Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Any tips for a good calorie dense dog food to use as a supplement? My husky, Dorian, is still pretty underweight since we adopted him(he's 33.5 lbs, up from 27), but he's still very thin so we were hoping to find something to add to his food. Like a typical husky he's a very picky eater, so he gets about 2 cups (taste of the wild) plus a can of wet a day(kirkland signature natures domain), split between two meals. In theory I could increase his food but he doesn't even finish this amount often so thats not really an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

thebehaviorist posted:

Update on my cat eating and vomiting. Cat sitter recommended TIKI cat food. Gave it to him and he gobbled it up. No vomiting. Other cat likes it too. Too bad it would cost me $175 a month just to feed it to them! Of course he would like the most expensive one. He's such a jerk. Now I'm off to find a cheaper alternative I can pair and fade out the expensive food.

I might have to try this stuff. Its not that Ginny is a picky eater, I'm just tickled by the idea of my cat enjoying the same things I do like lobster. Some of the offerings sound pretty fancy.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My cat is a fat fucker. I need to slim him down. When he trots his gunt sways from side to side, and in the last year he has put on an eyewatering 1kg and now weighs a grand total of 6.6kg (14.5lbs). Easy solution would be to feed the fat bastard less, except that I have another cat who can hardly be persuaded to eat at all and has to be free fed - he doesn't eat on demand, doesn't recognise meat or wet food as food and I've yet to find any treat he will get excited over.

So I have one cat that lives to eat, and another that (grudgingly) eats to live. I thought about getting a micro-chip activated food dispenser thing except that Fat Bastard is uncannily smart and I think he'd either destroy it, push it to where the dog could get to it (and guarantee its destruction as Dog is also a fellow 'live to eat' aficionado) OR, seriously, learn that it will open when Anorexic Cat goes near it and will lie in wait for him to come along before shoving him out of the way and burying his own fat face in it, while simultaneously Anorexic Cat develops yet another food avoidance complex.

Anyone got any suggestions? My cat is turning into a blimp.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Blackchamber posted:

I might have to try this stuff. Its not that Ginny is a picky eater, I'm just tickled by the idea of my cat enjoying the same things I do like lobster. Some of the offerings sound pretty fancy.

Yeah it's supposedly human grade food and it definitely looks like it. There's actual brothy chicken water (??) in there too so they're getting plenty of liquid. I managed to find a pet store that gives me a 20 dollar discount on any orders of 60 bucks and they do free home delivery so this has reduced the monthly price to $129 from $175. I guess I'll just keep them on it for now. I'd definitely give it a shot!

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Tamarillo posted:

My cat is a fat fucker. I need to slim him down. When he trots his gunt sways from side to side, and in the last year he has put on an eyewatering 1kg and now weighs a grand total of 6.6kg (14.5lbs). Easy solution would be to feed the fat bastard less, except that I have another cat who can hardly be persuaded to eat at all and has to be free fed - he doesn't eat on demand, doesn't recognise meat or wet food as food and I've yet to find any treat he will get excited over.

So I have one cat that lives to eat, and another that (grudgingly) eats to live. I thought about getting a micro-chip activated food dispenser thing except that Fat Bastard is uncannily smart and I think he'd either destroy it, push it to where the dog could get to it (and guarantee its destruction as Dog is also a fellow 'live to eat' aficionado) OR, seriously, learn that it will open when Anorexic Cat goes near it and will lie in wait for him to come along before shoving him out of the way and burying his own fat face in it, while simultaneously Anorexic Cat develops yet another food avoidance complex.

You could try building a box with an opening just narrow enough for Anorexic Cat and put his food inside the box. Some things to keep in mind if you do this:
1) You need a slot to be able to get the food dish in/out without tilting it. Like a prison food slot. (My cat's box has a long T-shaped opening, with the long part just wide enough for her to fit in, and the horizontal part sized just for the food dish).
2) You need to be able to open the box to clean it out because it gets gross.
3) The box has to be deep enough to put the food far enough back that Fat Bastard can't reach in and pull the dish to the entrance.
4) This only works as long as one of your cats is skinny enough to fit but the other isn't. Once Fat Bastard slims down enough to fit into the same-sized opening as Anorexic Cat, you're back to square one.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Psychobabble! posted:

Any tips for a good calorie dense dog food to use as a supplement? My husky, Dorian, is still pretty underweight since we adopted him(he's 33.5 lbs, up from 27), but he's still very thin so we were hoping to find something to add to his food. Like a typical husky he's a very picky eater, so he gets about 2 cups (taste of the wild) plus a can of wet a day(kirkland signature natures domain), split between two meals. In theory I could increase his food but he doesn't even finish this amount often so thats not really an option

Add rice?

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Psychobabble! posted:

Crack an egg in his dry food! Super cheap and easy, most dogs love it. You don't even have to cook it-people are always freaked out about salmonella, but it's really blown out of proportion. Also consider adding coconut oil-high in fats and great for his skin/coat as well. You can buy jars of it at most grocery stores nowadays.

If you're looking for something that's specifically dog food, consider Primal or Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried varieties. It might be expensive, but if you're just using it as a supplement/food topper a small bag can last weeks. Just crumble a bit of it into his wet food. Also, it's recently become pretty easy to get samples of Primal, so just ask your local store if they've got any on-hand. My store has so many we staple them to our deliveries as a bonus.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Tamarillo posted:

I have two cats and a very similar situation. One thing that might work for you is if you feed them dry food, feed less to the fattyfat but ADD water and let it sit for 5 minutes so it looks like there's more. It's also good to try and get as much water as possible into cats, so at the very least he'll be more hydrated. Or maybe try a slow-feed bowl?

Other options might include simply locking skinnybutt into a separate room for half an hour every day/every meal/the times you notice he seems hungriest. He might feel safer eating alone and knowing fattyfat isn't going to swoop in just as he gets his nose in the bowl.

It's a tough problem, good luck!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also, and I may be underestimating the flexibility of cats here, but is fatty cat significantly larger in mass than anorexic cat? If so, then maybe you could try moving furniture/boxes/whatever to make a crawlspace that anorexic cat can get into, but not fatty. Then put the free feed bowl in that space so only the smaller cat can reach it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
More my-cat-is-fat problems!

I guess she's more a former fatty. My vet put her on a diet of one can of wet food a day, and it's worked, more or less. She has a big frame and is still a bit chubby, but much better than she was. Her former owner is a chubby chaser and even commented on my facebook when I posted about her... issue, "But her chub is so cute!"

She's still a fatty on the inside. She has an insane oral fixation to the point where I can't let her in my bedroom at night since she'll lick me awake hourly. She gets insufferable about the drat food; she climbs all over me and licks and licks and anytime I stand up for any reason, she's between and around my ankles such that I can barely walk without stepping on her.

Any ideas/ tips? I've tried both giving her bigger portions less often, and just giving her nibbles more frequently (I'm trying to veer more to the former so as not to encourage the behavior, but it just makes her more irritated/ beggy between feeds).

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

More my-cat-is-fat problems!

I guess she's more a former fatty. My vet put her on a diet of one can of wet food a day, and it's worked, more or less. She has a big frame and is still a bit chubby, but much better than she was. Her former owner is a chubby chaser and even commented on my facebook when I posted about her... issue, "But her chub is so cute!"

She's still a fatty on the inside. She has an insane oral fixation to the point where I can't let her in my bedroom at night since she'll lick me awake hourly. She gets insufferable about the drat food; she climbs all over me and licks and licks and anytime I stand up for any reason, she's between and around my ankles such that I can barely walk without stepping on her.

Any ideas/ tips? I've tried both giving her bigger portions less often, and just giving her nibbles more frequently (I'm trying to veer more to the former so as not to encourage the behavior, but it just makes her more irritated/ beggy between feeds).

I think, like Tamarillo, you might want to consider adding water to her food or investing in a slow-feed bowl. A lot of the problems that come along with reducing your pet's food is that they're not *that* dumb; they can see there's less in the bowl then they remember, and it takes them less time to eat. I'd recommend you try to feed her 2x a day, with water added, and looking for a good-quality wet food that's low in calories but has more mass, if possible. If she'll do a food that's chunky or shredded and requires more effort to eat, I'd try that too. (I like Weruva, btw.) And it couldn't hurt to pick up a drinking fountain to both keep her hydrated and to fill her belly with something other than food. As mentioned before, hydration is key to keeping cats healthy, but also think about what happens when you chug a glass of water before a meal-hopefully, you might be able to trick her into thinking she's fuller than she is.

Maybe consider adding canned pumpkin to her food as well? I'm fairly sure it's low-calorie, but don't quote me on that. It helps with stomach issues and bowel problems, but it might also fill her up.

Keep this in mind: I don't think any of this is going to completely 'cure' your chubster of her behavior issues. This is more about management. My (former) chunky dope is very demanding about food, but he's learned over time that the only time that begging behavior is rewarded is when it's meal time. When I started trying to get his weight down, he was FURIOUS and cried all the time, so I refused to feed him if he was whinging. I mean, I'd let him bitch for an hour and only get out the noms when he'd tired himself out and shut up. Don't reward bad behavior if you can help it.

Also, the licking thing. Just curious, do you use any lotions or perfumes, work with food, etc?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hunh, are there slow feeders for wet food? I've seen little food mazes to make cat work for it, but they only work for dry food.

I'll try the water thing; she doesn't hydrate enough anyway. Pumpkin is a nifty idea, but she's a brutally picky eater (like the fat humans I know, hilariously enough.

I do wear perfume sometimes. It smells like floral rain, but I never put it my wrists. Maybe if I do they'll taste awful and she'll cut it out?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

I never really considered rice because his stool is firm and the last thing his picky rear end self needs is something bland.

porkswordonboard posted:

Crack an egg in his dry food! Super cheap and easy, most dogs love it. You don't even have to cook it-people are always freaked out about salmonella, but it's really blown out of proportion. Also consider adding coconut oil-high in fats and great for his skin/coat as well. You can buy jars of it at most grocery stores nowadays.

If you're looking for something that's specifically dog food, consider Primal or Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried varieties. It might be expensive, but if you're just using it as a supplement/food topper a small bag can last weeks. Just crumble a bit of it into his wet food. Also, it's recently become pretty easy to get samples of Primal, so just ask your local store if they've got any on-hand. My store has so many we staple them to our deliveries as a bonus.

Huh, hadn't considered egg but I'll give it a go! He already gets a fish oil pill at night, I imagine coconut oil wouldn't be too much of a conflict but wanted to ask just in case. How much would you give, like a spoonful? Ive seen the Stella and Chewys before, not the primal, but I'll poke around next time we're dog shopping.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Psychobabble! posted:

Huh, hadn't considered egg but I'll give it a go! He already gets a fish oil pill at night, I imagine coconut oil wouldn't be too much of a conflict but wanted to ask just in case. How much would you give, like a spoonful? Ive seen the Stella and Chewys before, not the primal, but I'll poke around next time we're dog shopping.

If he's already getting fish oil, then I'd hold off on the coconut oil for the time being...last thing you want is oily diarrhea. Or maybe just a very small dose, like a teaspoon or less, in the morning, to see how it goes. Try the egg trick to start, and maybe a little cheese.

Does he like bully sticks or meaty bones? These are also high in fat and calories, and they take time to get through so he'll have something to do. Primal (and other brands) make these great frozen bones with meat and marrow, and since they also help clean teeth you get a 2 for 1 thing going on.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Sydin posted:

Also, and I may be underestimating the flexibility of cats here, but is fatty cat significantly larger in mass than anorexic cat? If so, then maybe you could try moving furniture/boxes/whatever to make a crawlspace that anorexic cat can get into, but not fatty. Then put the free feed bowl in that space so only the smaller cat can reach it.

I wish. Fatsticks (literally what I call him now after his weigh in) is long and leanly proportioned but with a big meatsack stomach of malleable flab which means he can still just kind of ooze through whatever shaped passage presents itself. I tried locking Anorexic Cat in a room but he just cried at the door and shoved his feet under it until I let him out about 20 min later.

My intermediate solution (which is pretty half rear end) is to take the food bowl away for a good part of the day because I at least know the times of day Anorexic Cat will show vague interest in food, but he's still needs it out for a few hours because he won't eat a meals worth. As expected Fatsticks raged out at this development and tore a hole in the new bag of food that was delivered (I found him inside the cardboard box having oozed though a gap in the top, nesting on the bag like a broody hen/fat fucker)

When I am magically made of money I may build Anorexic Cat a food box with a goddamn cat door in it.

E: sadly no, Fatsticks is just as agile as ever. Just with an enormous pendulum of a tummy.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 17, 2016

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
is fatcat less agile than skinnycat? if so put the food on top of something fatcat can't jump on top of but skinnycat can

i think that's what someone in YOSPOS' cat thread did when they had a similar problem (skinny-rear end cat that would barely eat and a fatass that ate everything in the same house)

e: checked, the cathaver is ladyweapon and the cats in question are Tallulah (fatass) and Nermal (skinny fussball who hates eating). http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201527&userid=169957&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

President Ark fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 15, 2016

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
My friend's solution to that was to put the big cat in a more isolated room (one with litterbox) until skinny cat ate. Not ideal at all but skinny cat wont be the one too busy whining to eat, though fat cat may be too distracting to be calm enough to lol. Some cats also need to be pet to stimulate eating and this may mean petting them WHILE they're eating, at least when I worked with them at a shelter though it was usually the older ones that were very stressed so I don't really know if that would help at all here.

:radcat: Cats are fuckin weird

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Tamarillo posted:

I have a similar problem. I feed wet food morning and evenings and dry food in the middle of the day. For wet food, I feed the skinnier cat on a regular plate and put the fat cat's portion in Fun Feeder Mini Mat by Outward Hound. When I feed the fat cat dry food, I put it in a treat ball so he gets exercise. I feed the cats in separate rooms and it seems to work out ok!

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

durrneez posted:

I have a similar problem. I feed wet food morning and evenings and dry food in the middle of the day. For wet food, I feed the skinnier cat on a regular plate and put the fat cat's portion in Fun Feeder Mini Mat by Outward Hound. When I feed the fat cat dry food, I put it in a treat ball so he gets exercise. I feed the cats in separate rooms and it seems to work out ok!

You know, that's a good idea. I have a treat ball, I'd just have to keep it away from the dog. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Today when no cat food was out I caught him scoffing down leftover super spicy Thai green curry. He's indestructible at least.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Dog has been itching like crazy lately without any signs of exterior irritation, so we're chalking it up to a food allergy.

We use Orijen brand, and we're switiching from her chicken/turkey protein kibble to a fish (salmon/herring/"6 fish") protein. Should I still be mindful of a slow rotation if her current food is bothering her? I'm not switching brands and the new protein is still a "basic" protein (to which she's been exposed in the past).

Also, does anybody here recommend more regular diet rotation to try and ward off food allergies?

E: Dr. Karen Becker suggests to alternate food every 3-4 months https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7weEkUuhhk

Poppy Nogood fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 20, 2016

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
There is no way to "ward off" food allergies. They can develop at any time in any animal regardless of how long they've been eating a diet.

Food allergies are way less common than allergies to things in the environment like pollen and dust and fleas, so when changing food flavors doesn't help, that's probably why.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I have a question about the necessity of puppy formula. We adopted a dog recently and we were told she was a year and a few months old, so we weaned her off of the puppy food she was on and are feeding her Merrick Backcountry. Flash forward a month and whoops turns out she's around 9 months old. Should I go back to feeding her a puppy formula? It was much harder to get her to eat chicken based food but if it's better for her I'll make it work.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Edit: nevermind I don't really feel qualified to say.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 7, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
My cats get primarily Indigo Moon kibble available all day from a gravity feeder. Maybe 2x/week they get a canned Natural Balance. Normally, they'll attack the NB and lick all the gravy off it and dig in for a while, but of every can served, usually half will get crusty and be thrown away. On a few occasions, I've given them Friskies brand shreds with cheese, and they basically inhaled it in an hour. The OPs are very clear about canned food being more nutritionally appropriate for cats than dry. My question is: should I ditch the Natural Balance paté entirely, and just give them Friskies? That is to say, is the benefit of more canned food eaten greater than the prospect of that canned food being more like kitty hot pockets and pop tarts? Whatever they don't eat in canned will be made up in Indigo Moon kibble, just wondering if I should ditch the semi-boutique canned that they only eat until the gravy's gone and go instead with the mass-market canned that basically evaporates into their face-holes.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

hogmartin posted:

My cats get primarily Indigo Moon kibble available all day from a gravity feeder. Maybe 2x/week they get a canned Natural Balance. Normally, they'll attack the NB and lick all the gravy off it and dig in for a while, but of every can served, usually half will get crusty and be thrown away. On a few occasions, I've given them Friskies brand shreds with cheese, and they basically inhaled it in an hour. The OPs are very clear about canned food being more nutritionally appropriate for cats than dry. My question is: should I ditch the Natural Balance paté entirely, and just give them Friskies? That is to say, is the benefit of more canned food eaten greater than the prospect of that canned food being more like kitty hot pockets and pop tarts? Whatever they don't eat in canned will be made up in Indigo Moon kibble, just wondering if I should ditch the semi-boutique canned that they only eat until the gravy's gone and go instead with the mass-market canned that basically evaporates into their face-holes.

I had a similar problem with my cats and the solution ended up being ditching free feeding in favor of meals. Have you considered that?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Flying Leatherman posted:

I had a similar problem with my cats and the solution ended up being ditching free feeding in favor of meals. Have you considered that?

I have, but for convenience I haven't implemented it. Sometimes I'll serve half a can and keep the rest in the refrigerator to serve later, which works out OK. Mostly I'm just wondering if it would be better to give them canned kitty junk food that they'll snork down vs. healthier canned stuff that they seem to get bored of, if it means they end up getting a higher ratio of canned to dry?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

hogmartin posted:

I have, but for convenience I haven't implemented it. Sometimes I'll serve half a can and keep the rest in the refrigerator to serve later, which works out OK. Mostly I'm just wondering if it would be better to give them canned kitty junk food that they'll snork down vs. healthier canned stuff that they seem to get bored of, if it means they end up getting a higher ratio of canned to dry?

Have you tried different flavors of Nature's Balance? My cats are jerks and don't consistently clean their plates unless it's fish.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Reik posted:

Have you tried different flavors of Nature's Balance? My cats are jerks and don't consistently clean their plates unless it's fish.
Good question, from what I can tell, it isn't the flavor, it's the texture. I've given them several brands of canned food, and they consistently lick the gravy off paté and then get bored, but they go nuts over flake and shred varieties. I just haven't come across any brands that do anything but paté except for e.g. Friskies. If I could find canned Natural Balance shreds, I don't think the question would have even come up, they'd be eating it happily right now.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

hogmartin posted:

Good question, from what I can tell, it isn't the flavor, it's the texture. I've given them several brands of canned food, and they consistently lick the gravy off paté and then get bored, but they go nuts over flake and shred varieties. I just haven't come across any brands that do anything but paté except for e.g. Friskies. If I could find canned Natural Balance shreds, I don't think the question would have even come up, they'd be eating it happily right now.

Wellness makes several kinds of 5.5oz cans containing shredded foods. The core line of new products looks very good and I'm thinking of switching my cat over to them. My cat kinda as a similar problem in that he won't eat paté, he wants something to chew. So I've been feeding him Merrick Purrfect Bistro Gourmet Shreds in the 3oz plastic containers. He loves the stuff so much I have to feed him in 3 small portions every 5 minutes otherwise he eats it so fast that he sometimes gets hiccups and vomits.

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 9, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Da Mott Man posted:

Wellness makes several kinds of canned 5.5oz cans containing shredded foods. The core line of new products looks very good and I'm thinking of switching my cat over to them. My cat kinda as a similar problem in that he won't eat paté, he wants something to chew. So I've been feeding him Merrick Purrfect Bistro Gourmet Shreds in the 3oz plastic containers. He loves the stuff so much I have to feed him in 3 small portions every 5 minutes otherwise he eats it so fast that he sometimes gets hiccups and vomits.

I'll give those a try, thanks!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Does size of the kibble matter? I've been feeding my Irish Wolfhound puppy Fromm Four Star Beef Frittata Veg because it is well rated, meets the lower calcium amount that I hear is important for giant breeds, is for "all life stages" and it's available at a few stores near me at a price that I can afford (though it's on the high end). My dog seems to be doing great on it. The individual pieces of food are very small though and I'm worried that when he's 150 lbs that might be a problem...

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

Wellness has a small minced range of wet food. My cat inhales meow mix wet food, and Wellness minced has a similar texture. I've experienced a significant reduction in premium wet food waste since switching to the minced variety.

I also free feed grain-free kibble. I found that if I feed only a spoonful of wet at a time, my cat is much more likely to finish his entire portion rather than licking away the gravy and leaving the rest to dry out.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Tree Dude posted:

Does size of the kibble matter? I've been feeding my Irish Wolfhound puppy Fromm Four Star Beef Frittata Veg because it is well rated, meets the lower calcium amount that I hear is important for giant breeds, is for "all life stages" and it's available at a few stores near me at a price that I can afford (though it's on the high end). My dog seems to be doing great on it. The individual pieces of food are very small though and I'm worried that when he's 150 lbs that might be a problem...

I've never had any issues with small kibble for large dogs. They might inhale it a tiny bit faster, but if you're really worried about it you could buy a slow feeder bowl or some such. Fromm is an excellent brand, and I personally wouldn't switch-it especially if your dog does well on it.

P.S. on the price thing: If you're not already doing it, take advantage of their frequent buyer program. It's great in that the bag you buy most frequently is the bag you get for free, so even if you had to pick up an emergency 4lb bag it wouldn't gently caress things up.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

http://imgur.com/a/ZNbTq

Got her from the shelter earlier this week, how does she look weightwise? We're going to the vet for spade/rabies/general checkup stuff this wednesday so I can find out for sure then but in the meantime I figured I'd ask here.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Carmant posted:

http://imgur.com/a/ZNbTq

Got her from the shelter earlier this week, how does she look weightwise? We're going to the vet for spade/rabies/general checkup stuff this wednesday so I can find out for sure then but in the meantime I figured I'd ask here.

She's not fat by any means but she could probably stand to lose a couple pounds, she's in decent shape but she's got some love handles going on. She could probably benefit from adding on some muscle too. By the time she exercises enough to get some muscles that should take care of the love handles :)

Tree Dude posted:

I don't think the kibble size matters. If you're worried about him inhaling it I'm a big fan of the Kong Wobbler for making them take their time to eat their meals since it only spits out a few kibbles at a time with each whack.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yesterday I got the news that my kitty is starting to suffer from renal failure. :( The good news is that it seems to be in the early stages, and the vet suggested the best thing for now would be a diet adjustment.

I was given several different prescription cat foods (all wet) to try out, as some cats like one more than others. I was wondering if anyone here knew if one is better quality overall, or if there's another brand I wasn't prescribed that I should seek out.

I got prescriptions for:

-Hills Feline K/D
-Royal Canine Feline Renal Support-D
-Royal Canine Feline Renal Support-E

I noticed the Hills K/D also came in a couple of flavors such as chicken and "ocean fish." Like I said, my cat doesn't discriminate what's in her bowl, so if any one is better health-wise than the others, I'd love to know!

Edit: Of course right after I make this post I open up a can of RC Support-D, and after a couple of licks, my cat gave me a :frogout: stare

Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 24, 2016

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Ballz posted:

Yesterday I got the news that my kitty is starting to suffer from renal failure. :( The good news is that it seems to be in the early stages, and the vet suggested the best thing for now would be a diet adjustment.

I was given several different prescription cat foods (all wet) to try out, as some cats like one more than others. I was wondering if anyone here knew if one is better quality overall, or if there's another brand I wasn't prescribed that I should seek out.

I got prescriptions for:

-Hills Feline K/D
-Royal Canine Feline Renal Support-D
-Royal Canine Feline Renal Support-E

I noticed the Hills K/D also came in a couple of flavors such as chicken and "ocean fish." Like I said, my cat doesn't discriminate what's in her bowl, so if any one is better health-wise than the others, I'd love to know!

Edit: Of course right after I make this post I open up a can of RC Support-D, and after a couple of licks, my cat gave me a :frogout: stare

I give them a mix of the 2 different renal cans just to mix it up so they can be happy. I.e. I switch up days. One one day the other the next day and so on. They like both. I haven't tried the fish one though, I use the chicken flavor. I use:
hills k/d chicken
RC E
the RC D says on the package it should only be used for a treat so I don't give it that often.

Ask your vet if they want you to add low sodium chicken broth to the food, my vet suggested it so i get one from Trader Joes which is 1.99 and lasts ~2 weeks. It helps them get more water into their system which is important with kidney stuff.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 25, 2016

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
One of my two 3 year old cats is having urinary crystal issues recently and he's been to the vet a few times to try and get it worked out. I just got some samples of Hills c/d dry food which honestly looks like garbage when reading the ingredient list, a couple cans of the c/d wet canned food, and a can of a newer supposedly higher quality stew type Hill's c/d wet food which still has wheat and rice in the first 6 ingredients which leads me to believe it's not the best quality either. :( Right now he and his brother eat the nature's variety dry chicken food and we give them the wet food every couple days or so as well.

I've been feeding my cats nature's variety dry and wet food their whole lives and I'm worried that my cat is going to have to suffer nutritionally now because of his crystal problem. They also said I could do royal canin wet food as well but they didn't have any at the vet for me to try. I also feel like I should have just put them both on pure canned food since they were little and maybe my cat wouldn't have had this problem in the first place. :smith: I know that if a cat needs a prescription diet then you should give it to them but I feel incredibly guilty feeding my cats poor quality food anyway.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Don't sweat it too much. :) FWIW I have a cat with crystals and I split his feedings between Royal Canin dry in the morning and canned fancy feast at night because he won't touch the royal canin crystals wet food. While it isn't great and I'd rather feed him something better, it's miles better than what he was on originally (9 lives) and he does really well on it. He stopped feeling like a weird greasy goon at all the time and is actually pleasant to pet and he stopped smelling weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I use Royal Canin s/o dry food and wet food also, I mix it up on scheduled meals, sometimes wet sometimes dry. Keeps it interesting. RC It smells way better than Hills, sometimes I want to eat it :ninja: seriously though my cats are fine on it, it's been ~4 years and he's happier than ever.

Oh and you can get them all at PetsMart if it had a Banfield in it! Just bring in a script from your vet.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 27, 2016