Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Matt Drudge gonna Drudge.

EDIT: Save you some space why don't I.

toxxxxxxxx

awwww, you removed the tabs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The dude in LA apparently told police outright that he was going to the Pride parade so I think he can safely figure out his motives.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean, would it have been too much for him just to say Radical Islam just to cut off all the inevitable faux outrage over him not doing so? Honest question.

It literally means nothing and it does nothing but empower the anti-muslim idiots to say 'see finally even the president agrees'. It's like demanding the cops call every crime involving a black person 'black caused crime' or something.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The dude in LA apparently told police outright that he was going to the Pride parade so I think he can safely figure out his motives.

maybe he bought gay guns and wanted to march with them in the parade

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It literally means nothing and it does nothing but empower the anti-muslim idiots to say 'see finally even the president agrees'. It's like demanding the cops call every crime involving a black person 'black caused crime' or something.

That's true. I just dread the incoming shitstorm that is inevitably going to drown out the news about the actual attack itself.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sir Tonk posted:

toxxxxxxxx

awwww, you removed the tabs...

Yeah I've been holding on to a couple links to people toxxing for a Democrat to be the next president but I gave up on actually caring about them after too many people ended up doing so. Got pretty boring pretty fast.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean, would it have been too much for him just to say Radical Islam just to cut off all the inevitable faux outrage over him not doing so? Honest question.

Change "radical Islam" to "birth certificate" and i think you will understand a little bit more about President Obama.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sir Tonk posted:

maybe he bought gay guns and wanted to march with them in the parade

"Aw poo poo I thought this was the Lovers of Guns Bombs and Threatining-objects parade!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's true. I just dread the incoming shitstorm that is inevitably going to drown out the news about the actual attack itself.

The problem is its been shown time and time again that if you finally give in and give these guys what they want they just demand something else. And they won't give you credit for giving them it, they'll just use your delay as another attack. If Obama came out and said "radical islamic terrorism" then Republicans would just talk about how weak he is to take so long and then give in all while claiming this means he agrees with every islamaphobic idea they have.

You know, besides the fact that there's actual reasons Obama doesn't say "islamic terrorism" like not wanting to paint a broad brush across billions of people who loosely share a religion, not wanting to cause diplomatic headaches with muslim countries, or in this case the fact that no evidence has come out that the guy actually had any ties to a terrorist group besides invoking their name.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Found this gem of a post on some video game site. RPG Codex is a great site full of wonderful people like this.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

STAC Goat posted:

the fact that no evidence has come out that the guy actually had any ties to a terrorist group besides invoking their name.

What? You mean that's not a good enough reason to denounce an entire religion?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It does still amaze me that we decided the Planned Parenthood attack wasn't terrorism. Dude even had bombs.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It was just an honest question on my part, I didn't think through the ramifications.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It was just an honest question on my part, I didn't think through the ramifications.

Which member of the House Republican Caucus are you?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Which member of the House Republican Caucus are you?

The closeted gay one.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

or in this case the fact that no evidence has come out that the guy actually had any ties to a terrorist group besides invoking their name.

Just like in Harry Potter, that's all it takes.

I didn't really keep up with it after it fell out of the news, but didn't this end up being the case with the San Bernadino shooters too?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah I've been holding on to a couple links to people toxxing for a Democrat to be the next president but I gave up on actually caring about them after too many people ended up doing so. Got pretty boring pretty fast.

I respect your dedication

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fknlo posted:

Just like in Harry Potter, that's all it takes.

I didn't really keep up with it after it fell out of the news, but didn't this end up being the case with the San Bernadino shooters too?

It was a little more nuanced (the wife seemed to have radicalized the husband, and the wife had been radicalized in part from having spent time in Saudi Arabia) but yes, aside from proclaiming allegiance on Facebook, there was no sign that the San Bernardino shooters were actively associated with ISIS.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The closeted gay one.

that narrows you down to like two hundred different members.

good politics guy
May 17, 2016

by zen death robot

ComradeCosmobot posted:

if he's not associated with isis, that means muslims who aren't associated with isis are also dangerous. gg

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

good politics guy posted:

if he's not associated with isis, that means muslims who aren't associated with isis are also dangerous. gg

I'm ok with Trump trying to go down this road. I'm sure it's a smooth one.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Has anybody interviewed prominent leaders in the gay community about this yet? I'm pretty sure they were already well aware of the threat fundamentalist religion posed to them

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/JohnDiesattheEn/status/742054768567259136

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also I've got my doubts as to how much this helps Trump given that:

1) San Bernadino didn't help him
2) Hillary's nickname in a lot of circles is Killary

I think though if it DOESN'T help him, it becomes a lot more likely that the GOP risks a fracture and ousts him from the nomination

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If Obama says "radical Islam" or "Islamic terrorism" in such a way then he may as well recruit for ISIS personally.

Propaganda is a pretty big deal.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I don't see a way this helps the GOP due to the nature of the victims. If they come out as suddenly pro LGBT, it looks opportunistic. If they stick to being anti-LGBT, it looks awful.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Epic High Five posted:

Also I've got my doubts as to how much this helps Trump given that:

1) San Bernadino didn't help him
2) Hillary's nickname in a lot of circles is Killary

I think though if it DOESN'T help him, it becomes a lot more likely that the GOP risks a fracture and ousts him from the nomination

Haven't there been a bunch of "who do you feel safe with protecting our country?" polls that went against Trump? It seems like an inherent assumption we make that just because Trump talks tough on terrorism that people actually buy what he's selling. Besides of course the percentage of the percentage he's long had.

As someone else said it helps him because it takes the media's attention off his many problems and puts it on something he can yell about. But honestly I think its a toss up that Trump even gets through this news cycle without saying another potentially damaging crazy thing like "we should kill/jail his family" or "I guess we need to investigate/ban all Muslim American citizens since he wasn't an immigrant" or go back to his bizarre "we need to kick ISIS off the internet" thing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For the people who do these kinds of attacks it is a literal dream come true for the President of the United States to go on TV and say "Radical Islam did this awful thing to us."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Haven't there been a bunch of "who do you feel safe with protecting our country?" polls that went against Trump? It seems like an inherent assumption we make that just because Trump talks tough on terrorism that people actually buy what he's selling. Besides of course the percentage of the percentage he's long had.

As someone else said it helps him because it takes the media's attention off his many problems and puts it on something he can yell about. But honestly I think its a toss up that Trump even gets through this news cycle without saying another potentially damaging crazy thing like "we should kill/jail his family" or "I guess we need to investigate/ban all Muslim American citizens since he wasn't an immigrant" or go back to his bizarre "we need to kick ISIS off the internet" thing.

I think the fact that his response so far has been to laugh and thank his followers for telling him he was right was already a big dumb move

Of course as a general rule, I'm very in favor of Trump speaking more about how the Internet works after that first time when it sounded like he was describing a digital subway

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

JeffersonClay posted:

3 lbs of tannerite is enough to create shrapnel that can sever a limb at 30 yards range.

http://onlineathens.com/mobile/2016-03-23/walton-county-man-has-leg-severed-while-blowing-lawn-mower

A guy in Oregon used it to commit suicide last year.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2015/03/family_of_man_who_died_in_mt_h.html

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Nah, they were deleting all articles, too. /r/News mods were censoring all coverage as soon as it was revealed there were Islamist links.

And it wasn't the site admins, it was the /r/News mods, which is the default US news sub. This had the effect of diverting probably 10,000+ people to Trump's subreddit (huge benefit) and resulting in his sub being whose articles hit the front page since it was the only sub covering the shooting for a while.

The censorship was great for him and that tweet's just bullshit

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

I don't see a way this helps the GOP due to the nature of the victims. If they come out as suddenly pro LGBT, it looks opportunistic. If they stick to being anti-LGBT, it looks awful.

You follow the Politoons thread - you know how Mike Lester and the McCoys concern troll "why are you gays worrying about marriage and rights when you should be worried about ISLAMIC TERRORIST WILL THROW YOU OFF A BUILDING"?

Now imagine all Republicans making that same argument for the next month. How can anyone declare Republicans homophobic when they are the best at stopping terrorist, who are in truth the REAL enemy of homosexuals?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Yeah it's an interesting dynamic. Everyone knows that the Republican party is the group that outright demonizes LGBT people and tries to discriminate against them both in the way of legality and inciting outright violence.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Is it true that the nightclub was hosting a Latinx night? If so this is actually a preview to when Trump activates his immigration brownshirts imho

:stare:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Eschers Basement posted:

You follow the Politoons thread - you know how Mike Lester and the McCoys concern troll "why are you gays worrying about marriage and rights when you should be worried about ISLAMIC TERRORIST WILL THROW YOU OFF A BUILDING"?

Now imagine all Republicans making that same argument for the next month. How can anyone declare Republicans homophobic when they are the best at stopping terrorist, who are in truth the REAL enemy of homosexuals?

More people died in a terrorist attacks under Republican administrations.

Always funny how everyone forgets about that 9/11 thing that happened

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Glumslinger posted:

That was an outlier that clearly shouldn't count.

He kept us safe.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

9/11 was Clinton's fault, didn't you get the memo?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

This shooting wont matter in a month because none of the other mass shootings mattered a month afterwords.

If classrooms full of dead school kids don't change someone's mind nothing will.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Trump actually called out Bush in regards to 911 happening on his watch in one of the debates so that line of reasoning won't really work against him personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

• Locked thread