Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

bbcisdabomb posted:

Quotin myself to say stuffed eggplants don't have FMC, but vanilla foods do, so making bread is good for 25/FMC each - using a SAG mill and running that flour through a redstone furnace with the food doubler upgrade means each wheat is worth 100FMC for a bit of RF.

Gunpowder is also 500, so a few upgrades on your production chain can really get some income there. It's significantly cheaper than all the redstone you need for a Extra Utilities cobblegen, too.

How are you getting gunpowder from Cobble?

I'm about to setup an endergenic setup for RF, so I'll be swimming in it. Got a fluxedcrystals setup generating ender pearls as well - so I might just setup an ore laser? Otherwise maybe batteries/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

This is a pretty succinct explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pftQe--Q0w&t=97s

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks! Didn't realize the crusher from flint was the key.

Is there a way to generate experience effectively in Ferret Business (or just with any of the big mods?)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Usually some sort of monster spawn loop pushing them to IIRC Extra Utility spikes and the experience orbs collected in some fashion (MFR sewers, thaumcraft brains-in-jars, etc).

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Sage Grimm posted:

Usually some sort of monster spawn loop pushing them to IIRC Extra Utility spikes and the experience orbs collected in some fashion (MFR sewers, thaumcraft brains-in-jars, etc).

Alright. Will try and remember how to set up a spawner system :\ Cursed Earth has spoiled me. Might make a trip into that roguelike dungeon.

Uhhhhh. huh. So I was getting a ton of lag near my original base, thought it was something to do with the roguelike dungeons...it apparently wasn't.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 10, 2016

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Falcon2001 posted:

Alright. Will try and remember how to set up a spawner system :\ Cursed Earth has spoiled me. Might make a trip into that roguelike dungeon.

Precision sawmill to get sawdust, four sawdust per cardboard box. Get two smallish backpacks, fill one with the empty boxes and use the other for holding the boxed spawners. When you get to the roguelike dungeon, box up all the spawners and put them in the floor of your spawn room. Run redstone lamps in the ceiling so you can stop the spawners whenever you want. Hook up Openblocks fans along the walls to push everything into the range of the grinder/spike/other killer.

If you can hold off until the lower levels of the dungeon, there are probably a few creeper and enderman spawners to grab, and maybe even a blaze spawner. You'll get plenty of skeleton and zombie spawners in the upper level.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Falcon2001 posted:

Uhhhhh. huh. So I was getting a ton of lag near my original base, thought it was something to do with the roguelike dungeons...it apparently wasn't.

Dump them into a smeltery and render them down for glue emeralds.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I noticed that Minecraft has updated to 1.10 now. My server is on 1.7.10 still, and seeing the update has me feeling a bit like we're behind the times. What's the state of mods past 1.7.10? I remember hearing something about how lots of modders weren't updating past that due to changes made to the game that made it more difficult for the mods to be updated. Has that hurdle been jumped yet, or are people still stuck on 1.7.10?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

neogeo0823 posted:

I noticed that Minecraft has updated to 1.10 now. My server is on 1.7.10 still, and seeing the update has me feeling a bit like we're behind the times. What's the state of mods past 1.7.10? I remember hearing something about how lots of modders weren't updating past that due to changes made to the game that made it more difficult for the mods to be updated. Has that hurdle been jumped yet, or are people still stuck on 1.7.10?

It's really slow going. Of the tech mods that are worth anything, at least EnderIO and RFTools have updated to 1.9.4. Mekanism v9 is supposedly coming out for 1.9 soon, and I think Immersive Engineering for 1.8/1.9 is in the works. Team CoFH has gone silent.
Magic-wise, I haven't seen anything from Azanor about Thaumcraft coming to 1.9.X. I think Botania is in 1.9.4. Blood Magic is up to 1.9.4 IIRC.
Tinkers Construct has updated to 1.9.4 and is fairly different now. I haven't checked on AE2 in a few weeks or so but last I checked it was still 1.7.10. There are clones out for 1.9.4 though, like Correlated Potentialistics. The less intense storage mod favorites, Storage Drawers and Iron Chests are up to 1.9.4.

Of the big terrain mods, Realistic Terrain Generation and Biomes O Plenty are up to 1.9.4.

And you've got the clientside standbys like InventoryTweaks and WAILA which are up-to-date and several minimaps available.

The 1.9.4 modding scene has promise but the sheer breadth of mods we had between 1.4.6 and 1.7.10 is just not there. It's kind of like 2012 again in that there are fewer mods overall and many of them are newcomers, so it's unclear which of them are good and which are garbage.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 10, 2016

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

quote:

I haven't seen anything from Azanor about Thaumcraft coming to 1.9.X

He's stated on the MCF that he's working on it. Apparently there was some change about particles (?) from 1.8 to 1.9 that makes it much more complicated in Thaumcraft's case. In addition, he's busy IRL.

TL;DR It's coming, but not for a while.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Fortis posted:

It's really slow going. Of the tech mods that are worth anything, at least EnderIO and RFTools have updated to 1.9.4. Mekanism v9 is supposedly coming out for 1.9 soon, and I think Immersive Engineering for 1.8/1.9 is in the works. Team CoFH has gone silent.
Magic-wise, I haven't seen anything from Azanor about Thaumcraft coming to 1.9.X. I think Botania is in 1.9.4. Blood Magic is up to 1.9.4 IIRC.
Tinkers Construct has updated to 1.9.4 and is fairly different now. I haven't checked on AE2 in a few weeks or so but last I checked it was still 1.7.10. There are clones out for 1.9.4 though, like Correlated Potentialistics. The less intense storage mod favorites, Storage Drawers and Iron Chests are up to 1.9.4.

Of the big terrain mods, Realistic Terrain Generation and Biomes O Plenty are up to 1.9.4.

And you've got the clientside standbys like InventoryTweaks and WAILA which are up-to-date and several minimaps available.

The 1.9.4 modding scene has promise but the sheer breadth of mods we had between 1.4.6 and 1.7.10 is just not there. It's kind of like 2012 again in that there are fewer mods overall and many of them are newcomers, so it's unclear which of them are good and which are garbage.

Huh. Well, that's good that things are progressing. I guess I'll look back in a few weeks then.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Wolfsbane posted:

Dump them into a smeltery and render them down for glue emeralds.

There's literally hundreds of them there, it's crazy. I've got to figure out some way of managing them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Liberal use of dynamite and lava fixes basically all problems in minecraft :black101:

Dynamite is kinda high effort here, but I'm pretty sure you can kill all of them and make the area permanently inhabitable with like 4-5 buckets of lava placed in the right spots

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Fortis posted:

Team CoFH is working on the update, it's just their usual MO of being quiet while they work on things. Immersive Engineering is out for 1.8.9, and should be on 1.9.4 (apparently there was a hold up with one of the devs). Thaumcraft is definitely coming - Azador had some RL stuff and the changes to 1.9.4 apparently threw a huge wrench in his code. If anyone cares, IC2 is updated to 1.9.4.

AE2 is unlikely to update unless it gets more modded support. The people on that project only have enough time for maintenance and updates to the existing version - updating to 1.8.9+ is beyond their ability at present.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Fayk posted:

Someone else was doing obsidian->those thaumcraft obsidian things since for some reason it multiplies the fmc slightly..

That was me: obsidian is 75 FMC, but thaumcraft obsidian tile is 250 FMC. You make the obsidian tile by crafting 4 obsidian into 4 tile, so 233% profit, and 250 FMC items can be crated really easily without using the megapackager.

Never played around with it, but my 10x10 cursed earth mob farm produced alot of drops; I'll bet you could squeeze some FMC out of bones or rotten flesh or fermented spider eyes or something.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Magres posted:

Liberal use of dynamite and lava fixes basically all problems in minecraft :black101:

Dynamite is kinda high effort here, but I'm pretty sure you can kill all of them and make the area permanently inhabitable with like 4-5 buckets of lava placed in the right spots

Luckily I've been building gunpowder based on a previous post, so I have plenty of that, but man I hate destroying the terrain. It's working a bit though.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
BOMB IT ALL

And document it for our enjoyment :v:

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Falcon2001 posted:

This happened to me once, it's caused by a village having high-elevation houses on the outskirts, as the check for villager maximum population that stops spawns is a sphere and the village boundary is a cube, or something like that, so they're spawning without being counted in the total. Destroying the higher-elevation houses by removing the doors should stop the crazy spawns.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Nevets posted:

Never played around with it, but my 10x10 cursed earth mob farm produced alot of drops; I'll bet you could squeeze some FMC out of bones or rotten flesh or fermented spider eyes or something.

RF + Books to spare? MFR Disenchanter w/ the drops from that farm = 1000 or so FMC each.

LOTS of sorting and crafters? Then combine (mfr auto-anvil on repair only?) lots of sorting from those mob drops and those to trash leather, save diamond+gold armor/tools, repair them to full, and crate them!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Anything I missed on how one could turn in the Ferret Shinies stuff automatically? I'm getting enough rotted bones to keep turn in every time it cools down, as long as I remember. I'd rather have it go automatically.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

Anything I missed on how one could turn in the Ferret Shinies stuff automatically? I'm getting enough rotted bones to keep turn in every time it cools down, as long as I remember. I'd rather have it go automatically.
Making this more full-fledged just for anyone else starting with Ferret Business.

You get your initial crates/tokens from repeatable quests in the HQM/Quest tablet.

More Crates can be manufactured - 1 crate + 8 wood = 64 crates.

Tokens (of your current trade level) can be duped (intentionally) - 1 token at a given level = 64 of them.

You can deal in tiny FMC quantities if you want, but to turn them in you need a crate worth a minimum of =1000 FMC= up to max 100k FMC crate which is the most efficient.

CRATE + SAG MILL = Coins and chits.

Then, Exchange Token + Coins in an Alloy Smelter gives you vouchers. The better your loyalty level the better Exchange Tokens you have access to - these set the coin:voucher exchange rate. IT starts at 10:1 and is eventually down to 5:1.

The trader chits are basically a bonus. You combine these for better trades or spend them as is, they're just basically a 'bonus' for doing big trades. You get some extra coins. I don't think these are automation-friendly.

The end-result is vouchers. These are what you turn in (manually) for reward bags. I think there was talk of those being automated eventually, but not sure.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, you were asking about research. Sadly, I don't think this can be automated (yet?) which is a shame, with the cooldown/etc. It's actually the easiest way to earn coins early on if you have any kind of mob grinder, I find.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 10, 2016

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I'm so goddamned bad at Ferret Business, much as I love the concept. How the Hell do I use bags of coins? I can't put them in the alloy smelter to get coins or with tokens to get vouchers, I can't put them in a SAG Mill to get coins, can't craft them to break them open for coins...

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I'm so goddamned bad at Ferret Business, much as I love the concept. How the Hell do I use bags of coins? I can't put them in the alloy smelter to get coins or with tokens to get vouchers, I can't put them in a SAG Mill to get coins, can't craft them to break them open for coins...

Hold them in your hand and right-click. I don't think opening them can be automated, but you might try an autonomous activator or the ProjectRed item-user thingy.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

bbcisdabomb posted:

Hold them in your hand and right-click. I don't think opening them can be automated, but you might try an autonomous activator or the ProjectRed item-user thingy.

Well kiss my grits. Thanks.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Serifina posted:

AE2 is unlikely to update unless it gets more modded support. The people on that project only have enough time for maintenance and updates to the existing version - updating to 1.8.9+ is beyond their ability at present.

I'd help, but every time I try to look at an open-source mod's code, my brain just kinda does the "I have no idea what's going on here" unless I'm looking for a very specific part of a thing (like when I was trying to see what might be causing Matter Overdrive rogue androids to not despawn properly). 99% of my Java coding experience has been programs that operate entirely in the console. :/

I want to get into making mods, I just have no idea where to really start, and also don't really have any ideas...especially not ideas that are reasonable for a first-time-modmaker to attempt.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

Use an Autonomous Activator and an ExU Ender Collector on a chest, for this I think it's better than the Openblocks Vacuum Hopper because it basically teleports the items it's grabbing so they don't get stuck on geometry. HopperHock is the same as well.

Vacuum Chest (EnderIO) and Vacuum Hopper are good blocks too, but sometimes it's better to have an item that just magically grabs the items. FUN FACT: I use a hopperhock (unpowered) for this very reason in my End(er) mob grinder, since it can grab the items through the wall of the Smeltery.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

General Specific posted:

This happened to me once, it's caused by a village having high-elevation houses on the outskirts, as the check for villager maximum population that stops spawns is a sphere and the village boundary is a cube, or something like that, so they're spawning without being counted in the total. Destroying the higher-elevation houses by removing the doors should stop the crazy spawns.

If I remember correctly the doors are tool resistant and can only be broken with dynamite

:colbert:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've been at from MC for several years but used to IT for a few communities. What has Microsoft communicated about plans for the future of bog, modded server gameplay, anything? Plugin integration into the Windows store? Have they started developing a C# client that's more than the Minecraft Portable/Console featureset?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Potato Salad posted:

I've been at from MC for several years but used to IT for a few communities. What has Microsoft communicated about plans for the future of bog, modded server gameplay, anything? Plugin integration into the Windows store? Have they started developing a C# client that's more than the Minecraft Portable/Console featureset?

Microsoft is focused on PE/Win10 version of the game, and have otherwise not really shown any focus on anything else. They've left Mojang alone to work on the Java version of the game, and so far have shown no intentions of developing a C# version, plugin/API capability, or a "Minecraft 2" or... much of anything else. If anything, they've been fairly silent on pretty much all of it.

If they've said anything, I've not seen it anywhere.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Potato Salad posted:

Have they started developing a C# client that's more than the Minecraft Portable/Console featureset?

Yes and no - the C# client is the MCP codebase, but anything they would add first goes into MPC first. So when the update finally comes out that unifies all three codebases, it won't be anything new to console or portable users.

As for modding, all I got from the dev I was talking to last PAX was "there's some cool stuff that Forge is doing that I'm looking into but I'm not allowed to talk about it", so that's both encouraging and terrifying.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

quote:

and no - the C# client is the MCP codebase

Wait what? The pocket edition was always C++, wasn't it? And even the UWP based Windows 10 app is C++, not C#.
Unless I am really mistaken here.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I recently updated thaumcraft from 5.2.0 to 5.2.4, and one of the changes is items like runic shield rings and anything with repair now drain from the aura to do work. While this sounds like a good progression, the problem I have with it is it creates significant overhead for the server and every additional item with this function creates drastically more problems for the server. With 4 runic shields I couldn't stay connected for 5 seconds and I literally couldn't move and it took 6 seconds for a single server tick. With a single item with repair 2: I can move around but there's still quite a bit of rubberbanding and the mobs teleport around every few seconds.

While there is a setting for changing how much vis runic shielding drains, there isn't one for repair.

code:
runic_shielding {
    # How much aer and terra vis it costs to reacharge a single unit of shielding. Minimum of 0.
    I:runic_shield_cost=1

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

SugarAddict posted:

I recently updated thaumcraft from 5.2.0 to 5.2.4, and one of the changes is items like runic shield rings and anything with repair now drain from the aura to do work. While this sounds like a good progression, the problem I have with it is it creates significant overhead for the server and every additional item with this function creates drastically more problems for the server. With 4 runic shields I couldn't stay connected for 5 seconds and I literally couldn't move and it took 6 seconds for a single server tick. With a single item with repair 2: I can move around but there's still quite a bit of rubberbanding and the mobs teleport around every few seconds.

While there is a setting for changing how much vis runic shielding drains, there isn't one for repair.

code:
runic_shielding {
    # How much aer and terra vis it costs to reacharge a single unit of shielding. Minimum of 0.
    I:runic_shield_cost=1

I've literally never seen this problem on a server, and I have a full set of gear with runic shielding. How weak is your server?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gimpanse posted:

Wait what? The pocket edition was always C++, wasn't it? And even the UWP based Windows 10 app is C++, not C#.
Unless I am really mistaken here.

Whoops, yeah it's C++. I got a bit confused at the mention of C# earlier.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Serifina posted:

I've literally never seen this problem on a server, and I have a full set of gear with runic shielding. How weak is your server?

The server itself has 8 gigs of ram, I don't know about the CPU, but I've never had this problem until the update from 5.2.0 to 5.2.4 and it's the only mod on the server, it has the lastest version of forge, Not the recommended or minimum required version so that might have something to do with it. Or maybe it's just the server, I don't know.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What's a good skyblock to get back into Minecraft with? Been looking at Infinity and Skyfactory, have either of them got Thaumcraft 5?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

What's a good skyblock to get back into Minecraft with? Been looking at Infinity and Skyfactory, have either of them got Thaumcraft 5?

both of those head down a retarded path of IC2 (infinity even more so, in that some good stuff is gated behind ic2 stuff well after it is a significant backwards step.)

Neither have TC5 as it isnt for 1.7.10 (its for later mc builds). My go to thing with TC 4 these days is cheat in a complete book and all the aspects once i start TC.

I enjoyed both those above as well as Agraian Skies 2 (spelling...)

There are some 'skyblocks' where you have land. Regrowth, and another one i cant quite remember. It might be Desolate wasteland on the AT launcher. Neither have ore in the ground and you need to sky block all that, well regrowth you use agricraft to grow everything.

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

I don't know if Skyfactory even has Thaumcraft but if it does it will be version 4, both Infinity and Skyfactory are 1.7 based packs and Thaumcraft 5 is a 1.8 mod.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh, that is a shame. I was hoping a major modpack had integrated TC5 at this point.

I'll try out Skyfactory since I've heard good things about Garden of Glass and it has that as an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Skyfactory looks like a 1.7.10 modpack, which means TC4.

Look up Sky Magic by Aislinnmln, it's a 1.8.9 Garden of Glass pack with Thaumcraft. It doesn't have a questbook, though.