Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Symbolic Butt posted:

Your description didn't do justice to how bad this is. It's so cringeworthy I can't read it. I can't believe a magazine can publish such a dumb childish rant.

Clarin in Argentina, Globo in Brazil, Dailymail in UK, Fox News in USA, it's like they're one and the same, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

I think that's her best option really, the whole shebang left everyone burned out. People need to get in high spirits with a new government and genuinely believe that everything is gonna change and be alright, at least for a while.

Also if I were Dilma I'd be so profoundly bitter that seriously, gently caress being president. I'm old, I don't need this poo poo in my life.

Does anyone have a sense of whether Dilma actually wanted to be president, or if she just did it because Lula asked her?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

Your description didn't do justice to how bad this is. It's so cringeworthy I can't read it. I can't believe a magazine can publish such a dumb childish rant.

Época has always been an open sewer. They published Olvade Carvalho, Brazil's crazy astrologer conservative, for years. Right after 9-11, he published a column about how the attack was obviously a russian communist plot and anyone thinking it was muslims was a fool. He also wrote that Brazil's hugest and conservative media conglomerate Globo was under the thumb of cuban commies because they once aired a soap opera called 'Cubanacan', which had a plot about cuban dancers.

Yet mysteriously he never had trouble finding big respectable vehicles to publish his poo poo, and is seeing a renaissance of interest nowadays.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

What do the Brazilians itt make of DIlma's pledge for a referendum on new elections if she's not convicted? It seems like the entire process would take at least a year from whenever she's returned to whenever the new elections happen (if the referendum passes). It also seems like those new elections would be a total clusterfuck.

Ambivalent on it, there could be a chance a bastard like Bolsonaro could get elected due to his high popularity.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't think Dilma would go forward with a new elections referendum if she somehow dodged the conviction, but maybe I underestimate how jaded PT is or how conscious they are of the political clusterfuck that scenario would create.

To be honest, I have no idea what's gonna happen anymore. I'm terrified of two years under Temer - like, legit "avoid thinking about it like it was my own mortality" terrified - but I'm not sure if that would come to pass, I'm not sure if PT/Dilma have something under their sleeves to turn the last vote around, I'm not even sure who'd have a shot at winning a new vote right now.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

Clarin in Argentina, Globo in Brazil, Dailymail in UK, Fox News in USA, it's like they're one and the same, seriously.

Fox News or dailymail aren't good comparisons. The thing with Globo is not their editorializing or spinning stories a certain way. It's that they are so big and powerful that they actually decide what is going to be news or not. Let me give you one actually very small example. Fernando Henrique Cardoso had a love affair with a Globo journalist and was potentially the father of her child born in 1991. As a result of this, and of him running for president, Globo decided to send her to work as a correspondent in Europe. Except she didn't actually work, though she was paid all the same. Everyone in Globo new about the affair. Globo didn't want her in Brazil and didn't want her visible because there was always a chance of gossip spreading.

So we are not talking about just spin or being conservative, but actually conspiring with certain favored politicians to make sure any inconvenient stories don't come out.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

The real tragedy is he actually seems to believe NYT writers are his contemporaries lol.

Is it Época that's currently got the magazine cover:

"HOW TO SAVE OUR ECONOMY (what about taking another look at that whole Privatisation thing?)"

Gave me a good laugh when I saw it at the bus stop.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Sephyr posted:

a soap opera called 'Cubanacan', which had a plot about cuban dancers.

I love Kubanacan and this description is hilariously wrong. It's actually about time travel, fantasy nukes and a guy with multiple personatilies.

Seriously, it's a work of art.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Frionnel posted:

I love Kubanacan and this description is hilariously wrong. It's actually about time travel, fantasy nukes and a guy with multiple personatilies.

The greatest soap opera that has ever been written.

It literally has the DARK PHOENIX

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Frionnel posted:

the only thing i remember from it is that people called it surubanacan for being insanely lewd even for novela standards (and i liked beijo do vampiro more because i played the poo poo out of the browser game they made for it woot)

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
you're all wrong. uga uga was the best one and the spiritual precursor to kubanacan.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
That column is the perfect encapsulation of the mutt complex of Brazilian upper classes: the insistence on bad English no one uses (dear fellows), the outsized concern with how foreigners see Brazil, fake nationalism of the love it or leave variety, and anything that even vaguely threatens the caste like structure in Brazil is part of some crazy conspiracy by communists.

Of course, then I checked his twitter feed and he is sure that the investigations into Cunha, Juca and Sarney are all part of an authoritarian attorney general to keep PT in power.

Edit:
And we have our first action by the Temer government after the leaked tapes that affected his government. PMDB deputies are trying to pass a law that would make recording someone or taking their pictures without their permission a crime, with the sentence increasing substantially if said recordings or pictures end up in the media.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 12, 2016

Lucy_Cominato
Oct 23, 2010
And dont forget the idolization of Libertarian ideas,that are better explained in this other thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636681

And soap operas: Roque Santeiro,Vale Tudo and Vamp were the best ones of all time.Odete Roitman is eternal

Lucy_Cominato fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 12, 2016

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I get sad every time I say the word "parrudo" and people around me have no idea what I mean.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Symbolic Butt posted:

I get sad every time I say the word "parrudo" and people around me have no idea what I mean.

Swole Fisherman, the greatest hero of our time.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lucy_Cominato posted:

And dont forget the idolization of Libertarian ideas,that are better explained in this other thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636681

And soap operas: Roque Santeiro,Vale Tudo and Vamp were the best ones of all time.Odete Roitman is eternal

How old are you or did you watch those on vale a pena ver de novo

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
After being relentlessly mocked for his column, Fiuza has taken to social media to defend himself. And of course the thing that has bugged him the most is people mocking him for his bad English and stuff like "dear fellows."

Lucy_Cominato
Oct 23, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

How old are you or did you watch those on vale a pena ver de novo

Old enough to have seen all of them as a kid

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Hell, "Vamp" could be credited to giving young little me an appreciation for girls.

Claudia Ohana caused early puberty in lot of kids back then.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The protagonist's roars used to scare the caralhos outta me.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Ethics commission has voted against Cunha, so now he goes up for a vote by the entire Congress. Things should get really interesting now.

Jambo Jambos
Sep 3, 2011
So the "right hand man" of Julio De Vido and someone who has been involved with the previous Argentine administration was caught trying to bury 5-8 million dollars, euros , "luxary watches" and a machine gun, in a convent.

http://buenosairesherald.com/article/216156/exofficial-arrested-hiding-bags-with-us$-58-million-gun-

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
More revelations in Brazil today. Aecio, Sarney, and, more importantly, Temer all mentioned in a new phase of the investigation. How does the PMDB leadership reacts to all of this? By considering impeaching the attorney general.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Pretty much all of my friends who were wearing their yellow/green soccer t-shirt and marching against corruption are now affling and saying the investigations have to stop, becayse "they're creating instability".

Which has been true for over a year now, but it wasn't a problem before, of course.

At this point, the damage has been done. And the media/judiciary/conservative alliance will never allow a grand bargain with the labor parties to try and stabilize things, because they think they are winning, if they can only destroy the enemy faster than their own structure crumbles.

I just wonder if our Berlusconi figure that will take over once the system is hollowed out completely will be Bolsonaro or some sweet-talking newcomer.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Sephyr posted:

Pretty much all of my friends who were wearing their yellow/green soccer t-shirt and marching against corruption are now affling and saying the investigations have to stop, becayse "they're creating instability".

Maybe they are ashamed to wear them after that dreadful Copa America showing.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
One of the Guantanamo prisoners Mujica took to Uruguay has escaped into Brazil. I guess he's your problem now.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

joepinetree posted:

How does the PMDB leadership reacts to all of this? By considering impeaching the attorney general.

:drat:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Whenever you think things have reached an absurd level and there is no way that the new government can be any more corrupt or inept, they nominate the owner of the helicopter busted with half a ton of cocaine for the cabinet level position of national soccer secretary.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

joepinetree posted:

Whenever you think things have reached an absurd level and there is no way that the new government can be any more corrupt or inept, they nominate the owner of the helicopter busted with half a ton of cocaine for the cabinet level position of national soccer secretary.

Hey man, previous work experience is very important.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Olympics thread is full of stupid fucks Jesus Christ.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The Olympics thread is full of stupid fucks Jesus Christ.

What are they stupid about in the Olympics that's actually being held in Rio de Janeiro thread?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I legit don't get this Zika panic on the part of the Olympic athletes. gently caress, you're an adult male, if you wanna be concerned about a tropical disease dengue fever is a much bigger concern. I also appreciate the "lol third world hellhole this is going to be a shitshot" posting when the World Cup ran just fine here...meanwhile, the Euros in France are a fuckin' mess.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if dengue fever is worse than having a disabled child, though. It's completely out of control currently and scientists keep discovering worse stuff about zika.

The thread is not any worse than the LF thread about London 2012. Olympic games are a shitshow by default.

And why be so defensive about it when soldiers kill an endangered animal during the torch ceremony and the THIRD tourist minister since Temer took office keeps saying "everything will be fine"

This is how the velodrome will be for the olympic games:

Let's remember we already had a complete velodrome that would only require small adjustments to be olympic games ready but they razed it and built this one instead. They canceled the tournament that would be held there prior to the olympics so there will be almost zero testing of the wooden floor, which is the most important part of the velodrome.

nobody knows if the subway lines will be ready at all.

A shitload of golf players are backing out (all the favorites), making sure the really bad deal the government made with the golf field builders will be for nothing.

Let's not even mention the guanabara bay cleaning efforts.

it already is a shitshow.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh I know the IOC and the Rio Government have been really displicent with how they are conducting the games, it's just that a lot of the posts read like a gbs-level condescension towards "stupid third worlders who can't host an olympic right".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, the thing is that dengue can literally kill you AND (unless numbers have changed recently) it's a lot easier to catch than Zika. Some people are afraid of making it endemic, but it isn't such a widespread disease that you risk contracting it anywhere, and 90% of athletes and tourists will stay and visit places that are also relatively risk-free.

Also of course any thread about sports is a shitfest, and the Rio Olympics won't be an amazing display of organizational skills. It's not being defensive, it's just...poo poo borders on "lol the poors" sometimes and I feel that's idiotic considering the other "disastrous" event we hosted actually went...well?? poo poo's gonna run on time and then we're gonna front the bill as always.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also regarding the World Cup: I'm waiting for the inevitable "alligator eats soldier" headline after that Jaguar was shot dead if the Harambe cause taught us anything.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did you expect something other than condescending racism from Anglos plutonis? Not that the olympics won't be a total loving shitshow based on the level of craftmanship tihese new and fancy stadiums seem to have. Looking forward to the inevitable dome collapse and hundreds of casualties tho!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you consider how good their world history lessons are, it's not surprising for them to think that some countries simply have better people than others without considering their part in loving up the exploration colonies throughout the world.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

You seriously complaining about a GBS thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

You seriously complaining about a GBS thread?

It was the D&D one but they are one and the same at this point