Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knight007au
May 8, 2007
If you mean the thing where yhe turrets shoot through the bridge. Its not fixed i saw it for the first time last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Knight007au posted:

If you mean the thing where yhe turrets shoot through the bridge. Its not fixed i saw it for the first time last night.

Piss

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Verranicus posted:

I suck at making turret nests with Symmetra. Every time I've tried they get picked off well before they catch anyone.

Put them near health kits, like above the door people come thru to get them. Real dirty trick cause you catch injured people.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hello I have purchased this video game, is that stat tracking website retroactive or can I sign up later.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Verranicus posted:

I suck at making turret nests with Symmetra. Every time I've tried they get picked off well before they catch anyone.

Don't stack them very close, lots of guns and abilitys can take out many turrets at once if they're bunched up together (Lucio can M2 that doorframe you planted all 6 on and kill them in one shot for instance). Also think of them as throw-away things or early detection systems and spread them out all over.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Digirat posted:

Hello I have purchased this video game, is that stat tracking website retroactive or can I sign up later.

It is retroactive, welcome to this video game, play all the characters with goons and have lots of fun. :)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so I hear that genji can reflect soldier heal pulses, making it a friendly heal for the genji's team

but can he reflect enemy torbjorn armor packs?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-07-overwatch-blizzard-answers-the-big-questions

quote:

Whilst we're talking new heroes, how did you find it when people started speculating that a new hero, called Sombra, was about to be revealed around the time of your last animated short? Was that strange, from your perspective?

Jeff Kaplan: No, it was not strange. We have put a lot of hints, all over the game and out of the game, so I would say it's about time that people are concerned with who Sombra is. I hope they keep researching more and find more hints that are out there.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lets find out who Sombra is.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I think it's a brand of hummus

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I'm gonna be pretty surprised if that girl that's on a billion posters in the Hanamura arcade with the like... giant gollum and the sunglasses isn't a future hero. Perhaps a rival to D.Va?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
hopefully a newer, stronger Widowmaker

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Lant posted:

Don't stack them very close, lots of guns and abilitys can take out many turrets at once if they're bunched up together (Lucio can M2 that doorframe you planted all 6 on and kill them in one shot for instance). Also think of them as throw-away things or early detection systems and spread them out all over.

Definitely this. I normally don't stack more than 2 to any location, and even though I use the word stack, I place each a decent distance away from one another to prevent them blowing up in one shot. For instance, if I want to put a couple to cut off a flanking doorway, I'll place one above the actual doorway and another at about waist-height to the left or right of the door.

On another note: Something odd happened today and I don't know if it was a fluke or not. While charging Symmetra's M2, I walked into an enemy widow and she died? Does touching someone with the orb while it's charging do damage? I haven't had time to test it out, but it seemed like that's what happened as I hadn't released her M2 yet and it counted as a solo kill.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

net cafe scandal posted:

Considering sombra is shadow in portuguese it's gonna be a hero with stealth that its gonna kill me a lot and I'll complain endlessly in the whining thread about it

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I hope they never add a Spy.

I hated the Spy in TF2 - not because he was too strong, just didn't like how it influenced gameplay.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

"deletes Widowmaker from the game" is an extremely positive gameplay influence though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zorodius posted:

I hated the Spy in TF2 - not because he was too strong, just didn't like how it influenced gameplay.

Yeah, Tracer and Genji already have more than enough "can't ignore them, can't chase them" agony going on. We really don't need more of that.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Streaming lovely goondom from discord. https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zorodius posted:

I mean they added snipers even though snipers suck and aren't fun to play against and I hope all widowmaker players die in real life, so there's no reason to think they also wouldn't make the mistake of putting in a spy class

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Verranicus posted:

Don't make turret nests, or only do it in limited circumstances. I do it if I get a good flank with her on an attack map, but it's usually only good for killing one or two people before a Roadhog or Winston ruins all your work. I move constantly on Symm and generally don't put more than two or three turrets in a particular area unless I KNOW they're about to push through it. Even then, it's important not to cluster them. One in each corner of a room is 1000% better than three right on top of each other.

Like, King's Row A. At the very beginning of the match I stick one on each pillar beside the spawn but I expect them to get blown up. If I'm lucky and the other team are idiots I'll get 50% charge or so, so I think it's worth it. After that, this is my standard setup:

But one key is that it's not static. If they have a bunch of flankers I turret up the building under where I took the screenshot from. Always behind the lip of a door or in the branches of tree so it's hard to see. Pharahs or D.Va's tend to try to hop over the fence in the center of the shot so I'll stick a few extra over there or under the awning or something. If they're on the point I'll often just poop a couple turrets from behind cover before trying to run in, which totally works as long as you're not the only person alive. As they blow up, try to replace them in similar but slightly different areas at every opportunity -- if they're wasting time checking corners just in case, I'm doing my job. I'm also a big fan of watching someone peek out enough to blow up a turret, then running past and putting the exact same one down again out of spite a second later.

The weakness is that you have a decent net to catch anyone but a proper all in push will just ignore all the carefully placed flank turrets. When the time's running low I'll pull back and focus on covering the point itself and areas right around it. In the middle of one of the big hosed up melees on the point people are more focused on killing other players than dealing with turrets so it's sometimes enough to just dump them on the floor and hope the Roadhog's ult isn't up.

Although I'll be honest -- sticking 5 turrets and a teleporter in the tiny 150 HP room to the side of Hanamura B has won me a game or two. On D you need to watch your flanks. On O it's more about establishing a beachhead.

Or hey maybe I'm terrible, I dunno. :shrug:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Big clumps of turrets are fine at the start when you want to build meter really quickly. After that though, yeah, don't group them all up.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Big clumps of turrets are fine at the start when you want to build meter really quickly. After that though, yeah, don't group them all up.

They're good when your team actually has like, a cohesive plan and communicates, because then you can shut of an entire portion of the map unless the offense wants to go out of their way to deal with it.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I've actually had some success clumping a bunch under the car right next to point A in King's Row, but in general it's a gimmick you can't really get away with too often.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

They're good when your team actually has like, a cohesive plan and communicates, because then you can shut of an entire portion of the map unless the offense wants to go out of their way to deal with it.

Yeah but I think really any turret plan is good if you communicate. Disperse turrets will build meter more slowly but now you have alarms for every possible flank and can call down a response.

At any rate, all I know is I build a giant heap of them if I need to build meter quickly or there's really only one flank worth watching. (E.g. I will glady just shut off the hotel stairs flank to the right of the point on Numbani)

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Countblanc posted:

I don't think it's good even then? All it takes is a single Winston and one of your main team contributions is gone. If your team communicates, that's even MORE reason to spread them out -- you can call out when flankers slip through and use them more as sentries, not turrets.

#1 tip might be to put them around places that people jump over. I love seeing Genji try to make a simple hop and get hit by two beams at once then drop like a stone.

ceaselessfuture posted:

I've actually had some success clumping a bunch under the car right next to point A in King's Row, but in general it's a gimmick you can't really get away with too often.

Yeah, this is a good spot when they're pushing in. There's a patch on the floor between the car and a light post that is really hard to see when you're not on the point itself. Still better to drop one there and one elsewhere above eyeline usually.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 12, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Man I'm starting to really love Zarya. Two rounds in a row a Winston kept harassing our healer/backline so I switched to Zarya. Wait for the leap, then bubble the squishy teammate. Short of activating his Ult and getting a lucky knockback into a pit, Winston was useless.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Has anyone else been having connection issues? I keep losing connection to the game servers and haven't been able to get more than a game or two in before getting severe lag and then getting the boot. Internet's fine for everything else, so I'm a bit at a loss.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Warbird posted:

Has anyone else been having connection issues? I keep losing connection to the game servers and haven't been able to get more than a game or two in before getting severe lag and then getting the boot. Internet's fine for everything else, so I'm a bit at a loss.

I had some problems a few days ago but it turns out it was actually comcast being lovely (we both live in bay area). My friend first disconnected and then i followed suit a few minutes later :(

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
There are also a couple places where you can put it flush with the terrain.

Anubis first area - The small health pack room at the entrance has a bookshelf that usually forces a double take if there is a sentry inside.
Kings first area - Left wall (from the earlier screenshot) has a tree/bush thing that can hide the turret from scanning eyes.
Hollywood first area - Small room (next to the archway) has blue computer screens than can semi-mask the turrets.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

net cafe scandal posted:

If you look closely inside the Route 66 spawn you will discover a hint that Sombra is a stack of pancakes.

e: maybe I'm just hungry.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Really, really, REALLY hope they don't add a Spy-like character.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It seems silly that:

1. I can't join-group on a solo friend who's already playing and instead have to invite him to my group (or have him invite me) even if "friends can drop-in" is enabled, unless he's willing to leave a game that he's nearly finished with
2. Being already in the same game as your friend, and being invited to his group, kicks me out of the game and reloads me into the game. What does this even accomplish?!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
They're adding another Sniper.

From the Soldier 76 shorts and a Gamespot Interview where they talk about a Support Sniper being a future character. "Shadow" seems like a reasonably good name for a Sniper and "Support Sniper" was on their list of future characters at some point.

So at least it isn't a Spy?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

No Blizzard, do it. Add the Spy.

The 20 tick facestabs are going to be hilarious.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
Some pubbie got real pissy with me for playing Junkrat on KOTH Ilios (on the on with the point down in the pit), typing at me in all caps that I should switch off Junkrat because they had a Pharah and a Tracer (while he was standing on some roof as Widowmaker). I'll grant him that Pharah is a Junkrat counter (though I only got killed once by the Pharah) but Tracer? I'd like to sit down with this pubbie and find out more about who he thinks counters who in the game.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Junkrat's trap is probably the best thing to kill Tracer outside of some Symmetra turrets. She can't even rewind out of it :psyduck:

Also if someone is being a huge pain in the rear end as a flanker, putting a Junkrat trap on a healthkit is a premium dick move because even if they're lucky enough to spot it and shoot it, the trap will use the healthkit.

Fans fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 12, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

That rifle looks basically exactly like Widow's so it's entirely possible Sombra is just using a placeholder menu screen pose. That was some of the last poo poo they did for characters, per the animation presentation at GDC or whatever it was

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.
do people care about Masteroverwatch Score per minute rank on characters? I hope so. because then i can feel good about being ranked decently with mei on PS4. #59, Need to do more xim4

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Fans posted:

the trap will use the healthkit.

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

a cat on an apple posted:

It's also worth pointing out that your client sends information to the servers at 60 tick, but receives information at 20 tick.

A 20 tickrate client update means that per one second, the client receives updated network information twenty times. That's actually not really that much, considering that most of us regular users have 60hz monitors and if you were to try out a 144hz monitor on a game, you would immediately see the difference in animation update rate on anything modern. The result is that it creates the illusion of lag. The most obvious I have encountered is snipe battles - try to shoot a Widowmaker, and on your side you hit them then die, but on the Killcam you'll see that you were killed before you fired. Your actions aren't being lost in the vacuum, or anything - it's just that with the slow update rate, occasionally you'll find yourself taking an action on your side when in reality you're already dead.

This is extremely frustrating.

It also causes slight problems with peaking. You might think you're safe peaking when you really aren't because of slightly delayed update rates.

I'm like 99% sure there is client side interpolation, so there shouldn't actually be visible discontinuities. If this weren't the case, you would be able to easily see the "gaps" when player moves very quickly across your screen e.g. to being knocked by an explosion, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

From a reaction time point of view, its worth noting that 1/20s = 50ms is on par with the network latency most people experience, and about twice as fast as the fastest human reaction times, generally. It's within an order of magnitude of the time it takes signals to traverse the optic nerve, even. So I don't think there is a lot of effect there.