Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Wrecked Angle posted:

Browsing through the comments I saw this gem which I'm sure other ex-Eve players will enjoy...

Yes, using cost as a balancing mechanism always works fantastically well in vidya games.

I'm glad this guy is either Chris Roberts or a psychic since he knows information nobody could possible know.

That's my favorite backer cult talking point. "You seem to be mistaken, Everything will work exactly like this......."

THERE IS NO GAME. CIG HAS NO IDEA HOW THIS STUFF WILL WORK. HOW DO YOU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KiddieGrinder posted:

I used to think this, my parents got a dog recently and every time I see him he's sleeping. I always thought dogs were ones always up for playing and always running around being energetic; I don't think that anymore.

Depends on the dog. The German Shepard in my family absolutely loves to move around. Same with my landlords dog, super energetic and loves to play.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Dante80 posted:

Thanks for that. I'm wondering whether Popehat (Ken) would be eager to write something about it..maybe as a part of the whole TOS system debate. I remember him doing an article on SC back in 2015.

Someone should contact them..:wiggle:
Reading the actual legislation, it's pretty clear just how bad this ToS is. It wouldn't even be considered to be a valid contract as it simply is just too unfair on the end user. It creates a significant imbalance of rights and obligations between the two parties and would cause detriment to the end user if it were relied on or applied.

Also, the way they try to obfuscate the nature of the purchase by using "pledge" and the associated language would also strongly influence a court against CIG in any judgement.

Just look at this list in the legislation and see if anything below might be in the new ToS:

quote:

25 Examples of unfair terms

(1) Without limiting section 24, the following are examples of the kinds of terms of a consumer contract that may be unfair:

(a) a term that permits, or has the effect of permitting, one party (but not another party) to avoid or limit performance of the contract;

(b) a term that permits, or has the effect of permitting, one party (but not another party) to terminate the contract;

(c) a term that penalises, or has the effect of penalising, one party (but not another party) for a breach or termination of the contract;

(d) a term that permits, or has the effect of permitting, one party (but not another party) to vary the terms of the contract;

(e) a term that permits, or has the effect of permitting, one party (but not another party) to renew or not renew the contract;

(f) a term that permits, or has the effect of permitting, one party to vary the upfront price payable under the contract without the right of another party to terminate the contract;

(g) a term that permits, or has the effect of permitting, one party unilaterally to vary the characteristics of the goods or services to be supplied, or the interest in land to be sold or granted, under the contract;

(h) a term that permits, or has the effect of permitting, one party unilaterally to determine whether the contract has been breached or to interpret its meaning;

(i) a term that limits, or has the effect of limiting, one party's vicarious liability for its agents;

(j) a term that permits, or has the effect of permitting, one party to assign the contract to the detriment of another party without that other party's consent;

(k) a term that limits, or has the effect of limiting, one party's right to sue another party;

(l) a term that limits, or has the effect of limiting, the evidence one party can adduce in proceedings relating to the contract;

(m) a term that imposes, or has the effect of imposing, the evidential burden on one party in proceedings relating to the contract;

(n) a term of a kind, or a term that has an effect of a kind, prescribed by the regulations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

One thing I'm seeing a lot is that people are claiming the original $6 Million funding goal was for SQ42. And that the persistent universe was added on later and why it's taking so long.

Wasn't SQ42 a $40 million stretch goal?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LastCaress posted:

so many bugs they come from the future

No no, he's just a fast typer.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

One of my dogs is 13, and deaf now. He's the sweetest most affectionate dog though, and I just spent half an hour hugging him because of this thread. Thanks thread.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I'm glad this guy is either Chris Roberts or a psychic since he knows information nobody could possible know.

That's my favorite backer cult talking point. "You seem to be mistaken, Everything will work exactly like this......."

THERE IS NO GAME. CIG HAS NO IDEA HOW THIS STUFF WILL WORK. HOW DO YOU?

Citizens believe CIG will eventually hook up different landing zones, with procedural planets, space repair stations, FPS locations, derelict space wrecks, asteroid mining and still have those little pods you can play arena commander in. Currently CIG struggle to get enough players into an instance as a normal Overmatch game where they might get 20 FPS if lucky, the technology to seamlessly move between instances does not appear to exist, players type in chat begging others to come to the security outpost so they experience the joy of a combat system not one tenth as interesting as Quake, a game that's 20 years old and can run on a raspberry pi.

AP fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 12, 2016

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

AP posted:

so they experience the joy of a combat system not one tenth as interesting as Quake, a game that's 20 years old and can run on a raspberry pi.
And runs smoother than this horrible Frankenstein of code could ever dream of.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Scientists have never been able to photograph this dog sans-blur. She is simply too energetic and demanding of scratches.

Mika is a good dogge, and thread should like all cattes and dogges.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Just to add to the thread, I lost my catte to an incurable illness last Sunday, much sadness lately.

R.I.P. Butters :negative:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
FILE UNDER: "Oops, we forgot to put Fun in the game..."

https://m.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4nq9dg/is_it_just_me/

Is it just me posted:

"Is it just me that's having trouble finding fun on 2.4? I was so hyped and it just doesn't seem very good at all."

Guy who spent $500+ on spaceships posted:

"If I had above 20 fps I'd enjoy it....

I need a new CPU. That I5-4690K isn't cutting it."

No it's not just you posted:

"Yeap, I have this every patch. The progress is so slow. In big lines, the difference between now and 6 months ago is very small. It's kinda worrying to be honest, it looks like they can't get the fundamentals stable and well performing."

"It's not fun, it's [i posted:

IMPORTANT[/i]"]
I don't think many of the new features are necessarily "fun" features. Shopping, loadout persistence, earning aUEC from missions, and paying for repairs are, of course, all extremely necessary parts of the game even if they are not fun in isolation.

Personally I enjoy the ICC probe missions and exploring, which are still basically the same."

G0RF fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 12, 2016

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Goobs posted:

I think I would regret not going and I don't want him to feel alone when he goes. It's going to loving suck but I'm going to go in.

Good. I didn't go in when my beloved husky was put down for cancer. I was just a little kid at the time, but I've regretted it for years.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

CeeJee posted:

Star Citizen - Cry ENGINE and let slip the TOS of war

:perfect:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

CeeJee posted:

Star Citizen - Cry ENGINE and let slip the TOS of war

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Well this dogge is alive well and very energetic

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Coolguye posted:

Well this dogge is alive well and very energetic

Pro dogge

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ohtsam posted:

The new TOS is making neogaf turn on the game in a big way

I am in the mood to touch the poop. Got link?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is funny to me.

The buggy nature of the game;
The downright antagonistic attitude of customer support;
The lack of progress;
The dumb (web)shows;
The lack of knowledge displayed by THE LORD OF SHIPS;
The embarrassing goofs and fuckups (Khartu-Al seats, <nobody talks to THE LORD OF SHIPS);
The broken promises and outright lies (E3, Star Marine)

But no, its the new loving TOS that has people worried Star Citizen may not get released.

You're all loving stupid if you waited until the new TOS.

^this

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

CIG/F42 will close up shop, lock the doors, CR/Sandi/Ortwin/Erin will flee to a non-extradition country. Some of the backers will go "you know, I'm starting to think it's possible the game won't be out as promised".

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jason Sextro posted:

CIG/F42 will close up shop, lock the doors, CR/Sandi/Ortwin/Erin will flee to a non-extradition country. Some of the backers will go "you know, I'm starting to think it's possible the game won't be out as promised".

Pfffft. It's called refactoring the management team.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

The idea they'll try to partially refund everyone when the project fails is the most outlandish shitizen fantasy yet.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

D_Smart posted:

I am in the mood to touch the poop. Got link?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1155452&page=80

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

"lalt+f = teleport player to map center inside the beam"

What.

AP posted:

"player helmet cause radar monitor of avenger to being not visible"

Somewhere, a proofreader (if they have one) is sobbing quietly, rolled up in a ball.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jason Sextro posted:

Crowd funded mercenary hit squads.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Best part I find with issue council reports is the "Expected behavior" lines people need to type in.

Expected behavior: Have ankles
Expected behavior: Not explode

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Tarkoshe is going to feel real silly when this finally breathes it's last breath :D

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
click here if you want to see what the death of a space game looks like.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 12, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Decrepus posted:

I came home yesterday to a bisected and disemboweled babby bunny laying in front of my neighbors door because her cat killed it.

In conclusion, gently caress cats they are gay and also gently caress star citizen too.

On the other hand, rabbits are poo poo and I'm glad that one's dead.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A Neurotic Jew posted:

sounds like a good topic for a pgabz video, I'm sure he can relate

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Jason Sextro posted:

That would be a leap.
They'll go ”i think the game might get delayed, but i'm fine with that, i'm in it for the long run.”

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

orcinus posted:

That would be a leap.
They'll go ”i think the game might get delayed, but i'm fine with that, i'm in it for the long run.”

They're just on a well earned vacation :)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

orcinus posted:

What.

Somewhere, a proofreader (if they have one) is sobbing quietly, rolled up in a ball.

It's you

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Crowd funded mercenary hit squads.

I find that transpiring quite a stretch.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Jason Sextro posted:

CIG/F42 will close up shop, lock the doors, CR/Sandi/Ortwin/Erin will flee to a non-extradition country. Some of the backers will go "you know, I'm starting to think it's possible the game will be delayed".

FIFY

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Glad to see a CIG twitch shill in the game chat. You've got to keep your thought leaders on a leash.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Game is great all bugs gone

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

A Neurotic Jew posted:

this is about the only "positive" thing I've read in there so far

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

quote:

The game itself remains without a release date—the general feeling being that it’ll be done when it’s done. Still, there’s confidence that it will, eventually, be done. In the years since the project's initial reveal there has been the constant worry that it might end up as vapourware—all stylish screenshots and video, but never making it to a final release. It’s a consequence of the team’s open development. Professional studios only reveal projects after years of work. Star Citizen has been in the wild since day one. Viewed this way, their progress in the last four years has been remarkable.

I've doctored the quote by replacing just a handful of words and names.
Can you guess what it was originally referring to?

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-skywind-is-recreating-a-modern-classic/

That's right, a mod. A volunteer-driven mod.
Whoever said earlier that Star Citizen's and CIG's evolution through the years follows the exact same steps a mod would've, was spot on. And it's a scary thought when you think about it - that a $100+ million project with hundreds of people is being defended by narratives that befit a free mod driven by a handful of volunteers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

AP posted:

Sunday AM, To do list.

*big list of bugs*

Look at the state of it, just look at the state of it.

• Locked thread