Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lumpy posted:

Welcome to front end development!

Eh, it's not new to me, it's just can you call something dead when a ton of people still use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Noam Chomsky posted:

Eh, it's not new to me, it's just can you call something dead when a ton of people still use it?

Is dying better?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

Is dying better?

Well, what is dead may never die, so.... Bower for King of the Iron Islands?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of yeoman generators, what's the most accepted way to start up a new React SPA project? This would be something that only interacts with an API, so it won't require a back-end like Express or anything. Something that just compiles to static HTML/ES6/CSS and that I can just publish onto a lovely intranet Windows server or something (it's complicated).

I kinda feel like starting a new react site is so simple you don't really need anything to do it for you and if it wasn't quite so simple I'd rather not have someone else's idea of a good site structure.

Though, I also think that about most of the boilerplate/generators I see...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Professional development question:

I sorta fell into web dev, but I'm sticking with it, and it's time to start moving on, but I know I have some holes. The site I inherited is php/mysql/jquery and I've since added angular 1&2 stuff. But the site was made by non-webdevs so it uses no frameworks, build tools, testing, etc. I've been burned before in interviews by that (why I picked up angular), so if I want to fill those gaps, what sorts of things would you guys recommend I look into?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

dupersaurus posted:

I sorta fell into web dev, but I'm sticking with it, and it's time to start moving on, but I know I have some holes. The site I inherited is php/mysql/jquery and I've since added angular 1&2 stuff. But the site was made by non-webdevs so it uses no frameworks, build tools, testing, etc. I've been burned before in interviews by that (why I picked up angular), so if I want to fill those gaps, what sorts of things would you guys recommend I look into?

Angular 2 / React
Webpack
Gulp
Rails or Node for server side maybe

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

dupersaurus posted:

React
Redux
SaSS
Webpack
ES6/2015
Django
Angular 2

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Noam Chomsky posted:

Angular 2 / React
Webpack
Gulp

Don't do Rails, it is on it's way out and having "some" Rails will never get you a Rails job. C# or NodeJS are much more likely to benefit you for backend stuff. The first 3 are spot on though.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

Don't do Rails, it is on it's way out and having "some" Rails will never get you a Rails job. C# or NodeJS are much more likely to benefit you for backend stuff. The first 3 are spot on though.

I don't think Rails is on it's way out just because Node is currently more popular.

And a ton of people will tell you not to use Node because it's just a toy and has a lot of issues.

As someone who knows Ruby, Rails, and JS, and some Node, it's very difficult to decide which advice is worth following.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 11, 2016

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Didn't twitter move completely away from rails? No big companies behind it means a loss of momentum and eventual death.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I doubt Rails will completely vanish, for a lot of people it still is the fastest way to get something sellable working and migrating from it only happens if it's actually needed (SoundCloud is migrating to microservices with Scala for example, but I doubt your local business has the same needs).

I would recommend learning the basics of ruby/rails just in case and then focus on something else.

EDIT: Basically you don't want to be a Rails developer, but knowing how to use it will definitely help. At least around here knowing how to use the asset pipeline and other miscellaneous rails stuff is a requisite for a lot of otherwise pure frontend jobs.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 11, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gildiss posted:

Didn't twitter move completely away from rails? No big companies behind it means a loss of momentum and eventual death.

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-twitter-move-away-from-Ruby-on-Rails

quote:

RoR is not hard to scale. However, Scala tends to be more efficient than Ruby which translates into smaller hardware costs and lower latencies. For these reasons Twitter is moving most if not all of its backend services into Scala and/or Java. However, they still use RoR for their front end as it is easier to iterate with RoR and front end servers are typically easier to scale than backend services.

quote:

It's not that Rails doesn't scale, but rather, requests for "live" data in Ruby (or any interpreted language) do not scale, as they are comparatively far more expensive both in terms of CPU & memory utilization than their compiled language counterparts.

As far as I know, Twitter did not replace RoR with Scala. They replaced some components with Scala, but the front end is still Rails. I think. Also a lot of the work they have been doing in making Ruby run faster.

Twitter's reasoning for moving away from Rails does not apply to anyone just getting started or really any app that isn't as highly used as Twitter.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 11, 2016

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Noam Chomsky posted:

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-twitter-move-away-from-Ruby-on-Rails

Twitter's reasoning for moving away from Rails does not apply to anyone just getting started or really any app that isn't as highly used as Twitter.

Yes, but most places that are hiring wont be picking it up nearly as much these days without a big name behind the tech. And that leads to less positions, less overall support and new developments, etc.
Angular - Google, React - Facebook, Everything soul crushing enterprise places love - Microsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5dpBpaFiMo

It's basically this, but the ending is different.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
ember doesn't have any one big company behind it but still has plenty of small shops and mid-sized mature companies using it, idk (twitch, digitalocean just moved back to ember after trying react for a while, etc)

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gildiss posted:

Yes, but most places that are hiring wont be picking it up nearly as much these days without a big name behind the tech. And that leads to less positions, less overall support and new developments, etc.
Angular - Google, React - Facebook, Everything soul crushing enterprise places love - Microsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5dpBpaFiMo

It's basically this, but the ending is different.

Fwiw airbnb uses rails. Stitch fix as well. I get a couple rails job leads each week. Lots of hospital systems are using it.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Noam Chomsky posted:

Fwiw airbnb uses rails. Stitch fix as well. I get a couple rails job leads each week. Lots of hospital systems are using it.

Hospitals? Are you trying to scare people away?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

abraham linksys posted:

ember doesn't have any one big company behind it but still has plenty of small shops and mid-sized mature companies using it, idk (twitch, digitalocean just moved back to ember after trying react for a while, etc)

i can't find anything about twitch trying react at all. in fact, the only mention of react is a job posting suggesting they do use react:

https://jobs.lever.co/twitch/888a6a8b-3cff-4c90-b490-33852910713e

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

i can't find anything about twitch trying react at all. in fact, the only mention of react is a job posting suggesting they do use react:

https://jobs.lever.co/twitch/888a6a8b-3cff-4c90-b490-33852910713e

twitch uses ember. digitialocean used ember, moved to react, and are moving back to ember

the closest thing ember has ever had to a big company backing it is yahoo, and there's no one in 2016 going hell yeah, yahoo trusts it!! but ember still manages to do very well without big co support

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Thanks for the help. Now just to think of a personal project that could make use of it...

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

ember still manages to do very well without big co support

how can a framework "do well" if practically nobody uses it for anything outside of pet projects?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

zorch posted:

how can a framework "do well" if practically nobody uses it for anything outside of pet projects?

It's entirely possible for ember to be used in thousands of projects of a decent size and still not be used by the big companies...

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

It's entirely possible for ember to be used in thousands of projects of a decent size and still not be used by the big companies...

Nah, man, you should only use things used to build the most popular apps that have ever existed, otherwise you're a scrub, also when they switch stacks, you should definitely switch stacks, or you're a scrub. Context doesn't matter; only hype.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

Hospitals? Are you trying to scare people away?

I currently work in enterprise consulting in the portal space. Nothing scares me anymore.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Noam Chomsky posted:

Nah, man, you should only use things used to build the most popular apps that have ever existed, otherwise you're a scrub, also when they switch stacks, you should definitely switch stacks, or you're a scrub. Context doesn't matter; only hype.

my favorite part of the people who adopt this awful strategy is when they don't even stop to consider that massive enterprises have different engineering needs than new startups or small client projects. For example, Relay/GraphQL is something that made sense for Facebook because they had the resources to write their own backend to implement their own query language. It will not make sense for your tiny three-man engineering team. Heck, even Flux is boilerplate-heavy in nature because the teams at Facebook who make apps with Flux can afford to trade coding speed for the explicit nature of Flux makes.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Google Web Toolkit, got it!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Can someone explain why I'd want to use Gulp/Grunt/Webpack/ thing on github only installable via npm?

I can't tell if it's just beyond my comprehension or just not my use case. I work on a good sized ecommerce (I don't touch the actual checkout logic aside from basic CSS).

EDIT: I should mention that if using these would require a site-wide rewrite, then lol at it ever happening for where I work.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
It's seriously all about what kind of environment you would like to be working in. I much prefer working with small teams and projects that are relatively quick where there's no 'but does it scale?' meetings because it's like a small internal tool for a client that appreciates finally having this tool that solves X problem for them.

So my main focus is JS, JS frameworks (like ember, meteor even, Im not an angular fan really, React and Node), PHP and WordPress/Laravel. hosed with Rails a little.

I want nothing to do with enterprise so I don't really look at stuff like Scala, Java, .NET, etc.

edit: Basically a bunch of nerds will argue on Quora forever about what you should learn but just look at areas/companies your interested in and see what they use!

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I'm currently employed as a contract front-end dev. I'm looking to improve my resume/employability in the future, and right now I'm focusing on improving the projects content on my resume. As I've mentioned in this and other coding threads I'm a bootcamp graduate, so I have 3 projects that I built myself during that particular bootcamp.

One of my projects is a clone of Trello which I'm very proud of and always gets compliments during interviews. But if I were to revisit it there are tons of things I would change, such as 1) switch from flux to redux 2) refactor all ES5 to ES6 3) rewrite the CSS and use a CSS pre-processor, 4) use flexbox, 5) make it mobile responsive, etc.

My question is this: is it worthwhile to put a lot of work into a past project? Now that I'm employed and have experience on my resume (also will have a site to add to my portfolio from this job), I just wonder how much it will help the next time I'm interviewing.

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

Gildiss posted:

TypeScript is pretty neat :smith:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

n4 posted:

My question is this: is it worthwhile to put a lot of work into a past project? Now that I'm employed and have experience on my resume (also will have a site to add to my portfolio from this job), I just wonder how much it will help the next time I'm interviewing.
Not a lot. Having anything at all to show off is important to get past the bozo filter and to give you something you can talk about in interviews, but the difference between a good and great one is mostly irrelevant. Being able to discuss what you'd change about it and why if you were to build it today could be useful.

You'll want to update it occasionally, though, before you get to the point of showing off something built around jQuery in 2016.

theLamer
Dec 2, 2005
I put the lame in blame
Doing front-end development got my foot in the door to doing web development professionally, but after having worked in front-end land for ~2 years I'm glad to be moving away from it to focus more and more on the back-end.

Are there there any veteran front end devs here which have stuck with it for longer than a couple of years? Any reason you keep coming back to it?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

abraham linksys posted:

twitch uses ember. digitialocean used ember, moved to react, and are moving back to ember

the closest thing ember has ever had to a big company backing it is yahoo, and there's no one in 2016 going hell yeah, yahoo trusts it!! but ember still manages to do very well without big co support

I know Target is doing a bunch of new stuff in Ember. Yeah, yeah, not a big tech company whatever

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
I guess this is the thread to ask if anyone has tried Aurelia? At my company we're going to start a long term web project, and after assuming we were gonna go with Angular 2 we learned about Aurelia recently and thought it looked somewhat interesting. The backend will be .NET, if that makes a difference.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

I guess this is the thread to ask if anyone has tried Aurelia? At my company we're going to start a long term web project, and after assuming we were gonna go with Angular 2 we learned about Aurelia recently and thought it looked somewhat interesting. The backend will be .NET, if that makes a difference.

We're using Aurelia for our new enterprise product on the frontend with a .NET MVC backend. I am the lead on the client-side part of the project and it was my call. I evaluated a bunch of frameworks and did decent sized prototypes in Angular1 and 2 but bailed in favour of Aurelia.

Long list of reasons, but the primary one was that you don't end up teaching other team-members a language, they're just using pure ES6 javascript. They don't have to "learn angular", or take a course on Angular 2 nomleclature. They just need to know standards. That's incredibly important for us as the team grows as it means you don't have to uptrain people, they can use what they already know. For our project (we're starting with a small core and building up progressively), this is perfect as we don't have to hunt developers who know React or Ember, but just know JavaScript.

There are a bunch of other reasons like speed, efficiency, clarity and the like, but being pure javascript and html standards was what sold my technical architect from day one. When you're building enterprise poo poo (as we've found building for SharePoint) getting new developers who speak whatever crazy language you chose 10 years ago is a terribly difficult chore most of the time. You end up getting someone who knows something similar, but that's about it. Training is a huge factor and Aurelia takes a lot of those headaches out of the way.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Plavski posted:

we don't have to hunt developers who know React or Ember, but just know JavaScript.

Just using React without the typical surrounding ecosystem isn't much of a learning curve. We just brought on a junior dev that was pretty much up to speed with it in a week.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Yeah I consider the fact that react is almost completely vanilla JavaScript to be one of its major selling points, especially for a small team like mine.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Chenghiz posted:

Yeah I consider the fact that react is almost completely vanilla JavaScript to be one of its major selling points, especially for a small team like mine.

:argh: BUT JSX!!! :argh:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

JSX looks enough like ES6 that if you can't just pick it up, you're probably not going to be able to get up to speed with anything outside your comfort zone in reasonable time but that's :thejoke:

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

JSX looks enough like ES6

:what: Except that it doesn't look like JS at all and isn't supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Maybe he's thinking of the lesser known JSX?

http://jsx.github.io