Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For Explorer guy, what about :

Honda Pilot (big) or CR-V (smaller)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Mazda CX7
Various GM softroaders, i think all the new ones come with CarPlay and the like which is neat.

Those look like good ideas. We'll look into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fyodor posted:

I have the non-touch My Ford bullshit and I love spinning the wheel of chance on whether a podcast or music will start up. Also if you are on bluetooth and plug your phone into the usb port to charge mostly it'll switch the audio to usb but sometimes it won't and it takes about 30 seconds to decide all of which is incredibly fun.

Wow....that's the exact same way my $120 head unit works. Pretty sad.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My favorite issue we had with MFT was the clock constantly drifting off by hours. Randomly it started, and randomly it went away with absolutely no input from me.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'm looking at stuff like this: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5609824026.html

How bad of an idea is it to go after early 90s F150s? I need to get rid of my new edge because the value vs insurance cost is ridiculous, so a beater truck would be a nice useful replacement and that sets my budget at around 3-5k since I dont want a payment

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

So I've got a 2000 Lincoln LS that is waaaay too maintanence intensive. Like, a good month's broken stuff budget is $200.

Proposed Budget: $8k to $10k-ish
New or Used: Used oh god
Body Style: sedan or small truck
How will you be using the car?: Primarily for commuting/grocery getting, with a small side of taking my mountain bike out, plus I have my eye on a dirt bike in the mid-term future.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) Leather is nice but not a deal breaker.
What aspects are most important to you? Practicality and cost of ownership are my foremost concerns, but I'm trying to avoid the boring stuff like a Prius, Corolla, Civic, etc. Luxury is a factor, but for things that have a lower-market sibling that helps keep parts cheaper.

I'm currently considering a 2002 or later Ranger, Mazda3, or a 2010-2012 Ford Fusion or an MKZ, but I need internet strangers to tell me how dumb I am for considering these before pulling the trigger on anything.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
None of those are bad choices, I have a '11 MKZ and I love the poo poo out of it. Only issue is that I use the Sync USB instead of the bluetooth for music off my phone, because the Bluetooth is finicky.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You really have to decide if you want a small truck or you want a sedan.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Where are the

UTES?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I finally pulled the trigger and got a 2016 Mazda 3 itouring Hatch. Most of my early quotes were around 20800 and true car and edmunds told me that I should be looking at trying to pay 20527-20888. I was pushing for 20,300 and at one point I tried to get a dealer to drop it to 20k even and I'd drive in from out of town and pick it up after work but they all declined. Then I started asking for quotes making the distinction between manufacturers incentives vs dealer discount and things went... much better for me.

The dealership I had heard badly about (lots of high pressure tactics, lots of 'we dont have it in stock anymore but try this') dropped to Invoice. Then they applied the manufacturer's incentive and I was at 19143, which makes me wonder what kind of hold-back and behind the scenes stuff they were getting. I didn't get hammered in the finance department, they offered what boiled down to $700 worth of oil changes for $1500 and warranty items I was already covered for or things my auto insurance was already doing so I passed and they didn't push it anymore.

So I actually had a positive buying experience thanks to you fine folks and the power of the internets.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 11, 2016

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
I own a 2012 Chevy Malibu. It's been a good vehicle so far, but it doesn't handle well in snow. This is something that's always been bothering me. I've owned this car for 4 years, but I've had a few too many close calls for comfort. Last November in a freak storm I got in a slight fender bender that thankfully didn't result in any damage to either vehicle except for a few scratches.

Fast forward to the present. This car is going to need new tires soon, and possibly new brakes. Other than this, it still runs very well and has 43000 miles. I'm considering trading this vehicle in for a newer one that has 4 wheel drive, or at least all wheel drive. My last vehicle (a 2000 Chevy Blazer) had 4 wheel drive, and for all the faults it had it never let me down on snowy roads.

I know it isn't very economical to buy a newer vehicle when my current one still has at least 5 years left in it, but there's a safety element to consider about this as well.

A couple questions-

-I've never used all wheel drive, but from what I've read AWD is generally better for people like me that don't really do any off road driving and only drives in snow every once in a while. (I avoid driving in snow whenever possible) I'd like to go with AWD drive if I can, or would 4WD really be better? I think it would be a bit overkill.

-I would like to trade in my current vehicle. Would the extra trade in value I get for replacing the tires and brakes be worth the expense of doing so? Also, the passenger side window doesn't roll down using the driver side button, but I don't think that's really an issue worth fixing. It may need a front end alignment as well.

-Should I reconsider this altogether and fix my Malibu? It would certainly be the economical choice. But having at least AWD would put my mind at ease and I know it would have prevented that last accident. I live in Michigan, so no matter how careful I am, I'll get stuck in snow driving at least a few times every winter.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The thread will tell you to buy snow tires and forget awd for snow.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Double post

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

euphronius posted:

The thread will tell you to buy snow tires and forget awd for snow.

2wd <Awd <2wd with snows <awd with snows.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What tires are on that Malibu in the winter? The absolute worst option from a cost perspective is trading that thing in.

Put snow tires on.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Vinny the Shark posted:

...AWD would put my mind at ease and I know it would have prevented that last accident.

I'm curious how you think AWD would have prevented an accident. AWD does NOT help stop or steer (all cars are "4 wheel brake" and "2 wheel steer"). AWD is about getting your car moving from a dead stop.

Snow tires DO help stop and steer, which is why they're so important.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/09/do-you-really-need-awd-in-the-snow/index.htm

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good snow tires can make a fwd car incredible in the snow. My wife's Mazda 3 with snow tires is far better and much less scary to drive in slick conditions than my awd Volvo. A good set mounted and balance should be around $500 to $700 depending on the wheels.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On top of that, you reduce your wear on your 3-season tires so both sets last longer. Unless you drive crazy miles, you'd probably end up replacing tires due to age before treadwear.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

plester1 posted:

I'm curious how you think AWD would have prevented an accident. AWD does NOT help stop or steer (all cars are "4 wheel brake" and "2 wheel steer").

:colbert:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/mm_active_steering.html
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/5series/sedan/2013/showroom/dynamic/integral_active_steering.html

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm wondering how you trashed a new set of tires and brakes in just 43k miles?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IRQ posted:

Depends on the car. My mazda goes though brakes like a crackhead with crack. (Well, front brake, my rear drums will last forever.)
Also, most OEM tires won't last more than 40k mi.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
Alright, point taken about the snow tires. Sounds like the suggestion here is to have two sets of tires? Storing a separate set would be difficult. Would there be any downside to using snow tires year round? Aside from increased wear, of course.

plester1 posted:

I'm curious how you think AWD would have prevented an accident. AWD does NOT help stop or steer (all cars are "4 wheel brake" and "2 wheel steer"). AWD is about getting your car moving from a dead stop.

Snow tires DO help stop and steer, which is why they're so important.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/09/do-you-really-need-awd-in-the-snow/index.htm

I don't actually know. All I can say is that my last vehicle that had 4WD stopped very well on snowy roads when it was active. The difference was huge.

IRQ posted:

I said the brakes might need replacement. I checked my front brakes last week and they looked a bit worn down, but FWIW they still work just fine and I don't notice any loss of braking power as of yet. I need to get an oil change soon, and I always take the car to the dealership so they can do the 27 point inspection while it's in there. They can tell me for sure.

As for the tires, I can have the rears and fronts switched to milk them out a little longer. The front left had more wear than the front right, so I think an alignment would help. Both the tires and brakes are original parts. I purchased the vehicle with 3000 miles on it already.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
The ability to stop on snowy surfaces is 100% a function of the tires. If you're close to changing them
now, and your little accident happened last winter, it certainly could have been easily avoided by having snow tires. 4wd or Awd or whatever-the-gently caress wheel drive has nothing to do with it. It just seems that way 'cause typically 4wd trucks/suv's have more aggressive tread designs.

And don't make the mistake of driving on snow tires in the summer, they're like grease in hot weather. I wrecked a perfectly good car when I was a kid doing that, cranked the wheel to avoid stopped traffic and just slid into the other car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A lot of locations that require snow tires and all seasons/summer tires will have shops willing to store them for a fee. Then you schedule whenever you need to swap them at that shop.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Vinny the Shark posted:

Alright, point taken about the snow tires. Sounds like the suggestion here is to have two sets of tires? Storing a separate set would be difficult. Would there be any downside to using snow tires year round? Aside from increased wear, of course.

I don't actually know. All I can say is that my last vehicle that had 4WD stopped very well on snowy roads when it was active. The difference was huge.
Your 4WD car probably had more aggressive tires (or even just narrower).

Don't drive on your snow tires in the summer. They don't work as well in the hot. Perhaps more significant is the increased wear. You say you don't care about the wear, but with proper snows, you will be buying new tires every year, if not more often. The only snow tire that works in the summer is the Nokian WR line, though they still make some concessions to do this (and are expensive).
My recommendation is next fall, go to tire rack and buy a set of tires and wheels and swap them fall and spring. I've stored them in spare rooms, closets, storage units, or basements.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
When I first discovered snow tires, I bought a set for my new truck before huge snowstorm hit. Driving around people stuck in ditches was a magical experience

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Unless you're in a hilly or mountainous area with unplowed snow you don't really need awd or snow tires. Awd is just marketing. And people who need 4wd know who they are (farmers, etc who get stuck in mud and/or are pulling heavy loads)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Unless you're in a hilly or mountainous area with unplowed snow you don't really need awd or snow tires. Awd is just marketing. And people who need 4wd know who they are (farmers, etc who get stuck in mud and/or are pulling heavy loads)

Have you ever driven on snow tires? The difference is amazing. And they don't need any real conditions other than to be cold to be more effective. All-seasons are not as effective as winter tires on clean and dry, but cold, pavement. Everyone has an oh poo poo moment in the winter, whether it is traffic slowing at the last minute or someone swerving into your lane. Snow tires make it more likely you'll be cursing at that rear end in a top hat from within the car, not on the side of the road with a busted car.

I agree with that most people don't need AWD, but it is way more than marketing. It does make winter a lot more fun if you like loving around in cars, but it is more of a nice to have than something you "need."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I have not, no. I'm more annoyed with awd than snow tires and should've made that clearer. I've lived in northern Illinois my whole life, including the country with unplowed roads and hills, and think most people nationwide worry way too much about awd.

That being said next car I buy I'll get snow tires right off the bat, they don't make sense on my beater car right now though.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sadly one of the biggest reasons I am considering AWD on my next car is because the WA state DOT and state patrol have different chain-up rules for mountain passes in the winter based on drive configuration, not based on tires. It's the stupidest rule ever. If there's more than half an inch of snow on the road they'll post chain-up required for all 2WD vehicles, but not for AWD, regardless of what sort of tires you are running. They aren't exactly check-pointing people, but if there were to be an incident it could be problematic. They are so over-eager to require chains it's ridiculous.

I'm breaking the law when I don't chain up my 2WD with snow tires, but the other guy with lovely all-seasons and AWD is not, despite all objective evidence that snow tires out-handle and out-brake all-seasons in winter conditions regardless of drive wheels. Also chains are just loving awful. And these are on major highways (I-90 and US-2) that get a lot of traffic and plowed quickly.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 12, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

A lot of locations that require snow tires and all seasons/summer tires will have shops willing to store them for a fee. Then you schedule whenever you need to swap them at that shop.

This costs me about $60/year in an urban high cost area. Total annual cost is like $180/year to get them thrown on and taken off including the storage fees.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IRQ posted:

Urban driving is pretty feasible to run through a set of tires in less than that, and brakes in about that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Guinness posted:

Sadly one of the biggest reasons I am considering AWD on my next car is because the WA state DOT and state patrol have different chain-up rules for mountain passes in the winter based on drive configuration, not based on tires. It's the stupidest rule ever. If there's more than half an inch of snow on the road they'll post chain-up required for all 2WD vehicles, but not for AWD, regardless of what sort of tires you are running. They aren't exactly check-pointing people, but if there were to be an incident it could be problematic. They are so over-eager to require chains it's ridiculous.

I'm breaking the law when I don't chain up my 2WD with snow tires, but the other guy with lovely all-seasons and AWD is not, despite all objective evidence that snow tires out-handle and out-brake all-seasons in winter conditions regardless of drive wheels. Also chains are just loving awful. And these are on major highways (I-90 and US-2) that get a lot of traffic and plowed quickly.

Thew reason they have chain control is mostly to force the flatlanders to slow the gently caress down.
But, yes, this is a legitimate reason to get AWD.
So is ice racing

nm fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 12, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a really wide range in snow traction with all season tires too. The Pirelli P7 Cinturatos I put on my wife's previous car were fantastic in the winter. Far better than any other all season I've driven.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can and should ice race with FWD / RWD it is 100x more fun

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can and should ice race with FWD / RWD it is 100x more fun

You can. FWD won't be as fun and RWD really benefits from studded snows.
AWD makes you go the fastest though.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

This is something people should have to do who drive in cold climates. I don't think any of those cars had 4 wheel steering though so who knows how much funnier it would have been on the red car.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Does anyone keep track of depreciation of various vehicle models over time and make that data available to the public?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Thermopyle posted:

Does anyone keep track of depreciation of various vehicle models over time and make that data available to the public?

Lots of people try. The problem is that you are trying to track 2 moving targets(what people pay for used cars and what people pay for new cars) that can always change due to extrinsic events, so there's a limit to how much accuracy any set of numbers can achieve.

That being said some vehicles are easier to track than others. Toyota trucks and SUVs for example have a reputation for being very reliable and good used buys while also being sold almost always for MSRP with no room for haggling that figures for them are probably right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Plus depreciation in isolation isn't really that useful since capital cost is only a component of overall cost.

Edmunds tries to track cost of ownership and includes a depreciation component but I don't know how accurate it is. Probably directionally accurate, anyway, since they have pretty good transaction price data.