Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
This has never been done before who can blame them. There adjust aren't any games out there that track basic inventory and cash balance (and nothing else) for a few thousand players in one tiny map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
There are two groups on people working on the pu.

One are people panicing trying to get this poo poo into some semblence of order before they jmp ship and the other half think its funny as gently caress and dont give a poo poo anymore. No one thinks this poo poo is ever gonna be a real game.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If life is lile a box of chocolate, which chocolate would Squadron 42 be?

Right now, it's like one of those expensive sampler boxes that has every different type of chocolate that you could ever want. However, after you've bought it and opened it up at home, you discover that due to a packing error there's only half a mashed up chocolate in the box . Also there's something that looks suspiciously like mouse turds in some of the empty spaces. And then you discover you've lost the receipt and won't be able to return it to the store.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

TTerrible posted:

This has never been done before who can blame them. There adjust aren't any games out there that track basic inventory and cash balance (and nothing else) for a few thousand players in one tiny map.

You just do not know anything about database development. Never underestimate potential problems with database schmeg.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

A five minute video of Tophat farting on SurfaceDetail's balls. Should get some of the fetish market as well. I know there's a name for it, but googling "fart on balls fetish" is turning up results I really don't want to click on.

<honestly laughed out loud>

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Mass Effect: Andromeda looks like it could swipe SC from the public interest in one fell swoop.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

Viscous Soda posted:

Right now, it's like one of those expensive sampler boxes that has every different type of chocolate that you could ever want. However, after you've bought it and opened it up at home, you discover that due to a packing error there's only half a mashed up chocolate in the box . Also there's something that looks suspiciously like mouse turds in some of the empty spaces. And then you discover you've lost the receipt and won't be able to return it to the store.

More like when you get this giant Easter egg that looks awesome then gets left outside in the sun and you find out it was just a hollow mold.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

b'tak must be having the time of his life with 2.4 now that other players can't see him

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TTerrible posted:

Chris coded the database server himself

The devs tried to port it to 32bit CPUs for months, then they gave up and simply let it run on DOSBox

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

BigglesSWE posted:

Mass Effect: Andromeda looks like it could swipe SC from the public interest in one fell swoop.

Yup. And if that's coming out this fall, which they suggested (?) then coupled with the new Call of Duty, these will be the death knell of this non-existent game.

edit: of course not forgetting E:D and No Man's Sky.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Samizdata posted:

<honestly laughed out loud>

Im open to this

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

KiddieGrinder posted:

Yup. And if that's coming out this fall, which they suggested (?) then coupled with the new Call of Duty, these will be the death knell of this non-existent game.

edit: of course not forgetting E:D and No Man's Sky.

ME's already been confirmed to be a 2017 game.

That said it was nice to see some actual in-engine/gameplay footage of it instead of just CGI teasers.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Exposure posted:

ME's already been confirmed to be a 2017 game.

That said it was nice to see some actual in-engine/gameplay footage of it instead of just CGI cutscenes.

Ah shame. Well still, 2017 is better than never (Star Citizen), so there's that.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

KiddieGrinder posted:

Ah shame. Well still, 2017 is better than never (Star Citizen), so there's that.

To be fair a 2017 release will probably still be enough to help kill Squadron 42, unless CIG decides to rush the game so it actually comes out in 2016.

In which case it'll be death knell via suicide.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

guys i totally believe this twitter account

seems legit

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
Persistence, powered by Microsoft Access.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I suppose I might as well post it here too, for any EUers who want to take CIG to task for labelgate.

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/individuals/rights/index_en.htm

Check how your national jurisdiction has implemented these rules. In particular:

What are the obligations of people who control your data?

The Directive creates obligations for the persons or entities which collect your personal data ("data controllers") who must respect your rights while processing personal data entrusted to them.

What can you ask of data controllers?

Under EU rules, you have the following rights vis à vis data controllers:
  • Data controllers are required to inform you when they collect personal data about you;
  • You have the right to know the name of the controller, what the processing is going to be used for, to whom your data may be transferred;
  • You have the right to receive this information whether the data was obtained directly or indirectly, unless this information proves impossible or too difficult to obtain, or is legally protected;
  • You are entitled to ask the data controller if he or she is processing personal data about you;
  • You have the right to receive a copy of this data in intelligible form;
  • You have the right to ask for the deletion, blocking or erasing of the data.

Decisions about you based on automated processing

Decisions that can significantly affect your life, such as granting loans or insurance, are sometimes taken on the sole basis of automated data processing.

For this reason, data controllers must adopt suitable safeguards, such as giving you the opportunity to discuss the thinking behind the processing of the data or to contest decisions based on inaccurate data.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.
How wonderful. Annabelle "Boo" Huxley tried to shill Star Citizen on the Failbetter Games forums and got roundly crushed. I'm very pleased, Fallen London is a game I actually like.

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22331-star-citizen.aspx

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

capitalizing persistence and calling it a service

how loving far up their own asses must they be

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ponzi posted:

:lol:

I did include this bit though:

'The scooter bugs out a lot when backers use it.'

So I didn't mean the scooter would actually work properly, but just give the impression that RSI/CIG were now able to take a design from concept to in-game quickly, via their new-and-improved fidelitous pipeline.

The only thing they reproduce with full fidelity is failure. :colbert:

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

SurfaceDetail posted:

There are two groups on people working on the pu.

One are people panicing trying to get this poo poo into some semblence of order before they jmp ship and the other half think its funny as gently caress and dont give a poo poo anymore. No one thinks this poo poo is ever gonna be a real game.

This is why working for CIG is going to sink resumes... Well, at least some sperg thinks the game is still coming out. I feel bad for the programmers trying to save their careers. Gotta suck being in that climate..

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Synchronized posted:

How wonderful. Annabelle "Boo" Huxley tried to shill Star Citizen on the Failbetter Games forums and got roundly crushed. I'm very pleased, Fallen London is a game I actually like.

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22331-star-citizen.aspx

She's ridiculously emotionally invested, or a CIG plant, either way, she has the intellectual capacity of a pinhead.

People are begining to wake up, they are opening their eyes and finding that they are not alone, that they should not fear speaking out against this travesty and mind/wallet rape fest of the gaming community.

This is just the begining, once the momentum picks up, the media will finally pull their heads out of the sand and start asking questions, painful questions. The day will come where we, the people who dared ask questions, we will stand together, united, shoudler to shoulder with a common reason, and that reason shall be...

...to LOL!! :mmmhmm:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I feel it in my bones, that CIG is hosed in a big way now. Like the events of the past week leading up to now, it's trainwreck after trainwreck and combined with that DSmart tweet about the Austin studio shuttering and the obvious grasping at straws by the new TOS/strange twitter shill account, everything is pointing towards acceleration to collapse. The state of the "game" speaks for itself, to any CIG employees lurking this thread: get out now, this stupid company isn't worth your career.

atxsperg
Jan 29, 2016

I like cats for their cuddles, but hate the boxes of shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vgHOXeps0

really shows how amatuer cig is.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

I think you'll find that CIG shows how amateur CIG is.

Checkmate Goon!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sabreseven posted:

She's ridiculously emotionally invested, or a CIG plant, either way, she has the intellectual capacity of a pinhead.

People are begining to wake up, they are opening their eyes and finding that they are not alone, that they should not fear speaking out against this travesty and mind/wallet rape fest of the gaming community.

This is just the begining, once the momentum picks up, the media will finally pull their heads out of the sand and start asking questions, painful questions. The day will come where we, the people who dared ask questions, we will stand together, united, shoudler to shoulder with a common reason, and that reason shall be...

...to LOL!! :mmmhmm:

Sabre, I'm worried. The SA forums have changed you man. What happened to taking the high road and stating your well-deserved worries to a group of rationa...*farts*

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

code:
CREATE TABLE StarCitizen
(
playerID int,
aUEC int,
invisibleLimbs int,
relationshipToMajorTom varchar(255),
shavedPubes bit,
isGoon bit,
);
I HAVE CREATED PERSISTENCE but there appears to be some database smegma.

code:
INSERT INTO StarCitizen (shavedPubes)
VALUES ('yes');
DATABASE FIXED GET ME A DRINK.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

That's Star Citizen, right? Players exploring a massive new galaxy, filled with strange beasts, plants, and engaging emergent alien races?

Oh, it is made by another company. A competent company, with good leadership and a commitment to deliver goods to the customers.

I agree with Justin Thyme, this will be a very bad week for Star Citizen. If SurfaceDetail is right, CIG has no gameplay and videos to show for the next four months. CIG is hosed.

Question for SurfaceDetail, has there been a large loss of art talent recently? It looks like CIG art is falling down bad.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:
did i miss gorf's apologetic "2 weeks" for lack of andromeda in ea's presser?

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

whoa that looks good :D

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

redwalrus posted:

It does look good, but the main thing is that you know that it is coming out! And you don't need to pay a cent for that to happen. That has never been done before!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

redwalrus posted:

The citizens are already clamouring “it's not real gameplay”. :D

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

How in the blistering green gently caress does version 2.4WTF of ANY software "show potential"? By version 2.0 of anything, you should be past the potential stage and well into the polish stage.

But it's aN ALpHa! aNd NoT JUsST ANY ALPHA! IT'S A TRUE ALPHA

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Everything is Fine. :downs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4nrtgu/240_service_update/d46chsi

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Damage control on a Sunday.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol thats the type of poo poo you expect to read in 2013

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So just to make sure, the game is still kind of not fun, right? Like all drama aside, even if you're actually standing at your hangar with a ship ready to go it doesn't seem like there's any way you can be having the kind of fun a couple of these citizens are expressing.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
All this hype in this news cycle for games coming out. journalists jumping over each other for exclusives. Just imagine if CIG had a trailer out.

Maybe its wise that you don't advertise your generic Dr. Pibb clone at the superbowl.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

son of a bitch. G0rf was right, this actually looks half-decent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
SC-23055 MINATURE MUSTANG MISSING FROM DISPLAY CASE - FOUND FLYING AROUND HANGER

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT
Notice the model of my Mustang floating in the hanger behind my Reliant! Took pictures from various angles and verified that it was not in the display case.

EXPECTED RESULT
Not sure how or why it got out

AP fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 12, 2016

• Locked thread