Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's really amazing how the seemingly little thing of MS including a cheap headset back on the 360 made the voice communication culture of players diverge between Playstation and Xbox and it continues to this day, even though Sony tried to fix it with the PS4.

people don't join public voice chat because they are in parties with their friends

edit: i see like 1 person every third match talking in the public voice chat on pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I know it wouldn't be fair, but personally I would love if they would make it so random Overwatch games have a Highlander rule. Like, I get how a coordinated, communicating team could steamroll through 6 Torbjorns, but when you're just with randoms, it's... not great. Same with Bastion or Mei and probably Symmetra too.

I actually wouldn't mind a highlander rule at all. Though lately I've seen gimmick teams a lot less often.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I actually wouldn't mind a highlander rule at all. Though lately I've seen gimmick teams a lot less often.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the competitive mode will work, you can already set up highlander games in customs so the logic is already there in the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I know it wouldn't be fair, but personally I would love if they would make it so random Overwatch games have a Highlander rule. Like, I get how a coordinated, communicating team could steamroll through 6 Torbjorns, but when you're just with randoms, it's... not great. Same with Bastion or Mei and probably Symmetra too.

Personally I think there should be a hard limit of two of the same hero at once on a team rather than one. Just for a bit of leeway if someone takes your main. Or if someone crap takes Reinhardt.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

goferchan posted:

For what it's worth DS3 is probably the beat game in the trilogy to play like you're playing Bloodborne. My roommate who has never played a Souls game/BB before and honestly isn't that good at video games powered through without ever using a shield just because he couldn't get the hang of them and I was really impressed. Also I feel you on the chalice dungeons -- I didn't think they were THAT bad, but, like, one of my favorite things about BB/Souls is that the environment is so well-designed that you're never hurting for lack of a map. There are always landmarks and distinctive areas to help you navigate. Chalice dungeons sort of throw that out the window and even the predetermined ones feel like really generic, half-assed dungeons.

I generally like DS3 so far now that I cleared the second boss and have a better feel of the mechanics. I find the shield isn't really a huge deal, it is just that my brain goes bloodborne and often just ignores it. Without health regen, I kind of appreciate having something that at least gives you a modicum of protection. Especially since the game is totally stingy with ester flasks. Also, I really dig the look of the knight, which sort of blows because I would probably do better with a more nimble character. I do miss that bb looks could trump since 90% of the time you really didn't need the bonuses they were conferring unless you were fighting something super poisonous or frenzy inducing. Either way, I unloaded a lot of his baloney so I could roll more like a boss. As we all know if you can't roll you can't ball.

Also I know the souls series is about getting gud and all that poo poo, but would it kill them to put some on screen cues for new weapons. Like hey shithead this is how you use the crossbow, it is kind of idiotic that I have to go to google for stuff like that way too often. I don't really need my hand held, but I could use at least a nudge in the right direction from the game. I literally spent 20 minutes on the stupid wall just fiddling with the triggers trying to actually figure out the mechanical differences in attacks. I still don't understand the whole weapons art thing yet.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 11, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Having a newest model PS3 now, I really wish the PS4 had a top loader and not a front loader for discs. Why is it that the simpler and more reliable system is what only gets implemented on the final version for Playstations? At least the second version of the PS4 has proper buttons.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 11, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

the truth posted:

Now that people have had more time with it, are people still enjoying Overwatch?

I think it's hard to find where issues lie in Overwatch. A lot of it has to do with gamers are just very stupid people and Overwatch is exclusively a team based game with objectives beyond your kill:death ratio. Gamers have a very difficult time understanding Overwatch simple objectives, but defend a point, get on the payload, capture an objective? These are really complex ideas for most people playing this game. So it can get pretty frustrating to play if you're not with friends is what I am saying.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A part of me misses the Demoman's "GIT ON TH' BLOODY POINT YE HALFWIT" callout because good God do some pubbies need it.

On the other hand "The payload and I move as one."

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
unlawfulsoup, unsless you're using like one specific ring there's no benefit to keeping your equip load below 70% in Dark Souls 3. Earlier games are different but in 3 there's no mobility difference between 0% and 69.9%

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Well, technically there is, but it has to do with the length of your roll, not the speed. So yeah, 95% of the time it doesn't matter.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Buying two copies of Overwatch, one for a friend and one for me. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Probably getting Battlefield 1 in a few months. That's more shooters than I have bought in years.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I played a cool mode in nba2k that simulated game 4 of the finals but lmao it's apparently only available on the actual day of the game so all the voiceover and poo poo for each game is only accessible on one day? Lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm gonna upgrade to have a quieter ps4 since i have the OG one that's loud, prone to disc drive failure, and uses too much power.

if i had a ver. 2 ps4 i probably wouldn't upgrade.

Yeah, I'm upgrading for similar reasons. I don't have disc drive failure, but I couldn't beat Doom because it overheated a lot near the end game, which was the first time I've ever had that happen with any game. I thought it was limited to Doom, but it's overheated a couple times with The Witcher 3.

nictuku
Mar 25, 2016

Manatee Cannon posted:

there were like 4-5 full groups playing just tonight going by the overwatch goon community, dude. it wouldn't be hard to do it if people felt like it

How do I find this community?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nictuku posted:

Make psn friends with someone in it and then join after searching through the community tab

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

Make psn friends with someone in it and then join after searching through the community tab

Or just ask what the community name is and search for it...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TaurusOxford posted:

Or just ask what the community name is and search for it...

Can you do that? I thought you could only see ones that friends have but i havent looked at it since the feature launched

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

Can you do that? I thought you could only see ones that friends have but i havent looked at it since the feature launched

They added a search function a while back. Made it handy for finding the biggest Gundam Breaker 3 community.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How is Nights of Azure? Metacritic doesn't rate it highly and it is $25 on Amazon right now. Pretty cheap for a 3 month old game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waltzing Along posted:

How is Nights of Azure? Metacritic doesn't rate it highly and it is $25 on Amazon right now. Pretty cheap for a 3 month old game.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a fairly shallow action RPG with demon summons and the story is mostly about the exceptionally heavy implied lesbian romance between the main characters. I didn't regret buying it at launch but $25 is a much better price for it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You can make some real hosed up abominations with the asymmetry feature in NBA2K16. Too bad it reset it immediately after hitting "complete".

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

NBA2k16 is fun to play but goddamn is it glitchy as hell and the interface sucks rear end. What a hot mess of a game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

"Hot mess" seems to aptly describe most of 2K's sports games.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!
Real dumb question here, but I'm planning on upgrading my hdd tomorrow and am curious if my usb sd card adapter will work for installing the firmware that any other thumbstick would. It's formatted to fat32 already.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Suicide Pacmen posted:

Real dumb question here, but I'm planning on upgrading my hdd tomorrow and am curious if my usb sd card adapter will work for installing the firmware that any other thumbstick would. It's formatted to fat32 already.

Worked on the PS3; don't know if the PS4 is the same. If it appears as a single drive it shouldn't be an issue.

You could always give it a test run. I'd at least back up your saves first though, and maybe make the entire drive image.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I just got my 1TB 'Nathan Drake Special Edition' PS4 last Thursday from EB Games in a bundle. I placed the back of the console about 10cm away from the wall (as instructed in the manual), in an open air part of my room. I did have the heater on for a lot of time though (it's Winter here in Aus and my house is col)

I've put some playtime into the console with Uncharted 4, and for the last day its just been in 'Rest Mode' as I got a Playstation Plus subcription and put it in Rest Mode to allow it to download this month's games (NBA and Gone Home)

I just noticed earlier that the orange light that usually goes on during 'Rest Mode' had disappeared, and when I tried to turn on the console, nothing happened (as in, it didn't turn on).

I change the powerpoint and tried again. Now, it did turn on. It came up with a message about being disconnected and loaded a bar to 100% to check nothing had been corrupted I guess.

After about 30 seconds it made a beeping sound which I recognised from when my PS3 used to overheat. I turned it off immediately, turned my heater off so it had more opportunity to cool, and also put it sideways so there's even more space from the back vent (about 30cm now).

1) Does the console shut itself off its overheating (even in Rest Mode)? Is that what probably happened with my console?
2) Is it likely that anything was 'damaged' from it if anything did overheat, or that there is a hardware issue out of the box (ie; I've heard people talk about thermal paste problems online)?
3) Is this anything to be too concerned about? I suppose all I can do is what I've already done - make sure there's even more ventilation, keep an eye on the temperature, and clean the vents regularly.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

3) Is this anything to be too concerned about? I suppose all I can do is what I've already done - make sure there's even more ventilation, keep an eye on the temperature, and clean the vents regularly.

You need fans. Lots of fans.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!
Uncharted 4 makes my PS4 fans go full blast so I'd say you need more ventilation.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I don't even get how you would play some characters like Tracer with a controller... high level play for a lot of the characters is super reliant on fast turning.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

use a xim

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

de la peche posted:

You need fans. Lots of fans.

and some weird bathroom furniture to mount it on. I'm sure someone has the relevant picture.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I don't even get how you would play some characters like Tracer with a controller... high level play for a lot of the characters is super reliant on fast turning.

the other players can't turn quick either

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Manatee Cannon posted:

the other players can't turn quick either

True, but the ones to be wary of with someone like Tracer don't actually need to turn quickly (Mei, Symmetra, and Winston)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Housh posted:

NBA2k16 is fun to play but goddamn is it glitchy as hell and the interface sucks rear end. What a hot mess of a game.
It seems pretty good to me

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I did play one game with a guy who just repeatedly shot and made almost all threes with curry from almost half court

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I've had players switch team uniforms during free throws and Shaq doing a glitch dunk from half court just flying through players while sliding in the air.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

Housh posted:

Shaq doing a glitch dunk from half court just flying through players while sliding in the air.

Glitch?!

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Just up the controller sensitivity. Honestly she's fine since the only counter for her I see often enough is Mei. Symmetra only ever shows up on hollywood and nobody plays winston.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Housh posted:

I've had players switch team uniforms during free throws and Shaq doing a glitch dunk from half court just flying through players while sliding in the air.

Are you sure they're not on FIRE!? :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

nictuku posted:

Unless you got the answer elsewhere it's Goonerwatch.

• Locked thread