Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Shifty Pony posted:

And they are actively brigading other subreddits to post about how Islam is to blame for all of this. They need to just banhammer that entire subreddit and everyone that has ever posted there.

It constantly amazes me that people itt care so much about reddit.

"OH MY GOD THESE REDDITORS ARE BEING SO RACIST!!!" - something said with shock in 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Grouchio posted:

I wonder how this will affect the general election...

Not very much in my opinion. The intersection of Muslims, gun control, and gays mean everyone is gonna be too polarized for there to be any kind of significant voting shift. Remove Muslims or gays from the equation and things would have been different.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

It constantly amazes me that people itt care so much about reddit.

"OH MY GOD THESE REDDITORS ARE BEING SO RACIST!!!" - something said with shock in 2016

I mean, it is kind of shocking that they took a break from jacking off to pictures of children long enough to post racist bullshit.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

please don't post about reddit

nobody cares

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

FourLeaf posted:

Not very much in my opinion. The intersection of Muslims, gun control, and gays mean everyone is gonna be too polarized for there to be any kind of significant voting shift. Remove Muslims or gays from the equation and things would have been different.

I doubt that very much.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

QuoProQuid posted:

please don't post about reddit

nobody cares

"HEY GUYS! LOOK AT THIS BUCKET OF poo poo I FOUND IN THAT OUTHOUSE! Crazy huh?"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The only way this might effect the general is if Trump calls for American-born Muslims to be kicked out or put in camps or whatever.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The only way this might effect the general is if Trump calls for American-born Muslims to be kicked out or put in camps or whatever.

Isn't that rather inevitable, if this does turn out to be a religiously motivated thing? It's what his base would eat up.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

Isn't that rather inevitable, if this does turn out to be a religiously motivated thing? It's what his base would eat up.

it doesn't matter if it's religiously motivated or not, the guy sounds like a muslim and that's good enough for people who are looking to justify their hatred of muslims. it's not like trump supporters are drawn to objective and considered analysis of facts

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Issues with reddit are best solved by exiting reddit and doing literally anything else. Here's a small list of things you can do besides complaining about reddit:

- close your eyes
- water some flowers
- find a bird hanging outside of a window and stare at it
- do some laundry

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Really not sure what point you're trying to make here.

If this had been a Muslim killing 50 children at an elementary school instead of gay club patrons, I would expect it to massively help Trump.

If it had been a white Christian killing 50 people at a gay club, I would expect it to move people away from Trump, especially since he just gave a speech about how he will specifically help Christian Americans.

But since it appears to be a Muslim killing gay club patrons, neither of those things will happen.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Business Gorillas posted:

Issues with reddit are best solved by exiting reddit and doing literally anything else. Here's a small list of things you can do besides complaining about reddit:

- close your eyes
- water some flowers
- find a bird hanging outside of a window and stare at it
- do some laundry

what about complaining about complaining about reddit

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

If this was the primary, yes. But it's the general now, and whether or not Trump calls for the deportation/internment of legal U.S. citizens is dependent on more than the whims of Trump.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If this was the primary, yes. But it's the general now, and whether or not Trump calls for the deportation/internment of legal U.S. citizens is dependent on more than the whims of Trump.

Not if the rumblings his party handlers are sending out are any indication.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
CNN guy is claiming that the shooter pledged himself to ISIL.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Being reported that the shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FourLeaf posted:

But since it appears to be a Muslim killing gay club patrons, neither of those things will happen.

It will help Trump because the Muslim thing is something he's campaigned on (while the anti-gay thing is not). They'll just conveniently ignore the fact that they don't like gays or possibly throw around the usual "we don't hate gays, only gay sex!" canard to make it seem like they care.

Except for the Westboro Baptist Church of course.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shillary posted:

That's not to say there aren't secular transphobes but they are few and far between.

this is not in any sense true at all

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Hollismason posted:

Schiff sits on House Intelligence. He's legitimate.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Which is bound to happen since I'm pretty sure it was hinted at during the primary at some point. Unless this continues to regularly happen(muslim terrorist, not general mass shooting) it won't help him, especially if the Democrats get on top of a good response(they won't)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

So much for that conversation about gun control.

So switching topics:

Is Obama a bad president for not having held a press conference yet to denounce this "radical Muslim terror"?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

He hasn't yet?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

meristem posted:

He hasn't yet?

Give him time. His campaign website doesn't show him having an event until tomorrow.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

what about complaining about complaining about reddit

This also works as long as you're not actually on reddit

Complaining about complaining about complaining about reddit is also a valid thing to do to avoid being on reddit

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

meristem posted:

He hasn't yet?

Nope, just marking them with special badges and tracking them in a database. If history is anything to go by the camps don't come until phase two.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Shillary posted:

That's not to say there aren't secular transphobes but they are few and far between.

ummmmmmmm

aren't YOU a secular transphobe? Or are we just supposed to forget that you're Hasters?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Just read the news as my girlfriend came into the room and I told her what happened. I found her a few minutes later bawling her eyes out on the stairs. We just moved into a new home and have a gay couple living a few doors down and she said that knowing that it could have been them at a different time or place really fucks her up.

"You can't be gay. You can't be Muslim. You can't be black. You can't be poor. You can't be a woman. What the gently caress do you have to be for it all to be alright in this country?" She said.

:(

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

On Terra Firma posted:

"You can't be gay. You can't be Muslim. You can't be black. You can't be poor. You can't be a woman. What the gently caress do you have to be for it all to be alright in this country?" She said.

A straight white male, duh.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

On Terra Firma posted:

Just read the news as my girlfriend came into the room and I told her what happened. I found her a few minutes later bawling her eyes out on the stairs. We just moved into a new home and have a gay couple living a few doors down and she said that knowing that it could have been them at a different time or place really fucks her up.

white, live in the midwest

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh YOU SON OF A BITCH DONT YOU SAY HYPHENATED AMERICAN.

loving shithead on CNN.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

On Terra Firma posted:

It's hard/impossible to change many of those things, so maybe the gun thing should be changed.

No, no, no. Silly me, it's easier to just be less of a black, gay, poor muslim woman.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
It's going to be incredibly bizarre watching the right try to pin this on Islamic Terrorism when it's just a run of the mill American mass shooting which have been perpetrated by hundreds of white guys for the last few dozen years now.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It will help Trump because the Muslim thing is something he's campaigned on (while the anti-gay thing is not). They'll just conveniently ignore the fact that they don't like gays or possibly throw around the usual "we don't hate gays, only gay sex!" canard to make it seem like they care.

Except for the Westboro Baptist Church of course.

I don't see it helping Trump as it much as it otherwise would. Liberals/progressives can rightfully point out the disturbing way conservatives who normally preach about the insidious evils of homosexuality suddenly pretend to be appalled when a shooter takes their homophobic implications to their logical conclusion-- because the shooter is Muslim.

E: it reminds me of the GOP presidential candidates talking about the fake Planned Parenthood video and then acting horrified when the guy shot up the PP in Colorado.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 12, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Reddit has some ungodly number of pageviews. It being a haven for bigoted racist /pol/ members and giving them a giant platform to shout their hate speech from and recruit more more members to their "cause" is a Bad Thing. At the very least it normalizes a certain thread of racism/bigotry in a way that is deeply concerning.

Or you know you can just ostrich your head into the sand and then in a few months pretend to be shocked and confused about how the national discourse got so much worse and why people now feel it is OK to straight up say that all Muslims should be killed then deported.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Hollismason posted:

Oh YOU SON OF A BITCH DONT YOU SAY HYPHENATED AMERICAN.

loving shithead on CNN.

Say what now?

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I love my dead gay killing son :zpatriot:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So much for that conversation about gun control.

So switching topics:

Is Obama a bad president for not having held a press conference yet to denounce this "radical Muslim terror"?

The right hasn't completely sussed out the outrage calculus of a brown person killing a bunch of gays, so we're up in the air right now.

But, if Obama calls it terror, the conversation will be about how quick he is to label an attack on gays as terrorism, and where was this quick decision making when it could have saved ambassador stevens. If he doesn't, then it's the old song and dance about 'why won't he call it terrorism'.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/WESH/status/742022793827618816

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I love how "pledged allegiance to ISIL" means something, when the reality is that it's as meaningful as pledging yourself to Hitler. It's a good indicator that someone has snapped, yeah, but trying to pretend like this is some worldwide plot because of it is just assinine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FourLeaf posted:

I don't see it helping Trump as it much as it otherwise would. Liberals/progressives can rightfully point out the disturbing way conservatives who normally preach about the insidious evils of homosexuality suddenly pretend to be appalled when a shooter takes their homophobic implications to their logical conclusion-- because the shooter is Muslim.

You assume two things incorrectly:

• The media will report the liberal/progressive line with equal weight to the far more exciting/"entertaining" scaremongering about Muslims.
  • Liberal/progressives will be somehow competent at conveying that hypocrisy in the first place.

• Locked thread