Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Scaramouche posted:

Seventies = Tim, Egon Spengler = Rich, Ally McBeal = Holly, The Tramp = Amy, Dork Knobs = Colin?
I think he is referring to all her friends not just the ones that were there.

The Tramp = Ryan
Dork Knobs = Rich

Tragedienne posted:

I think The Tramp is Ryan, given that his father was King of the Tramps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh my god, a BeOS shirt :allears:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Latest story has begun (in the 'present') and Shelley is pregnant.

:stare:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
How does Tim manage to be impossibly retro at all times. That hair.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wait, is this new story labeled as a "Bad Machinery" thing? I thought it was over, then it wasn't, then it was definitely over. Huh. (And honestly I really respected that decision. The last case was about as good of a melancholy-but-hopeful send-off as that particular comic could get. Heck, it even had a theme of "good things end and change but that's good." )

Most webcomics either wrap up, or spiral out into indefinite hiatus town, of which two the first is obviously preferable. Looks like John Allison found a third way, though: constantly remixing characters and formats into new half-reincarnations of old comic titles. I assume this is all tied somehow to his amazingly consistent output.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 6, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It wasn't over, people misinterpreted something he said as meaning it was over, but just a few days ago in the news he was talking about how he had a great idea for the next case but it's going to have to go on hold until he can find the time to really do it justice, cause he looked at his schedule and realised it was bananas.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Did you miss this story?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I kind of forgot.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I kind of forgot.
How could you forget?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It didn't show up on the feed reader so I was confused when someone mentioned it above: why indeed is he labeling another Bobbins story as Bad Machinery. Unless it's some kind of weird meta humor... which I wouldn't put behind him what with the whole Bobbins.horse thing. He bought that domain for heaven's sake.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I kind of focused upon the tragic end of The Boy/the entirely deserved (and long overdue) end of Rich Tweedy.

Saoshyant posted:

It didn't show up on the feed reader so I was confused when someone mentioned it above: why indeed is he labeling another Bobbins story as Bad Machinery. Unless it's some kind of weird meta humor... which I wouldn't put behind him what with the whole Bobbins.horse thing. He bought that domain for heaven's sake.

Considering the title of the story is 'The Long Hiatus', I'm fairly certain it is weird meta humour.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's a hiatus from Bad Machinery, see?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh, duh. I've become so used to esoteric Bad Machinery case names that reveal their meaning by the end of the story, that I didn't even parse what the title was saying. "Bad Machinery: The Long Hiatus." Got it. Good one.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Good to see Lottie back on the scene

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Lottie's getting nastier with age.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yea she wasn't very fun to read last time

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I can never keep track of it, but isn't there like an undercurrent of the British class thing, and Lottie is on top? Or something like that? Maybe she's finally letting that go to her head?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

I can never keep track of it, but isn't there like an undercurrent of the British class thing, and Lottie is on top? Or something like that? Maybe she's finally letting that go to her head?

Lottie is not literal nobility, no.

Tim vs Lottie would be a level playing field, except this is the John Allison so the teenage girl is an almighty god of emasculation and sass.

For the British class struggle, please refer to Shelley's old boyfriend Bruno and the bobbins casts' reaction to him.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Lottie is not literal nobility, no.

Tim vs Lottie would be a level playing field, except this is the John Allison so the teenage girl is an almighty god of emasculation and sass.

For the British class struggle, please refer to Shelley's old boyfriend Bruno and the bobbins casts' reaction to him.

In this case, I think it's more of a Lottie thing specifically. As others have noted, she's been kind of a dick for a while now.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

In this case, I think it's more of a Lottie thing specifically. As others have noted, she's been kind of a dick for a while now.

I think Lottie is maybe a little cagey after seeing Shauna inexplicably (To Lottie) abandon her life for Blossom. If you really want a class struggle, maybe it's how Lottie just seems to do and say stuff and never worry about the consequences, and Shauna never can.

Something I notice rereading The Missing Piece is how much Lottie gets left alone, by everybody. And it's not really because they think she's being lovely, but they're just too busy with their own lives to stay with her. Shauna is constantly dropping Lottie to go after Blossom, or Daz, or her bio dad. She asks Linton for some party cups and Linton runs to Little Claire. At the Finsters' wedding she ends up in the children's conga line because even Mildred is busy. It's never in the foreground.

Edit: Also Lottie is barely offensive in The Missing Piece. She's astronomically worse in Forked Road.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 8, 2016

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I think Lottie is maybe a little cagey after seeing Shauna inexplicably (To Lottie) abandon her life for Blossom.

It's pretty inexplicable to me too. Blossom threatened to frame Shauna for murder at one point. I can't see anyone just forgetting about that. But apparently Shauna forgave it, or Allison forgot about it

Then there was all the bullying stuff at the start of the chapter where she was going around apparently terrorizing the school. And was all set to beat up Shauna for kicks, and only didn't cause Shauna preempted her insults.

Then, the very first time Blossom was mad at Shauna after becoming friends, she went and blabbed Shauna's biggest darkest secret to the person it would hurt most.

It just make no sense to me that Shauna would be able to forgive all that unless she's a saint.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Galvanik posted:

It just make no sense to me that Shauna would be able to forgive all that unless she's a saint.

She honestly seems like the type that would go in for the challenge.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Galvanik posted:

It's pretty inexplicable to me too. Blossom threatened to frame Shauna for murder at one point. I can't see anyone just forgetting about that. But apparently Shauna forgave it, or Allison forgot about it

Then there was all the bullying stuff at the start of the chapter where she was going around apparently terrorizing the school. And was all set to beat up Shauna for kicks, and only didn't cause Shauna preempted her insults.

Then, the very first time Blossom was mad at Shauna after becoming friends, she went and blabbed Shauna's biggest darkest secret to the person it would hurt most.

she got it in her head that Blossom's a charity case that needs saving, and every lovely thing she does is just further evidence of her inner pain

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Shelley just marked her Facebook relationship status as "complicated".

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Saoshyant posted:

Shelley just marked her Facebook relationship status as "complicated".

Nice looks like Allison's facebook actually has content and artwork not available elsewhere, thanks for the tip, liked and followed!
https://www.facebook.com/badmachinery/

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That's horrifying.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/jodocho/status/740291618931146752

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Shelley, you really have no room to talk here.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I feel like at least some of Shelley's deaths were Tim's fault as well.

And to be fair to poor former Mayor Jones, the last time he blew up his house it wasn't his fault. The devil bear infestation though...

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Which is the bigger homewrecker?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Rich? :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Shelley, you really have no room to talk here.

Came here to post this. I really should have expected to be beaten to it :v:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Captain Bravo posted:

Shauna is working class, Lottie is lower-middle to middle-middle class and Mildred is middle-middle verging on upper-middle class. That sentence completely fails to explain the inexplicable intricacies of the English class system, of course, which no foreigner can ever fully understand.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh yeah, we already knew Shelley was pregnant.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

They broke up way too fast considering all the poo poo they went through to get together

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
given the framing of this story, i'm not convinced the breakup will stick

also given he's still loitering outside her window

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If someone's doing someone else's yardwork, they're not really broken up.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pistol_Pete posted:

Shauna is working class, Lottie is lower-middle to middle-middle class and Mildred is middle-middle verging on upper-middle class. That sentence completely fails to explain the inexplicable intricacies of the English class system, of course, which no foreigner can ever fully understand.

There are so many class dynamics going on in the allison-verse it really amazes me that non-british people are able to follow it.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

It's really not that hard. British people just think it is because they want to think they're special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

a pipe smoking dog posted:

There are so many class dynamics going on in the allison-verse it really amazes me that non-british people are able to follow it.

Well there is this handy guide for anyone who is confused.

• Locked thread