they do re-release them.)

Noted, and thanks for your recommendations! I bought this stuff cause of you it seems.
I'll be sure to take a look at Delver and Valkyria Chronicles too.

I was so braindead yesterday from 8 hours of math, all I could muster was enough effort to play FF IV, grinding to beat Zeromus.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I'm broke so that's not going to happen anytime soon, if you post a sig request in my BYOB sig request thread I'll get to it in a couple of months, when I get a new computer.

No rush! I'm going out for a bit, but I'll walk you through this stuff if you need more help later. It's all really easy.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ThndrShk2k posted:

The VGA/DVI cable can come undone with your fingers. If it's stuck in use plyers or a coin or something to start turning it.
The secondary port thing is only if you have a video port on your mobo as well as a GFX card

Your HDD should be fine though depending on the issue. The data can be recovered.

If you wish to see if it's just your video card you can boot it up and then look at your router's web UI to see if it says it's connected. Perhaps do a ping test to the PC to see if it responds (if the PC doesn't just go "I WON'T BOOT WITHOUT A VALID VIDEO CARD RESPONSE" though, some do.)

If it doesn't respond, could be any number of things depending on how far it boots.

I'm sorry but I don't understand any of this.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Matoi Ryuko posted:

get one of those android pixel programs to make lovely pixel art.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Can you listen to stuff on repeat on spotify?

you just make a custom list afaik

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

oystertoadfish posted:

id like that as well english sports fans are extremely good at being bitter its fun to watch them be that

i used to follow the stupid qualifying for euro and olympics where like albania-serbia will degenerate into a riot when somebody flies a drone with an albanian flag over the stadium and poo poo but since i got dvr ive watched a lot more american sports and spent a lot less time watching lovely streams

im off my game on internet sports streaming i think reddit has a lot of hd links now

Following soccer in the US is great if you work from home, everything is on basic cable and you don't have to wait all day for the game

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

ThndrShk2k posted:

( VGA= monitor port with pins, HDMI= you know this one, MOBO = Motherboard, GFX card= Video or Graphics Card, Router's UI = User interface for the thing that makes WiFi)

E:Oh. it seems that I forget that HDMI and DVI are actually different things.

Solvent has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Jun 11, 2016

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ThndrShk2k posted:

get one of those android pixel programs to make lovely pixel art.

No way. :p

Homeless Friend posted:

you just make a custom list afaik

That doesn't sound half bad.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I'm sorry but I don't understand any of this.
VGA/DVI = the video cable. (since you said it has screws and HDMI cables don't have screws, typically)
Some motherboards don't have onboard video port for a second port.

Depending on the issue, your songs and data are fine. (doesn't sound like a hard drive issue since it shows no video from the PC as far as you said)
Your router may track what devices are connected, if your PC connects and you can communicate with it on the network then you know your PC is working, mostly.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

rear end cobra posted:

Following soccer in the US is great if you work from home, everything is on basic cable and you don't have to wait all day for the game

when i was in college on the east coast i watched a lot of soccer like a whole lot but now im on the west coast and usually work 7-3 so i can get home and watch the east coast 7 pm amerisportball games so yeah soccer hasnt been such a big thing for me recently

i havent torrented aussieball in a while either im normcore now

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Matoi Ryuko posted:

That doesn't sound half bad.
Spotify is good, has a large selection. Free with ads between a few of the songs but it's still worth it if you don't have data limits//are at home

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
wazzzzzup

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ThndrShk2k posted:

VGA/DVI = the video cable. (since you said it has screws and HDMI cables don't have screws, typically)
Some motherboards don't have onboard video port for a second port.

Depending on the issue, your songs and data are fine. (doesn't sound like a hard drive issue since it shows no video from the PC as far as you said)
Your router may track what devices are connected, if your PC connects and you can communicate with it on the network then you know your PC is working, mostly.

I don't understand anything about that router stuff.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
router? i hardly know her

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
and ya good chance its like a minor failure and ur songs are fine

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I don't understand anything about that router stuff.

Take a picture of the back of your motherboard(where all the connectors are), and I will tell you what to do.
Edit: This used to be my job, sorta.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Baloogan posted:

and ya good chance its like a minor failure and ur songs are fine

I'm gunna have a friend bring over one of those little star screwdrivers so I can access the motherboard port.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mrit posted:

Take a picture of the back of your motherboard(where all the connectors are), and I will tell you what to do.

"Weird, I have to vote for Hillary for this to work?"

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mrit posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Homeless Friend posted:

"Weird, I have to vote for Hillary for this to work?"

Voting for Hillary will put all of us to work, friend. :abuela:

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
I switched to Spotify after that time I left my laptop on the roof of my car in the u-district and drove away

it's nice having everything in the cloud, but I still feel bad for having risked my life and liberty to build up that MP3 "collection" via larceny. I understand your pain matoi

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Holy crap, I see what you mean. Premade computers!
That DVI port looks unused, as it looks flat, and a connection would be sticking out. You probably need a new videocard.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I remember when people were sperging their colons out about their mp3 file structures wrt itunes (itunes is bad)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Something sexy about this

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mrit posted:

Holy crap, I see what you mean. Premade computers!
That DVI port looks unused, as it looks flat, and a connection would be sticking out. You probably need a new videocard.

Oh poo poo I just realized they both say "do not remove" on them. It will be a few months until I can afford a new card. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I switched to Spotify after that time I left my laptop on the roof of my car in the u-district and drove away

it's nice having everything in the cloud, but I still feel bad for having risked my life and liberty to build up that MP3 "collection" via larceny. I understand your pain matoi

The solution is to use Google Music, upload all your mp3's to Google, and stream them whenever you want.

• Locked thread