Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Antti posted:

Tbf this focus on air travel and shoe bombers is crazy when it's a lot easier, especially in the US, to just walk to a crowded place with a gun and open up. I mean people have already done it multiple times and nothing has been done about it. You can walk on the street with an assault rifle and if the police accost you it's a violation of your God-given rights. If you have people willing to die it's by far the most efficient and powerful way to make people panic. Look at Paris.

Agreed but this has nothing to do with what that guy said or why I quoted him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Antti posted:

Tbf this focus on air travel and shoe bombers is crazy when it's a lot easier, especially in the US, to just walk to a crowded place with a gun and open up. I mean people have already done it multiple times and nothing has been done about it. You can walk on the street with an assault rifle and if the police accost you it's a violation of your God-given rights. If you have people willing to die it's by far the most efficient and powerful way to make people panic. Look at Paris.

A 747 can have over 600 passengers, all of whom die in a successful attack, which is still over ten times the death toll so far in the highest fatality mass shooting in US history. Plus there was that whole 9/11 thing, you've probably never heard of it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

e_angst posted:

Yea, I remember in the 90s when they started to change direction. In the late 80s we were suburban kids who went hunting once or twice a year and hit the shooting range once a month or os. We had the big NRA wilderness guide. Had lots of great info like how to read tracks, and how to properly stalk when moving towards an animal you're hunting. Hell, at least 90% of it was non-gun stuff (just as 90% of all hunting is not directly gun related). Then around the time of the LA riots my dad (who was the NRA member of the house) started getting mailers from them with all this racist dog whistling about how people in LA weren't able to protect their homes because of California's 5-day waiting period. It was a pretty stark change and stuff only got worse from there. Of course, since my dad is terribly racist he ate it up and became a lifetime member. But now neither my brother or I could ever associate ourselves with the NRA.

The NRA was always racist as poo poo, and they were only lowkey about it in the 1980s because everybody thought racial conflict in the US had finally died down. Back in the 60s and 70s they spent a pretty big chunk of their time lobbying in favor of gun control to keep firearms out of the hands of the scary blacks.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Arkane posted:

Looks to be nearly confirmed now.

Previous 3: Chattanooga, Garland (gunmen shot by police), and San Bernardino

isis is really lucky that they don't really have to go to any great lengths in order to carry out terrorist attacks in america. they troll the internet for susceptible marks, publish a bunch of radical poo poo and lead them to it, then wait for our permissive attitude towards private gun ownership to do its magic

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CommieGIR posted:

Sourced from the Daily Beast, so taken with a grain of salt, but if true :negative:

Apparently he was investigated by the FBI. Twice.

If true, you can kiss any gun control discussions that would have resulted from this goodbye (because "gun control wouldn't have stopped this guy, therefore it wouldn't stop any guy, therefore let's talk about other, more odious, ways to stop it.")

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Antti posted:

If you have people willing to die it's by far the most efficient and powerful way to make people panic. Look at Paris.

Bombings and arson on mass transit are more efficient. As usual, the only reason that this assault with a firearm was effective was because of the dwell time. Cho and Brevik were able to get similar or more efficient results because they isolated their victims (by chaining doors or selecting an island.)

The police are complicit in these deaths because they sat on their rear end for hours - most likely because it was a gay club and our pigs in blue love to see minorities die. Or at least don't care so much.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

LeJackal posted:

Bombings and arson on transport vehicles are more efficient. As usual, the only reason that this assault with a firearm was effective was because of the dwell time. Cho and Brevik were able to get similar or more efficient results because they isolated their victims (by chaining doors or selecting an island.)

The police are complicit in these deaths because they sat on their rear end for hours - most likely because it was a gay club and our pigs in blue love to see minorities die. Or at least don't care so much.

Police were out there on site within an hour.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If true, you can kiss any gun control discussions that would have resulted from this goodbye.

Obama specifically mentioned that there was a least one person planning a mass shooting in this country that he couldn't stop because Republicans care about guns so much. I wonder if this was him, of if this other person is still out there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Its LeJackal dude. Just ignore him.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is it too hard to accept that a bro'd out rent a cop disgusted by mainstream acceptance of LGBT public displays of affection decided to gun down a bunch of them regardless of his religion??

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/742029946810310656

dude sounds like a real class act

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sir Tonk posted:

dude sounds like a real class act

Hot take: this guy was a huge rear end in a top hat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Peven Stan posted:

Is it too hard to accept that a bro'd out rent a cop disgusted by mainstream acceptance of LGBT public displays of affection decided to gun down a bunch of them regardless of his religion??

But then we can't blame this on "the other" duh!

Why do you refuse to call it an act of radical Islamic terrorism? Huh!

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

reminds me of Tamerlan Tsarnaev

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Peven Stan posted:

If you want to write a fictional account of it, that might be believable enough, but that doesn't appear to be all that's going on here. Pretending it's just an isolated incident that has nothing to do with anything is about as brain dead as Republicans disingenuously pretending every mass shooting by a white guy is an isolated mental health issue.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

reminds me of Tamerlan Tsarnaev

So I wonder who the FBI will murder and cover up this time?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

Hot take: this guy was a huge rear end in a top hat.

i for one am absolutely beside myself with surprise

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Peven Stan posted:

Well let's see, could be that the washed up not-cop who apparently likes to hit women and poo poo like that already and I guess had a real bad reaction to seeing men kiss probably killed a bunch of gay people during Pride in a major gay hotspot because he's just a piece of poo poo garbage person.

Or maybe ISIS finally has figured out that if you really want to cripple America you strike its gay clubs.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Peven Stan posted:

Not for me. The issue will be the narrative. "This terrible person committed an atrocity because he's Muslim!" If it had been a fundie Christian screaming about the Bible while he did it the same people would be shrugging going "nope, don't know why he would have done that."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Trabisnikof posted:

But then we can't blame this on "the other" duh!

Why do you refuse to call it an act of radical Islamic terrorism? Huh!

I also find Peven Stan's lack of candor on the topic of radical Islamic terrorism suspect. Does Peven Stan have something to hide?

More on this, after a short break.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Within an hour is horrible response time to a shooting in the first place.

In the second place, they then waited three hours before entering. Despite that face that since 1999 (or 2000) every law enforcement agency has known and been aware that rapid response to a terrorist or active shooter is paramount.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

Not for me. The issue will be the narrative. "This terrible person committed an atrocity because he's Muslim!" If it had been a fundie Christian screaming about the Bible while he did it the same people would be shrugging going "nope, don't know why he would have done that."

That cuts both ways. People on the left were giddy as gently caress when they thought the San Bernardino shooters were white Christians so they could tie it into a narrative after the Planned Parenthood attack. Then suddenly they were Muslims and it was disgusting to mention ethnicity or religion.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
It's going to be (has) turned into a platform for Muslim bashing when the guy was just an rear end in a top hat.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

So I wonder who the FBI will murder and cover up this time?

uh, what?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sinteres posted:

That cuts both ways. People on the left were giddy as gently caress when they thought the San Bernardino shooters were white Christians so they could tie it into a narrative after the Planned Parenthood attack. Then suddenly they were Muslims and it was disgusting to mention ethnicity or religion.

well for one anyone 'giddy' about a mass shooting is a piece of poo poo, cool whatever we agree, all that one person sure does suck.

For another the issue is more that there's a genuine very bad agenda behind 'see every Muslim wants to kill us' while 'retard on the internet said a thing about white people' isn't really connected to any real troubling political movements in the country. Beyond that, there's also a pretty gross agenda involved in waving off what could very well have been 'just' a horrific hate crime against a minority group so that people can talk about how much another minority group can't be trusted and must be stopped.

There's different contexts involved here.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Tell me more about this "giddiness" from "people on the left"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

LeJackal posted:

In the second place, they then waited three hours before entering. Despite that face that since 1999 (or 2000) every law enforcement agency has known and been aware that rapid response to a terrorist or active shooter is paramount.

I won't argue that an hour is a good response time considering the cops got to Sandy Hook in like five minutes, but didn't the shooter take hostages? If that's the case, do you really think they should've just immediately breach and cleared, innocent lives be damned?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FourLeaf posted:

uh, what?

InfoWars has the gritty details on yet another conspiracy theory.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a stream link for Obama's 1:30pm statement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wCQDVdPq3I

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/742014546748002304

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LeJackal posted:

This from the person who says we should never armchair quarterback cops when they kill small children.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Well see, now that is a believable narrative. Ideally, he would have been barred from gun possession after the domestic violence episodes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/742041568069193728

welp

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

The NRA was always racist as poo poo, and they were only lowkey about it in the 1980s because everybody thought racial conflict in the US had finally died down. Back in the 60s and 70s they spent a pretty big chunk of their time lobbying in favor of gun control to keep firearms out of the hands of the scary blacks.

Actually no. The NBA was once very progressive, and was founded by Union officers to give guns and gun training to people who needed to protect themselves read: blacks in the south. That's why Grant was one of the first Presidents. They were countering Forrest.

E: it's racist as poo poo these days don't get me wrong

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/742042406825168896

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Is she suggesting we build walls around Muslim Communities and hit them with white phosphorus and use children as human shields?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I went to check whether Alex had called this a FALSE FLAG(!!!) yet. Sadly, he has not, and his underling is blaming Islam, but they're abroad this week covering the Bilderburg conference, so they might be too busy right now to figure out how Obama did this.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Yawgmoft posted:

Actually no. The NBA was once very progressive, and was founded by Union officers to give guns and gun training to people who needed to protect themselves read: blacks in the south. That's why Grant was one of the first Presidents. They were countering Forrest.

E: it's racist as poo poo these days don't get me wrong
:raise:

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Having the shooters pledge allegiance to ISIL is the One Weird Trick to get conservatives to suddenly care a whole lot about recurring mass shootings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

uh, what?

Nah I meant the other dude the FBI killed

Before the Boston bombing the FBI was interviewing a man, then the FBI turned off the tape recorder and then the interviewee decided to hulk out and attack the FBI agents with a broom so they had to kill him of course. Real shame the recorder was turned off moments before he went crazy out of nowhere. Oh ya, he also confessed to helping terrorism right before the FBI shot him but after the recording stopped.

This was determined to be a good shoot of course.

http://www.wbur.org/news/2014/01/14/todashev-fatal-fbi-shooting

• Locked thread