Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

drrockso20 posted:

I'll admit I find that more obnoxious than just not mentioning prior events occurring at all

Then you hate fun. One of the best things about American Dad is the lampshading they do.

Roger/Jeannie Gold: Stan, these are my sons, Alex and Ron. They're in Columbia Film School.

Stan: How is that possible?

Roger/Jeannie Gold: I know. I look too young to have kids in college.

Stan: No, that you have children when your persona is completely fabricated...

Roger/Jeannie Gold: We are the music makers. We are the dreamers of dreams.

Stan: That is an unsatisfying answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love when the show calls itself out. Like how Roger is also the 30 years married wife of a judge. "You make the time." :allears:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
AD's Years-apart 4th wall callbacks are some of the most perfect moments in the show's arsenal and I can't even fathom an individual joyless enough to claim they're somehow "obnoxious". That doesn't even make sense, rofl

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 10, 2016

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

continuity is for shows that aren't as smart as they think like archer

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

*MISTERANDLADYINAROBOTVOICE*

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah continuity is almost nonexistent in American Dad these days, which I'll admit is one of the things I really don't like about most "Adult" animation these days, less about callbacks to older episodes(although those are nice) and more cause it leads them to repeatedly reusing plots till they become unbearable to watch be used again

To give an example of this, they've done the "Steve tries to date/have sex with a girl but blows it in the end" plot almost 40 times now(a guy on /co/ made a chart about it, I'll see if I can find it), and it's gotten really stale by now cause we know how it's going to end(and good joke writing only goes so far, and American Dad has been overall more miss than hit in that area for a long time now)

Yeah, I agree it's the most annoying thing about this genre. I wouldn't want it to suddenly change for AD or anything, but I would love to see animated sitcoms in the future that actually age characters. You don't have to do it year by year, but like eventually for the sake of shaking up the stories.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

bull3964 posted:

Then you hate fun. One of the best things about American Dad is the lampshading they do.

Roger/Jeannie Gold: Stan, these are my sons, Alex and Ron. They're in Columbia Film School.

Stan: How is that possible?

Roger/Jeannie Gold: I know. I look too young to have kids in college.

Stan: No, that you have children when your persona is completely fabricated...

Roger/Jeannie Gold: We are the music makers. We are the dreamers of dreams.

Stan: That is an unsatisfying answer.

Most of the other times they do it are fine, that specific time just came off as the writers being smartasses and not in a funny way

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yeah, I agree it's the most annoying thing about this genre. I wouldn't want it to suddenly change for AD or anything, but I would love to see animated sitcoms in the future that actually age characters. You don't have to do it year by year, but like eventually for the sake of shaking up the stories.

Glad to see someone else agrees, and honestly American Dad would be improved by a time skip, cause most of the plots they use Steve for these days would work better if he was 18 or older(same with Chris on Family Guy on the rare occasion they actually give him plot relevance anymore), and him being a High School student at all only has relevance still at this point cause the writers love Principal Louis

Honestly it just shows that for most Adult Animation shows, characters under the age of 18 cause more problems for the writing than they solve(Bob's Burgers and South Park are exceptions to this)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Steve going to college would be a great opportunity for comedy, I think

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Most of the other times they do it are fine, that specific time just came off as the writers being smartasses and not in a funny way

Glad to see someone else agrees, and honestly American Dad would be improved by a time skip, cause most of the plots they use Steve for these days would work better if he was 18 or older(same with Chris on Family Guy on the rare occasion they actually give him plot relevance anymore), and him being a High School student at all only has relevance still at this point cause the writers love Principal Louis

Honestly it just shows that for most Adult Animation shows, characters under the age of 18 cause more problems for the writing than they solve(Bob's Burgers and South Park are exceptions to this)

I think Bob's is going to run into the same problems eventually. It's just still too fresh for it to matter. South Park did advance the kids a grade once at least!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Better than it was for Hayley at least

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Aging the characters would be an interesting change of pace, but I bet the higher ups are worried it would "scare" the viewers or something.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TheFattestPat posted:

Aging the characters would be an interesting change of pace, but I bet the higher ups are worried it would "scare" the viewers or something.

Here's a good example of that: Klaus was originally supposed to be put into the body of a parrot at the end of Finances With Wolves not another fish. Presumably this would have been the start of Klaus having his brain transferred into lots of different animals as the series went on, but Fox said no so Klaus has stayed a goldfish forever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Here's a good example of that: Klaus was originally supposed to be put into the body of a parrot at the end of Finances With Wolves not another fish. Presumably this would have been the start of Klaus having his brain transferred into lots of different animals as the series went on, but Fox said no so Klaus has stayed a goldfish forever.

That would have been sort of fun, drat.

So, the farm-style music that plays when Principal Lewis is feeding the janitors has been in my loving head all goddamn day.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's still a shame they couldn't do the parrot thing, cause it's obvious the whole "stuck as a goldfish" thing is something the writers ran out of things to do with a long time ago and struggle to write around(which is why there's on average maybe 2 episodes a season that give him any real plot focus or even more than 2-3 lines in any given episode), when him being a parrot would have opened new avenues for him and make him easier to write into plots since he'd be more self-sufficient and mobile

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, free Klaus. They essentially had to free Roger from the original idea too and he became (imo) the best part of the show.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
It's not like Klaus is that bound to water anymore, he's always as mobile as the plot needs. Remember when he killed all the birds and cats?
Plus I love the gag where some one just chucks his bowl at the wall.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Brawnfire posted:

Hayley is still just hanging around the house.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

twistedmentat posted:

Well, she does go to Graff Community College

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah but besides the fact that her being in college long lost any relevance(indeed I'm actually pretty sure she no longer even goes), episodes revolving around her as a college student almost always sucked, while a lot of Steve's plots would work better with him as a college student instead of a high school student

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bull3964 posted:

"Roger, what about this pink skirt?"

I lost my virginity in this skirt!

"Ok, how about these ugly jeans?"

these ugly jeans took pink skirt's virginity!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
It IS be!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The ICP funeral and Steve's vision of the robot apocalypse were both fantastic.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

This entire episode was fantastic. Was this a never aired Christmas episode or was that all just a joke?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hand me the anal tarring brush!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I thought that was... Pretty bad? :/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's just a barbecue set!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The entire funeral/ICP shirt segment broke me the gently caress up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm catching up on these last 3 episodes. So if in the future we can like regrow people with their memories back from the dead, wouldn't that be that we created necromancy?

"It feels like there is a possum dancing on my heart!"

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 15, 2016

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But who needs two of anything, eh?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

This entire episode was fantastic. Was this a never aired Christmas episode or was that all just a joke?
It was an incredible 4th wall seed about how they never get to air their Xmas episodes on time so they didn't even try to this season.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

StalkofWheat posted:

Plus I love the gag where some one just chucks his bowl at the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfV2vvvIbIM&t=3s

This one is good too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biRRrpJU4A4

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Ahaha, re-watching "Season's Beatings" from Season 7 and in the scene where Father Donovan is telling Stan the three ways he can get back into the church, he mentions "Or you can donate ten million dollars to charity; that's how Jared from Subway got back in".

This joke only becomes funnier given current events.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It was an incredible 4th wall seed about how they never get to air their Xmas episodes on time so they didn't even try to this season.

I came here to ask about the christmas episode those are always the best every season. Such a shame because of scheduling they didn't get to do one this season.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How many times now has Stan been in charge of a investigation that he is the culprit of? you'd think he'd be better at it by now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Next of Pin
(Season 13, Episode 21)
In order to spend more quality time together, Stan and Steve begin bowling together, and Steve proves to be quite good; and Klaus tests to see whether Roger or Hayley has a worse attention span.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Stan and Steve attempting to bond episodes are my favorite. The one where Stan tries to commit suicide after losing was pretty funny

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Passive agressive - under her breath insulting Francine rules

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A Ken Burns burn, nice.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How many times now has Stan been in charge of a investigation that he is the culprit of? you'd think he'd be better at it by now.

And again this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Working girl the way he works those balls so nice and sweet!

edit: Det Munch at the end haha

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 21, 2016