Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xae posted:

This shooting wont matter in a month because none of the other mass shootings mattered a month afterwords.

If classrooms full of dead school kids don't change someone's mind nothing will.

You're wrong because classrooms full of dead kids won't help Republicans but a Democrat Islamic Terrorist attacking the Gays does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The dude in LA apparently told police outright that he was going to the Pride parade so I think he can safely figure out his motives.
Hey, maybe some time in the near future we'll get a fundamentalist Christian and a fundamentalist Muslim try to bomb the same establishment/parade! Then we'll finally get the best control sample!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is pretty much JebBushCampaign.jpg

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
When are we gonna stop killing each other :smith:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
kill everyone, it's the only way to prevent all this violence

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I will say if it turns out that the attempted LA pride bomber is a white evangelical, the dueling narratives will be interested to watch play out

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

I don't see "radical Islam" in either one of those statements. Think I'm gonna have to vote Trump in the general.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

I will say if it turns out that the attempted LA pride bomber is a white evangelical, the dueling narratives will be interested to watch play out

Sorry buddy the media (outside of slate) will forget about the LA dude and there won't be any dueling narrative.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's what the place he worked at does:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm going to be pissed if On The Media cheaps out and just replays their "Mass Shooting News Consumer Handbook" and their "Act of Terror News Consumer Handbook"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Sorry buddy the media (outside of slate) will forget about the LA dude and there won't be any dueling narrative.

We've got another 3 weeks of Pride festivals to go, it'll come back up, especially if he turns out to be an evangelical which the LGBT is less quick to forgive than the media at large

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Xae posted:

This shooting wont matter in a month because none of the other mass shootings mattered a month afterwords.

If classrooms full of dead school kids don't change someone's mind nothing will.

My pretend ability to defend my home against nonexistent invaders is far more important than your schoolchildren.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

Whoa, "Federal" security? Sounds like a FALSE FLAG in the making Joe! Thanks for the heads up! You mentioned it before, but now I'm certain that InfoWars will be on the case before too long.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Bashez posted:

Even after he pledged to ISIS somehow his religion is off limits to you.

You can condemn homophobia while refusing to indulge in Islamophobia. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 12, 2016

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

How about all three, Bernie?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it's interesting that people are arguing about whether to blame religion, or politics, when the number one correlative factor between mass shooters is that they're all men. and i don't see men apologizing for their extreme violence as a minority group

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's interesting that people are arguing about whether to blame religion, or politics, when the number one correlative factor between mass shooters is that they're all men. and i don't see men apologizing for their extreme violence as a minority group

I apologize for all men

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Glumslinger posted:

I apologize for all men

thank you for having the courage to speak out against male violence when so many cowardly men do not

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

thank you for having the courage to speak out against male violence when so many cowardly men do not

Not all men :v:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Epic High Five posted:

We've got another 3 weeks of Pride festivals to go, it'll come back up, especially if he turns out to be an evangelical which the LGBT is less quick to forgive than the media at large

Pride events carry on into late August, even in big cities, so it won't end for the summer.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean, would it have been too much for him just to say Radical Islam just to cut off all the inevitable faux outrage over him not doing so? Honest question.
Remember, the people currently stomping ISIL in the nuts in Iraq and Syria (and Libya) are largely Muslim.

Obama is doing exactly the right thing, and I applaud him for not giving into Republican requests to say the three magic words that they think will make all scary people vanish into the Phantom Zone.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

cheese eats mouse posted:

You can condemn homophobia while refusing to indulge in Islamophobia how is this not hard?

Given Muslims' proclivity to murder people for their religious beliefs and the widespread tolerance of it as a religion I think Islamophobia is a rational belief.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Joementum posted:

holy poo poo he worked for G4S??

:laffo: for days

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Bashez posted:

Given Christians' proclivity to murder people for their religious beliefs and the widespread tolerance of it as a religion I think Christianphobia is a rational belief.

You're an idiot.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

fade5 posted:

Remember, the people currently stomping ISIL in the nuts in Iraq and Syria (and Libya) are largely Muslim.

Obama is doing exactly the right thing, and I applaud him for not giving into Republican requests to say the three magic words that they think will make all scary people vanish into the Phantom Zone.

I'm curious though; for people who want him to say it, what is their reasoning? What difference does it really make? There is only negative backlash that can come from doing it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bashez posted:

Given Muslims' proclivity to murder people for their religious beliefs and the widespread tolerance of it as a religion I think Islamophobia is a rational belief.

men murder far more people than muslims, misandry is a rational belief

men should be banned from owning firearms until they can prove that they are responsible, mature adults

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I was wrong. It would have been a bad idea for him to say it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TBeats posted:

I'm curious though; for people who want him to say it, what is their reasoning? What difference does it really make? There is only negative backlash that can come from doing it.

they think that there's this massive islamic terror threat destroying america that obama is ignoring, they think this because they are racist cowards

but also anything obama does is the wrong thing. if obama said it they'd be just as mad at him for not saying it sooner. nothing obama can do will make these people happy which is why grown ups ignore them

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

You can condemn homophobia while refusing to indulge in Islamophobia how is this not hard?

You have to twist yourself into a pretty hosed up pretzel to pretend Islam itself isn't homophobic though, in theory and in practice. So is Christianity of course, but I don't recall Paul putting gay people to death by knocking over stone walls on them or throwing them off buildings (as Abu Bakr and Ali did). Western liberalism is in a weird place where its adherents have to defend the rights of both gay people and the people who believe in a religion that says gay people should be killed, and it does so largely by pretending the latter issue doesn't exist or is just a fringe view when it comes to Islam. It actually is a fringe view in Western Christianity now because adherents with those hosed up views were educated, challenged and resisted (which is obviously preferable to illiberal responses like blanket bans), but 21st Century liberals seem to struggle to understand what to do when two minority communities come into conflict, as Europe has already proven with its pathetic failure to protect its Jewish community from violence.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sinteres posted:

You have to twist yourself into a pretty hosed up pretzel to pretend Islam itself isn't homophobic though, in theory and in practice. So is Christianity of course, but I don't recall Paul putting gay people to death by knocking over stone walls on them or throwing them off buildings (as Abu Bakr and Ali did). Western liberalism is in a weird place where its adherents have to defend the rights of both gay people and the people who believe in a religion that says gay people should be killed, and it does so largely by pretending the latter issue doesn't exist or is just a fringe view when it comes to Islam. It actually is a fringe view in Western Christianity now because adherents with those hosed up views were educated, challenged and resisted (which is obviously preferable to illiberal responses like blanket bans), but 21st Century liberals seem to struggle to understand what to do when two minority communities come into conflict, as Europe has already proven with its pathetic failure to protect its Jewish community from violence.

islam isn't homophobic and it's silly for you to use bigotry to justify bigotry. at best this argument leads us to conclude you're not better than the people you hate

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
FBI and ATF just gave a presser.

The FBI had interviewed the shooter twice over the past few years in regard to terrorist links, but was not currently surveling him.

ATF says that they have tracked the weapons used and that they were recently purchased directly by the shooter.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Joementum posted:

This reads like a dystopian ad. "You can order our products, which include people."

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Sinteres posted:

. It actually is a fringe view in Western Christianity

so ISIS and extreme wahhabism Saudi-style aren't fringe views eh?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yea it's a thing where at first it feels like a 'wait why does this matter just say the meaningless words so they stop whining' thing, but then you realize 'oh wait this isn't actually about the words at all is it'.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

islam isn't homophobic and it's silly for you to use bigotry to justify bigotry. at best this argument leads us to conclude you're not better than the people you hate

I don't hate Muslims any more than I hate Christians. Believers of either faith who stick to what their religion actually says about gay people are awful, and need to be taught that homophobia isn't acceptable in a modern society.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's fine, it's not immediately understandable at first glance why Obama does things the way he does, but usually there's a good reason behind it.:)

And you were willing to admit you were wrong, that's always a good thing to be able to admit.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Get more people in the Christian community condemning and putting a stop to people like Kevin Swanson and Westboro and this argument would probably be a good deal less hollow

A lot of Christian anti-LGBT violence in particular isn't talked about because it's legal in a lot of places they've successfully enacted Talmudic Law, stuff like camps where kids are sent to be raped until they're straight or commit suicide

It's an issue any religion with people who feel the need to attach "fundamentalist" to it has

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sinteres posted:

I don't hate Muslims any more than I hate Christians. Believers of either faith who stick to what their religion actually says about gay people are awful, and need to be taught that homophobia isn't acceptable in a modern society.

what do those religions actually say about gay people. enlighten us, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

ColdPie posted:

My pretend ability to defend my home against nonexistent invaders is far more important than your schoolchildren.

unironically agree

• Locked thread