Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Still need to have our Skippy / Sebring / Night race too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
we also need to try a bunch of the new dirt track cars that we'll hopefully get on road tracks as well; since I'd guess that they'd drive like the Late Model and that's great fun

I've been doing a fair bit of Week 13 Street Stocks on big Charlotte because I'm in need of SR and its amazing just how much some people somehow manage to consistently lose SR at possibly the easiest car/track combo to get SR at. Like I've managed to gain a point of SR and about 200 IR by running carefully and keeping an eye on my surroundings while still actually racing people; while these other people who're "only here for SR" manage to be involved in accidents every race. Its interesting when you end up in the same split as them for a few races in a row as well; you hear them getting more and more angry about things, and then they get really annoyed at anyone who's anywhere near them on a track - there was a guy who I was racing with in a fair few races ended up in a situation where he was totally hosed (stick in the inside between two cars who gave him no room at all, ended up hitting the outside car) and then ended up being wrecked by him afterward because "you gave me a 4x!!!" which was really quite funny since a 4x doesn't actually cause you to lose SR by itself. I don't understand how you can get that angry at a racing video game; especially one where the next full online race is about twenty minutes away - maybe if someone totally hosed you over a long way into a long race when you were leading; even then payback just seems pointless. I find that racing while being angry is near good anyway; because then you end up doing stupid overaggressive poo poo and then not recognising that you're at fault.

BTW its Oxford Plains Street Stocks tomorrow; that's usually a good one to spectate lower splits in; its almost as good as Charlotte Legends is. If anyone wants to laugh at dumb drivers, I'll be around...

I think "I'm only here for SR" is a phrase that you should listen for and remember the drivers name who said it; its as much a red flag as Red Bull or Jeff Gordon paint schemes are...

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
"I'm only here for SR" is code for I race like a moron usually and that I am stating my intentions are to be ultra safe but I probably don't actual know what I am doing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That's code for they are a slow coward that will wreck you if you get close.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Oxford plains is a lovely track in late models, especially with Laps traffic.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Norns posted:

That's code for they are a slow coward that will wreck you if you get close.

And you will get close because you'll lap them 5 times in the race.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

They're often overly cautious; which really doesn't help at all on ovals where that can actually cause wrecks. Its also the perfect way of tanking your IR; which just puts you in the idiot splits and that tanks your SR again. Like I've been racing for SR; what I've been doing is racing like I normally do; but when there's a decision that I have to make I always tend for the safest decision which probably cost me some spots but keeps me in the race - things like backing out when you're in the middle three wide, that sort of thing. The people who seem to have the biggest SR problems are those that don't qualify and start from mid pack; I qualified and always start from the first few rows and that makes things much, much easier. Its also funner when you do that; generally the front pack has sensible people in it and you can actually have some good racing rather than just worry about the inevitable wrecks.

Again its interesting when you're in the same split with someone for a bunch of races in short succession; you begin to notice that they're in every wreck and start the next race with a passive-egressive "hopefully for the first time in ten races I can get through a race without losing SR!!!" and then get confused when people ask them why they are running Week 13 Street Stocks and not one of the fun series...

BTW Street Stocks at Charlotte are actually surprisingly good now; its a big plate like but the outside actually works (and is probably the best line if people would actually try running it); and the tyres also fall off which makes it that bit more interesting. That's assuming you get a race of people who know how to race that sort of race though...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My Pickup Cup races this week say no-one knows how drafting works. Was working with a dude to catch the lead pack after a slow start when another dude got up to us and tried going under the line on the back stretch to pass and ended up nudging my rear corner and spinning me out.

Also had a dude go off on me because I went 3 wide on the last lap to try and win it in another race.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Goetta posted:

"I'm only here for SR" is code for I race like a moron usually and that I am stating my intentions are to be ultra safe but I probably don't actual know what I am doing.

Its pretty much meme status now

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The last time I got someone pissed at me was in a Dallara dash race at Charlotte. Moved from lane 3 to 2 on the front stretch, and the driver in lane one overreacted and threw his car in the dirt. The guy still had plenty of space.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sharing my new wheel experience.
T300rs upgraded from dfgt.

The force feedback will take some time to figure out, it's nowhere near as "knockey" as the dfgt but I also feel like I get better Controll, I was able to save 3 spins in practice, never once have I been able to with my dfgt.

The pedals aren't as lovely as I thought they would be but the springs are wayyyyy too heavy for them. I'm going to look Into a way to keep the pedals down, if I gas and brake at the same time they just flip up brake as has a decent dead zone that I'm not a huge fan of.

I'm going to also miss the sequential shift knob, I plan on grabbing an actual shifter eventually but will need a better stand then.

I imagined the belt drive being 100% smooth but that's not the case there is still a bit of a "geary" feeling but it's minimal and nothing like the dfgt it also doesn't go Kachunka chunka clack clack... which is really nice.

Well see once in re train myself how I think it feels. I want to run bumpy daytona with ir and see how the road feel is, it feels more subdued compared to the dfgt.

I also need to figure out how I want to mount to my wheel stand, I may end up doing some Carpentry, or something to modify my current stand I really don't want to desk mount it I think it may be too big,

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Goetta posted:

People who are "just here for SR" drive super slow and "cautious".

Cars that drive super slow will much more frequently come into close proximity on the track with other cars, who are there to race, overtaking and lapping them. This is compounded when the Just Here For SR driver slows down excessively for one driver only for that slow-down to put them within reach of the next driver back, leading them to slow down again for that driver, putting them within reach of the next driver, causing them to slow down [repeat ad infinitum]

A racing driver approaching a slower car on track needs to be able to predict where and when an overtake will happen in order to execute the overtake successfully and safely. Because the "Just Here For SR" player is driving super slow compared to actual racers, the closing speed of overtakers to the Just Here For SR driver is unexpectedly high. If they are also jumping out of the way of faster traffic and deviating from the racing line they will often put their car in unexpected parts of the racetrack, including the parts that the overtaking driver intended to use themselves for the overtake.

Slow "cautious" driving can be just as dangerous as flat out racing, because a driver will rarely run their practise sessions at cautious speeds so are not familiar with how the car will behave in the corner at a reduced speed. Additionally, depending on the car or track, slow "cautious" driving can lead to low tyre temperatures, throttle-off oversteer, etc.

tl:dr Safe is Fast.

Xadus
Nov 21, 2014
anyone have a 50% code? I would like to get back in to iRacing.

It has been some time. But do like the game.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Anyone notice framerate improvements after the update? I majorly messed with my settings when trying to stream the Ring, so I don't really have a good before/after comparison. I was able to turn up AA/AF in Nvidia Inspector higher than I have before, but I also haven't been in heavily populated sessions yet so it might not perform as well with a full session.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
"Only here for SR" talk reminds me of Clive from a Proto/GT race I was in 4+ years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx6NtjSHT9Q

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

can't say that I have noticed any incresee in frame rate casfeacemageeeeee I know that when running Identity crisis, every time someone joins warm-up e for the race session I get a stutter which really sucks going into the turn

I honestly wish that they'd do more tracks in ID crisis, it' so much fun, either when it turns into a shitfest of wreck avoidance, or when you are legit trying to beat the other truck and hope you can hold the lead car off after they pit. It' sooo much friggging fun, probably the most fun I"ve had at an oval race in awhile.

Also Charlottte mid afternoon is way better for tires, It takes a LOT of hard laps to take the tires down instead of night, where 4 "hotlap" pace laps make your tires as useful as a kickstand on a tank.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

I'm starting to get a better feel for painting cars with GIMP so I spent much of yesterday doing that instead of racing.

The HPD skin is a pain in the rear end to match up patterns because there's bits of aero all over the place, I cheated and modified one of the base paints:

I got the metallic layers from the painting forum working and they look awesome so did a Corvette C6R scheme inspired by the Flying Lizards Porsche/Audi:

Then turned the metallics up to eleven and played with the blending tool a bit and ended up with a GT3 Merc straight outta Fukushima.

:catdrugs::pcgaming::krad:

I wasn't going to run GT3s this upcoming season but that Merc is so awesome that I think I'm going to drive it in IMSA after all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Please get that Merc skin on Trading Paints so I can run it in BSS.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
holy god drat that vette one is really good.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

njsykora posted:

Please get that Merc skin on Trading Paints so I can run it in BSS.

http://www.tradingpaints.com/showroom/view/62655/Radioactive-Mercedes

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Merc livery is dope. I find it hard to not race fizzy drink cars though.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Merc livery owns.

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general
They are all pretty sweet

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general
Those of you who run with trading paints, what % of iracers would you say are using it? It sounds fun to make my own paints but not sure I'd put in the effort if only a few people would ever notice

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A lot of people run it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

General RAARGH posted:

Those of you who run with trading paints, what % of iracers would you say are using it? It sounds fun to make my own paints but not sure I'd put in the effort if only a few people would ever notice

A lot of people use it. It's a good way to spot poo poo drivers.

Hint: they run redbull and talk about SR a lot.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

A lot of people use it. It's a good way to spot poo poo drivers.

Hint: they run redbull and talk about SR a lot.

Also F1 liveries.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am so over the moon happy to see that other people recognize the same issues with "safe" drivers that I do. That HPD driver video was a great example. Thinks he's going slow and safe, absolutely no clue about the mayhem he's creating.

As an oval racer, it's always a joy when someone in the 4th row decides to run at 80% throttle and goes the rest of his life never knowing that the wreck the guy in 15th place had was a direct result of that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Running for sr makes absolutely no sense. The point of racing is to race. If you have to do races (especially in an hpd) where you just drive slow and "safe," then you are a bad driver to begin with and you need to focus on getting better, rather than trying to pad your SR to prevent being demoted, which you should be.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I use endurance events to boost SR, but that is a side effect and not the ultimate goal of the event. In a sprint race, I am going as fast as I can, so my SR tends to decrease slightly. In endurance races, survival is more important than raw speed - our MX-5 'Ring race is an extreme example of this, even though we were the fastest car on track anyway. By focusing on the long run, your SR inherently will go up, unless you are intentionally wrecking to trigger repairs.

Doing a short race way off the pace to increase SR is really dumb. If you intentionally give up positions easily but still stay at race pace, that's fine, but if you can't keep up you need to be doing practices or using a different car.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And it steals the fun of other people too when you just let everyone past rather than put up a fight and battle for position. Ovals especially need more people to be comfortable driving around other cars.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

If you completely absolutely totally have to "drive for SR" for some reason, the best least bad way is to start the race from the pit lane so that you're half a lap away from the rest of the field, and then race balls to the wall as fast as everyone else.

I mean it's still a bad idea but less bad than derping around at 70% pace like an idiot.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The only time I've "for sr'd" it is to get that last tenth or something at week 13.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Helicon One posted:

If you completely absolutely totally have to "drive for SR" for some reason, the best least bad way is to start the race from the pit lane so that you're half a lap away from the rest of the field, and then race balls to the wall as fast as everyone else.

I mean it's still a bad idea but less bad than derping around at 70% pace like an idiot.

Or do time trials?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Time trials only count at 50% or so. That would be a total waste of time.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I got a point of SR back from running a few hours of Charlotte Street Stocks without losing IR in any race, its not exactly that hard to do. The safest place to be is either up front or at the back of the lead pack, running with people that you think you can trust and that's something that you can roughly tell after a few laps. That way you're having fun while not risking losing SR. Its all about awareness, if you see someone doing stuff that you aren't comfortable with then you get away from them as safely as you can - that's standard oval racing protocol though.

I just remembered one thing that almost did me in last night though; in one race where I ended up by myself early (got loose off of four, just gassed it down onto the infield rather than risk the field) I almost got done in my a "just here for SR!!" person who you running the oddest line - running down by the line on the straights, but a groove up in the turns. I prefer the high line there, pulled alongside him on the outside and got a "why are you passing me there you idiot, I'm giving you the low line!!!" in response. The guy went on and on about it for a few minutes even after I explained that I preferred the high line, and that its safer to just run a consistent line rather than one where you're trying to help people since then faster cars know what you're doing - this all for something where no one lost anything.

A few races later he was in my split again and got involved in your standard Charlotte Street Stock wreck (he was on the inside, ended up getting in to the car on the outside off of a corner and wrecked, guy on the outside maybe had a half car length up to the outside wall), then came back out of the pits just to get payback and ended up wrecking a pack of cars, which is always dumb but especially so when you're hunting for SR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He hit someone and crashed and then tried to get payback against that person?

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

This is how it's done

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

He hit someone and crashed and then tried to get payback against that person?

yep, while that person was in a big pack of cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

I did a street stock race at Oxford this afternoon and the podium finishers were a Brit (me) and two Canadians.

Good Ole Boys need to up their game.

• Locked thread