Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

:dukedoge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
This may sound like a ridiculous question but how much pleasure and satisfaction am I missing out on by gaming at 60hz and 1080p?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

objects in mirror posted:

This may sound like a ridiculous question but how much pleasure and satisfaction am I missing out on by gaming at 60hz and 1080p?

Are you having fun?

How much are you prepared to spend on your computer?

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

xthetenth posted:

Are you having fun?

How much are you prepared to spend on your computer?

My situation is that I use a vizio tv that's 1080p from a couch, and I love the large display...it makes things really immersive. However it's a bit unpractical to upgrade without sacrifices as the only TV sets that offer 120hz refresh rate from PC input are only at 1080p, and driving a 4k set isn't yet feasible on a single GPU. Considering just holding on to my 770 and getting a 4k set along with the 1080ti whenever the latter comes out.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

My situation is that I use a vizio tv that's 1080p from a couch, and I love the large display...it makes things really immersive. However it's a bit unpractical to upgrade without sacrifices as the only TV sets that offer 120hz refresh rate from PC input are only at 1080p, and driving a 4k set isn't yet feasible on a single GPU. Considering just holding on to my 770 and getting a 4k set along with the 1080ti whenever the latter comes out.

How big and close is that monitor? Because one thing that might work is the Wasabi Mango that's 4K, 40+" and only 60 Hz but has freesync. That's the main thing I can think of that would offer an upgrade, but it might not be right for you and especially your GPU budget.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
1440p seems to be the next "node" in resolution that everyone's going to, and high refresh rate 1080p screens are somewhat popular too.

The issue is that they're intended as computer monitors, not TVs, so the size isn't going to be huge.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

xthetenth posted:

How big and close is that monitor? Because one thing that might work is the Wasabi Mango that's 4K, 40+" and only 60 Hz but has freesync. That's the main thing I can think of that would offer an upgrade, but it might not be right for you and especially your GPU budget.

It's 50 inches, and I guess I'm 6 feet away. And I actually just sit behind a desk to use it. It's very indulgent but very immersive too.

PerrineClostermann posted:

1440p seems to be the next "node" in resolution that everyone's going to, and high refresh rate 1080p screens are somewhat popular too.

Really? Because the impression I'm getting is that it's going to be 4k, perhaps starting in the next GPU generation after Pascal/Polaris, perhaps abetted by cheaper and cheaper TV sets being 4k and co-functional as monitors. There will be an industry wide panel-manufacturer convergence on 4k and 1440p will be skipped.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
1440p might be skipped in TV-land, which previously solidified on 720 and 1080, but computers can go anywhere and much more hardware exists for 60fps gaming at 1440p than at 4k.

4k might be the next resolution when displays stagnate, like what happened with 1080p, but 1440p is definitely the sweetspot for higher-than-1080p, other than ultrawides.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I've never seen a 1440p, they went right from 1080p to 4k displays and 4k TVs are coming down in price so someone making a 1440p TV would be really weird.

Ok that's just silly.

Probably amazing to use, but silly.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

That really begs for some good software to manage putting windows in columns.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The BenQ XR3501 or the AOC C3583FQ might be perfect for you, actually

It's "only" 1080 vertical, but the massive size, ultra-wide aspect ratio, curve, high refresh, and MVA color makes it much better than a standard 1080p screen

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 11, 2016

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just grabbed a 27" LG 4k (being the cheapest IPS model available)

First impressions are drat it's set bright out of the box (100%) but after knocking that down to 25% it looks pretty great to me without any further tweaking. Plenty of IPS glow of course but there doesn't seem to be any bleed to speak of which is nice (on of my old monitors had it bad in one corner)

Coming from dual U2412Ms it certainly saves a lot of desk space and looks nice but that stand sucks and not having a built in USB hub is kind of a bummer. Still in my opinion that's definitely the right place to be skimping.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
UWD is perfect for movies (at least those in 2.35:1), but not everyone likes to watch movies at their desk.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's also pretty awesome for games and general workspace :colbert:

It's like two 1280x1024 screens in one!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've never seen a 1440p, they went right from 1080p to 4k displays and 4k TVs are coming down in price so someone making a 1440p TV would be really weird.

There is no 1440P content, so no one would ever make a 1440P TV.

Just like how HDTV and above resolutions were available for CRT monitors before HDTV's were even a thing, but no one made HDTV's until there was a commitment to the content.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I dug my old Samsung 940bw out of storage yesterday to use as a secondary monitor, but I can't get it to display it's native resolution of 1440x900. I got the last drivers from Samsung, but that res still isn't an option for that screen. Any ideas? It's vga plugged in via a dvi adapter if that matters.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do these ultrawide monitors have some kind of input mode where it can trick the GPU into thinking the monitor contains 2x monitors at the hardware level? Just wondering cause from my experience a lot of games will just take up the entire monitor no matter what resolution setting you put in. Having a 32:9 ultrawide or whatever seems nice for the lack of bezels and such but not if my game only supports 16:9 and blackbars the rest of the screen. Something like that Dell 4k monitor that was posted that can trick the computer into thinking it's 4 separate monitors for example for when the game doesn't want to play nice.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do these ultrawide monitors have some kind of input mode where it can trick the GPU into thinking the monitor contains 2x monitors at the hardware level? Just wondering cause from my experience a lot of games will just take up the entire monitor no matter what resolution setting you put in. Having a 32:9 ultrawide or whatever seems nice for the lack of bezels and such but not if my game only supports 16:9 and blackbars the rest of the screen. Something like that Dell 4k monitor that was posted that can trick the computer into thinking it's 4 separate monitors for example for when the game doesn't want to play nice.

Some of them do. I believe my 21:9 can handle each HDMI connection as its own separate display. It's usually called "Picture Beside Picture" or something similar.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's also pretty awesome for games and general workspace :colbert:

It's like two 1280x1024 screens in one!

This.

I have come to love my ultrawide. It's a really wonderful ratio. That super duper ultra ultrawide up there is crazy, but probably gorgeous.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Subjective, but if I have two monitors with near identical specs (refresh rate, resolution) and one is 1ms TN and the other is 4ms IPS, which should I go for? For gaming, mostly. I currently game on a 1ms monitor but at 60Hz not 144.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

sout posted:

Subjective, but if I have two monitors with near identical specs (refresh rate, resolution) and one is 1ms TN and the other is 4ms IPS, which should I go for? For gaming, mostly. I currently game on a 1ms monitor but at 60Hz not 144.

The IPS, the difference between 4ms and 1ms is mostly unnoticeable, the difference between both contrast and color on an IPS screen vs a TN one is very noticeable, the IPS one gets much better viewing angles to boot.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Massdrop has the 27UD68P-B for $400 right now.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-27-4k-freesync-monitor-27ud68p-b

Would I be better off getting 3 of those or 2 34" ultrawides? I'm going to be using this for game design, mostly (coding, 3d modeling, texture artwork), but also doing some moderate gaming on it. My one concern is that my desk is huge, so my head is 3.5 - 4 ft away, and I'm worried about everything being too teeny-tiny. I'm using a 40" 1080p TV right now, which isn't the best solution for desktop use.

If I get the 4k's, I'll also need to upgrade my GPU to something with DP right away instead of waiting. Would a GTX1080 be enough for moderate 3-screen gaming?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

KillHour posted:

Massdrop has the 27UD68P-B for $400 right now.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-27-4k-freesync-monitor-27ud68p-b

Would I be better off getting 3 of those or 2 34" ultrawides? I'm going to be using this for game design, mostly (coding, 3d modeling, texture artwork), but also doing some moderate gaming on it. My one concern is that my desk is huge, so my head is 3.5 - 4 ft away, and I'm worried about everything being too teeny-tiny. I'm using a 40" 1080p TV right now, which isn't the best solution for desktop use.

If I get the 4k's, I'll also need to upgrade my GPU to something with DP right away instead of waiting. Would a GTX1080 be enough for moderate 3-screen gaming?

A 1080 can just about push 4k at decent frame rates, but not 3x4k, personally I would go with the three 4k screens and just game on one of them with a 1080, two ultrawides makes my neck hurt just thinking about it. I would also think about one of the 40" 4k screens plus a couple smaller ones in portrait mode to either side, that seems like it would offer a ton of space and resolution while being big enough that being 3.5'-4' away would not make things look tiny.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

A 1080 can just about push 4k at decent frame rates, but not 3x4k, personally I would go with the three 4k screens and just game on one of them with a 1080, two ultrawides makes my neck hurt just thinking about it. I would also think about one of the 40" 4k screens plus a couple smaller ones in portrait mode to either side, that seems like it would offer a ton of space and resolution while being big enough that being 3.5'-4' away would not make things look tiny.

I would probably game in surround @ 1080p. I mostly play driving sims, so surround is REALLY appealing to me.

Also, the ultrawide is almost an inch taller and has a lower native DPI, which is probably good for the distance.

The fact that my existing GPU could drive the ultrawides with HDMI instead of dropping another 700+ also makes me feel better cash-wise (I only have 1 DP output).

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 11, 2016

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
As someone who has a 43" 4K TV as a monitor, it is a mixed experience. It kind of sucks for any kind of gaming that requires lots of fast awareness of your surrounding while playing with keyboard and mouse. I have a small desk, so it's hard to get it far enough back to be comfortable to play Overwatch or anything like that. Otherwise, it's amazing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I guess I should also ask if that Massdrop is a good price. It seems like it is, but if there is a better deal on a similar monitor (or if ultrawides are cheaper), I'm all ears.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The IPS, the difference between 4ms and 1ms is mostly unnoticeable, the difference between both contrast and color on an IPS screen vs a TN one is very noticeable, the IPS one gets much better viewing angles to boot.

Also worth pointing out that those numbers are the panel's response time, but what you really care about is the display lag, which includes all the delay from the monitor's internal processing. It's conceivable that some IPS monitor could have less display lag than some TN monitor even if it has a higher response time.

I don't think response time numbers are comparable between manufacturers either? They're all gray to gray but they never say which gray to gray.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Sinestro posted:

As someone who has a 43" 4K TV as a monitor, it is a mixed experience. It kind of sucks for any kind of gaming that requires lots of fast awareness of your surrounding while playing with keyboard and mouse. I have a small desk, so it's hard to get it far enough back to be comfortable to play Overwatch or anything like that. Otherwise, it's amazing.

Have you tried a 1:1 mapped custom resolution? I.E. with black borders? I think 1440p on that display, 1:1, would be somewhere in between a 24-27" diagonal

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Would running a 4K display at 1080 look as good a a native 1080 monitor of the same size? A 4K desktop might be nice but there's no way laptop GPUs can play games in 4K anytime soon.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
That mass drop deal is super tempting. These normally go for about $500, so you are saving about anywhere from $50 to $100 depending on sales at other sites. The only thing really holding me back is the lack of reviews for this monitor. Can't seem to find anything other than a basic run down of specs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ynglaur posted:

Would running a 4K display at 1080 look as good a a native 1080 monitor of the same size? A 4K desktop might be nice but there's no way laptop GPUs can play games in 4K anytime soon.

No but it's perfectly usable for games unless you're playing something that has lots of small text

The additional usability on the desktop more than makes up for it for me.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Can someone recommend a monitor for a R9 390? Can it run a 1440 fine or should I stick with 1080 144hz?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

im gay posted:

Can someone recommend a monitor for a R9 390? Can it run a 1440 fine or should I stick with 1080 144hz?

The LG 21:9 29" 2560x1080 IPS Freesync monitor is what I use. The ultrawide ratio is great for gaming and movies, and it does Freesync up to 75hz, and runs under $300 shipped. I'm using a R9 390 to play Dark Souls 3 on it at 21:9 right now and it's great.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zero VGS posted:

The LG 21:9 29" 2560x1080 IPS Freesync monitor is what I use. The ultrawide ratio is great for gaming and movies, and it does Freesync up to 75hz, and runs under $300 shipped. I'm using a R9 390 to play Dark Souls 3 on it at 21:9 right now and it's great.

The current model of this is the 29UM67-P, if I'm not mistaken.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
That's tempting. Cheap too. Hate being inbetween the 1440p and 144hz cycle though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

im gay posted:

That's tempting. Cheap too. Hate being inbetween the 1440p and 144hz cycle though.

I'd pick based on what sort of games I play more, like for me I play slower paced stuff for the most part so I went with a nice 60Hz IPS.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd pick based on what sort of games I play more, like for me I play slower paced stuff for the most part so I went with a nice 60Hz IPS.

I play mainly competitive games, Dota, CS. Anything you recommend?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

im gay posted:

I play mainly competitive games, Dota, CS. Anything you recommend?

Counter strike suggests a high refresh rate

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I was looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-Monitor-Supported-seamless/dp/B00ITORITU?ie=UTF8&tag=amazon0606-20

It seems like the go-to for competitive type games. Do I miss anything for not having FreeSync?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

im gay posted:

I was looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-Monitor-Supported-seamless/dp/B00ITORITU?ie=UTF8&tag=amazon0606-20

It seems like the go-to for competitive type games. Do I miss anything for not having FreeSync?

Yeah, you do, Freesync is very nice to have. Here is a nice monitor that is 144Hz and has free sync: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/f3tWGX/nixeus-monitor-nxvue24a

It got a pretty positive review from someone who I trust: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJsskZpWzGw