Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So I recently was reminded of the existence of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR_LHlFwlhk

And I was wondering, does anyone have any idea why Pinky just so suddenly flipped his lid like that? Did he smell something, maybe, that really scared him? Did he decide he wanted to leave and then took the fact he was leashed really badly? It seems extreme even under 'cats being cats'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Seems like both of those things to me. I had the same thing happen to my cat, who sometimes goes out on a leash in my backyard. We unexpectedly stumbled across a neighbor's cat in my herb garden and Persephone flipped her lid i pretty much the exact way you see on video. If she hadn't been on a leash I might have never seen her again. Luckily she knew and trusted me enough to let me pick her up and carry her off, unlike the guy in the video, but Persephone spent the next 15 minutes indoors still puffed up like a Halloween cat, the poor thing was scared so bad.
Needless to say I now go out and look for the local strays before bringing the cats outside.

But yeah, scared cat = freaking out GET ME THE gently caress OUTTA HERE cat, which does not care for stranger and leash keeping them there. You can actually see the cat tensing up in his arms and scoping out an exit path before the freakout, looking around and trying to squirm away as he blithely ignores the cat's body language while scratching its chin and talking to the camera.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Cat tree recommendation for two cats, one of whom is big as gently caress? They don't like cubbyholes and prefer platforms. Amazon order able is a plus.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Deviant posted:

Cat tree recommendation for two cats, one of whom is big as gently caress? They don't like cubbyholes and prefer platforms. Amazon order able is a plus.

I've been happy with the majestic pet brand cat trees we've gotten. Their cubbyholes are actually large enough for our cats to fit in.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Deviant posted:

I recommend Amarkat brand. We have a couple of them, they're sturdy and the cats love them (though maybe don't get one for a hammock, all it's good for is toy storage, the cats refuse to use it). What's nice about those over some other brands we've tried is, the legs are all sturdy sisal for the cats to dig into, but the landings are covered in a soft fuzzy material that ISN'T shaggy carpet like other brands. I will never buy another cat perch with the shaggy carpet on it, it shreds to annoying fibers and looks like total garbage. The fuzzy stuff amarkat uses is easier to clean/de-fur too.

Amarkat also lets you order replacement parts on their site, in case your cats wear one of the scratching posts out or you lose a screw or something, so they've got the potential to last you a long time. Though most of their larger trees do have at least one cubby...though, depending on your budget and how much effort you want to put in, I imagine you could buy a platform piece from the amarkat website and just attach that where the cubby would go, they all use the same connection.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

MrSlam posted:

I'm hoping for the best, man. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I now have a decision to make. A splenectomy will buy him 12-18 more good months. At the same time, I feel like it might be a little selfish to put him through all the trauma of a major surgery and recovery just so I can spend more time with him.

I don't know. I've basically lived 75% of my conscious life with this cat, it'll be strange for him to not be around soon.

At least he's asymptomatic and happy right now.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 9, 2016

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

slavatuvs posted:

Thanks for the thoughts.

I now have a decision to make. A splenectomy will buy him 12-18 more good months. At the same time, I feel like it might be a little selfish to put him through all the trauma of a major surgery and recovery just so I can spend more time with him.

I don't know. I've basically lived 75% of my conscious life with this cat, it'll be strange for him to not be around soon.

I mean, if a cat can live to 20, that's like 48-64 more good human months. I'd be willing to go through surgery for that. I don't think you should feel selfish. Spleens are overrated anyways.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Reik posted:

I mean, if a cat can live to 20, that's like 48-64 more good human months. I'd be willing to go through surgery for that. I don't think you should feel selfish. Spleens are overrated anyways.

You have the benefit of being a human, who would understand what is happening and that the doctor is trying to help you - rather than eat you.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cornwind Evil posted:

So I recently was reminded of the existence of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR_LHlFwlhk

And I was wondering, does anyone have any idea why Pinky just so suddenly flipped his lid like that? Did he smell something, maybe, that really scared him? Did he decide he wanted to leave and then took the fact he was leashed really badly? It seems extreme even under 'cats being cats'.

Cats can just straight-up go nuts like that when they see/smell a stimulus that threatens or frightens them, which seems likely to have happened outside where they were filming. A few years ago, one of our cats saw and smelled a neighborhood feral through an open, screened window, and he spent hours in a total yowling rage, attacking us and the other cat -- just taking out his anger and distress on every target possible. I posted a PI thread about it because I was so freaked out by it, and all the responses were basically "cats do this, give him time."

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Antivehicular posted:

Cats can just straight-up go nuts like that when they see/smell a stimulus that threatens or frightens them, which seems likely to have happened outside where they were filming. A few years ago, one of our cats saw and smelled a neighborhood feral through an open, screened window, and he spent hours in a total yowling rage, attacking us and the other cat -- just taking out his anger and distress on every target possible. I posted a PI thread about it because I was so freaked out by it, and all the responses were basically "cats do this, give him time."

Or it can be accumulated stress. The cat might have been freaked out, then got tired/scared stiff, then it saw its chance to escape and loving took it.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

slavatuvs posted:

Thanks for the thoughts.

Dunno if you're asking for opinions, but mine is to let him enjoy his asymptomatic time and then say your goodbyes.

It sucks but your instinct is right. There's no reason to put an animal through a major surgery just for another year. Your cat doesn't have any affairs to get in order.

Sorry man :(

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I hope this is the right place for this - a quick glance through the thread list didn't seem to show any better alternatives. My cat Logan is a neutered male Abyssinian that is just under 9 years old. About 4 weeks ago I noticed that his abdomen was becoming distended and tight. I took him to the emergency clinic the next morning. At first the Dr thought it was FIP, then a blood parasite and after a great deal of tests, X-rays and sonograms determined that there was a tumor on his spleen. He was scheduled for surgery and had his spleen removed about 5 days later. When they removed his spleen they also removed three nodules from his liver that weren't apparent until they opened him up. The biopsy of the spleen indicated that he has hemangiocarsonoma - a rare and fatal form of cancer. All of this has been incredibly expensive, which is only really important because it brings up questions of how much more should be spent trying to fix a battle that is already lost.

I have a consultation with an oncologist on Tuesday and I suspect that they are going to recommend chemo since the subject has already been brought up with the earlier doctors. I've done a great deal of reading on the subject and it sounds like he doesn't have a chance in hell of surviving this for any real length of time. This brings me to the point and my questions. I feel cynical and angry. I feel like I've been strung along and bilked - it cost me just under 5k to find out what was even wrong with him. The surgery cost me another 4K. I am not a wealthy man. The chemo package that my vet offers starts at 2.5k. Does chemo make cats feel as horrible and sick as it does human patients? If he only has a very short time left I don't want him to spend it sick and miserable. Especially if it has very little chance of extending his life anyhow. It would be one thing if the chemo could give him a few more years of life. But it probably won't.

Am I missing something? Has there ever been a case of a cat or dog (apparently it is more common in dogs) to have survived this? I'm an idiot when it comes to medicine, what questions should I ask the oncologist aside from an honest assessment of whether chemo will even help or not?

SithKitty
Jun 9, 2005

So I have a weird problem. My oldest cat is 18 with managed CRF. Over the course of the last year she has gone completely blind and deaf. Despite this, she was able to user her sense of smell and whiskers to plod around and continue to enjoy life in a limited space.

This morning she decided to wander outside her safe trajectories between food, water, and litter, and promptly got stuck behind a bookcase. And then she wandered behind a toilet. And then the food container. And then bulldozed some of the other cats who were sleeping, resulting in her being attacked. This is a sudden change with no discernable cause, i.e. no moving of furniture or foods. Each time I put her back in the safe area, she walks out to the rest of the house. She chooses to continue wandering when being petted and when basic needs are presented to her. Where her whiskers used to stop her short of a sharp corner or wall, she now barges headfirst into them.

I hate to confine her to a spare bedroom as she is still very social and enjoys when people are near, but I am terrified of her knocking something heavy onto her. Is this sudden decline normal nearing the end behavior or should I be looking at something else?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Old cats can succumb to dementia and senility unfortunately. Your vet would be better placed to make a diagnosis though on what exactly's wrong, if it's that or a loss of sensation or something else.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

HairyManling posted:

I hope this is the right place for this - a quick glance through the thread list didn't seem to show any better alternatives. My cat Logan is a neutered male Abyssinian that is just under 9 years old. About 4 weeks ago I noticed that his abdomen was becoming distended and tight. I took him to the emergency clinic the next morning. At first the Dr thought it was FIP, then a blood parasite and after a great deal of tests, X-rays and sonograms determined that there was a tumor on his spleen. He was scheduled for surgery and had his spleen removed about 5 days later. When they removed his spleen they also removed three nodules from his liver that weren't apparent until they opened him up. The biopsy of the spleen indicated that he has hemangiocarsonoma - a rare and fatal form of cancer. All of this has been incredibly expensive, which is only really important because it brings up questions of how much more should be spent trying to fix a battle that is already lost.

I have a consultation with an oncologist on Tuesday and I suspect that they are going to recommend chemo since the subject has already been brought up with the earlier doctors. I've done a great deal of reading on the subject and it sounds like he doesn't have a chance in hell of surviving this for any real length of time. This brings me to the point and my questions. I feel cynical and angry. I feel like I've been strung along and bilked - it cost me just under 5k to find out what was even wrong with him. The surgery cost me another 4K. I am not a wealthy man. The chemo package that my vet offers starts at 2.5k. Does chemo make cats feel as horrible and sick as it does human patients? If he only has a very short time left I don't want him to spend it sick and miserable. Especially if it has very little chance of extending his life anyhow. It would be one thing if the chemo could give him a few more years of life. But it probably won't.

Am I missing something? Has there ever been a case of a cat or dog (apparently it is more common in dogs) to have survived this? I'm an idiot when it comes to medicine, what questions should I ask the oncologist aside from an honest assessment of whether chemo will even help or not?

I'm sorry for everything you've gone through. That sounds very stressful and a difficult experience all-around. I can say that the chemotherapy doses used in animals is much lower than the doses used in human medicine, because the goal of chemotherapy in animals is to provide a good quality of life, not necessarily go for a cure, so the vast majority of animals do tolerate chemotherapy very well with no to mild side effects.

I also think that the emergency clinic did not intend to string you along to get money. Hemangiosarcoma is a very rare tumour in cats, and in medicine, you try for the more common conditions first. So looking for FIP or blood parasites first was the prudent thing to do because in most cases, it will give you an answer sooner. Unfortunately, in Logan's case he had a rare tumour that sounds it required more extensive testing to figure out. Since finances are a concern at this point, I'd recommend bringing that up with the oncologist so you can have a frank discussion about the pros and cons of chemotherapy and whether the benefits will be worthwhile. When I recommend diagnostics and treatments, I recommend the ideal medical plan for my patient. If the owner can't afford it, then we work together to come up with a plan that's reasonable for them. Things you can also ask include things like... whether chemo will extend his survival time vs just surgery alone, if so by how much, is chemo the only treatment option at this point, what are the costs associated with chemo vs any other potential treatment options, etc. You are allowed to decline chemo and there is nothing wrong with that. I speak with owners every day who can't afford the tests that we've recommended, and it is ok to say no. We don't judge people for having financial limitations - we know it's expensive. Just be straightforward with your oncologist about what you want and what your limitations are and they should help you make the right decision for Logan.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What is an appropriate space to keep a cat in, in terms of square feet and ceiling height? I'm worried that my tiny studio is too small for a cat to be comfortable in. At least, he seems kind of uncomfortable in this area, considering that he runs around at night all the time and meows/semi-claws at the walls.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pollyanna posted:

What is an appropriate space to keep a cat in, in terms of square feet and ceiling height? I'm worried that my tiny studio is too small for a cat to be comfortable in. At least, he seems kind of uncomfortable in this area, considering that he runs around at night all the time and meows/semi-claws at the walls.

This can be pretty normal cat behavior, or it can be boredom -- it's an open question. I'd guess it's less a problem with the size of the environment and more an issue of limited stimulation. Are there vertical surfaces where he can jump and roost? Windowsills, bookshelves, cat trees, etc. -- places where he's allowed to go and hang out. Cats are really more motivated by vertical spaces on different levels than they are raw horizontal area, in my experience. Also, how are his other stimulation options: scratching areas, toys he can play with independently, stuff like that.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Braki posted:

I'm sorry for everything you've gone through. That sounds very stressful and a difficult experience all-around. I can say that the chemotherapy doses used in animals is much lower than the doses used in human medicine, because the goal of chemotherapy in animals is to provide a good quality of life, not necessarily go for a cure, so the vast majority of animals do tolerate chemotherapy very well with no to mild side effects.

I also think that the emergency clinic did not intend to string you along to get money. Hemangiosarcoma is a very rare tumour in cats, and in medicine, you try for the more common conditions first. So looking for FIP or blood parasites first was the prudent thing to do because in most cases, it will give you an answer sooner. Unfortunately, in Logan's case he had a rare tumour that sounds it required more extensive testing to figure out. Since finances are a concern at this point, I'd recommend bringing that up with the oncologist so you can have a frank discussion about the pros and cons of chemotherapy and whether the benefits will be worthwhile. When I recommend diagnostics and treatments, I recommend the ideal medical plan for my patient. If the owner can't afford it, then we work together to come up with a plan that's reasonable for them. Things you can also ask include things like... whether chemo will extend his survival time vs just surgery alone, if so by how much, is chemo the only treatment option at this point, what are the costs associated with chemo vs any other potential treatment options, etc. You are allowed to decline chemo and there is nothing wrong with that. I speak with owners every day who can't afford the tests that we've recommended, and it is ok to say no. We don't judge people for having financial limitations - we know it's expensive. Just be straightforward with your oncologist about what you want and what your limitations are and they should help you make the right decision for Logan.
You're absolutely right. I was feeling a bit frustrated when I made that post last night. Frustrated at the whole situation and it's not fair to direct it at the doctors. They've done great work so far and Logan more than likely would have already been dead if not for their efforts.

Anyways, thank you for your response. I really do appreciate it. He's holding steady at this point. Though his appetite is dwindling. Our vet has prescribed an appetite stimulant that I'm picking up tomorrow morning. Then Tuesday is the consultation and I'll just go from there, I guess.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I considered asking this thread about socializing a new adopted kitten with a gigantic but scaredy older cat, but turns out my clumsy naked monkey rear end has blundered into making it work, maybe. During the kitten's excursion today Lyon had a nose to nose sniffy introduction moment without hissing at her and otherwise mostly ignored her and went about his business. :3:

He did tell her to piss off (glare and hiss that were respected) when he was having a bite to eat, but I think that is fair and anyway I want him to be the boss.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I considered asking this thread about socializing a new adopted kitten with a gigantic but scaredy older cat, but turns out my clumsy naked monkey rear end has blundered into making it work, maybe. During the kitten's excursion today Lyon had a nose to nose sniffy introduction moment without hissing at her and otherwise mostly ignored her and went about his business. :3:

He did tell her to piss off (glare and hiss that were respected) when he was having a bite to eat, but I think that is fair and anyway I want him to be the boss.

Yeah, I've never done any elaborate cat introduction routines. More or less just drop the new cat in the litter box so it knows where it is and let things take care of themselves from there.

It's always worked just fine for me. I might try the more complicated stuff if the initial intro didn't go well, but it always has.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GreyjoyBastard posted:

normally kittens arent problems. its 2 fully grown cats is where you get some fun while they sort out the hierarchy

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

SneakyFrog posted:

normally kittens arent problems. its 2 fully grown cats is where you get some fun while they sort out the hierarchy

Been 8 months now and they're still posturing over here.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Deviant posted:

Been 8 months now and they're still posturing over here.

with a kitten? wow never seen that

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

SneakyFrog posted:

with a kitten? wow never seen that

No, two adult cats. I moved in with a buddy of mine a while back, and his cat has never existed in a hierarchy before. So I guess she just decided to be at the top and see where that goes.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

marshmallard posted:

How do you clip a skittish cat's claws? Grumples really needs his done but I don't want to restrain him or anything because he gets really freaked out and scared :(

Dang I am a bit stumped on this one but don't worry OP, I bet someone else can get your back on this!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

marshmallard posted:

How do you clip a skittish cat's claws? Grumples really needs his done but I don't want to restrain him or anything because he gets really freaked out and scared :(

Sneak up and trim a claw here and there while he's napping. It'll take time. If you can, get him used to you just touching his paws while he relaxes so he might not notice right away. Stuff his face with treats as you mess with his feet/trim. It'll take a while but hopefully you'll be able to get it done.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SneakyFrog posted:

Kitten wants to have a buddy, older cat has taught her to respect his personal hidey-holes and is grudgingly willing to share the rest of the house.

Except for when she decides his tail is a toy, whereupon OH GOD THE KITTEN IS TRYING TO EAT ME and the twenty-pound brontosaurus cat runs and hides in one of his safe places lest the two-pound kitten Get Him.

He'll work it out but god drat, Lyon, you're such a wimp.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Cat training question. I'm teaching my cat to beg because it's adorable. He understands what I want if I use a hand signal but he is totally clueless if I only use a voice command. We've been at the "voice command plus hand signal" stage for a few months with no further progress. He is not deaf. Any ideas?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

This morning, Wolfgang expressed his displeasure at the state of his litter box by instead utilising a towel and pair of jeans I'd carelessly left on the bathroom floor. drat. Message received, little buddy.

Last time he pissed on an item of clothing I just couldn't get the smell out. Time to buy a new pair of jeans and a towel, or does anyone have any bright ideas?

On a happier note, I finally managed to upload 12 glorious minutes of the two kitties washing and wrestling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6qldzHiW3o

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
I've had an adult cat (now about 4) that I adopted from the humane society about a year ago. We've had to move in the interim before which happened without much trouble, but now we're in a townhouse with stairs and multiple levels which I don't think he's ever had to deal with before. Every night he wakes me up at about 4:30 yowling constantly for seemingly no reason. Could it be stress related? Maybe he's no getting enough playtime before bed? Either way, I think I'm going to pick up some feliway after work and try to wear him out before bedtime. Thoughts, cattegoons?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Commissar Budgie posted:

I've had an adult cat (now about 4) that I adopted from the humane society about a year ago. We've had to move in the interim before which happened without much trouble, but now we're in a townhouse with stairs and multiple levels which I don't think he's ever had to deal with before. Every night he wakes me up at about 4:30 yowling constantly for seemingly no reason. Could it be stress related? Maybe he's no getting enough playtime before bed? Either way, I think I'm going to pick up some feliway after work and try to wear him out before bedtime. Thoughts, cattegoons?

Our boy Rodney yowls if we don't play with him before bed. I'd give that shot, since cats are nocturnal hunters he probably just has a bunch of pent up hunt energy.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Hyperlynx posted:

This morning, Wolfgang expressed his displeasure at the state of his litter box by instead utilising a towel and pair of jeans I'd carelessly left on the bathroom floor. drat. Message received, little buddy.

Last time he pissed on an item of clothing I just couldn't get the smell out. Time to buy a new pair of jeans and a towel, or does anyone have any bright ideas?

On a happier note, I finally managed to upload 12 glorious minutes of the two kitties washing and wrestling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6qldzHiW3o

:kimchi: cute

My cats usually enter the biting-murder-affection stage a lot quicker than that

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
Is the adopt-2 advice only applicable to kittens, or also adult cats?

If I'll be getting a cat as an emotional support animal in an apartment that normally disallows pets, can my landlord limit me to only 1 pet?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

My little guy has developed a small sore on his lip/chin. Does this look like cat acne? It just appeared on Sunday as a light pink/red bump. I initially thought it was a scratch or the result of a fight with our other cat, but it kind of looks like he has some blackheads close by. The internet tells me that plastic food bowls can cause this but he only eats from a stainless steel bowl. He hasn't had anything like this before and is an indoor only cat. He is healthy otherwise with no other issues. If it doesn't resolve within a week or so I will probably take him to the vet (he has a yearly check up soon too) but just curious what other people thought.

Here is a regular picture of him (on the left) and his brother because they are so cute:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

UserErr0r posted:

Is the adopt-2 advice only applicable to kittens, or also adult cats?

If I'll be getting a cat as an emotional support animal in an apartment that normally disallows pets, can my landlord limit me to only 1 pet?

No, they can not limit emotional support animals.

The adopt-2 advice applies to adult cats as well. We've got 2 we adopted when they were both >1 year old and they play together all the time. It's very good for them socially.

Homer J. Fong posted:

My little guy has developed a small sore on his lip/chin. Does this look like cat acne? It just appeared on Sunday as a light pink/red bump. I initially thought it was a scratch or the result of a fight with our other cat, but it kind of looks like he has some blackheads close by. The internet tells me that plastic food bowls can cause this but he only eats from a stainless steel bowl. He hasn't had anything like this before and is an indoor only cat. He is healthy otherwise with no other issues. If it doesn't resolve within a week or so I will probably take him to the vet (he has a yearly check up soon too) but just curious what other people thought.

Here is a regular picture of him (on the left) and his brother because they are so cute:

Does he mark furniture vigorously? If he found an edge he liked and rubbed his face against it hard enough it may cause that?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Homer J. Fong posted:

My little guy has developed a small sore on his lip/chin. Does this look like cat acne?
Yeah that looks like acne. If you don't run the food and water bowls through the dishwasher very often, try that first. If that doesn't work, you probably just have a cat who gets acne. Sometimes it will clear up with some daily gentle scrubbing with a mild soap and water on a rag. You can also try Stridex (salicylic acid) pads. Sometimes it's associated with food allergies and other weird skin things, but that looks pretty mild. If it gets really icky or seems like it's bothering him, I'd see your vet.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Thanks for replies, I appreciate it. I usually stress too much about my cats so it's reassuring to be able to hear other cat owners' opinions.

This is the first time he's had acne and he's 4 years old so I'm not quite sure what could have caused it. I've given him some new dry treats lately but he usually just gets wet food a couple times a day. I usually dishwasher the bowls twice a week and wash with soap and water in between. We are in the process of moving houses now though so I wonder if it could just be stress related

I'll probably use a warm wash rag on the area and see if that clears it up. I did schedule a vet visit for next week for his yearly rabies vaccine so if it doesn't clear up by then I'll ask vet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who do I have to kill to get a cat that can lick its teeth and lower jaw clean? :argh:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Hyperlynx posted:

Natures miracle Advanced Formula for cats (the red bottle not the white one). Follow instructions on bottle but basically spray the poo poo out of the spot, let it sit for like 15 min, then blot it out. May take a few times depending on how smelly it is. I guess if it's the whole jeans & towel just douse them in it in in the tub or something.

My one moron cat decided to miss the litter box entirely and I thought it was just water from my shower. Nope, it was cat piss. I didn't realize it till I had tracked it all over the place. But the NM got rid of the smell so it's all good now :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
My husband sent me a text a couple of days ago saying they had found a tiny kitten in the middle of their parking lot. Yesterday he ended up bringing her home after they couldn't find any sign of a mama cat anywhere (they think one of the guys who works there dumped it or she had stowed away in someone's car somehow.) Kitten is about 3 to maybe 4 weeks old and weighs around 11.5 oz. She can bumble around, doesn't see all that well yet, has her tiny little kitten fangs and is starting to chew on the nipple when we feed her so it's time to start the transition to real food. The only thing she isn't doing yet on her own is eliminating but that should happen soon. We're taking her to the vet tonight for a check-up and whatnot so we'll know for sure if she's doing okay then.

The plan is to get her to about 10 weeks old, have her spayed then see if we can place her in a good home.

No, really, that's the plan.

We don't need a 3rd cat.

I don't care that she's cute.

Nope.

Yeah... my husband the "not a cat person" is already attached, she isn't going anywhere (as long as the rest of the cats are okay with that)