Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There's a hangouts extension for Chrome. It puts an icon in the sys tray too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Keyser S0ze posted:

I had my T Mobile MotoXP and Fi 6p side by side in and around San Jose/SF/Oakland/Sacramento and up to Tahoe and it was actually more the urban areas that sucked more on Fi believe it or not. Despite the many choices it was always choosing Sprint 2g or similar poo poo whenever I needed to actually use it as a "cellular phone" and not an "internet device."

Well unless Sprint has worked some serious magic since I moved from San Francisco they were utter dogshit out west.

Have you tried using Fi Switch / Fi Spy to either see what service your 6p is on or forcing it to the same carrier?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I had a combo of Signal Check Pro/LTE Discovery/Open Signal to see what I was connected to as well as used FiSwitch to change them. Sprint had the shittiest voice for sure.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

It looks like US Cellular is joining Sprint & T-Mobile as providers for Project Fi:

quote:

U.S. Cellular is the largest regional wireless provider in the United States, servicing 23 states, and today Google announced its network is now part of the Project Fi super-MVNO. Google says that U.S. Cellular coverage will be rolling out to "all users" in the coming weeks. USC's network utilizes LTE bands 5 and 12, the latter a band common to T-Mobile devices. Band 5 and 12 are, of course, both supported by the Nexus 6, 5X, and 6P.

This announcement brings Project Fi up to three carrier partners: T-Mobile, Sprint, and now U.S. Cellular. If you're curious if you live in a U.S. Cellular covered area, this map gives you a good sense of their first party and roaming LTE coverage.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Oh, sweet! They're actually pretty good in the boonies around Central IL, which is what I was complaining about a week ago.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Uthor posted:

Oh, sweet! They're actually pretty good in the boonies around Central IL, which is what I was complaining about a week ago.
That's funny. The first thing I thought when I saw that coverage map was "I bet this'll thrill that guy who was complaining about bad coverage in the boonies in Illinois!"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

photomikey posted:

That's funny. The first thing I thought when I saw that coverage map was "I bet this'll thrill that guy who was complaining about bad coverage in the boonies in Illinois!"

That's me! :banjo:

Speaking of, I was at my friend's parents' farm just now. TMobile has been useless there, but I was getting a solid 3G signal today (I'm assuming off of Sprint). I wish I had thought to make a phone call to see how the quality was.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

the auschwitz diet posted:

Does anyone else experience apps crashing when the cellular network switches? Games like Clash of Clans/Royale and many others that normally would give a connection warning and stay open are simply crashing even if cell data is turned off and I'm on stable wifi. Is this a known issue? I found one thread on google forums but it had no acknowledgment of the issue.

Following up on this:

After talking to a good chunk of the CS team, with bug reports and descriptions sent up to the engineers, this came down to it being an issue they're tracking, but don't have a fix for yet. At least it's known, I guess.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

When Project Fi automatically hooks up to an open WiFi signal and routes all your communication through Google's VPN: do you have free data at that point, or is it only for making calls?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Uthor posted:

When Project Fi automatically hooks up to an open WiFi signal and routes all your communication through Google's VPN: do you have free data at that point, or is it only for making calls?

It's just like being on wifi, just secured through Google VPN.

I have noticed that the LTE indicator doesn't turn off like when I'm at home though which is a bit odd.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to force wifi calling for incoming calls? Sound quality is leagues better when I make outgoing wifi calls but incoming always defaults to the shittier-sounding mobile network.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Airplane mode, then turn wifi on

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

IAmKale posted:

Is there a way to force wifi calling for incoming calls? Sound quality is leagues better when I make outgoing wifi calls but incoming always defaults to the shittier-sounding mobile network.

I have had some incoming calls through wi-fi! This has happened a couple of times when I've been in my basement and a call has come in. I just installed signal spy right now so I don't know which carrier towers it usually relies on when I'm at home, but when I was on T-Mo before I always had trouble keeping a voice connection if I was in the basement. The incoming wi-fi calls even happen despite the indicator showing that I have 2+ carrier bars. It's too bad we can't set a preference for certain connections in certain locations, or that the phone "learns" this over time.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Drove from Chicago to rural Ohio this weekend. Only ever hit 3G in part of the most rural section of I80. Often when my wife's ATT iPhone lost data I'd have LTE. Project Fi owns.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I only just heard of Project Fi today, and reading about it some, it looks pretty awesome. To make a clear case to myself, I'm trying to figure out the downsides. Here are the only 3 I could come up with, and a few accompanying questions. I'd appreciate any comments or answers :cheers:

Downside 1. Poorer coverage than AT&T that I have now.
--Q1. But all the testimonials I read, including a few itt, are all "omg the coverage is so excellent, better than before" :confused: Is this because it's better than the map suggests, or is this because of their WiFi thing, or both?
--Q2. Is the wifi-to-cellular transition as seamless as they suggest? As it is now, my Moto X always has a few moments of shittiness when I walk to the edge of a wifi network before it switches to cellular. Unless the Nexus + Fi does it much better, I can't imagine the WiFi+cellular hybrid approach being as good as it sounds.

Hypothetical downside 2. Locks me into a getting Nexus phone - but that's okay because that's the kind of phone I would be getting anyway

Hypothetical downside 3. More Google in my life - doesn't bother me but it understandably does bother some people. Google already has all my info from me using Android and various Google services anyway :shrug:

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Uthor posted:

Like I said, I've been using it in places I don't frequently go (and normally wouldn't have had a signal, anyway). I need to test it out in a controlled situation.

Driving on I-39 between Rockford and Bloomington. Not a trip I often take, and when I have (and wasn't driving), I'd have issues getting even 3G, not to mention LTE, on TMobile. Signal seemed to be better on Fi, but I was driving this time and didn't exactly monitor my phone, but I had issues when calling, but I can't honestly say I tried calling in the same spot when I had TMobile.

I'm mainly in Peoria, IL. I've had dead spots with both TMobile and Sprint in the past. I'm hoping Fi would fill in the blanks when combining the two.

I find the service around Peoria better with Fi than when I had Att, had a lot of dead spots with Att, including my work parking lot heh.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My wife and I are up for contract renewal through Verizon at the end of July and my wife wants to switch carriers. I've been looking at Project Fi. I live just outside of Washington, DC. Neither my wife nor I do any traveling, especially out of country, for our jobs.

Are there any major downsides to Fi to consider? So far it just sounds excellent.

We both use about 3.5 gigs of data per month, split fairly evenly between us. I'll need to buy a new phone when we switch carriers, and my wife likely will too.

I'm a heavier text-messenger user than my wife. I'll need to start using Hangouts, is that correct? I've only used it a handful of times but nothing would change with the way my friends text me, right?

But really - what's bad about this service?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

me your dad posted:

I'm a heavier text-messenger user than my wife. I'll need to start using Hangouts, is that correct? I've only used it a handful of times but nothing would change with the way my friends text me, right?

No, you can use whatever SMS app you want. It takes a few steps to disassociate Hangouts from it (you can't just tell the phone to use a different app, you first need to disconnect SMS from your Google account), but once that's done, any other app should work like normal. I used Hangouts for about five minutes before switching to Google Messenger.

If you do use Hangouts, yeah, SMS works like normal. The only thing you need to be aware of is if your contact is also on Hangouts, you need to select if you're sending an SMS or Hangouts message, but it should remember your choice after the first time.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 21, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

me your dad posted:

But really - what's bad about this service?

The heaviest of data users need not apply, and a Nexus phone is required. As far as I can tell, those are literally the only downsides to Fi.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

There's no family rate on Fi so you would each need to pay $20+data/month. It may work out cheaper for you, it may not. If you both use 2 gigs a month, you'd be paying $80 in total, for example.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Secondary "family" sims also only get 2G speeds or something but that's probably okay for parents or light users.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

Secondary "family" sims also only get 2G speeds or something but that's probably okay for parents or light users.

Can you please elaborate on this? My wife and I would be the only people on the plan. What is a secondary "family" sim?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Humerus posted:

There's no family rate on Fi so you would each need to pay $20+data/month. It may work out cheaper for you, it may not. If you both use 2 gigs a month, you'd be paying $80 in total, for example.

Plus the monthly installment for a new phone, assuming we don't pay up front.

This seems to be a good choice for us.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

alnilam posted:

I only just heard of Project Fi today, and reading about it some, it looks pretty awesome. To make a clear case to myself, I'm trying to figure out the downsides. Here are the only 3 I could come up with, and a few accompanying questions. I'd appreciate any comments or answers :cheers:

Downside 1. Poorer coverage than AT&T that I have now.
--Q1. But all the testimonials I read, including a few itt, are all "omg the coverage is so excellent, better than before" :confused: Is this because it's better than the map suggests, or is this because of their WiFi thing, or both?
--Q2. Is the wifi-to-cellular transition as seamless as they suggest? As it is now, my Moto X always has a few moments of shittiness when I walk to the edge of a wifi network before it switches to cellular. Unless the Nexus + Fi does it much better, I can't imagine the WiFi+cellular hybrid approach being as good as it sounds.

Hypothetical downside 2. Locks me into a getting Nexus phone - but that's okay because that's the kind of phone I would be getting anyway

Hypothetical downside 3. More Google in my life - doesn't bother me but it understandably does bother some people. Google already has all my info from me using Android and various Google services anyway :shrug:

1a) It's definitely not perfect, but Fi uses a mashup of three networks for coverage. There are areas where AT&T still dominates, but I've found that I'm less effected by network outages, and there's almost nowhere that I don't get any sort of coverage at all. The wifi thing helps a bunch for data stuff, mostly.
1b) I haven't really ever been aware of the transition on my 5X, for whatever that's worth.

2) I came from a GS5 that was on it's way out after a botched repair job, and was getting tired of overall repair costs in general. The download cache bug that never got addressed was irritating, the UI didn't really work for me, updates took forever to roll out, and bloat bothers me on a fundamental level. My camera now isn't as nice and the screen isn't as vibrant, but this phone does everything I want it to, and doesn't have much in the way of features I don't care to use. Cost savings versus any other carrier over six months covers the price of the phone, and then some. YMMV, but it works for me.

3) Yeah, I can see where it would bug some people. Personally, I figure that's the price I pay for the level of convenience I get. Beats wishing for a personal secretary, anyway.

All that, combined with cost, and proof that they're still trying to grow this thing, ultimately brought me around.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Suntan Boy posted:

1b) I haven't really ever been aware of the transition on my 5X, for whatever that's worth.

I get a weird transition when using data at work. If I walk just far enough away from my building, the phone picks up an open wifi network next door. When I walk back (or even go inside), it tries to keep using wifi for a minute or two when there is no more signal.

I haven't noticed any issues with this transition while talking on the phone (the most common reason I'm walking around outside).

Is there a way to exclude a specific wifi network from being automatically used?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

alnilam posted:

This isn't really a hypothetical. The Fi SIM only works in the N5X and N6P. It is less of an issue while you still have warranty/damage protection, but if your phone breaks suddenly or you can't order a replacement, you can't just take the SIM out and stick it in an old phone for a few days while you sort everything out. Using Hangouts on another device will be your only backup plan :v:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This isn't really a hypothetical. The Fi SIM only works in the N5X and N6P. It is less of an issue while you still have warranty/damage protection, but if your phone breaks suddenly or you can't order a replacement, you can't just take the SIM out and stick it in an old phone for a few days while you sort everything out. Using Hangouts on another device will be your only backup plan :v:

It also works on the N6.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I just meant "hypothetical" in that it's only a downside if you didn't want a Nexus, but i do anyway. Thanks!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Managed to eck out a few texts from the top of Mount Rogers in SW Virginia where I had no service at all. Rural areas are still poorly covered in the US, even with 3 networks to draw from

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

me your dad posted:

Can you please elaborate on this? My wife and I would be the only people on the plan. What is a secondary "family" sim?

it's a "data only" sim you can get for a tablet, etc........I ordered one since I support my pops ipad.......but I ended up not staying with Fi and sticking with TMob.

--------------------
Use Project Fi with tablets and other compatible devices

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6330195?hl=en

Tethering: Tethering from a device with a data-only SIM isn’t supported.
-------------------

Fi should work in at least the following:

-------------------
Here's a list of devices that we’ve verified will work with Project Fi:

Nexus 7 - K009 (2013 US LTE)
Nexus 9 - 0P82300 (2014 US LTE)
iPad Air 2 - Model A1567 (2014)
iPad Mini 4 - Model A1550 (2015)
iPad Pro - Model A1652 (2015)
Galaxy Tab S - Model SM-T807V (2015)
Nexus 5X
Nexus 6
Nexus 6P
Other devices

Data-only SIMs may work with devices that aren’t on our list. Devices need to be unlocked and work with T-Mobile (GSM radio). You can order a data-only SIM and test it out. However, we may not be able to help activate or troubleshoot these other devices.
-------------------

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 22, 2016

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Uthor posted:

I get a weird transition when using data at work. If I walk just far enough away from my building, the phone picks up an open wifi network next door. When I walk back (or even go inside), it tries to keep using wifi for a minute or two when there is no more signal.

I haven't noticed any issues with this transition while talking on the phone (the most common reason I'm walking around outside).

Is there a way to exclude a specific wifi network from being automatically used?

It seems like that should be a function, but I can't find anything like a blacklist. You could try telling the phone to "forget" the network once you're connected to it, but I wasn't able to make it stick on the network I tested it on. I'd give it a shot on your end, at least. The rep I talked to suggested turning off the wifi assistant as a workaround, though that's not ideal.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6164833?hl=en

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Okay so I'm leaning towards Fi. I have a question about porting numbers if anyone happens to know the answer.

I'm semi excited about the prospect of choosing my own number (choosing a google voice number, then getting Fi and porting my google voice number). I haven't decided for sure yet though, I might want to keep my old number to avoid having to tell everyone about my new number.

Anyway my actual question is this: suppose I decide someday that I don't like Fi, but I've already told everyone my new number. Can I port my new number to another carrier? Or is that number locked to Fi forever, since it was a google voice number?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Trip report, I switched from an sgs5 on us cellular to a 6p on fi. So far so good. Saving $50+ on the contract so with the cars saved, I pay for the new phone in a year. Reception is good although wifi calling takes longer to start ringing that on lte. I'm hitting sprint and mobile towers now and get much better signal. Location is madison wi.
So far a great buy.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Gents I done gone zipped up and down the northeast on Fi. Philly, Boston, NY - perfect epic service. Many thick LTE signals and powerful calls. Back in LA and it's owning just as hard. Praise be to blessed Sundar.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

alnilam posted:

Okay so I'm leaning towards Fi. I have a question about porting numbers if anyone happens to know the answer.

I'm semi excited about the prospect of choosing my own number (choosing a google voice number, then getting Fi and porting my google voice number). I haven't decided for sure yet though, I might want to keep my old number to avoid having to tell everyone about my new number.

Anyway my actual question is this: suppose I decide someday that I don't like Fi, but I've already told everyone my new number. Can I port my new number to another carrier? Or is that number locked to Fi forever, since it was a google voice number?

You can port out of both Google Voice and Project Fi. What I would do in your situation would be port your old number to a separate Google Voice account and forward to Fi. At least I think Google will let you forward from one Voice account to a separate Fi account.

Actually, the way I do it is I have my main number ported to Project Fi, and the rest of my collection of DID's live on voip.ms and forward to Fi. In terms of choosing your own number, voip providers are other place to look for novelty numbers besides what Google Voice has available as well.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I ported my old phone number over from a verizon shared family plan and it gave my caller ID the plan owner's name. It's been a week and they tried to change me to "wireless caller" twice now. I'm waiting the second set of 72 hours to see if it takes.

They very specifically said they can ONLY change my caller ID to "wireless caller" and some post on reddit said they could only get "wireless caller [state initials]" but I couldn't even get that much.

If people could choose their own caller IDs would everyone make themselves Barack Obama and tell people they're getting audited or else for scams and flams? I don't really get it. I don't get if I should keep asking, like maybe it'll change, or after some time it will be feasible again.

My second issue is, do I have to do anything special to make the phone prefer wifi over cell towers? If I make phone calls from in front of my wifi station in a basement it takes like 30 seconds to time out the first time, and the second call goes through. I have signal spy and it just tells me that T-mobile is the strongest signal in my area, not whether the call is going out on wifi or not. I"m not even sure what I'm complaining about, since I don't know which it's trying for.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Krinkle posted:

I ported my old phone number over from a verizon shared family plan and it gave my caller ID the plan owner's name. It's been a week and they tried to change me to "wireless caller" twice now. I'm waiting the second set of 72 hours to see if it takes.

They very specifically said they can ONLY change my caller ID to "wireless caller" and some post on reddit said they could only get "wireless caller [state initials]" but I couldn't even get that much.

If people could choose their own caller IDs would everyone make themselves Barack Obama and tell people they're getting audited or else for scams and flams? I don't really get it. I don't get if I should keep asking, like maybe it'll change, or after some time it will be feasible again.

My second issue is, do I have to do anything special to make the phone prefer wifi over cell towers? If I make phone calls from in front of my wifi station in a basement it takes like 30 seconds to time out the first time, and the second call goes through. I have signal spy and it just tells me that T-mobile is the strongest signal in my area, not whether the call is going out on wifi or not. I"m not even sure what I'm complaining about, since I don't know which it's trying for.

Airplane mode and turning on Wi-Fi?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Anyone with experience using Google fi in Georgia/Atlanta area?

And what should I expect service wide if I went to someplace like Canada? I saw the data plan overseas tends to be the same price as local so I'm interested in that.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 30, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I live in the Atlanta area, and I've had a problem maybe twice ever. Any issues are usually taken care of via Signal Spy, which you can use to change towers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
What's the scuttlebutt on the release of a new 5x or 6p in the next few months? My wife wants a new phone, but I feel like the current gen is coming EOL soon, and I hate buying something new only to have it superseded a month later.