Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DmitriX posted:

You won't get to touch it after, as all mods will go kaput at it's launch.
Besides, which feature of v13 would make restricted building space easier to handle?

EDIT:
That said, once i get a few more hours to put into it, this will be a most interesting building exercise.
I might even have to actually train around refined liquids, which is not a thing you do in normal factorio. That almost sounds exciting.

I played a game with unstable ground and it makes things very different when you have limited space AND no input on the shape of those spaces. At least in toxic forest you can clear some trees to make more space. UG forces you to plan how to join up the various patches to make a working factory. You can't just play the same old way with 30 labs, 120 furnaces and a wide bus. Blueprints are going to be fairly useless unless they're small things.
I found it refreshing, challenging, fun and frustrating. I'll probably pop in today or tomorrow and see how you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Ratzap posted:

I played a game with unstable ground and it makes things very different when you have limited space AND no input on the shape of those spaces. At least in toxic forest you can clear some trees to make more space. UG forces you to plan how to join up the various patches to make a working factory. You can't just play the same old way with 30 labs, 120 furnaces and a wide bus. Blueprints are going to be fairly useless unless they're small things.
I found it refreshing, challenging, fun and frustrating. I'll probably pop in today or tomorrow and see how you're doing.
You can blueprint mines, long-pipes and belt segments. Railways too. THey won't be useful for actual factory stuff, true.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Kovarex posted a clarification about achievements in 0.13

quote:

You can get achievements with mods, but they are in different category and they are not reported to steam.

Not a bad decision really since it levels the playing field (if you care about cheevos at all mind you).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone here interested in getting a co-op factory up and running at new launch? Skype / Teamspeak would be chill, we can just build and chat and have good times killing the vermin biters.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Newbie starting in. I have a few questions about biters. First - I know that biters prioritize guns over most other stuff - is this only when the guns actually attack them or is it when they detect them? It seems like the optimum distribution for pillboxes on a wall is however far apart they'd need to be for the biters to always go for the pillbox instead of a wall segment. Will the biters prioritize the walls closest to the guns or will they just attack wherever they are in an effort to get there? Second - do more Biter bases only spawn from biter expeditions going from an existing base or is it possible for them to spawn out of the blue? I'm wondering if a secured, walled-in area with no biter bases can be assumed "safe unless breached".

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Biters will go for guns and prioritize the walls in front of the turrets however if they see a short path around a wall to the guns they'll take that. They seem to home in on turrets but I'm not sure the range at which it'll catch them.

New biter bases spawn from a small group of biters leaving their current base and settling down in an area that isn't near any player made structures. If you secure an area with walls, unless it is breached the biters won't settle in it.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
There's also a priority for biters of anything within the military tab will be targeted over anything outside of that. This includes radar. Biter bases touched by pollution will send out a small group to a secondary location to sort of "form up", then from there attack whatever formed the initial pollution. If there's a military building (turret, etc) within sight of that line, it'll attack that instead.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Fans posted:

Biters will go for guns and prioritize the walls in front of the turrets however if they see a short path around a wall to the guns they'll take that. They seem to home in on turrets but I'm not sure the range at which it'll catch them.

New biter bases spawn from a small group of biters leaving their current base and settling down in an area that isn't near any player made structures. If you secure an area with walls, unless it is breached the biters won't settle in it.

Do note that if you secure a large are, you can place wooden poles at the edge of it. A single pole prevents biters from forming new nests in about 1 full sight radius around it. They also won't attack it normally,so that allows you to,say, clear everything in your pollution cloud, secure the edges with poles, and go AFK unafraid of anything.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
One of the most important, not immediately apparent, behaviors is that once biters aggro to a military target (or player), they will be in biting mode from then on. What that means is they will destroy the military threats in range first, and then begin eating your factory equipment, even if it isn't at their original pollution target. So in practical terms, if a border outpost falls, they are going to chow down on all the nearest stuff, including really annoying stuff like power poles, rail lines, or your entire mining outpost.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-142

It's a short one this week just talking about ongoing play testing and bug squashing. Maybe release next week but they're already changed some things as they find them playing. Such as halving the time needed to pick up rail tracks and increasing inventory space in the late game via the armour pieces. A new command, /evolution, to show where the current evolution rate is coming from and since everything will now be circuit connectable, they added a graphic to items to give the wires somewhere to terminate (if the item is connected).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Anyone know what the thing is between the box and the rail signal? Some kind of new train thing?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

FISHMANPET posted:

Anyone know what the thing is between the box and the rail signal? Some kind of new train thing?

New train stop apparently

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Loader is now a crane? That'd be cool.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah if that's a loader that'd be pretty cool.

Also, what's in the upper left corner? And why would I want to connect my wall to the circuit network?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Also, what's in the upper left corner? And why would I want to connect my wall to the circuit network?

Belt and maybe as part of some defense warning network that your guns are being over run and the wall damaged.

Tobacco Grower
Jun 12, 2005
Ignorance is my power!

FISHMANPET posted:

I think the latter is a gate instead of a wall. I haven't used circuits much, but they showed something pretty cool with gates hooked up to logic circuits a couple of Friday updates ago. It's at the bottom of this page: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-140. The example is a train intersection with gates and walls. When the train is coming, the player's gates get closed, and when the player approaches the intersection, the train's gates close. Kind of like rail and chain signals, but interacting with you instead of just trains.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm so stoked for the next update, haven't played Factorio in an age and been holding out for all the QoL improvements.

I just want sexy track laying powers.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fans posted:

I'm so stoked for the next update, haven't played Factorio in an age and been holding out for all the QoL improvements.

I just want sexy track laying powers.

I was excited too, but then I realised the mods I use will be broken and I'll have to wait however long for them to come out for the updated version.

Only mods I care about are FARL and the mod that makes resources way more spaced apart, and the further out you go the more dense and rich they are.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Loopoo posted:

I was excited too, but then I realised the mods I use will be broken and I'll have to wait however long for them to come out for the updated version.

Only mods I care about are FARL and the mod that makes resources way more spaced apart, and the further out you go the more dense and rich they are.

The new track laying ability will make the loss of FARL less painful, and they were talking about integrating RSO into the new version. So you should be OK!

Edit: additionally, the devs have been telling modders what will change in 0.13, so it is possible that updated mods will be available right away.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 11, 2016

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just use RSO and tanker rail car, and I though the tanker was getting integrated.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Powers posted:

I just use RSO and tanker rail car, and I though the tanker was getting integrated.

Friday Facts #131 from back in March says that's been delayed until 0.14, unfortunately. I'm not sure how up to date that still is.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
also tankers are cheating

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Have they mentioned the space platform stuff since way back when when they showed a screenshot of it? I will admit that the new fire effects (oh god yes) and burning down entire forests has me satisfied for now, but I need a reason to start mass producing those rockets if they want me to start using those new train track laying tools.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Stereotype posted:

I only use it in place of the fill barrel and empty barrel layout. Managing barrels is just too annoying, so I finally switched to tankers. I was tempted to use them for things like lubricant and sulfuric acid, too, but that's still a pretty short distance that it's going.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Stereotype posted:

what

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
The rail tanker mod is objectively inferior to barrels since you transport less than a cargo wagon and it takes longer to load/unload.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Dootman posted:

The rail tanker mod is objectively inferior to barrels since you transport less than a cargo wagon and it takes longer to load/unload.

Yeah, okay, have fun putting in barreling-debarreling facilities, and managing the barrel delivery to remote oil outposts. That's top-notch gameplay right there.
I woul like to not that in the context of special factorio situations that might not even work, as, for example, in unstable ground you might not have anywhere near the oil where you could barrel it.
In that same vein, tankers allow you to transport any liquid anywhere, something that vanilla barreling lacks.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dootman posted:

Not if you use express pumps from the Flow Control mod!

Really, oil barrels are the cheat. They're the developers cheating by adding a lovely workaround instead of making their fluid model actually work.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just really disliked barrel management and ended up having one car dedicated to empty barrels, and if I wanted to handle the surge oil when I first built a new oil outpost, I'd need to overbuild the barreling facility only to have it drop to something like 5% utilization after a short while. Also, tankers make more sense logically.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

YeOldeButchere posted:

Have they mentioned the space platform stuff since way back when when they showed a screenshot of it? I will admit that the new fire effects (oh god yes) and burning down entire forests has me satisfied for now, but I need a reason to start mass producing those rockets if they want me to start using those new train track laying tools.

As far as I know, they have not talked about that in context if 0.13. It's still in the works but is very much a distant goal.

There's plenty of self imposed goals you could try, like launching 1 rocket per minute. RSO will help force you use trains, too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I like the idea of oil barreling transport as a separate mode of logistics, but I'm also hypocritical in that I have never set it up. I have to assume some day I will take my medicine because I usually set up pipelines instead of mess with tanker mods, and setting up a barreling scheme is no doubt easier than trying to place all the underground pipe and pumps needed to pipe oil around.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oil barrels really aren't that hard to set up. Set your train up with one car for empty barrels and one for full. Have your barrel-making assembler feed into the same chest as the barrel-emptying one and set smart inserters/requester chests so that new barrels leave enough space for the emptying station to deposit the empties.
Personally I feel it adds an extra dimension to factory logistics, so you need to treat oil differently to all the other raw resources beyond just using a different kind of rail car.

I'd like to see more fluids become barrellable so you can integrate them into the logistic bots system. (Yes, I know there's mods for that, but it's a bit clumsy to have a separate recipe for filling and emptying barrels with each type of fluid)

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

DmitriX posted:

Yeah, okay, have fun putting in barreling-debarreling facilities, and managing the barrel delivery to remote oil outposts. That's top-notch gameplay right there.
I woul like to not that in the context of special factorio situations that might not even work, as, for example, in unstable ground you might not have anywhere near the oil where you could barrel it.
In that same vein, tankers allow you to transport any liquid anywhere, something that vanilla barreling lacks.

My comment was in reference to the person calling it a cheat, which it isn't. I use the rail tanker mod myself because I don't much care for barreling up oil and to have a different kind of station to set up now and then. Also, tankers make more logical sense since that's how bulk liquids are moved on rail networks in real life.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you could put barrels of liquids into a pocket dimension (ie chests and railcars) several times larger than an equivalent tanker, you better believe that's how they'd store and transport it in real life.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zedprime posted:

If you could put barrels of liquids into a pocket dimension (ie chests and railcars) several times larger than an equivalent tanker, you better believe that's how they'd store and transport it in real life.

Alternatively, if pipelines were as easy and flexible as they are in the Factorio universe, no one would bother with rail.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just installed the mod with express pumps and thank you to whomever mentioned that. Now my tankers are actually unloading in a reasonable amount of time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Platystemon posted:

Alternatively, if pipelines were as easy and flexible as they are in the Factorio universe, no one would bother with rail.
You nearly see that with crude. Its all by ship, barge, or pipeline. Rail tanker is just an awkward size for the quantities of it moving into refineries, and port terminal to refinery is a permanent enough route to justify pipeline infrastructure.

Maybe someday Factorio, Transport Tycoon, and Capitalism will have a threeway baby so there's enough interplay between manufacturing, logistics, and economics that could make the different modes of transportation useful in the correct, unique circumstances.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zedprime posted:

You nearly see that with crude. Its all by ship, barge, or pipeline. Rail tanker is just an awkward size for the quantities of it moving into refineries, and port terminal to refinery is a permanent enough route to justify pipeline infrastructure.

Maybe someday Factorio, Transport Tycoon, and Capitalism will have a threeway baby so there's enough interplay between manufacturing, logistics, and economics that could make the different modes of transportation useful in the correct, unique circumstances.

We ship massive amounts of crude by rail in North America. So crude by rail is very much a thing.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

zedprime posted:

I'm hoping they add in ships and planes to Factorio so I can just play Transport Tycoon but with alien bug monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Trabisnikof posted:

We ship massive amounts of crude by rail in North America. So crude by rail is very much a thing.
From where to where? I have never seen a crude tanker, but I have also lived where just about every drop moves by barge and pipeline.