Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Such a grumpy old gal :D

I think it might be less :potato: and more that she likes the thickness under her feet as it will be easy for old 'tiels to grab hold of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Not sure if I mentioned this but Toast is very, very, very slowly learning to grasp stuff with his tiny grabby feet :eyepop: He has started trying to grab cotton bud sticks, chewy bits of paper/cardboard, and his toys. He has also accepted jangly ball #3 into his Accepted Toys List, after realising it is much the same as his other jangly balls, only a different colour. (Jangly ball #1 is pink, jangly ball #2 is orange and blue, and jangly ball #3 is white.)

He's also figured out how to get from my bed/desk through the door to his cage and back. The other week it was very stormy (a fig tree at the nearby pub got knocked over and hosed up traffic for a while, while a number of others dropped branches onto roofs, roads, and back yards) and he decided that meant it was time to BATHE IN ALL THE THINGS, so he got to test out the new bathroom sink and splashed water all over the mirror.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

It's really fun watching pets grow up and learn things. I lost my cat a few years back and she was like 17-18 and had figured out a ton of stuff, how to open doors, when its allowed to wake me up, that sorta stuff. And now I have this rear end in a top hat punk 2 year old calico who im slowly trying to teach some manners to. Pets are fun like that.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Look at that grammatiel :3:

Judah and the cat are in some sort of idiot feedback loop this morning where he yells and the cat bolts around the living room which makes him yell more which seems to make her run more.

I'm contemplating just going back to bed.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Maestro keeps cuddling up to my hand so I can pick the casings off his dried pin feathers, and there's one that he's very insistent that I get, but as soon as I touch it he screams and bites me...and then shoves his head into my hand again. :confused:

I will help you, bird, but you have to work with me. :argh:

Anyway, here's the spoiled poo poo monster in question:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Captain Log posted:

Edit - AND I forgot the reason I posted it. I gave her one of there next to her normal "Let me out" space and she devoured it in days. I put the seconds one in and she thinks it's a perch rather than a delicious treat.

learnincurve posted:

Such a grumpy old gal :D

I think it might be less :potato: and more that she likes the thickness under her feet as it will be easy for old 'tiels to grab hold of.

Yeah, looks like she's also got her tail on top of something too for extra stability. Get that old lady a shelf perch :3:

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/CAGE_ACCESSORIES-Prevue_Corner_Perch_for_Small_Birds.html
http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/CAGE_ACCESSORIES-Stainless_Steel_12_Corner_Rest_Shelf_5_8.html
http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/FLAT_PERCHES-Polly_s_Comfy_Clam_Flat_Perch_Large.html
http://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/corner-shelf
http://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/long-shelf

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I need that and I don't even have long hair anymore :3:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I need that and I'm male.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Potato Salad posted:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

So awesome! Thank you!

(I still maintain she is being adorably dim. :3: )

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Pip pip pip posted:

Earlier this week I bought some sheets of 1/8" acrylic to make seed guards for the bird cage that don't look like crap. Three days without vacuuming around the bird cage and there are a minimal amount of pellets on the floor. Success! The clear acrylic sheets are barely noticeable too.

Here's Ozzy modeling with his home upgrade. The plastic wraps around the side of the cage where the two food dishes are. I drilled holes so I can use the food dish holders to attach them to the side of the cage.

I probably should have taken the picture after I cleaned the cage. Oh well you guys get to look at bird poop

The food guards I made couple weeks go are working even better than I had hoped. Unfortunately, Nugget started molting, then 4 days later Ozzy decided that sounded fun and started molting too. There are lots of feathers everywhere but basically no pellets on the floor so I call it a win :haw:

I have yet to get conclusive photographic evidence that Nugget and Ozzy are in fact BFFs. We keep catching them out of the corner of an eye sitting right next to eachother all puffed up and cute, but upon being seen they split up immediately. Birds are weird.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Potato Salad posted:

:same:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

LAB my SO wants it too. LAB, where do you get it?

Edit: I believe my weaboo roommate will have to help me procure it. http://page22.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l342494457

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 12, 2016

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Ughhhhhhh I want it!!! Why did I get my hair cut too short to actually use it?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Do you ever, while cooking, make a bunch of weird, "Ooooh bibbidy boop BOP HEYO!" noises over and over again like you're doing vocal fills for a song that you would find in the "WORLD" section of the used bookstore and then look behind you and from across the apartment your old GrandmaTiel is just sitting there, floofed up, silently judging you?

Because that might have just happened to me.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yes.

We had a Justin Timberlake dance off with the 'tiels the other day. No judgement.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's just silly - you all own actual birds. Clearly what you need is a headband with a little perch on the side :colbert:.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Dreggon do this

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Finally caught Pion throwing jingle-balls on video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92c3AeKZulk

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'll be damned - Pion really doesn't look derpy from head on. I was wondering if it was just the framing of a picture from a while ago that was conveniently flattering to his head, but he really doesn't look bug-eyed like potatoes tend to from a directly head-on perspective.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

I'll be damned - Pion really doesn't look derpy from head on. I was wondering if it was just the framing of a picture from a while ago that was conveniently flattering to his head, but he really doesn't look bug-eyed like potatoes tend to from a directly head-on perspective.

That one a little while ago was Putni, actually. I think it has to do with exact angle up/down, perhaps angle of head to body, and whether the eyebrows are angry.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So you are saying both your birds are mega photogenic

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
It's getting cold enough that a couple of times when I've come home from work, Toast is snuggled up in his cozy fuzzy tent, rather than singing to the mysterious and handsome (and mysteriously handsome and handsomely mysterious) bird in his favourite mirror... And isn't trying to escape when I put him in my dressing gown sleeves.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love when Judah just wakes up happy :kimchi: As soon as I uncovered him he was chattering and burbling and being a charming motherfucker.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Dreggon do this

Why can't I,

hold all these limes?

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Good God Mookie, I can't preen you if you're going to be a cranky poo poo about it.

Anybody have a good line on some chainmail gloves?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
For the last week or so Garrus and Gillian go straight to mating when I take the cover off in the morning. Cmon birbs I'm trying to eat breakfast over here...

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hungry Computer posted:

For the last week or so Garrus and Gillian go straight to mating when I take the cover off in the morning. Cmon birbs I'm trying to eat breakfast over here...
Morning wood

:v:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Lately Inko has been getting it on with a toy most mornings around 6:30am and for those of you who haven't heard a GCC getting off it's even more disturbing than it sounds... :saddowns:

nielsm posted:

Finally caught Pion throwing jingle-balls on video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92c3AeKZulk

I like the angry squeals they make when they do this

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Dreggon do this

i'll die though

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Posted this in Backyard Chickens, then figured it would work here too.

Monique, the hen who is sailing around the world
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36475672

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So my niece, who is two in August, is turning into one of us :3: Whenever we facetime with her, she eventually starts going "twee-twee?" "birrrr!" until we show her Judah and then they sort of babble at each other for a minute or so and it's so cute I want to die

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

So my niece, who is two in August, is turning into one of us :3: Whenever we facetime with her, she eventually starts going "twee-twee?" "birrrr!" until we show her Judah and then they sort of babble at each other for a minute or so and it's so cute I want to die

It's like Judah is communicating with his peer!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I figure they're about the same level of intelligence right now :v:

It's super cute. I'm moving up nearer to the family next month so I'm excited to actually introduce them. They can babble incoherently at each other!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Tendai posted:

Yeah I figure they're about the same level of intelligence right now :v:

It's super cute. I'm moving up nearer to the family next month so I'm excited to actually introduce them. They can babble incoherently at each other!

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: parrots are toddlers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k2CbCC_Ej4

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Fresh water = GET ALL THE WATER OUT OF THE DISH IMMEDIATELY.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Official Bizness posted:

Fresh water = GET ALL THE WATER OUT OF THE DISH IMMEDIATELY.

Fuji does this, too. I have a perfectly nice bowl for the boodges to bathe in in the bottom of the cage, but nope, he wants to bathe in the water dish for drinking.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tardigrade posted:

Posted this in Backyard Chickens, then figured it would work here too.

Monique, the hen who is sailing around the world
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36475672

That's an amazing birb. The photos of her in the pot in the water, and on the board, are great :3: I hope she doesn't get quarantined/taken at any point

Dreggon posted:

i'll die though

Not if you have seeds and other offerings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Remember my comment from earlier about singing weird things in the kitchen and realizing you are being judged?

Well, I caught it on film.

https://vine.co/v/iLIn1qWYxEL