Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
"i didnt like gone home because the story is bad and also i didnt read any of the handwritten stuff" is like saying call of duty is bad because the shooting sucks and you never used a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Novolin posted:

"i didnt like gone home because the story is bad and also i didnt read any of the handwritten stuff" is like saying call of duty is bad because the shooting sucks and you never used a gun

The reason I didn't read any of the handwritten stuff is because the handwriting was horrible

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

DrVenkman posted:

Well technically they're on a couple's retreat because they're having marriage problems as they're living in the house the father was molested in in 1963 and the mother is possibly cheating. The safe you find isn't the father's, it was the uncle's. The father keeps writing JFK fanfiction in which someone goes back in time to stop a terrible event because of what happened to him the same year Kennedy died.

I mean on a surface level sure that's right, but I thought it was great with its storytelling without being explicit about anything.

I am glad I am not the only one who thought the mother was cheating. Not to mention the couples help book you find. . I must have missed the part that the uncle molested the father. Then again i never got into the safe either. . I would have liked to still explore the house after the end game and found that out.

BillmasterCozb posted:

The reason I didn't read any of the handwritten stuff is because the handwriting was horrible

The only thing that was hard at all to read was the uncles will, and that had a text version provided anyways.. Daniel's story written as a child was also a little difficult to read, but that was intentional. .

Its ok not to like the game though. :)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shnag posted:

Thanks, and it's ok to like the game, too. I just think it's weird when people call it "the best story told in a video game", because undertale exists

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay now I know you're a troll

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Shnag posted:

I am glad I am not the only one who thought the mother was cheating. Not to mention the couples help book you find. . I must have missed the part that the uncle molested the father. Then again i never got into the safe either. . I would have liked to still explore the house after the end game and found that out.

The only thing that was hard at all to read was the uncles will, and that had a text version provided anyways.. Daniel's story written as a child was also a little difficult to read, but that was intentional. .

There's actually a moment I loved, regarding the mother at one point you find a bill from a salon and see that she's had the full works done and it's dated like Feb 2nd. Then later you find a ticket to see Earth Wind and Fire the next day. But you also find a note from her co-worker saying that his partner can't go. It's just subtle storytelling, enough that it fleshes out characters that you never get to see. There's a couple of other little hints too, but I don't think it's ever confirmed if she goes through with anything with him or if its just the concert.

The father stuff was fascinating, and I think really well put together.

You can still explore the game mind if you just hit resume. It'll start up again where the game leaves off.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

But seriously, scribbly text, you could have turned on the text overlay if you were having problems reading it. Don't go off saying that it's hidden behind menus. The first thing anyone should do before they play a game is to go to options and make sure subtitles are on

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

BillmasterCozb posted:

I'm gonna try that NBA game later, I've heard some ridiculous stuff happens in it even just after the character creator. That and I wonder how it'll play, for a basketball game.

Warning: if you haven't played previous NBA 2K games, and/or don't play basketball/sports games regularly, NBA 2K16 is borderline impenetrable and there isn't much in the way of a tutorial, even in the career mode. It's gorgeous, technically amazing and really well-made and well-presented, but it's as newbie-friendly as a thrown brick. If you don't follow basketball enough to know the terminology, you're going to have an even tougher time because the controls menus are lengthy, stuffed with basketball jargon and there's no quick reference.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I thoroughly enjoy watching goons get as confused by basketball as I do with games like Persona and Odin's Sphere.

NBA's controls are great compared to other sports games like UFC and The Show.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

That story mode in NBA2k16 is full of really weird bits. I'm really early on so no major spoilers.

You can name your character anything and the characters will refer to you as Freq but some load screens and in game bits refer to you by your created name. Also the game specifically points out that your sister is your twin even though she probably looks nothing like your character. The intro bits also feel really strange because your character doesn't gain any increase in abilities over the first several games. Then the game makes a huge deal out of choosing to go to the NBA or staying in college but makes the decision for you. This game is silly.

I really think these games could use a good training mode option in the my player mode to teach some of the basics like play calling and the basics of what each position focuses on during the game. For example, you can turn on outlines that show where you should stand or move as part of a play but these are all off by default.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Faux Mulder posted:

Warning: if you haven't played previous NBA 2K games, and/or don't play basketball/sports games regularly, NBA 2K16 is borderline impenetrable and there isn't much in the way of a tutorial, even in the career mode. It's gorgeous, technically amazing and really well-made and well-presented, but it's as newbie-friendly as a thrown brick. If you don't follow basketball enough to know the terminology, you're going to have an even tougher time because the controls menus are lengthy, stuffed with basketball jargon and there's no quick reference.

oh hell yes, I am NOT prepared for this.

..tomorrow.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Jolo posted:

That story mode in NBA2k16 is full of really weird bits. I'm really early on so no major spoilers.

You can name your character anything and the characters will refer to you as Freq but some load screens and in game bits refer to you by your created name. Also the game specifically points out that your sister is your twin even though she probably looks nothing like your character. The intro bits also feel really strange because your character doesn't gain any increase in abilities over the first several games. Then the game makes a huge deal out of choosing to go to the NBA or staying in college but makes the decision for you. This game is silly.

I really think these games could use a good training mode option in the my player mode to teach some of the basics like play calling and the basics of what each position focuses on during the game. For example, you can turn on outlines that show where you should stand or move as part of a play but these are all off by default.

For what it's worth a male/female pair of twins have to be fraternal anyway. Can't explain them being different races, though.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

BillmasterCozb posted:

im sorry you're illiterate and unable to read anything that isnt block capitals

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Novolin posted:

lol, sorry i cant read a doctor's handwriting

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

BillmasterCozb posted:

Thanks, and it's ok to like the game, too. I just think it's weird when people call it "the best story told in a video game", because undertale exists

I was on your side until this post.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ometeotl posted:

I was on your side until this post.

:shittydog: is better than missile

edit: im sorry, i was wrong, all dogs are good dogs

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

But seriously, scribbly text, you could have turned on the text overlay if you were having problems reading it. Don't go off saying that it's hidden behind menus. The first thing anyone should do before they play a game is to go to options and make sure subtitles are on

I don't have an opinion on Gone Home, having not played it, but subtitles turned off by default is a bad design choice and should not be something that persists.

Captain Novolin posted:

Why are the response to the guy not liking Gone Home so hostile? If is he is trolling, it's not as though not liking that game is a personal failing or anything to that nature, which some responses don't even imply, but outright state (talking about ,,those types" and somesuch).

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

90% of the interesting stuff and plot in gone home is in the handwritten notes, so dismissing all of them because they're "hard to read" (they're not if you've ever read anyone's handwriting ever) means you're basically ignoring the stuff that's worth a poo poo in that game. its not that he didn't like it, its that he has a completely idiotic reason for not liking it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Some of them seriously are hard to read, especially in a small TV. It's fine since you can turn on the captioning but it's not a crazy complaint. I wish I could have zoomed in more.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

How much of Gone Home is voice narrated versus read text? I ask for the enjoyment of another person who will be observing but at the same time as surfing the internet.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Szurumbur posted:

Why are the response to the guy not liking Gone Home so hostile? If is he is trolling, it's not as though not liking that game is a personal failing or anything to that nature, which some responses don't even imply, but outright state (talking about ,,those types" and somesuch).

I don't really have a horse in this race but calling something pretentious is typically very :rolleye:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fix posted:

How much of Gone Home is voice narrated versus read text? I ask for the enjoyment of another person who will be observing but at the same time as surfing the internet.
there are 24 voice journals to find that comprise the main story, but a great deal of the background and supporting details are things you pick up and read.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Novolin posted:

90% of the interesting stuff and plot in gone home is in the handwritten notes, so dismissing all of them because they're "hard to read" (they're not if you've ever read anyone's handwriting ever) means you're basically ignoring the stuff that's worth a poo poo in that game. its not that he didn't like it, its that he has a completely idiotic reason for not liking it.

Then have the game enable subtitles by default and you'll have a much more accessible game and you'd be able to dismiss such complaints without those fine bits of goalposts moving (I know it's not your game, a general "you").

For example, in Until Dawn every document, handwritten or not, is accompanied with on-screen text - redundant, perhaps, but certainly not unwelcome.

rabidsquid posted:

I don't really have a horse in this race but calling something pretentious is typically very :rolleye:

I don't disagree, actually, but one can engage with an argument without trying to insult the other person as a first recourse.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

rabidsquid posted:

I was wrong to call it pretentious, but watching people discuss it feels like being at a wine testing party.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

You have to admit you came to the party chugging beers and playing Farmville so you got what you deserved.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Soft Shell Crab posted:

You have to admit you came to the party chugging beers and playing Farmville so you got what you deserved.

lol

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Szurumbur posted:

subtitles turned off by default is a bad design choice and should not be something that persists.

Really? I absolutely hate subtitles; they always distract my eye from what's actually happening on screen, which in something like the Witcher 3 is awful because so much of the subtle animation tells a story.

Do you always have subtitles on in movies, too?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

Really? I absolutely hate subtitles; they always distract my eye from what's actually happening on screen, which in something like the Witcher 3 is awful because so much of the subtle animation tells a story.

So turn them off. The problem here is having them off by default means someone can miss out on dialogue (especially in games that default them to off and start instantly with an opening cutscene or something similar), whereas on by default means you're just annoyed and turn them off at the first opportunity.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

Hell yeah, every time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I usually turn them on because games often have atrocious surround mixes that makes dialogue super hard to hear sometimes. Seems like they've gotten a bit better at this lately though.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

The problem - sometimes neglegible though it might be - with subtitles turned off by deafault is two-fold:
1) some games (such as Max Payne 3) have cutscenes playing before you can even set subtitles. Not to mention some games (and films, even) have garbage sound mixing
2) I don't think there's a industry-wide policy where to put the option - sometimes in Display, sometimes in Audio, Gameplay even.

I think the best solution would be to have a simple toggle at the beginning of the game, so the players can have the option set to their liking without hunting for it - with the age of tutorials we now live in, it's often unnecessary to go to the Options for the purpose of learning the control scheme.

Film don't have such problems typically, since the set-up options are obvious and most of the times set "on" be default.

I do find my gaze drawn to the subtitles, but that's a small price to pay for the convenience.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

...makes sense I guess. I wasn't being intentionally rude, I just never realised anyone used them unless hard of hearing or maybe if the spoken language isn't the player's native tongue. It always pissed me off when a game has them on for the opening scene without being able to turn them off.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Naughy Dog games usually let you turn subs on/off by pressing Square during cutscenes. It's pretty great.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

...makes sense I guess. I wasn't being intentionally rude, I just never realised anyone used them unless hard of hearing or maybe if the spoken language isn't the player's native tongue. It always pissed me off when a game has them on for the opening scene without being able to turn them off.
Better options for this would definitely be better, it's only just recently (that is, in the last 4-5 years or so) that providing subtitles for games has been a consistent thing and the standards haven't really been put into any sort of place as far as I've seen.

Developers are still bad about it too. A lot of games still don't bother providing subtitles for ambient dialog, which is very annoying.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

gibbed posted:

Better options for this would definitely be better, it's only just recently (that is, in the last 4-5 years or so) that providing subtitles for games has been a consistent thing and the standards haven't really been put into any sort of place as far as I've seen.

Yeah, what happened with the thing on 360 where you could set default control schemes for everything? Seems like controls, subtitles, volume levels, gamma etc. would be really suited to being system wide and just tweakable in game.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah, what happened with the thing on 360 where you could set default control schemes for everything? Seems like controls, subtitles, volume levels, gamma etc. would be really suited to being system wide and just tweakable in game.
I was really hoping that would make it in this generation across all consoles, but at least on PS4 it didn't happen (don't have a XB1). Then again, Sony still doesn't bother to provide a X/O toggle and still lets developers hardcode it. :v:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

BillmasterCozb posted:

I was wrong to call it pretentious, but watching people discuss it feels like being at a wine testing party.

What is a wine testing party?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

qbert posted:

What is a wine testing party?

It's something very pretentious, whatever it is.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I tasted all the wine in this thread and it SUCKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PlayStation Store 2016: Taste the Whine

• Locked thread