Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Norquist is all about vape rights now, we know what party spits that fat cotton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Isn't Gary Johnson currently winning in Utah?

No but Utah is tied, 35 each with Johnson at 13.

Also Mia Love is down five against her Democratic challenger.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gail Wynand posted:

How often do people report for debriefing because they saw some article on Snowden in the paper meaning they now know SAP information?

I'm sure there are some idiots who take matters to this extreme, just curious how frequent it is.

i know some IC guys irl who won't read the yospos security thread because snowden stuff regularly gets posted there

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Well this will be a fun week. As mentioned in the D&D chat thread, there are reports (e.g. BBC) of an active shooter with up to 20 wounded or dead in an Orlando night club (possibly a gay club).

So get ready for another round of poo poo about gun control and how it will never happen.

https://twitter.com/Journo_Christal/status/741896325403410432

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I'm not mistaken a singer was also murdered in Florida yesterday during a post-concert meet-and-greet.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gradenko_2000 posted:

If I'm not mistaken a singer was also murdered in Florida yesterday during a post-concert meet-and-greet.

Also in Orlando!

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Let's just get this out of the way: the answer is more guns, or at least do nothing about guns. Right?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mavric posted:

Let's just get this out of the way: the answer is more guns, or at least do nothing about guns. Right?

More guns for the good guys. Fewer (but not zero!) guns for the bad guys.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
EDIT: Nah, that was tacky.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 12, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Mavric posted:

If the shooter was of a certain religion or ethnicity, it's also less Muslims.

If it was an Islam-influenced attack on a gay nightclub, expect ludicrous amounts of thinly veiled schadenfreude and SHARIA LAW! from the right.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

Dead Reckoning posted:

EDIT: Nah, that was tacky.

You said to ban murder out right. I think we already did that, maybe we should also focus on the tools that allow murder to happen easily....

Naaaaa that's too tacky.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This isn't on NBC News, CBS News, ABC News, or CNN. Not a single headline. So, ummmm

But that is the real BBC website and twitter is blowing up with this.

So what the gently caress?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 12, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Antti posted:

If the shooter was of a certain religion or ethnicity, it's also less Muslims.

If it was an Islam-influenced attack on a gay nightclub, expect ludicrous amounts of thinly veiled schadenfreude and SHARIA LAW! from the right.

if it was an islam influenced attack on a gay nightclub, perhaps we can also talk about the dangerous levels of homophobia in the Islamic faith just as we would if it were a fundamentalist Christian.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This isn't on NBC News, CBS News, ABC News, or CNN. Not a single headline. So, ummmm

Orlando PD use encrypted police radios, so the lazy journalist source is out and everyone has to wait for real information in the normal way. That said, if you tuned in to Orlando Fire, you could catch an occasional request for status of MCI supplies and the availability of local ER beds, which really quenched my usual enthusiasm for arguing with strangers.

EDIT: Oh hey, now they're organizing EOD units. That bodes well for for absolutely nothing.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 12, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Wow, looking on twitter this has been trending for literally an hour. Both "Orlando" and "Pulse." And not a single major news agency in the US picked up on it until a few minutes ago. Even though tons of foreign agencies did.

What the gently caress

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Gurdian has it as well:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/12/orlando-shooting-nightclub-pulse-gunman

Apparently the British news media just cares more about the American gay community than the American news media :colbert:

Its probably just chance and I assume most of the other networks are still writing something up. Although you would at least expect a breaking banner or something.

Edit: Also the Australian news media now has it:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-12/florida-police-confirm-shooting-at-orlando-nightclub/7503770
http://www.smh.com.au/world/orlando-florida-nightclub-shooting-multiple-people-being-held-20160612-gphea8.html (from 20 minutes ago, with video outside the club)

Now on CNN: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting/index.html?adkey=bn

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 12, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's almost like dead LGBT people aren't very interesting (the real reason is most newdesks don't have big staff at 4 am, while BBC has their main newsdesk up already since they're 5 hours ahead of us )

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Reports currently say 20 wounded. So expect that go to 2-3 dead and 25 wounded in a little bit and then soon after make a huge jump to 15 dead, 20 wounded because ITS THE SAME loving STORY EVERY SINGLE TIME AND NOTHING EVER loving CHANGES

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Reports currently say 20 wounded. So expect that go to 2-3 dead and 25 wounded in a little bit and then soon after make a huge jump to 15 dead, 20 wounded because ITS THE SAME loving STORY EVERY SINGLE TIME AND NOTHING EVER loving CHANGES

There's apparently a hostage situation and he might have a bomb strapped to him.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There's apparently a hostage situation and he might have a bomb strapped to him.

Some reports have specifically stated no bomb.

But honestly it's best not to trust any news reports at the moment. Early news reports on these things normally seem to get most key facts wrong.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

dr_rat posted:

Apparently the British news media just cares more about the American gay community than the American news media :colbert:

Or maybe it's because most of the US is asleep while it's morning in London. You'll start to see coverage from American media in a couple hours.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Prepare for tons of scattered reports that there were multiple shooters when there was only one and that it turned out the gunman shot himself 5 minutes after the massacre started and there were never any hostages taken to begin with.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

2nd AMENDMENT! THIS IS WHAT THE FOUNDERS WANTED! :911: :911: :911:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ErIog posted:

Or maybe it's because most of the US is asleep while it's morning in London. You'll start to see coverage from American media in a couple hours.

CNN, MSNBC, and FOX news aren't some dinky local paper. While there's a bit of truth to that, all of them should have well enough people working the night shift to get something up.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Orlando Police report controlled explosion by law enforcement. They cancelled a scheduled press brief and said any updates will be provided on twitter.

https://twitter.com/OrlandoPolice/status/741919251678826496

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Radish posted:

He likes Asuka over Rei so he's right at least on that one.

leave this thread

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

icantfindaname posted:

leave this thread

He's not wrong.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Radish posted:

He likes Asuka over Rei so he's right at least on that one.

Delete your account

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/OrlandoPolice/status/741931400392249344

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mass shootings (or whatever term is appropriate) have become the backdrop to American life and are common enough that we have started to ignore them. They are kinda like bad weather in that you hear about it, think "wow it sucks that guy's house got hit by a tornado" then go back to whatever you were doing since there's nothing we can do to stop them with so many politicians actively hindering any attempt. Now that they have become so pervasive, gun rights people have shifted to "statistically you won't get killed in a mass shooting" which is true but there's a lot of things I probably won't get killed by that I still want to actually deal with and stop happening.

Also salty Rei fans in this thread.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Single payer GunCare for all. No exception. You will be provided with and accept 1 Rifle, 1 Shotgun, and 1 Handgun.

Ammo delivered yearly with the phone book for all three.

Mandatory carry of all 3 at all times.

Replace the Flag with a literal carpet of live cartridges.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Plus every time there is a shoot and we on SA have the good oll 2nd amendment debate which has a few different flavor from word definition to historical context, sometimes a poster goes into detail about the history of NRA and court rules etc.

My take on it is this. Gun owners have a dog in that fight because gun control directly affects their property. Where as the pro gun control group doesnt. I think this leads the pro gun control group to support any and all legislation, regardless of the logic or effectiveness of the legislation. The result is we end up with a lot of do nothing regulations. When gun owner seek to debate said legislation, they basically get a "gently caress you, well regulated, muskets only, no one should have guns" response rather than a well reason argument on why its a good thing a pistol magazine holds 10 bullets and not 13, or why its bad for a rifle to have a pistol grip vs a thumb hole stock.

So basically the relationship is very antagonistic with eachother.

The only way forward I can see that has a chance is for the pro gun control people to go Pro Gun. Do a grande bargain say its clear there is a problem the current laws arent working. Scrap the current laws reform a bunch of poo poo. Tell people they can buy machine guns and what ever else they want, in return for some laws that really do something. gently caress get the gun lobby to create their own loving proposal and go from there.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I was looking up relative rates of gun-related homicides by country and found this gem:

https://mises.org/blog/mistake-only-comparing-us-murder-rates-developed-countries

quote:

Note, however, that these comparisons always employ a carefully selected list of countries, most of which are very unlike the United States. They are countries that were settled long ago by the dominant ethnic group, they are ethnically non-diverse today, they are frequently very small countries (such as Norway, with a population of 5 million) with very locally based democracies (again, unlike the US with an immense population and far fewer representatives in government per voter). Politically, historically, and demographically, the US has little in common with Europe or Japan.

When you compare US gun death rates to Venezuela it's not so bad! Problem solved.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Uhh is that implying that not being one ethnic group if why the US needs to have guns? :staredog:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Radish posted:

Uhh is that implying that not being one ethnic group if why the US needs to have guns? :staredog:

That's exactly what it's saying. You'll hear it explicitly from people who want to make excuses for why the US can't be like the rest of the developed world.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Orlando PD just held a press conference, said 42 taken to local hospitals, around 20 dead remain inside club. They confirmed there was a hostage situation that was resolved when police breached a wall.

They confirmed a single suspect, killed at the scene by police. Armed with handgun, "assault-type" rifle, and wearing a "device" that was destroyed by police. They are still investigating other suspicious "devices" found at the scene. OPD and FBI said they were treating this as an act of terrorism but were very careful to state that they are investigating all angles/not ruling anything out. One officer referred to this as "domestic terrorism" then another was careful to say they are investigating this as terrorism, whether domestic or foreign is not certain. Another briefing is scheduled for 9:30.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 12, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lol at people getting spun up about the US MEDIA ignoring this at 5am on a Subday

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Sharkie posted:

Orlando PD just held a press conference, said 42 taken to local hospitals, around 20 dead remain inside club. They confirmed there was a hostage situation that was resolved when police breached a wall.

They confirmed a single suspect, killed at the scene by police. Armed with handgun, "assault-type" rifle, and wearing a "device" that was destroyed by police. They are still investigating other suspicious "devices" found at the scene. OPD and FBI said they were treating this as an act of terrorism but were very careful to state that they are investigating all angles/not ruling anything out. One officer referred to this as "domestic terrorism" then another was careful to say they are investigating this as terrorism, whether domestic or foreign is not certain. Another briefing is scheduled for 9:30.

And unsurprisingly that's causing people to immediately jump to islam/jihad comments on social media because obviously only brown people can be terrorists.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

PST posted:

And unsurprisingly that's causing people to immediately jump to islam/jihad comments on social media because obviously only brown people can be terrorists.

Actually the FBI guy said there were reasons to believe he had "Islamic Terrorist leanings". And the way the local cop jumped in to say they were sure he "wasn't local" makes me believe the killer had to be some shade of brown, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Radish posted:

Mass shootings (or whatever term is appropriate) have become the backdrop to American life and are common enough that we have started to ignore them.
We only ignore them when the shooter is white.

• Locked thread