Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Quick newbie question. Is it worth throwing a fire stone in my katana? It seems to take a good amount of physical damage off, but I hear fire damage is all the rage this far. I guess I am going to build a strength/vitality knight I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
no

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

Quick newbie question. Is it worth throwing a fire stone in my katana? It seems to take a good amount of physical damage off, but I hear fire damage is all the rage this far. I guess I am going to build a strength/vitality knight I guess.

I hope you mean Vigor. Vitality is basically worthless / Fashion Souls Tax.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Kild posted:

I hope you mean Vigor. Vitality is basically worthless / Fashion Souls Tax.

Yeah, I think so.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

vigor is hp, vitality is encumbrance just to be sure. I always get those two confused

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Fire weapons stun a lot of mobs in a very convenient way and get around some DRs(i.e. oozes) but you can buy a Torch for 300 souls or use Firebombs for the same effect.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Help me out with this dual torch build please

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

SynthOrange posted:

Buy two torches and equip one in each hand.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

there's no point in holding a second torch so why bother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY10WWUWhcc

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

SynthOrange posted:

The torch does lovely damage, even fully upgraded, and can't be buffed/infused/enchanted.
It also can't do crits, so...yeah. Good luck with that. Maybe someone else will have a brilliant idea.

Mzbundifund posted:

Buy two torches and equip one in each hand.

I'm surprised at how loudly I laughed at this. :thumbsup:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Apparently the dual katanas onislayer has a ton of hyper armour now and also got a damage buff so that's neat.

The claw jumping attack got the same thing but lol claws.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Dual torch build. Equip the Immolation tinder in your left hand and the gargoyle flame hammer in your right.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Wow, Dark Hand has been buffed and is now use able as a weapon. Before it only use to do piddly physical damage when wielded in the right hand. Now it actually does the listed damage including the substantial dark component. My pyromancer with 35 INT/FTH and base STR/DEX does about 100 physical and 260 dark with it. Very happy that I now get to have two glowing red hands and have it be viable since I hated using it as a shield and the grab was impossible to land. Goodbye weapons!

Also a great source of dark damage while looking stylish since dark pyromancies suck.

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 12, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The dark orb and combustion are okay. The snake is trash.

Ugh invasion gripes. If a summoned phantom is embered they show up as host of ember, making hunting the actual host a huge pain. Grump!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

that's not why they show up as the host. they're just wearing the untrue dark ring.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
When you invade it says whose world it is. The guy with that name is the host.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Until you enter a world with three identical players that all share the same name. They even went the full mile and mimicked each other's actions whenever possible. :shepface: I actually felt bad that I won that one, but I had no idea that the one I killed first was the real host.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yesterday i met some weird party who were all named BLACK KNIGHT and had diffrent black knight weapons. I killed them all because for some weird reason they just rushed through the pontiff area and i picked them off one by one at the archers. I even invaded them a second time with similar results. I have no idea what they were aiming for :shepface:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cyberventurer posted:

Until you enter a world with three identical players that all share the same name. They even went the full mile and mimicked each other's actions whenever possible. :shepface: I actually felt bad that I won that one, but I had no idea that the one I killed first was the real host.

This is awesome. :O Reminds me of how Saints Row 1 had the enforced gang outfits for your clan.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Cyberventurer posted:

Then go for the one that's on fire. It's not hard people....

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wow, Irithyll. Those enemies are fast as gently caress and will punish you for trying to roll close to them. And those wall hacking witches? gently caress right off.

Anyway, just wondering if with Anri I can back up my save, kill the pilgrim and then once I've beaten Aldrich/beaten the game restore that save and do the other ending of her questline?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Why isn't Patches selling me his Horsehoof ring?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Not sure what the trigger for him selling it is, but he doesn't do it right away. I usually see it on him after I've got him a fire link for a bit and he teaches me his squat.

Or you could just kill him for it because gently caress Patches anyway.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Wow, Irithyll. Those enemies are fast as gently caress and will punish you for trying to roll close to them. And those wall hacking witches? gently caress right off.

Anyway, just wondering if with Anri I can back up my save, kill the pilgrim and then once I've beaten Aldrich/beaten the game restore that save and do the other ending of her questline?

Sorry, should mention I'm on PS4.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
4gamer interview with Miyazaki (rev up your google)

https://twitter.com/xenosaga7/status/742010065943564289

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Which one is the most fun: Pyromancer, Sorcerer or Cleric?

(I've done a quality build so far)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Confirmed, the first part of Irithyll is tedious buuuuulllllllllsheeeeeeeit

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

And no, I didn't see it coming.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Gabby_Jay posted:

Of course you didn't, he's standing with his back to you :iamafag:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm ready for the Adventures of Cookie and Cream reboot

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Smol posted:

Which one is the most fun: Pyromancer, Sorcerer or Cleric?

(I've done a quality build so far)

They can all be fun. I've actually found that lvl 80 is in fact a good enough stopping point if you play your cards right so you don't need to go to 120 if you don't want to. Personally I like cleric the best but pyromancer has more flexibility and you can do OK with sorcery but the man grub staff makes a luck sorcery build possible which is really fun. So... Pick your poison there really is no wrong answer.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

Instant Grat posted:

Of course you didn't, he's standing with his back to you :iamafag:
That joke is cooked to perfection :thumbsup:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Number 2 could be so many things that I could get mega hyped over.

Number 1 should be Kings Field.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Does anyone have any experience/theorycrafting math with the Man-grub Staff? Is it worth it to raise luck instead of faith for dark sorceries?

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Gabby_Jay posted:

The best joke in the series.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

Wow, Dark Hand has been buffed and is now use able as a weapon. Before it only use to do piddly physical damage when wielded in the right hand. Now it actually does the listed damage including the substantial dark component. My pyromancer with 35 INT/FTH and base STR/DEX does about 100 physical and 260 dark with it. Very happy that I now get to have two glowing red hands and have it be viable since I hated using it as a shield and the grab was impossible to land. Goodbye weapons!

Also a great source of dark damage while looking stylish since dark pyromancies suck.

I actually have a pyromancer going as well and I was wondering what kind of weapon I should use.
I missed Yuria though so I'm gonna need someone to drop it for a trade...

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 12, 2016

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

In the end I just kept with my Sellsword Twinblades because this is the first time I played through a Dark Souls game without switching weapons. From start to finish I was using my twinblades and they were very effective weapons (thanks to a high DEX and Sharp imbue).

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Then go for the one that's on fire. It's not hard people....

I thought the fire effect only shows up for yourself on your screen. I don't think I've ever noticed it on other people when I invaded.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Cyberventurer posted:

I thought the fire effect only shows up for yourself on your screen. I don't think I've ever noticed it on other people when I invaded.

Your right. I'm dumb. Ignore me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Actually you're right, I'm dumb. Ignore me instead.

I invaded someone to check just now and the red shimmer does appear from time to time, but you don't see the embers that float off. It must be pretty infrequent though, since I only noticed it once.